Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I don't know what I'm doing but I know what I've done

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,557 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Thursday 2/7/2020

A) Beltless High Bar Pin Squat (comp depth)
    92.5kg x 8 (@6)
    97.5kg x 8 (@7)
    102.5kg x 8 (@7.5)
    82.5kg x 13, 15

B) Seated DB OHP
    12.5kgs x 15
    15kgs x 15
    17.5kgs x 2 x 15
    15kgs x 3 x 15

Felt better with the positions on squat today than Monday. Less movement of pressure further up my foot. Keeping things tighter as well. The technique improvement will keep coming hopefully.

Enjoyed that. Did a lot of trying to increase the ROM of my hip flexors between sets and I really need to redouble my efforts on that at home as well because I haven't been doing enough of it; just strengthening stuff

Friday 3/7/2020

A) Beltless Snatch-Grip Deadlift
    135kg x 5 (@6)
    140kg x 5 (@7)
    145kg x 5 (@8)
    117.5kg x 14, 13

B) Floor Press
    82.5kgs x 6 (@9)

Snatch-Grip deadlift didn't hate me as much as I expected. Maybe I have just associated SG with RDLs and high rep RDLs for a long time and they can be terrible...

Was supposed to be pin press after but someone else had the only moveable bench so floor press it was. Reasonably happy with 82.5kg for a set of 6 at this point given then while I should be able to load it more,  I've always struggled to get a consistent movement with it.

Monday 6/7/2020

A) Beltless, Paused High Bar Squat
    105kg x 5 (@6)
    110kg x 5 (@7)
    115kg x 5 (@8)
    92.5kg x 12, 14

B) Tempo Bench  (4020)
    75kg x 5 (@9)

Legs felt a little bit stronger today. Couple of reps on the AMRAP were a little sloppy so had to refocus and make sure everything came up together. Happy enough with how the weight moved.

Tempo bench still sucks donkey balls

• Registered Users Posts: 12,734 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Are you getting Doms or do you feel the work you out in during COVID has helped your comeback?

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Are you getting Doms or do you feel the work you out in during COVID has helped your comeback?

Yeah I got some DOMS alright. Not really bad DOMS but I didn't escape them.

Overall volume in a session isn't that high because only two exercises so maybe that has something to do with it but the workouts have definitely mitigated against it being worse.

• Advertisement

Tuesday 7/7/2020

A) Incline Bench
    62.5kg x 5 (@6)
    67.5kg x 5 (@7)
    75kg x 5 (@8.5)
    60g x 12, 13

B) Snatch-Grip RDLs
    Sets of 12, working up in 10kg jumps
    Up to kg 125kg

Incline bench felt strong so moved up more for the top set than I had thought.

SG RDLs were moving fine but noticed my left glute was feeling a little strain as I moved up the weight so I just called it at 125.

Did a few sets of lat pulldowns at the end because I had some time.

Thursday 9/7/2020

95kg x 8 (@6)
    100kg x 8 (@7)
    105kg x 8 (@7.5)
    85kg x 13, 12

B) Seated DB OHP
    15kgs x 12
    17.5kgs x 4 x 12
    15kgs x 2 x 15

Was actually the other way around because I slept through the alarm somehow and got there when racks were full so did OHPs until one was free.

Got into a rack and it was a little hurried...though more so at the end. The 105 didn't feel any heavier than the 100 and if it wasn't early days I'd have added a bit more for an RPE 8.

Ran through the AMRAPS with short rests so few less reps than last week.

Friday 10/7/2020

140kg x 4 (@6)
    145kg x 4 (@7)
    150kg x 4 (@8)
    120kg x 10

B) Floor Press
    87.5kgs x 5 (@9)

Snatch-Grip deadlift was fine but left glute was at me again, same with the RDLs the other day. Felt it on the set with 140 so had to see how I'd fare for heavier sets but knew I'd have to take it handy on the back offs. Was affecting lockout, which felt a bit lopsided.

Left the back offs at a set of 10. Started to notice right quads way more tired and realised I wasn't driving off the floor equally cos of the glute so left it where it was. Bit annoying since hip has been less contrary lately.

Someone took the one free bench just as I finished last rep of deadlift so floor press it was again. Felt way better this week. Tighter form.

Monday 13/7/2020

112.5kg x 4 (@6)
    117.5kg x 4 (@7)
    122.5kg x 4 (@8)
    97.5kg x 12, 12

B) Tempo Bench  (4020)
    77.5kg x 4 (@9)

Back training in the evenings now ma familia returned from holiers down home. Not entirely disappointed at not getting up earlier than normal.

