Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peaceful protestors arrested

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

deisemum wrote: »
    considering how difficult it is to get someone in Ballybricken to answer the phone when they've phoning up to report something as was pointed out by resident after resident at my estate's recent AGM.

If the protesters were actually peacefully protesting then the gardai would be able to do the job that they are paid to do. In my opinion.

If one of the protesters house was been broken into who would they call and expect them to do their job?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    Just watched the video of the arrests and a part from the odd swear word in was extremely peaceful , The protesters when very peaceful and there was no resistant or anything like that.
    Also so people are not jumping to conclusions we are talking about middle age to mature protesters here and not hoodie wearing ,dutch gold drinking types ,
    The reason it seemed they were arrested was they were behind the barriers and refused to move ,seem like a planned action to me ,something that they thought about before hand and decided to carry out .

ok Here I jump to a conclusion /offer my opinion
    I can't help but think that yesterday's action were a direct response to the arson attacks the night before and someone in the super's office was a bit embarrassed or something because there was a hell of a lot of Gardaí there.

Maybe your residence "member of the force" poster could offer his view.

It was a "light" arrest if that makes sense but the guy from the clip I watched (shaved head, blue bad, greeny/grey jacket) was no angel and was getting involved with the Gardai.

He was being removed, I think at the start of the clip, very lightly from the entrance to a shopping complex and then left to loiter or do what he wanted but he seemed to keep getting involved with the Gardai, certainly giving them plenty of verbals. The Gardai seemed to move away from the entrance to the shopping centre and your man follows them. It looks like he tries to get in the middle of the group and one Garda moves him to the outside which he seems to think is an assault. It plainly wasn't. He then seems to want to hang around giving the Gardai more verbals, we can't hear what the Garda is saying to him, and then starts "shouting get your F***ing hand off me", things get physical, and they carry him off to the van.

He was spouting aload of the same old BS about Dennis O'Brien, Siteserv, peaceful protest, Garda should be ashamed of themselves etc and seemed to think he can do whatever he wants when the leader of the country is in town.

It was on the light side of offences but he was in the wrong I think.

There's another clip which is a housing estate but I don't know what happens there as it's not clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

CatFromHue wrote: »
    It was a "light" arrest if that makes sense but the guy from the clip I watched (shaved head, blue bad, greeny/grey jacket) was no angel and was getting involved with the Gardai.

He was being removed, I think at the start of the clip, very lightly from the entrance to a shopping complex and then left to loiter or do what he wanted but he seemed to keep getting involved with the Gardai, certainly giving them plenty of verbals. The Gardai seemed to move away from the entrance to the shopping centre and your man follows them. It looks like he tries to get in the middle of the group and one Garda moves him to the outside which he seems to think is an assault. It plainly wasn't. He then seems to want to hang around giving the Gardai more verbals, we can't hear what the Garda is saying to him, and then starts "shouting get your F***ing hand off me", things get physical, and they carry him off to the van.

He was spouting aload of the same old BS about Dennis O'Brien, Siteserv, peaceful protest, Garda should be ashamed of themselves etc and seemed to think he can do whatever he wants when the leader of the country is in town.

It was on the light side of offences but he was in the wrong I think.

There's another clip which is a housing estate but I don't know what happens there as it's not clear.

Think we are talking about 2 different events ,Didn't see any video outside or near a shopping centre,The video and 6/7 arrests I seen and commented on was in an estate yesterday .

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Yeah it looks like it was the second clip I saw you were talking about.

I don't think it has anything, or little anyway, to do with the arson. I'd say the people in the estate said they wouldn't move and were told they'd be arrested if they didn't and still didn't so they were arrested. I'm guessing here anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

If the protesters were actually peacefully protesting then the gardai would be able to do the job that they are paid to do. In my opinion.

If one of the protesters house was been broken into who would they call and expect them to do their job?

Playing devils advocate here...............If someone came into your 'place of work' and started standing on your desk, pulled say a network cable out of your lap/desktop, shouted and chanted at you, pushed folders around, over turned a couple of filing cabinets, would the average person put up with it and continue working, I don't think so, they wold call security/gardai etc..........the IW contractor's place of work happens to be a portion of a public place, they excavate holes, put barriers around them to prevent a member of the public from accidently walking into them etc.............the 'peaceful protesters' arrive to the place of work stand on top of the areas they want to excavate, move safety barriers, park cars in the way and on top of the section of the footpaths they wish to excavate etc.........is the IW contractor not entitled to carry out their work in a safe and dignified manner just like someone who works in an office/shop/factory etc..........?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭S.O

Road-Hog wrote: »
    Playing devils advocate here...............If someone came into your 'place of work' and started standing on your desk, pulled say a network cable out of your lap/desktop, shouted and chanted at you, pushed folders around, over turned a couple of filing cabinets, would the average person put up with it and continue working, I don't think so, they wold call security/gardai etc..........the IW contractor's place of work happens to be a portion of a public place, they excavate holes, put barriers around them to prevent a member of the public from accidently walking into them etc.............the 'peaceful protesters' arrive to the place of work stand on top of the areas they want to excavate, move safety barriers, park cars in the way and on top of the section of the footpaths they wish to excavate etc.........is the IW contractor not entitled to carry out their work in a safe and dignified manner just like someone who works in an office/shop/factory etc..........?

