Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Aiden - Saturday October 31st

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Windy and bright here in meath now, only 4.5mm of rain since 11pm last night

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭watlantic

Strongest gust so far at my station in SW Mayo recorded just now: 52.3 kts (97 km/h).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Graces7 wrote: »
    Think I need to resign....Blessings and peace and safety to all . Too old for this now and so little computer access. was going to post photos but there we are. Just asked a small kindness.

Its 1.85 km to the knot, so just a little under double...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭OldRio

We have a number of trees that seem to be defying gravity at the moment. I fear the worse if this continues. (Timber for next year)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭4Ad

Sunny and windy with the odd strong gust here in East Clare, doesn't feel stormy...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Think I need to resign....Blessings and peace and safety to all . Too old for this now and so little computer access. was going to post photos but there we are. Just asked a small kindness.

Just take it as 10 knots is 19 kph. Or if you prefer old-school mph, 10 knots is 11.5 mph. A quick way to go from kt -> mph is to take 10% and add it, then take half of that 10% and add that too, e.g. 59 kt: 10%=6, 5%=3, total mph = 59 + 6 + 3 = 68 mph.

To go from kt to kph, multiply by 2 and subtract 5%.
    e.g. 59 x 2 = 118.
    5% = 6
    kph = 118-6=112 kph.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭Roots 2020

Regarding the post by the Old Snowy fella, it's tragic this person didn't adhere to the warnings.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/young-man-dies-after-kite-22935899.amp

Malin Head is 50 gusting 70 knots (93 gust 130 kph), though the anemometer is at 18 m above ground level, not the standard 10.

MALI 311300Z AUTO 22050G70KT 6000NDV -SHRA BKN021/// 10/07 0982 MSL=

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭pauldry

Malin hd 130kph

Met got it spot on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭440Hertz

Very definitely passed in Cork by this morning. It’s a very pleasant, sunny, if blustery, afternoon. Still the odd gust but nothing much.

It sounded fairly bad at about 4-5 this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭mcburns07

We'll chat to you later on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Xenji wrote: »
    Severe gusts now in Castlebar, 31mm of rain since midnight.

Was actually in Castlebar at that time. I parked in the Credit Union car park and the van moved a few feet forward with the gusts.
    Obviously I was in the van with handbrake off at the time but still surprised me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

pauldry wrote: »
    Malin hd 130kph

Met got it spot on

Equal Halloween record so with 1999 at Malin Head too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

and there goes the electric . just outside donegal town. solid fuel range is on though :D

power back on. not so bad

Analysis at 12Z (first chart). The low centre is 1 hPa higher and around 1 degree further north than forecast (second chart).

Not sure what they're doing labeling the low 1023 hPa off to our southwest. A rap on the knuckles for someone in Exeter.

ukmo_nat_fax_2020103112_000.png

ukmo_nat_fax_2020103012_024.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

Tuam co galway
    yWpBUM7.jpg

ASCAT B wind chart for just before midday today. 50-knot winds widespread off Donegal.

531263.png

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

Roots 2020 wrote: »
    Regarding the post by the Old Snowy fella, it's tragic this person didn't adhere to the warnings.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/young-man-dies-after-kite-22935899.amp

Whats your point?

Sure a 40kmph gust could blow over a weak dead tree and crush you to death..... do 40kmph winds require warnings? Just because someone died doesn't change the fact that the wind speeds in most of the country did not warrant the assigned warnings levels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭Roots 2020

Whats your point?

Sure a 40kmph gust could blow over a weak dead tree and crush you to death..... do 40kmph winds require warnings? Just because someone died doesn't change the fact that the wind speeds in most of the country did not warrant the assigned warnings levels.

It should be fairly obvious what my point is. You're adding to the risk of injury, or worse, going kite surfing ignoring national wind warnings.

You're more concerned about Met bashing. Or every winter crying and posting depressing dirges when snow doesn't arrive at exactly your location. Strange behaviour for a pensioner.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Roots 2020 wrote: »
    It should be fairly obvious what my point is. You're adding to the risk of injury, or worse, going kite surfing ignoring national wind warnings.

You're more concerned about Met bashing. Or every winter crying and posting depressing dirges when snow doesn't arrive at exactly your location. Strange behaviour for a pensioner.

Very sad I wonder did he take off in a strong gust that may have carried him further into rocks or to the beach

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Strongest gust at my station in Galway was 101 kph that was this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Status Yellow - Wind warning for Donegal, Galway and Mayo

Met Éireann Weather Warning

Strong south to southeast winds veering southwesterly will reach mean speeds of 50 to 65 km/h with gusts between 90 and 100 km/h. Winds will be strongest along coastal areas.

Valid: 23:00 Saturday 31/10/2020 to 06:00 Sunday 01/11/2020

Issued: 16:00 Saturday 31/10/2020

• Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Had been fairly absent for a while, a bit more active since the storm. Nice to see nobody's grown up and the same sh*t is going on.

Not a particularly bad storm, some nice gusts this morning but calmed a nice bit now.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I came back to share a photo.

The bay at the back here is very sheltered, like a millpond. Just a gentle tidal swell and a soft ocean song .

This weather has changed that... Utterly glorious.. I stood there in the deluge rapt at it

Bidding you goodnight , and hoping all are safe. Off to write up my weblog; islandanchorhold.blogspot.com . in my signature file also.

I think you took me up wrong, Grace. There was no ill-intent behind my post. I was just sharing some mental shortcuts that I've found very useful over the years, especially useful when piloting, where quick arithmetic serves a useful purpose in the cockpit.

I used the conversion to mph for you as I know you probably spent most of your life working in this unit in the UK rather than kph. It's much easier to calculate 15% of something by using 10% of it and half of that again, but if it's not for you then no problem. Others may find it useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭squarecircles

wow, that was a pathetic non event of a storm.

The first of many.

To SOM and others who are always quick to take a poke at Met Éireann, it's not only gusts on which warning colours are based. Ten-minute mean speeds are also involved.

From that link...

Table-1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Glad all are safe and the storm has moved on. Bonus.... the wind might have blown Covid spores elsewhere. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

Meenogahane pier co kerry
    V9NuMzf.jpg

Advertisement