Done a lot of work on my hip the last couple of days because hip flexors have felt a little less sh*t so tried to drive that home. Way more ROM on couch stretch and can contract left glute a bit harder. Ordered a massage gun on Saturday night and arrived today. Mate had said he thought it was good. Worth a try to get in on my hip flexors just to help ease into the stretching out before strengthening exercises.

Limiting factor in AMRAPS is getting pins and needles in my forearms. But everything is starting to move towards that sweet spot. It's a while off but things edging in the right direction on squat.

Tempo bench moved nicer again. Thought about 80 because the 77.5 felt a bit less then RPE 9 bit said I'd just play the long game on it and let it come the next day.

Wednesday 15/7/2020

A) Incline Bench
    62.5kg x 4
    75kg x 4
    80kg x 4 (@9)
    65g x 10, 10

B) Snatch-Grip RDLs
    Sets of 8-10, working up in 10kg jumps
    Up to 135kg

Overcooked the top set of Incline. Supposed to be 8-8.5. Felt a bit empty.

SG RDLs felt better than the last couple of days, which I didn't expect after feeling so flat on Incline bench.

• Advertisement

Friday 15/7/2020

105kg x 8 (@6)
    110kg x 8 (@7)
    115kg x 8 (@8)
    92.5kg x 12, 12

B) Seated DB OHP
    17.5kgs x 2 x 10
    20kgs x 4 x 10
    22.5kgs x 10

Forgot knee sleeves. Normally I'd not be bothered but slight niggle in left knee seemed to make me a bit more tentative going into the hole. I think having sleeves is more a mental benefit for that kinda thing. Still though...was pretty much where I thought I would be on the top sets. Left a couple in the tank on back offs cos that's where I felt I was getting more tentative at the higher reps. Satisfied with that.

OHPs felt pretty tidy.

Monday 20/7/2020

145kg x 3 (@6)
    150kg x 3 (@7)
    157.5kg x 3 (@8)
    125kg x 12, 13

B) Pin Press
    85kg x 4 (@9)

Really enjoyed being back in Flyefit. Woof! Got there maybe 10 mins early and got a rack no bother.

Just went up in 10kg jumps on SG DL...I needed to work on the movement. I don't think I was getting my hips low enough. Worked well. Hip still at me a bit on set @7 but just blasted it out of my head for the top set.

Felt a lot better...everything coming up together, locking my hips better for the drive off the floor. F**k straps also. Cut the wrist off me so ditched one for the second back off set.

Hip is very slowly improving. Millimetres more ROM but slowly getting there so the discomfort passes a lot quicker.

Got to pin press after having to floor press before. Felt a bit new and didn't quite hit the groove but 85x4 @9 will do for now...puts a single at ~100. That'll do, pig.

Wednesday 22/7/2020

117.5kg x 3 (@6)
    122.5kg x 3 (@7)
    125kg x 3 (@8)
    100kg x 10,

B) Tempo Bench  (4020)
    82.5kg x 3 (@9)

As much mobility as I tried to get into the left hip, I just kept drifting over to my right side on squats. Called it a couple of reps into second back off set cos I could feel a bit of pressure on my right knee. A bit too much so said play safe.

Frustrating. Every time I feel like it's moved a step forward, there's a step back soon after. F**k hips anyway.

Tempo bench went better than expected cos moved up a few kgs more than I'd anticipated. Fuelled by frustration even though was a bit rushed cos I'd used so much time trying to work on my hip all through squats.

Friday 24/7/2020

A) Incline Bench
    67.5kg x 3  (@6)
    75kg x 3  (@7)
    80kg x 3  (@8)
    65g x 11, 10

B) Snatch-Grip RDLs
    Sets of 6-8, working up in sets of 8 with 10kg jumps.
    Up to 140kg x 7

Top set of Incline was better than last week anyway. I do suck at Incline though.

Happy enough with the RDLs. Think it's up there with the heaviest set of SG RDLs I've done, Beltless or otherwise. But about a year ago I did 135 x 8,8,12 with a belt so it's not really PR territory but a decent marker, even with the strange sensation in the front of my hip this time.

Hip has been at me this week and it's been busy with work and I walk/move way less when I'm WFH. I'll get out for a decent walk tomorrow and see how the hip feels training tomorrow.