There is no comparison with office work vs water meter installation, working in a shop or a factory you re not working at the boundary of anyones private property / private dwelling , water meter installation work you are, there will be some houseowners who might,t care either way if a water meter is installed to the boundary of their dwelling and that's their own business, but when someone tells the contracters that they don,t want a water meter at their house they should just leave that house alone and move on to the next house without causing a scene, they still get paid regardless if some water meters don,t get installed, when they took the job of installing water meters for domestic water charges they know full well some people out there are gonna object to having a water meter installed at their premises it comes with the job, just like if you take on a job of being a bailiff trying to evict people you know full well there is gonna be opposition from people out there.

S.O wrote: »
    There is no comparison with office work vs water meter installation, working in a shop or a factory you re not working at the boundary of anyones private property / private dwelling , water meter installation work you are, there will be some houseowners who might,t care either way if a water meter is installed to the boundary of their dwelling and that's their own business, but when someone tells the contracters that they don,t want a water meter at their house they should just leave that house alone and move on to the next house without causing a scene, they still get paid regardless if some water meters don,t get installed, when they took the job of installing water meters for domestic water charges they know full well some people out there are gonna object to having a water meter installed at their premises it comes with the job, just like if you take on a job of being a bailiff trying to evict people you know full well there is gonna be opposition from people out there.

It seams like the protesters are not from the estate that they are protesting in. look at the facebook pages and there are requests for people to get to a certain address to protest.

I understand that some people don't want meters but let them do there work in house that do want them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

It seams like the protesters are not from the estate that they are protesting in. look at the facebook pages and there are requests for people to get to a certain address to protest.

I understand that some people don't want meters but let them do there work in house that do want them.

I don't think anyone WANTS a meter but yes, they should be allowed do their work. They are ordinary workers, not the ones making the decisions

Where are all ye seeing the videos of the arrests, are they on youtube?

Where are all ye seeing the videos of the arrests, are they on youtube?

Dublin says No on facebook is where I went.

If they don't install them now, when will they and who will pay?

I think for the good of the country water charges are a good idea, or where when they were pay for what you use. One of the reasons we got into so much trouble and had to be bailed out was our domestic (non bank related) finances where in such a mess. I mean take how we pay for water now, if you were starting up a country you'd never have it payed for through VAT and Motor Tax!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭S.O

Maybe some people PMed some of those facebook pages to say Im in work on certain day/bringing kids to school etc, can someone come to my estate and hold off Irish water from installing a water meter at certain address.

Maybe some people PMed some of those facebook pages to say Im in work on certain day/bringing kids to school etc, can someone come to my estate and hold off Irish water from installing a water meter at certain address.
    Yeah right

There is no comparison with office work vs water meter installation, working in a shop or a factory you re not working at the boundary of anyones private property / private dwelling.

They are working on public property, not private property.

Lol, you couldn't make that up,,,, oh wait, you did!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

Is there anything to stop people parking their cars on the footpath outside their house, blocking the installation? Would the Gardai have the cars removed, what if an old car "broke down" on my drive what would happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,920 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

i ll park me car in whatever way is required in order to get the meter in

seavill wrote: »
    Is there anything to stop people parking their cars on the footpath outside their house, blocking the installation? Would the Gardai have the cars removed, what if an old car "broke down" on my drive what would happen?
    Parking on the footpath is illegal. The meter installers have nothing to do with your driveway, so you can have what you want on your driveway.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 spikadelica

If you were mugged or had a problem with anti social behaviour how long might you wait for the state provided security forces to assist you ? On the otherhand they seem to accompany sierra thugs when they come into the areas they are next to defile and degrade I wonder why ?

If you were mugged or had a problem with anti social behaviour how long might you wait for the state provided security forces to assist you ? On the otherhand they seem to accompany sierra thugs when they come into the areas they are next to defile and degrade I wonder why ?

That's just such rubbish.

If you were to be mugged and the muggers let it be known on social media exactly what they were planning to you and the Gardai of course the Gardai would be there.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    That's just such rubbish.

