Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbour's Dog Continuously Attacking Ours

Options
  • 03-03-2020 10:42am
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 3


    Hi All,

    Looking for some advice on the below situation.

    My girlfriend and I are in a rented house currently with our 2 year old Beagle/Jack Russell mix. He is an extremely quiet and playful dog. We have a neighbour a few doors up from us who owns a small dog also and I can only describe it as the worst and most aggressive dog I've ever seen. He chases every car that leave or enters the estate attempting to bite the tyres and sprints towards anyone whenever they leave their house, nipping at ankles and barking.

    Lately whenever we leave the house and are walking to our car with the dog, the neighbours dog will run over and bite our dog, taking tufts of hair out of him. Our dog doesn't react so just looks to get away from the situation. It's not until one of us chases away the neighbours dog that he will stop. Even if the owners are standing at their front door watching all of this happen they just passively call the dogs name but make no attempt to actually control him or stop him from doing it. It has happened on at least 5 or 6 occasions now and twice this week.

    It makes me furious and I've been very tempted to boot the dog into the next parish on multiple occasions. The owners of the dog themselves are quite a rough family. The one thing holding us back from calling the dog warden is the fear that they will do something to our dog while we are out of the house (we leave him in the garden a few days a week while we are at work). I don't think there is any talking to them if they're so ignorant to continuously watch it happening and do nothing about it.

    Would anyone have advice on a way to proceed or have experience with a similar situation? Cheers.


«1

Comments

  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton


    DogOwner1 wrote: »
    Hi All,

    Looking for some advice on the below situation.

    My girlfriend and I are in a rented house currently with our 2 year old Beagle/Jack Russell mix. He is an extremely quiet and playful dog. We have a neighbour a few doors up from us who owns a small dog also and I can only describe it as the worst and most aggressive dog I've ever seen. He chases every car that leave or enters the estate attempting to bite the tyres and sprints towards anyone whenever they leave their house, nipping at ankles and barking.

    Lately whenever we leave the house and are walking to our car with the dog, the neighbours dog will run over and bite our dog, taking tufts of hair out of him. Our dog doesn't react so just looks to get away from the situation. It's not until one of us chases away the neighbours dog that he will stop. Even if the owners are standing at their front door watching all of this happen they just passively call the dogs name but make no attempt to actually control him or stop him from doing it. It has happened on at least 5 or 6 occasions now and twice this week.

    It makes me furious and I've been very tempted to boot the dog into the next parish on multiple occasions. The owners of the dog themselves are quite a rough family with some having been in prison recently for various offenses. The one thing holding us back from calling the dog warden is the fear that they will do something to our dog while we are out of the house (we leave him in the garden a few days a week while we are at work). I don't think there is any talking to them if they're so ignorant to continuously watch it happening and do nothing about it.

    Would anyone have advice on a way to proceed or have experience with a similar situation? Cheers.

    OP how would they know you called the warden?


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae


    DogOwner1 wrote: »
    Hi All,

    Looking for some advice on the below situation.

    My girlfriend and I are in a rented house currently with our 2 year old Beagle/Jack Russell mix. He is an extremely quiet and playful dog. We have a neighbour a few doors up from us who owns a small dog also and I can only describe it as the worst and most aggressive dog I've ever seen. He chases every car that leave or enters the estate attempting to bite the tyres and sprints towards anyone whenever they leave their house, nipping at ankles and barking.

    Lately whenever we leave the house and are walking to our car with the dog, the neighbours dog will run over and bite our dog, taking tufts of hair out of him. Our dog doesn't react so just looks to get away from the situation. It's not until one of us chases away the neighbours dog that he will stop. Even if the owners are standing at their front door watching all of this happen they just passively call the dogs name but make no attempt to actually control him or stop him from doing it. It has happened on at least 5 or 6 occasions now and twice this week.

    It makes me furious and I've been very tempted to boot the dog into the next parish on multiple occasions. The owners of the dog themselves are quite a rough family with some having been in prison recently for various offenses. The one thing holding us back from calling the dog warden is the fear that they will do something to our dog while we are out of the house (we leave him in the garden a few days a week while we are at work). I don't think there is any talking to them if they're so ignorant to continuously watch it happening and do nothing about it.

    Would anyone have advice on a way to proceed or have experience with a similar situation? Cheers.

    It wouldn't be the dog I'd take issue with at all it would be the owner if I was you I'd go in and say it to them to do something about the dog or you will , you can't have dogs just going around attacking people. I feel bad for the dog having such irresponsible owners cause ultimately the dog will be the one paying the price.

    Make the point clear if it keeps happening you LL be calling the dog warden and if your dog needs the vet, they LL be getting the bill, it's nonsense to have be doing that you d think they have Abit of cop on.


  • Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Roadtoad


    Jaws:
    You're going to need a bigger boat.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3 DogOwner1


    OP how would they know you called the warden?

