Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread III

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

chris_ie wrote: »
    Any FTTH customers having speed issues this evening?

Issues are rarely the Open Eir part of the network. Usually the problem is with the ISP or with the ISP in a specific area.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

Any FTTH customers having speed issues this evening?

What is the issue you're seeing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭chris_ie

limnam wrote: »
    What is the issue you're seeing?

Just slow speeds. Had issues during work earlier but put it down to the VPN. But now this evening speeds are around 1-5MB at the min. (300MB connection)

I’ve contacted support to see what the story is. Had wondered if there were more widespread issues.

Any idea which ISP is having this issue?

Any idea which ISP is having this issue?

Oops meant to mention that. It’s Airwire. Never usually have any issues.

• Advertisement

Oops meant to mention that. It’s Airwire. Never usually have any issues.

I'm with airwire and have had no issue tonight in the midwest.
    Consistent 146 Mbit and I'm on the 150 package.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,916 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I've read there's a Fibre cable issue between Ballybofey and Donegal.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Headshot wrote: »

Yup - "Transport System failure between Ballybofey and Donegal" - forecast repair by midnight.

Headshot wrote: »
    oscarBravo wrote: »
    Yup - "Transport System failure between Ballybofey and Donegal" - forecast repair by midnight.

That could explain it alright. Cheers lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭medoc

I’m having issues here this evening for the first time ever with Digiweb. Wired it’s 48mb up but only about 19mb down on the 500 package. Ping is nearly 100ms. Strange. Hopefully it’s sorted soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

medoc wrote: »
    I’m having issues here this evening for the first time ever with Digiweb. Wired it’s 48mb up but only about 19mb down on the 500 package. Ping is nearly 100ms. Strange. Hopefully it’s sorted soon.

I'm on the same Digiweb package but no issues in Mayo.
    Ping is the standard 10ms or so and speed 470/48.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Usually the problem is with the ISP or with the ISP in a specific area.

Actually not. OpenEIR has a few overcontended exchanges. It really depends on where the ISP has their interconnect with OpenEIR.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Just wondering who do people generally use for completing the ducting” work. Had vodaphone installer out today and said he can’t do it without the ducking or letting them put a pole in the garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,835 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

One inch ID poly water pipe would be a popular choice, I believe, Though I am not sure if that meets the required spec in terms of ID.

Tilikum17 wrote: »
    Just wondering who do people generally use for completing the ducting” work. Had vodaphone installer out today and said he can’t do it without the ducking or letting them put a pole in the garden.

A KN installer?
    Sometimes they offer to do it as a nixer, I guess he wasn't interested.
    I just did a google for my area and some landscaping companies offer the service. Maybe you can find something similar near you.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

A civil groundworker a builder a landscaper or a farmer or yourself.
    There's no spec but I'd say 3/4inch would be useless if it goes longer than 5 meters. ESB red "hockey stick" hydrodare is ideal.
    They will survey it for ducting or blockage on private property it's still expected you will resolve it but a civil crew may approach the customer from another part of the company basically offering themselves as a contractor to do the work. Your best off doing it yourself as you don't know how long they will take to come out to you if at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭PaddyTheNth

Ducting guidelines - can't sort the link on mobile but Google 'open eir ducting' and their spec doc should be first result.

Wouldn't get too worried about following to the absolute letter but things like inspection points are as much for your benefit as anyone.

DIY definitely if the distance isn't too long. Heavy enough work for a man on his own with a spade!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭dam099

babi-hrse wrote: »
    There's no spec ....l.
    In this day and age that is a bit ridiculous. They (and Siro/Virgin/NBI) should be publishing standards for ducting required in order for them to connect new customers i.e. at least diameter, no more than x degrees of a bend, water ingress resistance etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭medoc

MBSnr wrote: »
    I'm on the same Digiweb package but no issues in Mayo.
    Ping is the standard 10ms or so and speed 470/48.

Back to normal this morning. 480 wired 440 WiFi with 11ms ping. Strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭jgbyr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭John mac

I used 1 1/4" hydrodare , and 8mm pull through , 40M long from the pole to the inlet , hardest part was cutting the path .

dam099 wrote: »
    In this day and age that is a bit ridiculous. They (and Siro/Virgin/NBI) should be publishing standards for ducting required in order for them to connect new customers i.e. at least diameter, no more than x degrees of a bend, water ingress resistance etc.

Well going way back there weren't even ducts it was just armoured cable from the jb4 going up your driveway and up into hall through concrete floor. Times change old houses usually don't so they have to expect not everything is going to be ideal.
    Anything with at two inches internal diameter not having a bend radius lessnthan 1 foot with an inspection chamber at any hard bends such as at the foot of the etu and every 50 meters as rods are only 60m can't rod through a duct longer than our rods is recommended. For ducting to a pole enough hydrodare to bring ducting up 1 meter above ground level up pole. Water ingress isn't a thing the ducts naturally get water coming in them from the network itself. Ducting can be brought up against external wall of house and then it can be cleated to wall where it can travel along plinth or soffit and fascia. Is not allowed to go unducted from the base of the pole to house eg along a boundary fence. It can go unducted cleated to a solid wall but wooden fences are a no no. so if not traveling from a pole overhead to brickwork or cleated along a fixed structure such as a brick wall it needs to be in a duct. Attaching lines to soffit and fascia has not been allowed since last march. (Storms pulled poles and poles pulled fibre which didn't break and ripped soffit and fascia off) so if a copper line attaches to a soffit and fascia overhead it's not possible for the fibre to do the same has to be eyebolted to brickwork. Techs are not allowed onto the roof so attaching an eyebolt to sling the line onto chimney is not possible unless chimney is a part of end gable wall that can be accessed by a ladder without pressing on the roof.
    If specs were being updated for houses it should be houses have internal ducting from etu to inside or internal fibre ran through house. New builds are still coming out with cat5 which puts a few new homeowners off the drilling that is required.
    One instance was etu was built on party wall in gardens and houses had external insulation and no ducting to inside houses from etu just cat5. This meant fibre would have to be ran out along wall to house but can't drill through external insulation so nobody could get a line in.
    Builders haven't been updated and openeir haven't exactly informed them so there's a bit of confusion on both sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

medoc wrote: »
    Back to normal this morning. 480 wired 440 WiFi with 11ms ping. Strange.

Oh you big show off....! I never get more than 473..... ;)

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

We have updated the database for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH today.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

I’ve a lad coming to dig a trench for open eir lad this week. Can anyone tell me what type of pipe needs to go down for the cable? Also, where do you get the pipe?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,835 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Mentioned 4 & 5 posts back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Had a sudden fault this evening with eir.. saying up to 3 working days for a repair. What are the chances of it being done in that time frame?

Quick question. So the pole is right outside our boundary wall. Just had a lad out to look at digging the trench & he asked can the cable/ducting can be brought over the wall rather than under it? As this would save a lot of money.

Anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Tilikum17 wrote: »
    Quick question. So the pole is right outside our boundary wall. Just had a lad out to look at digging the trench & he asked can the cable/ducting can be brought over the wall rather than under it? As this would save a lot of money.

Anyone know?

babi-hrse would be the one to answer that but I suspect youd need to erect a pole inside and run it down from that to the duct inside the wall.

• Advertisement

Yeah if it's your wall you can bring your duct up it and flexed over to pole if right outside next to wall

Advertisement