If you were to be mugged and the muggers let it be known on social media exactly what they were planning to you and the Gardai of course the Gardai would be there.

Yes this utter bull crap from those sympathetic to the peaceful protesters is pathetic and getting tiring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭archieknox

These meters were installed in Dungarvan last week and curiosity got the better of me when i saw the half hearted protest! I asked two of the chaps what was their beef with the installation/installers/water meters in general,and was told that"We're paying for water all our lives and we're f**ked if we're giving anymore to this government" Then the second guy says"Hope they don't come back on Monday cos i must sign on!"
    So driving away i afforded myself a hypocritical smile as i thought to myself not one of these leeches ever worked a day in their lives,oh Michael Noonan how right you were!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

How do you peacefully protest?

So you agree that they are not protesting at their own propertys.

This is taken from one of their Facebook sites. it wasn't PMd. "‪#‎CallOut‬ SHARE AND RETWEET‪#‎IrishWater‬ resistance urgently needed in Ballyogan , the gallops cops on site causing trouble"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

So you agree that they are not protesting at their own propertys.

This is taken from one of their Facebook sites. it wasn't PMd. "‪#‎CallOut‬ SHARE AND RETWEET‪#‎IrishWater‬ resistance urgently needed in Ballyogan , the gallops cops on site causing trouble"

Would that be a bit like pro posters going to different county/city threads just to continue to voice their opinions and push their views on the locals. :pac::D:D

The protests and protesters that I ave seen on face book /you tube clips are akin to what Gandhi would have been proud of...!

Slightly different point, a mate of mine who lives in bishopsfield is fairly pissed off with the adverse publicity that the estate has gotten this past couple of weeks....reckons the image of the place has been seriously damaged by a couple of residents who were sympathetic to the Gandhi style protests...........does anyone think he has a point??

Road-Hog wrote: »
    The protests and protesters that I ave seen on face book /you tube clips are akin to what Gandhi would have been proud of...!

Yep, Ghandi would have been proud of this crowd:http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/watch-shocking-moment-anti-water-meter-4192461

archieknox wrote: »
    T"We're paying for water all our lives and we're f**ked if we're giving anymore to this government" oh Michael Noonan how right you were!

id agree and disagree with these statements. im extremely angry that our government seems to think its ok to keep loading our society with more taxes and give us little or nothing back. this is unsustainable but i do think we should be paying for water but on a consumption basis. id disagree with the michael noonan statement. i do think theres a bigger problem with the long term unemployed which has never been really addressed in this country. not going into here as i ll derail the thread.

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    id agree and disagree with these statements. im extremely angry that our government seems to think its ok to keep loading our society with more taxes and give us little or nothing back. this is unsustainable but i do think we should be paying for water but on a consumption basis. id disagree with the michael noonan statement. i do think theres a bigger problem with the long term unemployed which has never been really addressed in this country. not going into here as i ll derail the thread.

You will have a sustainable supply of potable water. This isn't being funded fully from general taxation any more. It is only right that people pay for what they use.

Regarding Michael Noonans statement, there is a section of people who are unemployable, through NO fault of their won. They lack the social skills necessary to seek and get employment. Then there is a very small amount who are unwilling to work and expect the overburdened taxpayer to support them.

You will have a sustainable supply of potable water. This isn't being funded fully from general taxation any more. It is only right that people pay for what they use.

Regarding Michael Noonans statement, there is a section of people who are unemployable, through NO fault of their won. They lack the social skills necessary to seek and get employment. Then there is a very small amount who are unwilling to work and expect the overburdened taxpayer to support them.

yea id agree there. its great to finally see our water issues being addressed but its been very badly approached. our government has rubbed up its people the wrong way in regards this issue and i can fully understand where theyre coming from. we have to see major improvements in our public services for the new taxes we are paying but i believe thats simply is not happening.

not gonna get dragged into the noonan statement as it really will derail the thread, and ive done that enough around here. feel free to start a new thread though and i ll join you in that debate

• Advertisement

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    yea id agree there. its great to finally see our water issues being addressed but its been very badly approached. our government has rubbed up its people the wrong way in regards this issue and i can fully understand where theyre coming from. we have to see major improvements in our public services for the new taxes we are paying but i believe thats simply is not happening.

not gonna get dragged into the noonan statement as it really will derail the thread, and ive done that enough around here. feel free to start a new thread though and i ll join you in that debate

I have said before and I will repeat. Near where I live a whole village is having it's water infrastructure replaced. Also, miles of pipes been replaced in my own area. Boil water notices have been lifted in Co Roscommon, so work IS taking place all around the country.

Advertisement