Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paternity Leave???

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

AulWan wrote: »
    If she is, then they better get organised before the child is born. They have the whole pregnancy to get themselves in order financially.

This is so condescending.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

jlm29 wrote: »

Well, you'll always find something to be offended about, if you're looking for it. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Exactly . Like people can suddenly organise higher salary in a matter of 9 months

Well, you'll always find something to be offended about, if you're looking for it. :rolleyes:

I didn’t say I was offended. I just think it shows how sometimes people of an older generation haven’t got a clue about the reality of certain situations, but still need to pass comment on them nonetheless.

I didn’t say I was offended. I just think it shows how sometimes people of an older generation haven’t got a clue about the reality of certain situations, but still need to pass comment on them nonetheless.

I am of an older generation and wouldn’t dream of making such a comment . I fully understand the struggles of parents now

• Advertisement

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I am of an older generation and would dream of making such a comment . I fully understand the struggles of parents now

That’s why I said sometimes. I wouldn’t dream of generalising.

That’s why I said sometimes. I wouldn’t dream of generalising.

No no I know that , I was agreeing with you

And the younger generation have no sense of personal responsibility and expect the taxpayer to pay for everything.

One year paid maternity leaves and maternity benefit paid at minimum wage.. Such notions!

Financial planning is part of being a parent, grow up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

And the younger generation have no sense of personal responsibility and expect the taxpayer to pay for everything.

One year paid maternity leaves and maternity benefit paid at minimum wage.. Such notions!

Financial planning is part of being a parent, grow up.

What is wrong with wanting a society which is more supportive of new parents? I'm not even a parent and I think this is a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

This is ridiculous. There could be gazillion reasons why people are under financal pressure. And plenty of reasons income drop for both parents to two hundred something euro isn't affordable. Making blanket statements about people you know nothing about is judgemental bs.

Why is so objectionable to let couples themselves decide what works best for them. Contrary to impression created here vast majority of men are not trying to rush their wife straight from the birthing suite to their work desk.

• Advertisement

And one more thing about the 'older' generation.

We are the women who fought for the very privileges younger generations are enjoying now.

Far from not understanding anyone's struggle, we're the ones you can thank for the 26 weeks paid maternity leave, 18 weeks unpaid maternity leave, parental leave, Ecce schemes for two years, free GPS etc that women enjoy today.

I raised my kids with 12 weeks maternity leave and that's it.

So remember that, the next time you think someone older then you is clueless. That is condescension in its finest.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

meeeeh wrote: »
    This is ridiculous. There could be gazillion reasons why people are under financal pressure. And plenty of reasons income drop for both parents to two hundred something euro isn't affordable. Making blanket statements about people you know nothing about is judgemental bs.

Why is so objectionable to let couples themselves decide what works best for them. Contrary to impression created here vast majority of men are not trying to rush their wife straight from the birthing suite to their work desk.

Tbh you shouldn't even be having a conversation about having kids if you're going to be on the breadline when they arrive.

Yes we should have more family friendly practices, policies and initiatives but we also have to be cognisant of the responsibilities of being a citizen of society.

Uriel. wrote: »
    Tbh you shouldn't even be having a conversation about having kids if you're going to be on the breadline when they arrive.

Yes we should have more family friendly practices, policies and initiatives but we also have to be cognisant of the responsibilities of being a citizen of society.

It wasn’t about being on the breadline . The conversation was about the possibility that the mother was the higher earner. This fact might make it easier on some families to allow the father take some of the maternity/ paternity leave .

I am of the older generation and absolutely delighted to see the improvements for this generation of parents. My generation got 8 weeks Maternity leave and its wonderful to see young mums now get 24 weeks
    I would love to see it increased to a year and available to either parent after the first 4-5 months .

I am of the older generation and absolutely delighted to see the improvements for this generation of parents. My generation got 8 weeks Maternity leave and its wonderful to see young mums now get 24 weeks
    I would love to see it increased to a year and available to either parent after the first 4-5 months .

This is the optimal, just making a portion of it transferable. Even if it was just the 16 weeks unpaid. Several of my female friends couldn’t take that 16 weeks because they were the higher earned, and they couldn’t take the hit after 26 weeks of having the household income reduced dramatically already.
    I’ve got another friend who spent all her savings on ivf just to get pregnant. They’re not on the breadline. They’re not financially irresponsible, but when she was on mat leave, Money was tight, and saving up any amount of money for her partner to take paternity leave was out of the question. Nobody is looking to have everything funded by the tax payer, but allowing couples to choose what suits their own financial needs would be optimal

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭893bet

It literally says in the article who it applies to. No backdating.

Expectation is that the law will be passed and will apply to children born or adopted from 1st November.

You can view the full bill here.
    https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/bills/bill/2019/75/

See section 5(6) for confirmation of the date from which the entitlement applies.

