Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

06-01-2010, 10:32   #31
Wibbs
Wibbed for your pleasure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubadub View Post
My post was about portions, when I said "A vodka", I meant a 35.5ml measure @37.5%, which does have about half the alcohol of a pint @4.7%, and so people will drink more to get to the same level of drunkenness.

I was not saying one was better than the other, I was warning about portion size calculation. Unsweetened spirits & diet mixers are probably the most low calorie way to get to a given blood alcohol concentration, the sweeteners have been shown to increase alcohol absorption rates.

This is an important point I make a lot. Not all calories are used the same by people. I would be interested if you or anybody else has links to studies on this.
Oh I agree with you. The point I was making(badly) is that I can't see how the alcohol in the beverage is the issue. Yes alcohol has a high calorific count, but its not used by the body. Extreme example; a lump of coal would have a high calorific count, in that burning it produces energy, but if I powder coal and ingest it I'm never going to put weight on as it will pass through the body. It's not a bio available calorie.

To a lesser extent the same would hold true for alcohol. The body treats it as a poison and breaks it down and excretes it. I could see the body using the acetone in lieu of sugar/fat in the body and yes I can see how the insulin spike it would cause would screw with the metabolism, but the alcohol itself has no bio available calories.

So my take(however wrong?) would be that some calories are more bio available than others. So the bio availability in 100 calories of white sugar would be be much higher than in 100 calories of say lean steak?
Advertisement
06-01-2010, 10:45   #32
Wibbs
Wibbed for your pleasure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciaran500 View Post
Don't start insulting posters when you haven't posted a single bit of evidence for your meat only diet.
+1. While I personally agree with him re soy and to a lesser extent pasta and the like, meat only diets are all very well if you're looking at a few hunter gatherer types. Inuit for example. yes they have an almost 100% protein diet, but and it's a big but, they're not living on steak and eggs. They have a highly varied diet of natural, raw animal foods, which covers their needs nicely. Whale and seal blubber as an example has really good balance of omega 3/6 and they eat every bit of the fish they catch inc the eyes(full of Vit c), but they also have massive livers as an adaptation to said diet.

The other problem with diets of this nature is the idea that as a species we stopped evolving 20,000 years ago. We didnt. We've gotten less robust, with smaller teeth and skulls and the majority of changes in the DNA have been dietary ones. Go back 15,000 yrs and the vast majority of people would have been coeliacs with no tolerance to gluten. They would have been lactose intolerant too. Even today modern populations differ in adaptations. Many Indians are lactose intolerant. Many Asians can't break down alcohol like Europeans(Australian Aborigines and Native Americans the same). Actually it's one reason I would have an issue with soy for a European. It's a "new" food in our diet that may not be as tolerated as well as in Asian populations where it has been a staple for 2000+ years. These adaptations occur rapidly too. One theory why the Irish population has a high number of Coeliacs(highest in Europe AFAIR) is that we relied on the potato rather than wheat as a staple carb for 300 yrs.

While I agree that IMHO people eat way too much of the bad carbs, indeed eat too much full stop, going the other extreme is just as daft.
09-03-2010, 09:49   #33

A very nice article you have written.I appreciate the helpful tips and will tell my friends!
10-04-2010, 12:21   #34
Red-B

I was looking into taking Bioastin to stop from getting badly sunburnt on holidays (I have very fair skin). Would you reccommend this or does it have any side effects? Is it actually good for you because i've never heard of it before. Also is it easy to purchase in health food shops or can you only buy it online?
22-04-2010, 20:45   #35

grt post, loads of info
just there is one small problem...
its nearly impossible to eat healthy all the time!
u would have to live in the health shop
i m really trying to deliver to my body all it needs and its so hard work
Advertisement
04-05-2010, 10:40   #36

Saturated fats are NOT bad for you, they are required by the body to carry out many many functions. Half of your own body fat is saturated, it does not make evolutionary sense that we would contract cardiovascular disease from our own bodyfat. Moderators, please don't delete this post, or if you do please read the links below before first..

