Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paternity Leave???

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,075 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

So 4 weeks with full pay for fathers?

Its paid by Social welfare at €230 a week
    Some employers pay the rest to bring it to the employees normal salary
    They are not obliged to do so and not all employers do

Correction its €245 now in 2019

• Registered Users Posts: 8,767 ✭✭✭893bet

So is it 4 weeks paid for government now instead of two weeks? I am struggling to interpret?

My company tops up so it is of interest to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,075 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

893bet wrote: »
    So is it 4 weeks paid for government now instead of two weeks? I am struggling to interpret?

My company tops up so it is of interest to me!

https://www.thejournal.ie/two-weeks-extra-maternity-paternity-leave-4840058-Oct2019/?section=comment#comments

iamwhoiam wrote: »

Again the comments seem to split opinion on if it’s paid paternity or unpaid parental leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Again the comments seem to split opinion on if it’s paid paternity or unpaid parental leave.

It's paid, see my earlier posts.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Mod Note

Can we please not turn this into an older vs younger/men vs women debate. A thread about paternity leave shouldn't turn into a thread of women digging at one another about who has it best. Let's aim to support one another rather than criticise each other, and please stick to the topic at hand. I am aware that the original thread is 2 years old, however I will not close it at the moment as there have been some recent changes to legislation in this area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

Parents leave is kinda better than pat/mat leave as you can spread it out so the hit to the pocket isn't as concentrated. Take-up by dads is expected to be low though but they don't get topped up as often as the mums.

From an employers point of view (and Social Welfare) its going to be an administrative nightmare.

Mother:
    Maternity Leave - currently 26 weeks paid at SW rates
    Maternity Leave - currently 18 weeks optional unpaid
    Parental Leave - currenty 18 weeks unpaid
    Parents Leave - from Nov 1 - 2 weeks paid at SW rates

Father:
    Paternity Leave - currently2 weeks paid at SW rates

All top ups at employer's discretion.

Total mess. I wouldn't like to be working in the SW section that has to sort all that out, or the HR Dept trying to juggle employees, payroll and SW claims.

AulWan wrote: »
    From an employers point of view (and Social Welfare) its going to be an administrative nightmare.

Mother:

Father:

Total mess. I wouldn't like to be working in the SW section that has to sort all that out, or the HR Dept trying to juggle employees, payroll and SW claims.

It's a mess but it's just another scheme as far as dsp are concerned. It's not like this is news to them either, it was flagged well in advance so the systems can be put in place. All those schemes are ran out of the one office too.

I would speculate that eventually there will be X weeks per parent paid with a further Y weeks paid that are transferable and finally Z weeks transferable unpaid.

I can see it for what it is. Its pandering for votes, come the next election.

I worked in social welfare once-upon-a-lifetime ago and it would be far simpler to have one scheme that covers all, instead of all these different ones, from that point of view its incredibly messy.

I said much earlier in the thread, that the Swedish model was a good one.

I can see it for what it is. Its pandering for votes, come the next election.

I worked in social welfare once-upon-a-lifetime ago and it would be far simpler to have one scheme that covers all, instead of all these different ones, from that point of view its incredibly messy.

I said much earlier in the thread, that the Swedish model was a good one.

The process kicked off over a year ago so it's not like it was decided on a whim due to an upcoming election.

A universal payment would be a hell of a lot easier to administrate!

• Advertisement

Mother:

Father:

This 1-2 weeks new parents leave. Is it a one off? Or every year for x number of years of the child’s life?

This 1-2 weeks new parents leave. Is it a one off? Or every year for x number of years of the child’s life?

The new Parents Leave is a one off to be taken within the first twelve months of the child's life.

It could be increased in the future.

The new Parents Leave is a one off to be taken within the first twelve months of the child's life.

It could be increased in the future.

12 months +6 weeks as they do allow late applications. It will increase, afaik that's already decided but I can't remember if it's up to 7 or 9 weeks over the next 5/6 years.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I thought Parental Leave was against the child, not each parent.

