Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top 5 Horror Film Reccomendations

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Watched Hereditary last night. Thought it was a bit meh and slightly overhyped. Not dreadful and very watchable, but underwhelming and I felt the ending was soft enough.

They underused Gabriel Byrne massively.

It had some nice subtlety but not the modern masterpiece the hype was on about.

Proper horror movie endings need to have you stuck to the couch for an hour, simply terrified to leave the room once it is over, that is the mark. You need to be checking under the bed that night, more than once.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Session 9 freaks the phuck out of me, everytime. It is very subtle.
    Session 9 was terrifying.
    I did rent it by chance many years ago and seriously misjudged the blurb, otherwise I would have never watched it (I don't really do horror, only ghost stories)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

dubstarr wrote: »
    Is Shudder worth it.I dont want to fork out money if its ****e.

You can do a one week trial with it for free. Personally I was very disappointed with it and canceled after 2 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Watched Hereditary last night. Thought it was a bit meh and slightly overhyped. Not dreadful and very watchable, but underwhelming and I felt the ending was soft enough.

Proper horror movie endings need to have you stuck to the couch for an hour, simply terrified to leave the room once it is over, that is the mark. You need to be checking under the bed that night, more than once.

Tbf, the ending in a lot of horror movies are soft purely because the resolution means the horror is over. If the movie has been a decent ride up to a soft ending I'll usually give it a pass.

Some do stick out for their disquieting ending though. The Mist, the japanese original of The Ring, the 1980s The Thing, the original Pet Semetary, Martyrs...

What stands out for you?

Tbf, the ending in a lot of horror movies are soft purely because the resolution means the horror is over. If the movie has been a decent ride up to a soft ending I'll usually give it a pass.

Some do stick out for their disquieting ending though. The Mist, the japanese original of The Ring, the 1980s The Thing, the original Pet Semetary, Martyrs...

What stands out for you?

It is pretty cliché, but the ending of Spoorloos ( The Vanishing ) is particularly chilling.

Obviously the original Carrie will have you jumping over the precipice into your leaba that evening.

But agreed most Hollywood horrors end soothingly enough.

I would also recommend Berberian Sound Studio. Almost like a dark David Lynch movie, not typical but the ending should really piss you off.

I find the tension created by Ben Wheatley in the first 10-15 minutes of Kill List is really gripping. The ending also is scary enough, but there is some awful violence mid movie which is not really my thing. I much prefer suggested suspense.

• Advertisement

It is pretty cliché, but the ending of Spoorloos ( The Vanishing ) is particularly chilling.

Obviously the original Carrie will have you jumping over the precipice into your leaba that evening.

I would also recommend Berberian Sound Studio. Almost like a dark David Lynch movie, not typical but the ending should really piss you off.

I find the tension created by Ben Wheatley in the first 10-15 minutes of Kill List is really gripping. The ending also is scary enough, but there is some awful violence mid movie which is not really my thing. I much prefer suggested suspense.

I'd forgotten Kill List... a fantastic ending to that. I keep meaning to watch Berberian Sound Studio but never seem to be in the mood for it. I think it's on All4 at the moment so there's no real excuse. I think I'll give it a watch this weekend.

And Carrie's ending always makes me laugh. I always tense myself up knowing it's coming but the fecking thing still gets me.

I'd forgotten Kill List... a fantastic ending to that. I keep meaning to watch Berberian Sound Studio but never seem to be in the mood for it. I think it's on All4 at the moment so there's no real excuse. I think I'll give it a watch this weekend.

And Carrie's ending always makes me laugh. I always tense myself up knowing it's coming but the fecking thing still gets me.

Not a typical horror but very disturbing nonetheless is the brilliant Martha Marcy May Marlene. An awful ending that I have still never fully got to the bottom of. Not strictly a horror , but very creepy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,503 ✭✭✭flasher0030

What stands out for you?

The ending of that recent short movie - Host - is far from soft.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

In Fabric by the director of Berberian is worth a look. I really liked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

It's definitely a movie that divided people. I loved it. My favourite horror for a long time. Ending was the weakest section though.

• Advertisement

The Changeling

I dare you too watch it on your own one night, for the full effect. Wait for a windy one. Standard house on the hill stuff, but well creepy.

Have you seen The Others? The director was a big fan of The Changeling and said it was an influence on The Others.

Zak Flaps wrote: »
    Have you seen The Others? The director was a big fan of The Changeling and said it was an influence on The Others.

The Others is excellent. Haven't watched in a few years and I must give it a go soon enough.