I have already applied for mine (just last week); due 3rd December.

Will I have to reapply or how will it work?

893bet wrote: »

I'd have to read the Bill in more detail as to how it interacts with the 2016 Act. However I assume you've applied for 2 weeks leave under the existing provisions. And you want to apply for an additional 2 weeks under new provisions. I definitely think you should be putting your employer on notice of that, noting the 6 week notice period. Part of the notice requires you to indicate start date and duration.

There might be specific transitional or other arrangements in the Bill that covers such scenarios but I haven't looked yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Oh goody good. Another one of those who delight in preaching after the horse bolted. What is your solution pointing fingers and preaching or are you in favour of forced abortions?

It's completely pointless exercise that has f... all to do with solutions and everything to do with pointing the blame. And after you tell everyone what they did wrong you are no closer to any solution but hey you feel better.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I'm all for anything that expands choice. I would have loved the option to share maternity leave, so would my husband but it wasn't an option. It's great that it is now.

That is EXACTLY what I suggested - that a minimum time should be reserved for the mother to recover after the birth - and I got lambasted for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

893bet wrote: »

It's not possible to apply for the new parents leave yet. The article is misleading, it talks about maternity and paternity leave but that's wrong, the leave is parents leave and is independent of mat/pat leave. It will be initially 2 weeks leave that can be taken in blocks of one week, with a plan to raise it to 9 week after a few years. It's 240 a week I think, with inceases for dependents.

It can't be backdated so it is only for kids born after November 1st and you need to claim within a year + 6 weeks.

meeeeh wrote: »
    Oh goody good. Another one of those who delight in preaching after the horse bolted. What is your solution pointing fingers and preaching or are you in favour of forced abortions?

It's completely pointless exercise that has f... all to do with solutions and everything to do with pointing the blame. And after you tell everyone what they did wrong you are no closer to any solution but hey you feel better.

Forced abortion? Blame? What are you even talking about?

eviltwin wrote: »
    I'm all for anything that expands choice. I would have loved the option to share maternity leave, so would my husband but it wasn't an option. It's great that it is now.

Sorry to disappoint, but maternity leave still isn't transferrable.

Mothers get 26 weeks maternity leave (paid, if they have enough contributions and meet other criteria) + the option to take a further 18 weeks unpaid.

Two weeks must be taken before the birth and a minimum of four weeks afterward.

After four weeks (for those who are concerned about mothers being the main earner) the mother can return to work and surrender the rest of her maternity leave if she wishes.

Fathers get 2 weeks paternity leave (also subject to contributions and other criteria). This is to be increased to four weeks, from 1st November.

Currently, neither leave is transferrable to the other parent.

Sorry to disappoint, but maternity leave still isn't transferrable.

Mothers get 26 weeks maternity leave (paid, if they have enough contributions and meet other criteria) + the option to take a further 18 weeks unpaid.

Two weeks must be taken before the birth and a minimum of four weeks afterward.

After four weeks (for those who are concerned about mothers being the main earner) the mother can return to work and surrender the rest of her maternity leave if she wishes.

Fathers get 2 weeks paternity leave (also subject to contributions and other criteria). This is to be increased to four weeks, from 1st November.

Currently, neither leave is transferrable to the other parent.

Paternity leave is not being increased, the article is referring to parents leave, which is new and not connected to maternity or paternity.

"Parental Leave" is a blanket term that covers maternity, paternity, and parental leave.

Maternity and Paternity leave are both to increase by two weeks under the Parental Leave and Benefits Bill.

"Parental Leave" is a blanket term that covers maternity, paternity, and parental leave.

Maternity and Paternity leave are both to increase by two weeks under the Parental Leave and Benefits Bill.

Take no need of the article, it's worded badly. Parents leave (not parental leave which is a specific term and is unpaid) is independent of mat/pat and can be taken in 1 week blocks. Each parent gets 2 weeks. You can only claim for one kid, so twins don't get extra leave.

The article is misleading, but the end result is the same.

It's extra time off - and extra four weeks per couple on top of their existing entitlement - but instead of being pleased, all you hear about is whinging that it's not paid at full wage.

Some people don't actually appreciate how good they have it, nowadays.

The article is misleading, but the end result is the same.

It's extra time off - and extra four weeks per couple on top of their existing entitlement - but instead of being pleased, all you hear about is whinging that it's not paid at full wage.

Some people don't actually appreciate how good they have it, nowadays.

Parents leave is kinda better than pat/mat leave as you can spread it out so the hit to the pocket isn't as concentrated. Take-up by dads is expected to be low though but they don't get topped up as often as the mums.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Trimm Trabb

So 4 weeks with full pay for fathers?

• Advertisement

So 4 weeks with full pay for fathers?

Its not at full pay.

Advertisement