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/saturated-fat-healthy/
http://www.healingnaturallybybee.com...es/foods14.php
28-08-2010, 14:24   #37
Devil08

Just wondering if them pasta sauces and curry sauces etc you get the jars are ok? Are they not filled with preservatives and attidives etc? Is there such thing as a healthy curry?!
Thanks from:
06-09-2010, 13:15   #38
tHE vAGGABOND

Quote:
Saturated fats are NOT bad for you
..but what is bad for you is that most people eat a redicilous amount of saturdated fat..

Just cos some scientist says we need a bit of saturated fat, does not mean its open season and we should all head down to the chipper tonight and get a large chips and a battered large cod

As with a lot of things in our diets these days, a small bit of 'it' is not bad for you, even good for you - but above that few grams it starts becoming bad for you [eg: studies say a glass of red wine is great for you, but drinking 3 bottles on your own in a single sitting does not mean its REALLY good for you!]. IE: Most people go to excess on these things, and they are therefore bad for you
06-09-2010, 13:17   #39
tHE vAGGABOND

Quote:
pasta sauces and curry sauces
Like all processed food like that, there are good ones and bad ones. You need to check out the labels on the back of the jars.

The best option is to learn how to make your own, so there is no rubbish in it, bar what you put in yourself
Advertisement
23-09-2010, 14:27   #40

info re food and more

hi, i've been getting information from www.safefood.eu it's an informative website and they have a great 'weigh2live' programme that allows you to track yourself regards food and exercise. have a look see... they also have a help line and a facebook page for queries, i'm a fan, PLUS ITS FREE!!
23-09-2010, 14:33   #41
Devil08

how long you been working with them for?
02-10-2010, 19:45   #42
El_Dangeroso
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by tHE vAGGABOND View Post
..but what is bad for you is that most people eat a redicilous amount of saturdated fat..

Just cos some scientist says we need a bit of saturated fat, does not mean its open season and we should all head down to the chipper tonight and get a large chips and a battered large cod

As with a lot of things in our diets these days, a small bit of 'it' is not bad for you, even good for you - but above that few grams it starts becoming bad for you [eg: studies say a glass of red wine is great for you, but drinking 3 bottles on your own in a single sitting does not mean its REALLY good for you!]. IE: Most people go to excess on these things, and they are therefore bad for you

There's little to no saturated fat in a battered cod and chips. That's the mistake a lot of people make, pretty much all fast food is low in sat fat, saturated fat is expensive, fast food is cheap and depends on cheap polyunsaturated fats to deep fry in.

Try overeating saturated fat some time, seriously, sit down with a stick of butter and see how much you get through, you won't get far I promise

In any case saturated fat is not bad for you in any quantity, ask the people in the pacific islands who eat 50% of their calories from sat fat if they've ever heard of heart disease..
02-10-2010, 19:54   #43
El_Dangeroso
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wibbs View Post
Inuit for example. yes they have an almost 100% protein diet, but and it's a big but, they're not living on steak and eggs. They have a highly varied diet of natural, raw animal foods, which covers their needs nicely. Whale and seal blubber as an example has really good balance of omega 3/6 and they eat every bit of the fish they catch inc the eyes(full of Vit c), but they also have massive livers as an adaptation to said diet.
I completely agree with what you said, just want to make a small pedantic point on the Inuit, there is a LOT of misinformation out there about what they actually eat. Their diet is not 100% protein, it's 75% fat, there are tales of them throwing the muscle meat to the dogs, anything more than 30% of calories from protein puts you at risk of protein toxicity and they were well aware of this. They also ate a good variety of plant foods such as berries and kelp which they prized whenever they could eat them.

Zero-carbers love using the Inuit as an example, but rarely actually bother to check out accurate accounts of what they ate.

Sorry for the rant, pet peeve of mine!
08-11-2010, 17:20   #44

Protein

" Proteins aren’t as easy for your body to digest as carbohydrates, so you actually need to work harder to break them down – they naturally increase your metabolism. They also help you stay fuller for longer and if you’re a highly active person, they’re vital to help you keep your muscle mass up. "

Remember that animal protein such as beef can have an impact on your blood sugar levels and insulin levels so always try to eat as much fiber as you can with your meats. I always add a tin of beans and pulses to any meat dish to add extra fiber (or other fiber source). One of the major dis-advantages of meat is its lack of fiber.
Thanks from:
08-11-2010, 17:26   #45
Renn

Heh, funny you should post that as I was reading today.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion