Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Blacks v Irish property developers

Options

Comments

Imagine how miserable you have to be to want your own team to be beaten. Ffs

They’re no team of mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

The Haka is important to Maori culture, it wouldn't have killed them to keep their mouths shut for a few minutes while it was going on.

Big deal if it's important to the Maori, not everyone feels obliged to sit quietly in awe

New Zealanders are the most humourless bunch on earth when it comes to their rugby team, sod them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

They're usually not Maori and it's a gimmick.

It wasn't always treated with such reverence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Motivator

Fcuk them. It was a load of white lads dancing. If the Irish team started doing river dance would you expect respect or laughter?

Well we have grown men and women rocking side to side, arm in arm whilst crying belting out a song written by Phil ****ing Coulter. We don’t exactly need players doing the River Dance for people to laugh at Ireland after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Motivator wrote: »
    Well we have grown men and women rocking side to side, arm in arm whilst crying belting out a song written by Phil ****ing Coulter. We don’t exactly need players doing the River Dance for people to laugh at Ireland after that.

Most Irish people know "Ireland's call" is utter ****e, the kiwis are utterly precious about the haka

The thing receives far too much respect

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

They're usually not Maori and it's a gimmick.

It wasn't always treated with such reverence.

Funnily enough thats how Ireland played yesterday . Why don’t Ireland do and Irish Reel with a bit of Scottish dancing for the North thrown in . They could finish with a Bucks Fizz tearing off of the Kilts / Skirts at the end .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

The Haka is important to Maori culture, it wouldn't have killed them to keep their mouths shut for a few minutes while it was going on.

Sorry now, but you're talking out your hoop.

If you're visiting a Maori tribal meeting place in New Zealand, you'd solemnly respect the Haka.

But on the Rugby field immediately prior to kick-off, it's used as a motivational and intimidatory tactic by New Zealand. It is not a national anthem. There's absolutely no reason opposing fans of any nation shouldn't show support for their team and attempt to drown out the Haka in the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

blinding wrote: »
    Funnily enough thats how Ireland played yesterday . Why don’t Ireland do and Irish Reel with a bit of Scottish dancing for the North thrown in . They could finish with a Bucks Fizz tearing off of the Kilts / Skirts at the end .

Coordinated collar pop at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

People who give out about the Haka without realising that all Pacific nations perform a tribal ritual before each match will be the first against the wall when the revolution comes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

I don’t really know what the story is with the Haka. Rugby fans act as if it’s this really significant pre-match thing. As a kid, it was awesome, seeing this massive huge exotic looking guys like tana umanga, jerry Collins(r.i.p) performing it was awe inspiring and given the way NZ were perceived and the reverence given to it, was spine chilling. But as an adult, the only reason the Haka is intimidating is because New Zealand are good, I’m sure for the opposition they are either ambivalent to it or it psyches them up. The way the players of the other team stand there, I don’t know, just seems like theatre to me. Why would a team stand in front of a team performing a war ritual and just put on stern stoic faces unless it was actually motivating them?
    It’s clear that it’s an Adidas marketing ploy, a good one but like the Undertaker’s entrance in WWE, some things become boring over time. I’m sure in person it’s a spectacle if you’ve never seen it before but just don’t get it. It’s cool part of rugby but make no mistake about it, would look as comical as it did back in the 70’s if it wasn’t for fact of New Zealand’s pedigree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

It's been a great decade for Irish rugby with the Six Nations triumphs and European Cup wins by the provinces. We were spoilt with the success.

A lot of stock was put into the 'autumn international' wins against New Zealand in Chicago and Dublin.

Ultimately, they were friendlies. I doubt the All Blacks went home in total despair. When it came to the crunch of knockout rugby, New Zealand brought their usual "A" game.

No reason why Ireland can't rise again. There's a lot of talent in the squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

P_1 wrote: »
    People who give out about the Haka without realising that all Pacific nations perform a tribal ritual before each match will be the first against the wall when the revolution comes
    They can get in the queue, Turbridy Varadkar Harris etc will be dealt with first. Wallace Murphy will have to do their time breaking rocks before they are put up against the wall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

whiskeyman wrote: »
    We're all out!

Could have done with the Emernator yesterday.
    Woke Hogan wrote: »
    I have no interest in rugby but the fans of the Irish team are nauseating. Nary a hint of graciousness in victory and the ultimate sore losers in defeat.

Had to chuckle at point suggesting that other nations are arrogant when it comes to rugby. The Irish fans are up there with the worst on that front. I'm hoping for a Wales v England final.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

chite wrote: »
    Somebody had to lose, why not Ireland. Well done New Zealand.
    What is a joke is having to fly in a lawyer for Aki's hearing, only for him to get suspended anyway. And fly in another rugby player when one of the other players hurt their neck, I thought they would've brought some subs with them to Japan? A pure waste of money spent by IRFU
    you cant have players already out there as why when they cant have any involvement with the squad once the tournament starts so who do they train with etc
    It also stops the wealthier countries having all potential subs out there while others wouldnt be able to do it anywhere near as much.
    boombang wrote: »
    I dislike a lot of the fair weather fandom, south Dublin exclusivity, Guinness BS etc. Despite that, anybody playing at the world cup is a hard working, professional athlete. I admire that effort.
    Sport isnt exclusive to anywhere especially south Dublin and all sports have fair weather fans. Rugby cant be criticised for that
    They don’t stand for the Irish national anthem, they mean sweet F A to me. They got their arses handed to them today by a proper team. The writing was on the wall for a long time with this crowd and they got humiliated from start to finish. Joe Schmuck out the door with his reputation in tatters in this country. There were grown men crying into their moustaches in gastro pubs and wine bars across Ireland today. EMBARRESSING
    who really gives a ****e about the songs played before a game. How long is a long time as writing hasn't at all been on wall for long at all
    Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    It's been a great decade for Irish rugby with the Six Nations triumphs and European Cup wins by the provinces. We were spoilt with the success.

