Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbour's Dog Continuously Attacking Ours

Options
2»

Comments

Cupatae wrote: »
    Well its factual to me, as its my experience..if someone asked me do dog wardens call around id say 100% not as ive never had one call.

If someone had an issue with my dog and it had bit someone and the dog warden "dropped" out and took my dog, id consider myself fair gullible if i believed that was by chance is what im saying, the people the op is talking about could give a rats ass about anecdotal evidence or anything of the sort they ll go straight to one conclusion.

This of course is my opinion, make of it what you will.

Again the warden cannot take your dog even if it has bitten someone unless you surrender your dog to them.

They can take a dog found roaming, but again even if it has bitten someone, it is kept for five days to allow the owner come reclaim the dog on production of the dog licence and household bills etc.

In terms of licence checking in my experience it's done regularly, could vary from county to county as not all have wardens employed directly by the council or full time wardens.

But I know one council where the wardens are directly employed by the council full time, are looking at developing an app to confirm if the property has a dog licence(es) associated with it or not, for the wardens to use on their checks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

DubInMeath wrote: »
    Again the warden cannot take your dog even if it has bitten someone unless you surrender your dog to them.

They can take a dog found roaming, but again even if it has bitten someone, it is kept for five days to allow the owner come reclaim the dog on production of the dog licence and household bills etc.

In terms of licence checking in my experience it's done regularly, could vary from county to county as not all have wardens employed directly by the council or full time wardens.

But I know one council where the wardens are directly employed by the council full time, are looking at developing an app to confirm if the property has a dog licence(es) associated with it or not, for the wardens to use on their checks.

Wardens can 100% take ur dog if it's attacking people on the street like the op posted and it will be put down I think it's 5 days , not to mention people can sue for the likes of that .

I can tell you for sure in atlwaet 2 counties in the south in 30 years I've never been asked for a license nor even had a dog warden call to the door

Graces7 wrote: »
    While I understand what your point is, what do you suggest the OP does about an intolerable situation ?

Because it is. And potentially dangerous. If the neighbours act up ? Then the Gardaí can be involved.

As I see it they have 3 options ,

Speak to the neighbors and explain the issue

Avoid the area take a different route, more annoying but less annoying than having conflict with neighbors that are bad

Follow the rules book to the letter and get the correct authorities involved..( also not the best for long term relations with your neighbor) personally I'd avoid going this route unless I absolutely had to, I just find it breeds resentment.

But everyone has there own way of dealing with stuff.

While I understand what your point is, what do you suggest the OP does about an intolerable situation ?

Because it is. And potentially dangerous. If the neighbours act up ? Then the Gardaí can be involved.

Avoid the area take a different route, more annoying but less annoying than having conflict with neighbors that are bad

Follow the rules book to the letter and get the correct authorities involved..( also not the best for long term relations with your neighbor) personally I'd avoid going this route unless I absolutely had to, I just find it breeds resentment.

Wardens can 100% take ur dog if it's attacking people on the street like the op posted and it will be put down I think it's 5 days , not to mention people can sue for the likes of that .

I can tell you for sure in atlwaet 2 counties in the south in 30 years I've never been asked for a license nor even had a dog warden call to the door

On the street yes as I have said twice, but that's because they pick up dogs roaming as strays as part of their daily duties.

They cannot come to your house after the fact and take your dog unless you surrendered your dog to them, especially as they most likely will not have witnessed the dog biting someone and are going off a complaint from a member of the public ( i.e. an alleged offence).

If in the unlikely event that the warden did see the dog biting someone and the dog managed to get themselves back to their house, the warden can then seize the dog but only because it was straying and not under effective control.

Automatically put down after five days, again, no not unless the owner has surrendered the dog. If they have not, the owner can still go to the pound and take it home on production of the dogs licence and proof of address (household bills).

In order for a dog to be put down, where the owner has reclaimed their dog, a destruction order must be obtained from a judge via a case brought to court with complaints willing to state that the dog had bitten them.

Even if the judge agrees to the destruction order, the owner has the right to appeal the decision.

In relation to people suing, if the warden had the dog down without the owner surrendering it or obtaining a destruction order, the owner would have grounds to sue the country council. People can of course sue the owner of a dog that bites them, that's nothing to do with the country council or the dog warden.

As for your experience, I'd be onto your country council to complain/ask why this is the case.

• Advertisement

DubInMeath wrote: »
    On the street yes as I have said twice, but that's because they pick up dogs roaming as strays as part of their daily duties.

They cannot come to your house after the fact and take your dog unless you surrendered your dog to them, especially as they most likely will not have witnessed the dog biting someone and are going off a complaint from a member of the public ( i.e. an alleged offence).

If in the unlikely event that the warden did see the dog biting someone and the dog managed to get themselves back to their house, the warden can then seize the dog but only because it was straying and not under effective control.

Automatically put down after five days, again, no not unless the owner has surrendered the dog. If they have not, the owner can still go to the pound and take it home on production of the dogs licence and proof of address (household bills).

In order for a dog to be put down, where the owner has reclaimed their dog, a destruction order must be obtained from a judge via a case brought to court with complaints willing to state that the dog had bitten them.

Even if the judge agrees to the destruction order, the owner has the right to appeal the decision.

