Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Meat Co

Options
  • 14-05-2020 3:08pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has ever delved into the meals these lads put out - are the macros actually what they say they are?

I've used them on and off, for protein packs, their ready meals etc that are very convenient and good value at roughly €5 per meal which definitely fills you for lunch instead of going to the shop or making lunch at night.

I upload the barcode to MyFitnessPal. I do wonder though, are the steak/chicken burgers, meals etc the whole jazz actually the macronutrients that are put on the label?

Not a pop at them as I think the food is very tasty!! Just curious.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,092 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Why wouldn’t they be accurate?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

I’d say they more than likely are. Just curious about these things if anyone has ever put it to the test. If it didn’t have the macros that were in it a lot of people probably wouldn’t buy it

Had a chicken Thai red curry from them today and it claimed to be 40g of protein. There definitely wasn’t one full chicken fillet in it . Fair play to them though, making a mint from the fitness industry

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Mellor wrote: »
    Why wouldn’t they be accurate?
    To sell more of course, there is a blatantly obvious vested interest out there to deceive customers. I have no idea about this company but obviously fake figures are common from what I have seen.

Just like many fast food places underestimate they calories in their food by ludicrous amounts. Its extremely easy to send off tiny or massive portions for 3rd party testing, depending on what you want your market to believe. I was looking forward to obligatory calorie values in restaurants as it could be used to backup a complaint.

This was from the romayos chipper chain before, laughable! I'd be refusing to pay if I was dished up a mere pitiful 595kcal full price fresh cod and large chips from an Italian chipper.
    1. Thick chips absorb less oil than thin ones, are high in fibre so our chunky chips are healthier
    2. An average serving of chips contains more than double the amount of fibre found in an average serving of brown rice or a bowl of porridge
    3. Get 1/3 of your daily vitamin C from our chips
    4. Fish and Chips have only 595 calories in the average portion. An average pizza has 871 while a big mac meal has 888
    5. Fish and Chips are the least processed takeaway food

• Registered Users Posts: 39,092 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

rubadub wrote: »
    To sell more of course, there is a blatantly obvious vested interest out there to deceive customers. I have no idea about this company but obviously fake figures are common from what I have seen.
    That’s the opposite scenario though.
    Fish and chips is a greasy feast. The chipper is fudging the test to make them appear “healthier”. They overserve to get the customers. 600 cals is probably 1200.

OP is describing a pre-made meal. Somebody buying one genuinely wants 500cal or whatever. It makes less sense for the company to serve bigger portions as it affects their costs. If the label says 500s I can’t see it being far off. Excluding obviously made up numbers.

It wasn’t clear if OP was suggesting the label is high or low. Seems to be saying protein is low.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Mellor wrote: »
    That’s the opposite scenario though..
    Exactly, that is what I am getting at, "send off tiny or massive portions for 3rd party testing, depending on what you want your market to believe. " companies have vested interest to lie, in their case they were lying about it being too big and I was giving the example of how sometimes they do the opposite.

I like the fact calories are given in the likes of mcdonalds or BK as you can gauge the size of what you are going to get and compare items. This is why I would welcome them in restaurants e.g. get an idea of the size of a dessert.

Had a good laugh at romayo’s saying their pizza was 800 odd calories. Pizza is so dense

Advertisement