A lot of stock was put into the 'autumn international' wins against New Zealand in Chicago and Dublin.

Ultimately, they were friendlies. I doubt the All Blacks went home in total despair. When it came to the crunch of knockout rugby, New Zealand brought their usual "A" game.

No reason why Ireland can't rise again. There's a lot of talent in the squad.
    just dismissing them as friendlies is nonsense when they're every year and only chance to play likes of New Zealand outside a world cup. Ot is a great pity we've messed up at another world cup and not made a semi but there must be something up as we've never been able to show at a world cup knock out game what we are truly capable of based on 6 nations and other international success as well as based on what provinces do so well

• Registered Users Posts: 66,870 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Speaking of 'arrogance', anyone remember this? :D:D:D Still funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

EMBARRESSING

It certainly is!

Beating them in the test matches showed how we could beat them, with plenty of time for them to address it. It made sure there was no complacency in their approach to this match.

Losing to Japan showed we struggled with that sort of tempo and intensity, and knocked our confidence.

So they fielded a young team bursting with energy and aggression. The skipped Italy game helped that too.

Beating them twice was an accomplishment in itself, but it would have been nice to have done it at the world cup instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,916 ✭✭✭OldRio

TCM wrote: »
    Wonderful to see NZ giving the "team of us " from "rugby country" a lesson in a real game. The practice game wins that oirland were bragging about don't count. This oirish team has never gotten past the the last 8 in a 9 team comical " World Cup competition. Glorious stuff.

How sad you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

The fans let themselves down by booing during the Haka, you would have thought they would have been told when they were going to their private school that it's bad manners to do someting like that.

Thought that was a bit off myself booing the haka. But when the crowd have muppets like this in it it doesnt surprise me. They're just event junkies who are there for the piss up

[IMG][/img]schmidt.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Haka has no place in a competition like a world cup.

If the AB want to do it they can come out and do it before the anthems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

• Registered Users Posts: 15,747 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Yamanoto wrote: »
    Sorry now, but you're talking out your hoop.

If you're visiting a Maori tribal meeting place in New Zealand, you'd solemnly respect the Haka.

But on the Rugby field immediately prior to kick-off, it's used as a motivational and intimidatory tactic by New Zealand. It is not a national anthem. There's absolutely no reason opposing fans of any nation shouldn't show support for their team and attempt to drown out the Haka in the process.

Are big rugger lads intimidated by that?
    If they are... lol.

Are big rugger lads intimidated by that?
    If they are... lol.
    They knocked out an Irish player the last time they beat us. Made so many dangerous tackles the rules were subsequently changed. This was off the back of our beating them in Chicago.

In 2005 two of them picked up Brian O'Driscoll by the legs and planted him head first into the ground. They dislocated his shoulder and could have broken his neck. That was a reaction to him trying to show respect for their tradition by throwing a blade of grass in the air after the haka.

The idea of being intimidated isn't laughable. They are temperamental types who have a history of reacting violently when their pride is wounded in some way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Motivator

They knocked out an Irish player the last time they beat us. Made so many dangerous tackles the rules were subsequently changed. This was off the back of our beating them in Chicago.

In 2005 two of them picked up Brian O'Driscoll by the legs and planted him head first into the ground. They dislocated his shoulder and could have broken his neck. That was a reaction to him trying to show respect for their tradition by throwing a blade of grass in the air after the haka.

The idea of being intimidated isn't laughable. They are temperamental types who have a history of reacting violently when their pride is wounded in some way.

That smarmy clown “Drico” got his reward for trying to be the big fella that time. His display of arrogance landed him literally neck deep in it. New Zealanders are proud people and what he did that night was, to Irish people, like someone taking a shït on the Irish flag. Although that wouldn’t mean anything to the rugby lads seeing as they don’t even stand for our national anthem.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,344 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I thought I was a bit of a rugby hater. I don't care really care about the sport and think it gets way over-hyped here far too easily, but then I come on here and read some of the mental levels of bitterness on display, I just think, fcking hell, some people have baaad chips on their shoulders.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Arghus wrote: »
    I thought I was a bit of a rugby hater. I don't care really care about the sport and think it gets way over-hyped here far too easily, but then I come on here and read some of the mental levels of bitterness on display, I just think, fcking hell, some people have baaad chips on their shoulders.

Visited this thread, got what it was about, and saw the usual heads posting. The one thing that makes miserable men like them even more miserable is that they really hate that others aren’t as depressingly miserable as they are. Drives them nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭doughef

Visited this thread, got what it was about, and saw the usual heads posting. The one thing that makes miserable men like them even more miserable is that they really hate that others aren’t as depressingly miserable as they are. Drives them nuts.

Lol ... what about the miserable women ?
    I’m sure some women are as thrilled to see the bunch of west Brit / south siders sent home ??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Sport isnt exclusive to anywhere especially south Dublin and all sports have fair weather fans. Rugby cant be criticised for that

Rugby has its fair share but the Irish football fan base is worse. Tickets for the Euros next year were snapped up in no time, i.e. the big event but there will be thousands of free tickets for the upcoming crunch qualifier against Denmark and the game won't even be a sell out.
    Muahahaha wrote: »
    Thought that was a bit off myself booing the haka. But when the crowd have muppets like this in it it doesnt surprise me. They're just event junkies who are there for the piss up.

It was crass and disrespectful. Far too many morons like that following Irish sport. Need to take away their passports and keep them at home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,423 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Hope the South Africans win the cup.

Advertisement