Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top 5 Horror Film Reccomendations

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭Wailin

Good man thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

Haven't read all the thread but I cannot recommend Possum highly enough. Probably the best modern horror movie I've seen in the last 5 years.

Very low budget, minimal cast, light on dialogue but an absolute belter of a psychological horror. Dont read anything about it, just watch it. Its only 80 odd minutes long too which is great.

I Saw The Devil, while not strictly a horror, contains some serious tension and has more twists and turns than spaghetti junction.

I think I'll finally get around to watching Possum this week. I love its director, Matthew Holness, a great comedy actor/writer (he created and brilliantly played the lead in Garth Marenghi's Darkplace), but he disappeared off the radar for years. A shame really, because he was a mega-talent, and was up there with Ricky Gervais and Steve Coogan, but didn't seem to want it enough. Good to see him back doing something horrific again :pac:

OK lads Possum or Host for tonight?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Wailin wrote: »

I watched Host last night, I think it delivers even if the idea has been explored before and the plot is very simple
    it's getting decent reviews

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

I think I'll finally get around to watching Possum this week. I love its director, Matthew Holness, a great comedy actor/writer (he created and brilliantly played the lead in Garth Marenghi's Darkplace), but he disappeared off the radar for years. A shame really, because he was a mega-talent, and was up there with Ricky Gervais and Steve Coogan, but didn't seem to want it enough. Good to see him back doing something horrific again :pac:

He popped up a few times in Armando Iannucci's excellent Time Trumpet series.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

^^^Where can I watch this lads?

Possum was on sky movies on Sky go, not sure if still there, i'll check tonight.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,228 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

You had me at darkplace!

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭rtron

Truthvader wrote: »
    Dont Look Now

Probably hard to get on line or whatever as a lot of people have never heard of it. If you can get it watch it.

That was good - I thought of few more while watching it:

Watcher in the woods (1980) - Good Ghost story
    The Skelton Key
    The Room(2019) - Daft

sydthebeat wrote: »
    You had me at darkplace!

Worth a watch? Is it a spoof? That kinda put me off.

• Advertisement

Chalk and cheese.

Host is a cheap jumpscare type of flick like Blair Witch.

Possum is pure art and deeply disturbing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    In a word, Yes.

The way they make it seem like a crappy low budget 80's TV series is great. Excellent attention to detail. Very funny too.
    Also check out Man to Man with Dean Learner, a spoof late night talk show with Holness playing a different guest in every episode. A folk singer, an F1 driver, famous sci-fi actor. Excellent series.

The Long Weekend from 1978 is a great little Aussie horror.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

igCorcaigh wrote: »

It's a spoof but it is a brilliant send-up of the 80's horror genre, both on-screen and in literature. The introductions and the little interview segments sprinkled throughout are very funny. One of my favourite shows.

Rosemarys baby 1968, The Haunting 1963, for me, really intense. The Exorcist, and The Exorcist III (my personal favourite) and The Omen 1976.

Probably left out a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

It's a spoof but it is a brilliant send-up of the 80's horror genre, both on-screen and in literature. The introductions and the little interview segments sprinkled throughout are very funny. One of my favourite shows.
    One of mine, too. I've been keeping an eye on Richard Ayoade's career ever since. He's brilliant as the author's agent, a hopeless non-actor in a major role. My favourite bits are the deliberate continuity errors. It is very, very silly, and utterly unlike anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭franco25

The host worth a watch,only hour long,also the guest up there on the list

Where can I watch old 80's classics such as The Fog folks? I had Shudder for awhile but got rid of it. Very poor selection for a dedicated horror streaming site.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Where can I watch old 80's classics such as The Fog folks? I had Shudder for awhile but got rid of it. Very poor selection for a dedicated horror streaming site.

You can rent it off youtube. Or download a torrent. Be careful down there in St Antonio bay.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

The US & Canada selection on Shudder is much better than what we get. Worth exploring, ah, virtual travel options if you have the option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,340 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

franco25 wrote: »
    The host worth a watch,only hour long,also the guest up there on the list

really good film but it's 2 hours according to IMDB or 110 mins on DVD whatever that means

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Skerries wrote: »
    really good film but it's 2 hours according to IMDB or 110 mins on DVD whatever that means

that's probably the host, Korean monster movie by the director of Parasite.
    This Host is a shudder movie about zoom etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭flasher0030

sweetie wrote: »
    that's probably the host, Korean monster movie by the director of Parasite.
    This Host is a shudder movie about zoom etc.

Even though there is only about 30 mins of scares, frightened the crap out of me anyway.

Session 9 freaks the phuck out of me, everytime. It is very subtle.

The Changeling

I dare you too watch it on your own one night, for the full effect. Wait for a windy one. Standard house on the hill stuff, but well creepy.

Salem's Lot

" open the window Mark ? " .. " I'm your friend " .. the phuck you are , see ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    The Changeling

I dare you too watch it on your own one night, for the full effect. Wait for a windy one. Standard house on the hill stuff, but well creepy.

I loved this movie. And I agree, watch on your own one night. With lights off and volume up.

I did that years ago. During an ad break, i went into the kitchen and was on edge due to a creepy moment in the film moments earlier. I didn't turn on the light as i went to get something in the fridge and the light from the tv in the next room was enough for me to see. I opened the fridge door and suddenly the radio turned on by itself at a very loud volume. I nearly sh*t in my pants. The alarm had been set by accident to go off at 1am!

The Keep
    Cronos

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Fysh wrote: »
    The US & Canada selection on Shudder is much better than what we get. Worth exploring, ah, virtual travel options if you have the option.

Is Shudder worth it.I dont want to fork out money if its ****e.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

dubstarr wrote: »
    Is Shudder worth it.I dont want to fork out money if its ****e.

The UK/Ireland library has ups and downs, so in any given month it might have a load of good stuff or not a lot to offer. However, if you can access the US/Canada library as well it's definitely worth it at £5pm, IMO.

Advertisement