    We're the ones who probably have the most run in's with them and the dog so I'd assume they'll put it together. The dog is much more aggressive towards other dogs than people. He is scared when a person confronts him but will go at other dogs without issue.


  • Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Roadtoad


    Cupatae wrote: »
    ......Make the point clear if it keeps happening you LL be calling the dog warden and if your dog needs the vet, they LL be getting the bill, it's nonsense to have be doing that you d think they have Abit of cop on.

    That does LL mean? I'm imagining you are suggesting that in some way the OPs landlord should be involved. Bizarre attitude if so.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭LeBash


    Bring a ball and a hurl as if you are going out to smack the ball. If the dog comes over aggressively, give him a warning with the hurl high and a smack if needs be.

    If the neighbours are there, ask them to keep it inside so you dont have to do that.


  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Fleetwoodmac


    This sounds horrendous. Has he ever snapped at a child? We have a similar situation with neighbours dogs, i have called the warden and he has spoken to them but every now and then dogs still get out. Luckily our neighbours are just lazy and apathetic as opposed to worrying they may hurt the dogs.
    I think if you are not willing to call warden and the family can't be reasoned with, then just carry your dog to the car. I'd also put a camera on your back garden... relatively cheap and can be monitored via your phone.
    Very upsetting for you and of course your dog.


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae


    Roadtoad wrote: »
    That does LL mean? I'm imagining you are suggesting that in some way the OPs landlord should be involved. Bizarre attitude if so.

    im confused. where you seeing anything about a landlord?

    its meant to be "you'll"


  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Fleetwoodmac


    LeBash wrote: »
    Bring a ball and a hurl as if you are going out to smack the ball. If the dog comes over aggressively, give him a warning with the hurl high and a smack if needs be.

    If the neighbours are there, ask them to keep it inside so you dont have to do that.

    This dogs behaviour sounds like he is used to the odd kick, sadly. If family members have been in prison, I wouldn't take this approach. Some people cant be reasoned with. Put as much preventatives in place, lift your own dog into/out of car, I wouldn't interact. Some people are waiting for confrontation and a reason to attack... the dog prob didn't lick it off the footpath iykwim


  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB


    Call the warden OP. If you fill them in on the situation, they'll often do a swoop on the area, checking for dog licences in all houses with dogs, so that it's a routine inspection, rather than targeting anyone in particular. If the neighbour's dog is out and about, they can receive a fixed penalty notice for that, and a ticking off by the warden.
    Just note, that if you are going to go this route, make sure your own dog's license is up to date.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 DogOwner1


    Thanks for all of the advice. We're definitely looking in to getting a camera for the garden to keep an eye on our dog and will contact the warden once we have a plan.


  • Registered Users Posts: 22,256 ✭✭✭✭Esel


    Cupatae wrote: »
    It wouldn't be the dog I'd take issue with at all it would be the owner if I was you I'd go in and say it to them to do something about the dog or you will , you can't have dogs just going around attacking people. I feel bad for the dog having such irresponsible owners cause ultimately the dog will be the one paying the price.

    Make the point clear if it keeps happening you LL be calling the dog warden and if your dog needs the vet, they LL be getting the bill, it's nonsense to have be doing that you d think they have Abit of cop on.
    Did you miss this part of the OP?

    "The owners of the dog themselves are quite a rough family with some having been in prison recently for various offenses. The one thing holding us back from calling the dog warden is the fear that they will do something to our dog while we are out of the house (we leave him in the garden a few days a week while we are at work). I don't think there is any talking to them if they're so ignorant to continuously watch it happening and do nothing about it."

    Neighbours like that would have no problem making the OP's life hell, nevermind what they might do to their dog.

    OP Dog Warden is good advice. Be sure to inform them about your concerns re the neighbours' possible reaction.

    Not your ornery onager



  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae


    Esel wrote: »
    Did you miss this part of the OP?

    "The owners of the dog themselves are quite a rough family with some having been in prison recently for various offenses. The one thing holding us back from calling the dog warden is the fear that they will do something to our dog while we are out of the house (we leave him in the garden a few days a week while we are at work). I don't think there is any talking to them if they're so ignorant to continuously watch it happening and do nothing about it."

    Neighbours like that would have no problem making the OP's life hell, nevermind what they might do to their dog.

    OP Dog Warden is good advice. Be sure to inform them about your concerns re the neighbours' possible reaction.

    More than likely a death sentence for there dog then, wouldnt take a genius to figure out who called the dog warden,but fair point some people may be more timid.. personally id confront the person about it anyway but to each there own.


  • Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123


    Cupatae wrote: »
    More than likely a death sentence for there dog then

    Why would it be a death sentence?! More like a slapped wrist and fine if they don’t have a license


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought


    tk123 wrote: »
    Why would it be a death sentence?! More like a slapped wrist and fine if they don’t have a license

    you clearly have never dealt with vermin neighbours. OP I’d definately +1 for the camera but urge caution on the warden - you will never rest easy if your dog is left alone and you have done something to your neighbours dog. You will be signing a death warrent for your pet. Dog wardent don’t just drop out - and to make a complaint they will be entitled to a freedom of information on the file which will expose you and your pet. Maybe a word with the gaurds - they could find a way to be driving past and see it - and could then address no chip/ not under control / hazard to drivers which might be a better way to tackle it.


  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB


    Dog wardent don’t just drop out

    Yes they do, and they will, particularly if they're filled in on the situation.
    and to make a complaint they will be entitled to a freedom of information on the file

    This is absolutely, 100% untrue. Law enforcement simply could not work if this was the case, and the identity of complainants is simply not legally available to anybody filing a FoI request.


  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7


    OP; please do not leave your dog in the garden when you are out with these folk and dog nearby.


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae


    tk123 wrote: »
    Why would it be a death sentence?! More like a slapped wrist and fine if they don’t have a license

    Did you misread what i wrote ? what happens to dogs that bite or show aggression ? factor in the owners clearly dont give a f, the dog will likely be left to the pound.


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae


    DBB wrote: »
    Yes they do, and they will, particularly if they're filled in on the situation.



    This is absolutely, 100% untrue. Law enforcement simply could not work if this was the case, and the identity of complainants is simply not legally available to anybody filing a FoI request.

    dog wardens dont "just drop out" unless you're very gullible, i think what he/she was hinting at is it will be clear someone has called the dog warden. And it will be painfully obvious who called em, and if the neighbors are as bad as being portrayed in this tread then they wont exactly be looking for reasonable proof


  • Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123


    Cupatae wrote: »
    dog wardens dont "just drop out" unless you're very gullible, i think what he/she was hinting at is it will be clear someone has called the dog warden. And it will be painfully obvious who called em, and if the neighbors are as bad as being portrayed in this tread then they wont exactly be looking for reasonable proof

    I think you’re scaremongering a bit and maybe a bit gullible yourself believing every urban legend about wardens and pounds?

    The warden has called to every house in my area on more than one occasion and also patrols the park from time to time. Whether they had a complaint about somebody I don’t know, everyone was asked to show their licences and job done. As for the pound - look it’s not the OPs problem if that happens - which it won’t - they’ll be given a chance to comply with the law. I’d be delighted if my neighbours barking dog was taken by the warden and left in the pound for a rescue to take and re-home to somebody who might give a crap about it.


  • Advertisement
  • Posts: 5,917 ✭✭✭ [Deleted User]


    Cupatae wrote: »
    Did you misread what i wrote ? what happens to dogs that bite or show aggression ? factor in the owners clearly dont give a f, the dog will likely be left to the pound.

    Going to the pound is not an automatic pts situation.

    If the dog has bitten someone then yes it's possible that they would be pts but only if surrendered by the owner.

    Dog wardens cannot pts a dog unless it's surrendered or found straying and not reclaimed. Again only having bitten someone while straying or showing aggression to a level that is not based on fear while doing the five days as per rhe topic of the thread.

    When not surrendered, they have to go to court and argue for a destruction order with evidence of the need and complaints who are on record stating that the dog has bitten them. The judge makes this decision and only then, and the owner has the right to appeal.

    OP a dog warden will not tell the owner who made the complaint, they aren't legally required to do so.


  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB


    Cupatae wrote: »
    dog wardens dont "just drop out" unless you're very gullible, i think what he/she was hinting at is it will be clear someone has called the dog warden. And it will be painfully obvious who called em, and if the neighbors are as bad as being portrayed in this tread then they wont exactly be looking for reasonable proof

    Hang on... If you want to make a point that's contrary to mine or anyone else's, no need to be so bombastic nor to throw insinuations in about other posters' characters.
    I'm not gullible, no. I work in the industry and through that, have close links with wardens in a number of counties. Yes, they do indeed "just drop out" and check up on all dog owners in the area, both routinely, but also to mask the fact that they've had a complaint about a particular person. I've been checked myself in exactly this situation too.


  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭10fathoms


    <snip>

    Mod note: Nope.


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae


    tk123 wrote: »
    I think you’re scaremongering a bit and maybe a bit gullible yourself believing every urban legend about wardens and pounds?

    The warden has called to every house in my area on more than one occasion and also patrols the park from time to time. Whether they had a complaint about somebody I don’t know, everyone was asked to show their licences and job done. As for the pound - look it’s not the OPs problem if that happens - which it won’t - they’ll be given a chance to comply with the law. I’d be delighted if my neighbours barking dog was taken by the warden and left in the pound for a rescue to take and re-home to somebody who might give a crap about it.