I have heard good things about The House of the Devil. I am going to download and watch before Halloween. A couple of hot chicks getting scared running around a haunted house, what is not to like?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

I tried to watch the babadook but couldn’t finish it, I must try it again as most people say it’s scary as hell. Tho I found the kid and mom very annoying.
    I really liked hereditary, and sinister with Ethan Hawke is another great modern horror even tho it’s from few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Philbert

Couldn't agree more. It has been mentioned at least a dozen or more times in this thread and I just don't get it. Have watched it twice, nice film, a little different and well made. But didn't find it scary at all.

While I agree with many other recommendations..

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭rtron

I seen alot of decent horrors from recommendations on this thread. If anyone see anything decent post them up given the season that's in it.

The Last Shift is a hidden gem imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,503 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Philbert wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more. It has been mentioned at least a dozen or more times in this thread and I just don't get it. Have watched it twice, nice film, a little different and well made. But didn't find it scary at all.

While I agree with many other recommendations..

Completely agree. With all the glowing reviews, I thought it was just me that didn’t appreciate the full extent of it. It was the ending that just ruined it all for me. I think if I watched it again, I’d conclude that all but the final 10 mins was really good. But the ending was so flat. Nothing horror about it. Just the family worshipping something. I know there’s religious symbolism going on underneath the surface, and there’s a meaning there that many won’t get without a little google help (I only realized afterwards). But I didn’t really care enough or relate to that meaning for it to be “wow, I didn’t get that in the film, but that’s pretty cool”. It was the opposite of a “wow” moment for me.

Sinister on the other hand – really enjoyed that. Even if the baddie was rather cartoonish. Still had me on the edge of my seat at the end, and decent conclusion.

My favourite horror will always be The Sixth Sense. For me that was top of the class. It may not be full on horror for some here. But had enough scares for me, and was such a unique idea. Brilliant.

There were a few things that bugged me with Hereditary.
    Gabrial Byrne was massively underused. I was expecting him to be involved in some sort of sinister reveal near the end, especially given how passive and caring his character was. Although it does appear that he was being used to indicate that the wife was bonkers re the graves being desecrated etc
    I get that she was a miniature artist but given the heavy symbolism of all the toy houses and her constant remaking of everything including main plot lines this entire concept seemed to completely vanish at the end, almost pointlessly? Unless I fell asleep or missed it? I mean it was a central part of the movie that just seemed to get disregarded
    less obvious was the subtle inclusion of a red light in the centre of the screen. At one point it was a heater, then a light , then in the sons eyes, even the ignition light in her car..... always central and eye catching. Not unllke the model houses this concept vanished after being central to cinematography, baffling overall.

Not really getting the dislike for hereditary at all to be honest. As modern horrors go, it's one of the better ones in recent times and I'd like to see more of this standard of horror instead of the usual drivel we get.

People like complaining I guess....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Wailin wrote: »
    Not really getting the dislike for hereditary at all to be honest. As modern horrors go, it's one of the better ones in recent times and I'd like to see more of this standard of horror instead of the usual drivel we get.

People like complaining I guess....

Yes I really liked it, along with Sinister and It follows they are 3 great modern horror movies, all very original.
    Kill List and Sightseers very good too, although less scary probably.
    IT Chapter 1 was great, and Hostel 1 was very entertaining.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Just findinf this thread, now have a shortlist to go through :D

I'll recommend A Tale of Two Sisters

Korean movie from a while back, really good movie. Wonderful creeping dread through out.

I don't know if you'd classify High Rise as a horror but it is definitely worth a watch. It's very reminiscent of the early Cronenberg movies.

I don't know if you'd classify High Rise as a horror but it is definitely worth a watch. It's very reminiscent of the early Cronenberg movies.

That is Ben Wheatley yeah?

He makes great movies.

That is Ben Wheatley yeah?

He makes great movies.

It is indeed, based on a JG Ballard novel. It's a great film.

Watched Possum last night. I didn't really like it. Found it boring.

Dull and depressing is what I thought of it too.

Watched it there, haven't a clue was going on. It was good, reminded me of 'Mother'.

Await Further Instructions
    Just thought of this one, it was interesting. Reminds me of lockdown.

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057655793/15/#post114946227
    There's another thread on horror recommendations.
    Highly recommend "The screaming silent"

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

So, what have we all lined up for the special time of the year?

A couple I have randomly added to my list are:

The Devil's Doorway (2018)
    Devil's Pass (2013)

Any more suggestions?

Advertisement