Saturday 25/7/2020

107.5kg x 6 (@6)
    112.5kg x 6 (@7)
    117.5kg x 6 (@8)
    95kg x 12, 12

B) Seated DB OHP
    17.5kgs x 8
    20kgs x 8
    22.5kgs x 8
    25kgs x 8, 7

Felt a lot better squatting today. Had about 18k steps done (I don't necessarily think it was exactly that many but indicative of general activity levels) so felt more mobile and more balanced in the hips at the bottom of the squat.

Spotted I had recorded sets of 8 on last week's session as opposed to 6. Working sets were way better this week. Kept back angle the same to bottom.

One thing I need to drill again is to keep my upper back tight to stop it rounding. An easy fix but just need to drill it consciously and make it unconscious. I think a part of it is just a stupid subconscious thing of leaving the bar onto the pins

So now...have to move more. Back in the office in a couple of weeks so that will help.

Sunday 26/7/2020

147.5kg x 2 (@6)
    155kg x 2 (@7)
    165kg x 2 (@8)
    132.5kg x 12, 14

B) Pin Press
    92.5kg x 3 (@9)

Another relatively active day (~17k steps) and hips felt better especially on SG pulls where the hip flexion is greater than normal DLs.

Left glute not pulling it's weight given my right quad was more fatigued. But I did notice being able to contract it harder while i was warming up.

Pin press felt less awkward this week.

Happy with that.

Thursday 30/7/2020

A) Paused HB Squat
    105kg x 6 (@6)
    112.5kg x 6 (@7)
    117.5kg x 6 (@8)
    100kg x 12, 12

B) 2ct-pause Bench
    75kg x 6 (@9)
    60kg x 10, 9

New block. Could put on the belt for squat. Felt weird at first.

Happy enough with that. Didn't go AMRAP on the back off because I could feel a little impingement on the hip at the bottom because I just go right down on pause squats. Enough volume without over-egging it.

I don't know why I never used the metronome app before for pausing. Keeps it honest. The back offs were mad. It felt light but christ my pecs started to incinerate.

Bench was a bit rushed cos spent so long between squat sets doing hip stretches I left maybe 10 mins for bench so wasn't enough warming up. But it'll do.
    Went to physio last night. Different one to the one I've been going to in recent times but one of the two I would recommend. Just to get a different set f eyes on my hip and see if there was additional work he'd give me. It's mostly stretching work and I can layer in the strengthening work on it that I was doing. Hopefully the combination and more consistency in doing it will work wonders. Will take time though cos muscles around the left hip will find it hard to keep up. And left side of lower back is getting tight as well. But hopefull all the same.

Saturday 1/8/2020

A) Close-Grip Bench
    72.5kg x 6 (@6)
    77.5kg x 6 (@7)
    85kg x 6 (@8.5)
    72.5kg x 12, 11

B) RDLs
    145kg x 12  (@9)
    117.5kg x 18, 16

CG bench moved really well so went for 85kg on top set at 8-8.5 and was right there. Happy with that set for 6 and how it moved and felt.

That top set of RDLs was tough but weight was on the money. Cardio. Possibly up near most reps I've done in that weight range.

Threw in some shrugs, pull ups and band pull aparts after.

Monday 3/8/2020

A) High Bar Pin Squat (comp depth)
    100kg x 8 (@6)
    107.5kg x 8 (@7)
    115kg x 8 (@7.5)
    97.5kg x 12, 12

B) Seated DB OHP
    20kgs x 15 (@9)
    15kgs x 22, 20

Squats felt good. Still a little bit of letting go of some rightness just at the bottom...like I'm letting the bar down on the pins. Silly shíte. But moved well for the most part.

The best part was my hip was a bit achey at times and I was tired but got on with it and felt good in the rack.

OHPs felt decent. Have never paid too much attention to OHP numbers but feels like that's probably a decent marker, the top set.

Noting I had 21k steps done before training and hip feels less mowldy

Monday 20/7/2020

A) Comp Deadlift
    145kg x 5 (@6)
    150kg x 5 (@7)
    157.5kg x 5 (@8)
    132.5 x 13, 13

B) Pin Press (3" off chest)
    87.5kgs x 6 (@9)
    70kg x 10, 10

Back with the physio last night for some testing of the exercises I've been doing, dry needling and retesting. Some slight improvements on certain areas and hip feels less achey today. That said, it can't have made a massive difference. Building up the exercise and doing stuff like pilates will so we talked about movement markers for improvement down the line.

Anyway, deadlift felt good. Very solid technique-wise. Once I reminded myself to get my chest up, it just got better. Moved my feet back so my shins were another 1" from the bar and that felt like it made a marked difference on technique. Happy with that.

Left glute still lagging as expected given the hip flexors are an issue. But doesn't feel like it's the same degree as it used to.

Pin press was supposed to be mid-level but with pin spacings it was going to be too high or 3" off chest so I went with the latter, not least cos it's closer to the range I tend to miss in. Was a but rushed cos I spent plenty of time working my hips between sets of DL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Monday 20/7/2020

A) Comp Deadlift
    145kg x 5 (@6)
    150kg x 5 (@7)
    157.5kg x 5 (@8)
    132.5 x 13, 13

87.5kgs x 6 (@9)
    70kg x 10, 10

Back with the physio last night for some testing of the exercises I've been doing, dry needling and retesting. Some slight improvements on certain areas and hip feels less achey today. That said, it can't have made a massive difference. Building up the exercise and doing stuff like pilates will so we talked about movement markers for improvement down the line.

Anyway, deadlift felt good. Very solid technique-wise. Once I reminded myself to get my chest up, it just got better. Moved my feet back so my shins were another 1" from the bar and that felt like it made a marked difference on technique. Happy with that.

Left glute still lagging as expected given the hip flexors are an issue. But doesn't feel like it's the same degree as it used to.

Pin press was supposed to be mid-level but with pin spacings it was going to be too high or 3" off chest so I went with the latter, not least cos it's closer to the range I tend to miss in. Was a but rushed cos I spent plenty of time working my hips between sets of DL.

What are your general thoughts on the dry needling? Is it worth the cost/pain trade-off? Would be particularly keen to hear where you would rate it in a hierarchy compared to general mobility work, Cryotherapy, sports massages.

Patsy167 wrote: »
    What are your general thoughts on the dry needling? Is it worth the cost/pain trade-off? Would be particularly keen to hear where you would rate it in a hierarchy compared to general mobility work, Cryotherapy, sports massages.

I've had it done a couple of times...my elbow/forearm and this. I didn't experience pain for the most part. A small amount in one area of my forearm but nothing in my hip.

The physio who recommended it said it would just have a deeper impact than the sports massage. So we looked at certain movements, went through the stretches/exercises I've been prescribed and then retested the movements. Then did the dry needling and retested the ones where I felt the most discomfort/impingement.

But in terms of a hierarchy, any soft tissue work is really to give you a window where you feel like you have a better ROM and allows you to get more from the mobility work.

The soft tissue stuff like dry needling, sports massages, foam rolling won't fundamentally change tissue for more than a relatively short period of time. But it allows more movement...allows you to stretch a 'tight' area through a greater range of motion and help on that front.

My hip did feel better yesterday after it but part of that could partly be due to the fact that we did a couple of rounds of the rehab exercises. Time will tell but the physio says the road to recovery will include minimal involvement from the physio....movement markers will be in place to assess progress and a suite of exercises and the inclusion of Pilates are what will take me along that road.

I've had it done a couple of times...my elbow/forearm and this. I didn't experience pain for the most part. A small amount in one area of my forearm but nothing in my hip.

The physio who recommended it said it would just have a deeper impact than the sports massage. So we looked at certain movements, went through the stretches/exercises I've been prescribed and then retested the movements. Then did the dry needling and retested the ones where I felt the most discomfort/impingement.

But in terms of a hierarchy, any soft tissue work is really to give you a window where you feel like you have a better ROM and allows you to get more from the mobility work.

The soft tissue stuff like dry needling, sports massages, foam rolling won't fundamentally change tissue for more than a relatively short period of time. But it allows more movement...allows you to stretch a 'tight' area through a greater range of motion and help on that front.

My hip did feel better yesterday after it but part of that could partly be due to the fact that we did a couple of rounds of the rehab exercises. Time will tell but the physio says the road to recovery will include minimal involvement from the physio....movement markers will be in place to assess progress and a suite of exercises and the inclusion of Pilates are what will take me along that road.

Thanks for the great reply. Very useful insight. I definitely agree that consistent movement and mobility work is the solution rather than a one-time quick fix. It's like weeding a garden I find. The weeds will grow any way so its about keeping them at bay.

I have some money set aside this month for a treat, rather than a holiday so was considering some sort of massage, dry needling and possibly pulling the trigger on the below in the next few days

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HOPOSO-Handheld-Massager-Powerful-Indicator/dp/B086MHGJHK/ref=zg_mw_3360464031_2?_encoding=UTF8&refRID=9QRKT66YPQZAY7PXY3B3&th=1

Thanks for the great reply. Very useful insight. I definitely agree that consistent movement and mobility work is the solution rather than a one-time quick fix. It's like weeding a garden I find. The weeds will grow any way so its about keeping them at bay.