    "The warden has called to every house in my area on more than one occasion and also patrols the park from time to time."

    I have never had a dog warden ever call, and i live in a fairly big town, most people i know have never talked to a dog warden let alone have em call round asking for a license, interesting that your dog warden calls to everyone, quite some ground to cover...

    Only one person i know had the dog warden call to them and thats cause there dog attacked another smaller dog after he got out of there yard and was put down the next day. You may tell them its only an urban legend..

    im going by what ive seen happen other peoples dogs, dog biting people = dog put down. end of.

    What is the op calling the dog warden for? the dog biting.


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae


    DBB wrote: »
    Hang on... If you want to make a point that's contrary to mine or anyone else's, no need to be so bombastic nor to throw insinuations in about other posters' characters.
    I'm not gullible, no. I work in the industry and through that, have close links with wardens in a number of counties. Yes, they do indeed "just drop out" and check up on all dog owners in the area, both routinely, but also to mask the fact that they've had a complaint about a particular person. I've been checked myself in exactly this situation too.

    Sorry i disagree i have had dogs the last 30 years and never once even had a conversation with a dog warden, let alone seen em go door to door, id be interested to see where they get the time for this..

    But lets just say, having experience dealing with less than pleasant neighbors i know for a fact it wont take much to figure out how it came about happening people arent stupid,

    Ive a fair idea of what work you do in the industry by your posting style alone so we'll just agree to disagree i dont want to get dragged into a pitched battle, and i wasnt trying to be insulting by saying gullible.


  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB


    Cupatae wrote: »
    I have never had a dog warden ever call, and i live in a fairly big town, most people i know have never talked to a dog warden let alone have em call round asking for a license, interesting that your dog warden calls to everyone, quite some ground to cover...

    I've had the warden do several routine calls in the large village I lived in.
    I've had the warden do routine calls when I lived in Dublin.
    The warden has also called to the rural area I'm in now.
    So. Where does your anecdotal evidence leave my anecdotal evidence?


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae


    DBB wrote: »
    I've had the warden do several routine calls in the large village I lived in.
    I've had the warden do routine calls when I lived in Dublin.
    The warden has also called to the rural area I'm in now.
    So. Where does your anecdotal evidence leave my anecdotal evidence?

    I can only go on my own experience and the people i know, ive no reason to lie.. but outside of that, it'd take quite abit of man power, people can draw there own conclusions i guess, i dont really care either way tbh


  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB


    Cupatae wrote: »
    I can only go on my own experience and the people i know, ive no reason to lie.. but outside of that, it'd take quite abit of man power, people can draw there own conclusions i guess, i dont really care either way tbh

    I'm not suggesting you're lying. Not at all.
    What I am saying is that your experience is the opposite of mine. Yet you took on to call me gullible, based on your experience alone, without considering that perhaps your experience does not reflect the situation across the country.
    It's a major part of the role of the dog wardens to check licences. It's very much in the interests of the local authorities that the wardens invest time in enforcing the licensing laws because it's a major chunk of the income required to keep the pound facilities up and running.
    No doubt, some county wardens are more active than others, but it is not correct to assume that your experience is any more factual than anyone else's. That's the problem with anecdotal evidence.


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae


    DBB wrote: »
    I'm not suggesting you're lying. Not at all.
    What I am saying is that your experience is the opposite of mine. Yet you took on to call me gullible, based on your experience alone, without considering that perhaps your experience does not reflect the situation across the country.
    It's a major part of the role of the dog wardens to check licences. It's very much in the interests of the local authorities that the wardens invest time in enforcing the licensing laws because it's a major chunk of the income required to keep the pound facilities up and running.
    No doubt, some county wardens are more active than others, but it is not correct to assume that your experience is any more factual than anyone else's. That's the problem with anecdotal evidence.

    Well its factual to me, as its my experience..if someone asked me do dog wardens call around id say 100% not as ive never had one call.

    If someone had an issue with my dog and it had bit someone and the dog warden "dropped" out and took my dog, id consider myself fair gullible if i believed that was by chance is what im saying, the people the op is talking about could give a rats ass about anecdotal evidence or anything of the sort they ll go straight to one conclusion.

    This of course is my opinion, make of it what you will.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7


    Cupatae wrote: »
    Well its factual to me, as its my experience..if someone asked me do dog wardens call around id say 100% not as ive never had one call.

    If someone had an issue with my dog and it had bit someone and the dog warden "dropped" out and took my dog, id consider myself fair gullible if i believed that was by chance is what im saying, the people the op is talking about could give a rats ass about anecdotal evidence or anything of the sort they ll go straight to one conclusion.

    This of course is my opinion, make of it what you will.

    While I understand what your point is, what do you suggest the OP does about an intolerable situation ?

    Because it is. And potentially dangerous. If the neighbours act up ? Then the Gardaí can be involved.


Advertisement