It's in respect of a birth or adoption event but it's 2 weeks per parent.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

It's in respect of a birth or adoption event but it's 2 weeks per parent.

No, Parental leave refers to 80 unpaid days, by the child's 8th birthday. But it wasn't 80 days per parent, from my recollection.

No, Parental leave refers to 80 unpaid days, by the child's 8th birthday. But it wasn't 80 days per parent, from my recollection.

Sorry, thought you were asking about parents leave. Either way, both are per parent.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 sleepysue

Parental leave is for both parents and is currently 22 weeks for each parent per child under 12 years. This will be increased to 26 weeks in Sept 2020.

Also if both parents work for the same company 1 parent can use 14 weeks of the other parents leave.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Essentially making it against each child and also per parent.It is 110 days per child at this point and I think it is due to go up again next year by another...20?To be used up until the child is 12 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,821 ✭✭✭budhabob

Was there talk that Paternity leave would increase to 4 weeks from 1st November? I can find it confirmed anywhere, and articles seem to mix up Paternity and parental leave - or I could be completely mixed up myself:
    https://www.thejournal.ie/two-weeks-extra-maternity-paternity-leave-4840058-Oct2019/

• Advertisement

budhabob wrote: »
    Was there talk that Paternity leave would increase to 4 weeks from 1st November? I can find it confirmed anywhere, and articles seem to mix up Paternity and parental leave - or I could be completely mixed up myself:
    https://www.thejournal.ie/two-weeks-extra-maternity-paternity-leave-4840058-Oct2019/

Paternity leave is not increasing. Parents benefit/leave is a new leave on top of existing leaves and is 2 weeks paid per parent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

seamus wrote: »
    Sure. But even a c-section has a recovery period of 4-6 weeks, maximum.

You haven't a clue mate, please stop pretending you know everything...

Its neither Parental or Paternity Leave, its a new type of leave called Parents Leave, and its two weeks, for babies born after 1st November.

Parents Leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,821 ✭✭✭budhabob

Its neither Parental or Paternity Leave, its a new type of leave called Parents Leave, and its two weeks, for babies born after 1st November.

Parents Leave.

ah.....that's why I couldn't find anything. Wouldn't have made more sense to add it to Maternity / Paternity?

Anyway, much appreciated.

ah.....that's why I couldn't find anything. Wouldn't have made more sense to add it to Maternity / Paternity?

Anyway, much appreciated.

It works differently to mat/pat as you can take it in separate blocks of one week. Buy yeah, all the different leaves should be rejigged and simplified.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭JohnnyJohnJohns

Does anyone know how I could go about taking parents leave immediately after paternity leave? Essentially I'm hoping to take a 4 week block but the process for parents leave requires a PPS number for the child and then the DEASP need 6 weeks notice so I'm not sure how to apply.

The Paternity leave application is fine as it's based on due date but Parents Leave seems like it can only be applied for after the birth.

Does anyone know how I could go about taking parents leave immediately after paternity leave? Essentially I'm hoping to take a 4 week block but the process for parents leave requires a PPS number for the child and then the DEASP need 6 weeks notice so I'm not sure how to apply.

The Paternity leave application is fine as it's based on due date but Parents Leave seems like it can only be applied for after the birth.

You have to have the ppsn before you can apply for it. I doubt the wait is 6 weeks for processing at the moment though

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭JohnnyJohnJohns

You have to have the ppsn before you can apply for it. I doubt the wait is 6 weeks for processing at the moment though

So best case scenario, baby is born, birth is likely registered that week and apply for Parents leave? That only leaves a week for processing which doesn't seem likely so is it possible in reality to do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭kmcattack

So best case scenario, baby is born, birth is likely registered that week and apply for Parents leave? That only leaves a week for processing which doesn't seem likely so is it possible in reality to do this?

I would also like to know if it's possible as I am looking to apply in the next few weeks. The ideal scenario would be to take the 4 weeks as one block at the start once the baby is born to provide as much support as possible in the early stages.

• Advertisement
Advertisement