In relation to people suing, if the warden had the dog down without the owner surrendering it or obtaining a destruction order, the owner would have grounds to sue the country council. People can of course sue the owner of a dog that bites them, that's nothing to do with the country council or the dog warden.

As for your experience, I'd be onto your country council to complain/ask why this is the case.

Ok great thats good to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Evasion solves nothing! It really doesn't. I have had this kind of issue and better to get resented than risk damage. A dog that regularly attacks another dog is a danger and the owners need to be made to see that.

Evasion solves nothing! It really doesn't. I have had this kind of issue and better to get resented than risk damage. A dog that regularly attacks another dog is a danger and the owners need to be made to see that.

im just saying id exhaust other avenues, before id go the legal route i just think it leads to a toxic tit for tat with neighbors that can be a headache. Id sooner go up and have a chat with someone and see if they d atleast make an effort to do something, and if they were unreasonable then id go the other route. I ve found in most cases anytime ive had a problem with something and ive said it upfront to the person they have made the effort and appreciate the fact you spoke to them first.

Id def not go the cloak and dagger route and hope nobody figures it out lol you wouldnt want to be sherlock holmes in this case :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Any progress OP? Hope so..

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭kathleen37

How about distracting it (I know it's not your dog but you could even try a bit of training with it, as you're having to live with it) with cocktail sausages?

I too would be horrified if it was attacking my dog, but I'd be lifting my dog to the car so the dog couldn't get to it. If you don't want to call the dog warden (and I feel for the dog in this situation, having owners that obviously don't care for it, or care what it does) then you're going to need to do something. Kindness and food may be the key.

Also, I'd be worried leaving my dog outside all day while I was working

• Advertisement

kathleen37 wrote: »
    How about distracting it (I know it's not your dog but you could even try a bit of training with it, as you're having to live with it) with cocktail sausages?

I too would be horrified if it was attacking my dog, but I'd be lifting my dog to the car so the dog couldn't get to it. If you don't want to call the dog warden (and I feel for the dog in this situation, having owners that obviously don't care for it, or care what it does) then you're going to need to do something. Kindness and food may be the key.

Also, I'd be worried leaving my dog outside all day while I was working

If a dog is really in attack mode your not going to distract it.

A dog whose owner is not that bothered about their dog hasn't raised a dog that will pay attention to a stranger.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

To be honest OPs issue here is the neighbors, not the dog or the dog warden. I've lived in beside rough people before and when they want to, they can and they will make your life hell and the authorities will at very best come round and tell them off every now and again only for them to start telling stories about you. I remember one sunny day having the alcoholic next door tossing stuff into the garden, telling her to get lost (not particularly forcefully!), her son and his mate trying to kick the front door door in, calling the Gardai and ending up in my own living room being told that she was making X and Y complaints about us and we should just avoid them at all costs.

This was one of a number of times the Gardai and ambulance were out to the same house for our benefit and that of other people living there. One day a youngfella came out of the house with blood pouring out of him and her shouting "It was an accident! It was only an accident!"

My girlfriend had cats at the time and one of them got sick randomly and died and she strongly suspected that they were throwing poison over the back wall.

To be honest the best move when you live beside people like this is to move. I'm sorry folks, but the white knight of the dog warden and the Gardai aren't going to save you.

Nijmegen wrote: »
    To be honest OPs issue here is the neighbors, not the dog or the dog warden. I've lived in beside rough people before and when they want to, they can and they will make your life hell and the authorities will at very best come round and tell them off every now and again only for them to start telling stories about you. I remember one sunny day having the alcoholic next door tossing stuff into the garden, telling her to get lost (not particularly forcefully!), her son and his mate trying to kick the front door door in, calling the Gardai and ending up in my own living room being told that she was making X and Y complaints about us and we should just avoid them at all costs.

This was one of a number of times the Gardai and ambulance were out to the same house for our benefit and that of other people living there. One day a youngfella came out of the house with blood pouring out of him and her shouting "It was an accident! It was only an accident!"

My girlfriend had cats at the time and one of them got sick randomly and died and she strongly suspected that they were throwing poison over the back wall.

To be honest the best move when you live beside people like this is to move. I'm sorry folks, but the white knight of the dog warden and the Gardai aren't going to save you.

Couldnt agree more, but that sort of real world talk seems to go down like a lead balloon around here. The follow the letter of the law approach and go A to B and hey presto! white knight warden saves the day and alls well in the world is the logic here it seems.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Couldnt agree more, but that sort of real world talk seems to go down like a lead balloon around here. The follow the letter of the law approach and go A to B and hey presto! white knight warden saves the day and alls well in the world is the logic here it seems.

Cupatae,
    Despite your personal views, there are people who post here that actually deal with situations just like the op's as part of their work. Just because your personal experience doesn't match the reality of the larger picture, you think it's okay to condescend and belittle the opinions of others in this thread, because they don't agree with you?
    Well no, it's not okay for you to behave in such a way. It is disrespectful, and as per the charter, posters may not be disrespectful towards one another in this forum. You can debate with others all day long, but you certainly may not belittle the users of this forum.
    Do not post in this thread again Cupatae, and consider your card marked when posting in this forum again.
    Do not reply to this post on thread.
    Thanks,
    DBB

Advertisement