I have some money set aside this month for a treat, rather than a holiday so was considering some sort of massage, dry needling and possibly pulling the trigger on the below in the next few days

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HOPOSO-Handheld-Massager-Powerful-Indicator/dp/B086MHGJHK/ref=zg_mw_3360464031_2?_encoding=UTF8&refRID=9QRKT66YPQZAY7PXY3B3&th=1

I got one almost identical to that. Its fine and I do like using it on my quads down around my knees in particular but it's usually just a precursor to foam rolling and stretching when I'm at home rather than being substitute for anything I was/should be doing

I got one almost identical to that. Its fine and I do like using it on my quads down around my knees in particular but it's usually just a precursor to foam rolling and stretching when I'm at home rather than being substitute for anything I was/should be doing

Ah, that's brilliant to hear that you have one. I've been doing the mobility/stretch parts of Joe DeFranco's limber 11 program fairly consistently but have been skipping on the foam rolling work so I was hoping this will serve as a partial substitute

Ah, that's brilliant to hear that you have one. I've been doing the mobility/stretch parts of Joe DeFranco's limber 11 program fairly consistently but have been skipping on the foam rolling work so I was hoping this will serve as a partial substitute

If you're doing mobility work consistently, then the foam rolling might not be necessary. It's really just a short term thing to help with mobility but it's not necessary. I would certainly prioritise the likes of Limber 11 over time on a foam roller.

Friday 7/8/2020

A) Paused HB Squat
    110kg x 5 (@6)
    117.5kg x 5 (@7)
    122.5kg x 5 (@8)
    105kg x 10, 10

B) 2ct-pause Bench
    80kg x 5 (@9)
    65kg x 11, 10

Moved well enough on top set. Felt better than last week. Leaving a few in the tank on the back off sets just to not overdo it on the hip.

Bench moved well.

Doing a lot of hip stuff between sets so it's slowing down squat part of training and squeezing bench. Back in the office on Monday so will have more scope for catching up on missed work and throwing in just a load of rows.

Hip definitely feeling a little improved after the dry needling. Not limping nearly as much. Still drifting to the right in the hole a bit. Usually get some decent walking in at the weekend so will see how it feels on that.

Sunday 9/8/2020

A) Close-Grip Bench
    75kg x 5 (@6)
    85kg x 5 (@7)
    90kg x 5 (@8-8.5)
    77.5kg x 11,

B) RDLs
    155kg x 10  (@9)
    125kg x 18, 1

CG bench moved really well - top set was @8.5. Happy with that set...let elboiws go too loose on last rep.

RDLs are heavy going but @9 was spot on. Happy with the weight and the form holding and not skimping on ROM.

Hip has been a touch better this week. A long way off better but enough of a sustained improvement - maybe 10% towards the end goal - to make me feel hopeful. Less limping because less heavy  aching and less severe aching on a walk (got in a 6.5k and 8k walk with the little fella in the buggy). It'll be 6 months before I'm back at normal or as close to normal as I can but hopeful at least.

Wednesday 12/8/2020

A) HB Pin Squat (comp depth)
    102.5kg x 8 (@6)
    110kg x 8 (@7)
    117.5kg x 8 (@8)
    100kg x 12, 12

B) Seated DB OHP
    25kgs x 12 (@9)
    20kgs x 19, 15

This was a two-parter. Couldn't train yesterday evening or this evening so had to use lunchtime and don't have scope for the full session so squats yesterday, OHP (and rows) today.

Squats felt good and solid yesterday. Felt like better quality reps than last week. Not losing tightness in the upper back to let the bar down on the pins at the last moment, like I seemed to be the last few weeks. Hip felt decent (relatively speaking).

OHPs felt strong. Made sure I had a good long ROM. Triceps on fire after.

Did 3 sets of high-rep dumbbell rows and some lat pulldowns at the end.

• Advertisement

Thursday 13/8/2020

A) Beltless Comp Deadlift
    150kg x 4 (@6)
    157.5kg x 4 (@7)
    165kg x 4 (@7.5)
    140kg x 12, 11

87.5kgs x 5  (@9)
    75kg x 11, 9

Those deadlifts felt so good. Remembered to breathe at the top. Seems like such a basic thing but felt a much tighter off the floor and found myself lowering the bar with more control, which just made everything more controlled.

Assumed the 165 would be an 8 but upgraded to a 7.5. Everything was just so much smoother. BOOYAKASHA!!! Buzzed after that.

Pin press moved well.

Really happy with that. I know it's (DL) only 75% of my max but it was just how it came together.

Advertisement