Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refurbished Dell OptiPlex, 4GB RAM, 1TB HDD - €165 w. free delivery

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,978 ✭✭✭✭rob316

For video editing surely you would need a 7th gen i5 at a minimum, probably i7 even?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

There are two issues with video. One is actually working with it and getting a preview with no dropped frames. The second is the export or rendering of your work at the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The processor is the most important factor in your search. Those machines you linked to are 10 years old, or at least very close to it. I run a machine of that vintage with 16GB of RAM. It runs Windows 10 okay, it struggles with playing 1080p videos, and I wouldn't want to be rendering video on it these days.

You'd probably be best off building your own desktop PC to be honest.

Older. The first Core 2 Quads dropped nearly 12 years ago.

You'd pick up a 2nd hand i5 based machine twice as fast on adverts for half the price.

Now, it's a business, so all things considered a Core2Quad with a 1TB HDD, 22" monitor and 8GB ram with a warranty for €200 isn't that bad....but only for an elemental machine typing a few documents or watching netflix.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

Looking for a setup for home working, nothing strenuous just logging on to a VPN to access the work network. Are there better deals out there for low-ish spec bundles? I haven’t seen any prices this low...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,978 ✭✭✭✭rob316

The unsuspecting buyer will just see its windows 10 pc and think its a bargain. It will be lucky if it can run windows 10 and let you have a few pages on your browser open at once.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,734 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Buying refurbs is a bad idea anyway, even if they have some kind of warranty, they are second hand, ancient, usually heavily used dinosaurs of machines.

You'd actually be as well to build a lowspec machine yourself or ask someone to do it for you for 2 or 3 hundred quid. See the pc building and upgrading forum for ideas or adverts for people that build on spec

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

You can run Windows 10 on a old low powered pc. That is not the issue.

The issue is there is no point buying one when you can buy one that's 10yrs newer for the same price.

it's always a bad sign when they deliberately hide details in listings - e.g. no mention of the exact cpu used.
    that's a red flag to me - they are hiding the fact that it's a piece of sh1t.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

glasso wrote: »
    it's always a bad sign when they deliberately hide details in listings - e.g. no mention of the exact cpu used.
    that's a red flag to me - they are hiding the fact that it's a piece of sh1t.

Or that all the people involved in making the machine are long dead and nobody truly knows what's inside

I've seen commodore 64's with better specs

Advertisement