Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Animal Crossing New Horizons (Player list in OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,189 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

I got BLUE BEAR I'm so fuppin happy my all-time favourite character

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,756 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I got the ability to island hop tonight and a shovel so think things might get more interesting now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Gyan84

Finally managed to scrounge up 30 iron nuggets to get the shop finished.

Only thing I'm not a fan of so far is the nook miles ticket. I liked in New Leaf the island you could go to as it was different to your town. Every island I've been to in New Horizons is basically a smaller version of mine: same bugs, same fish and same basic flowers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,534 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

OlVYtf5.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

nintendoo wrote: »
    So, long term AC players, is this the best version ?

I was really really hoping for the return of the gyroids. So no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

Does anyone know if you can make your islanders move out, like you could on the GameCube. I’m furiously smacking them with the bug net in hope. I used to write them nasty letters, and they would complain to the second player about me - it was fun!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Gyan84 wrote: »
    Finally managed to scrounge up 30 iron nuggets to get the shop finished.

Only thing I'm not a fan of so far is the nook miles ticket. I liked in New Leaf the island you could go to as it was different to your town. Every island I've been to in New Horizons is basically a smaller version of mine: same bugs, same fish and same basic flowers.

The other islands become your main source of wood once you start clearing land for new islanders, you land with fresh tools and empty pockets, stripping them bare like some kind of locust-man from Greta Thunberg's nightmares. You can get different fruits (I've gotten coconuts and cherries) if you persevere, as well as bamboo and new villagers which are necessary for advancing the plot/DIY tree.
    Dig flowers up to transport the plant since flowers are now a harvestable.

I've yet to find a really valuable bug. Playing New Leaf at 3am (system time) let you catch hundreds of thousands of bells worth of beetles and sharks. Nook is behind this.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭breakfast roll

So I've added a few for online play. Do they need to be online in order to visit their island ? Dodo ain't letting me go no where

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭goon_magee

So I've added a few for online play. Do they need to be online in order to visit their island ? Dodo ain't letting me go no where

Yep, the player needs to be online, and needs to have their airport gates open on their end.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Mr E wrote: »
    OlVYtf5.jpg?1

Hmm...

Don't think I've ever had to infract an Administrator before...

Well, unprecedented times and all that...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,756 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Hit another road bloack, no ladder, I have to recruit people to get it?

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Mr E wrote: »
    OlVYtf5.jpg?1

Hmm...

Don't think I've ever had to infract an Administrator before...

Well, unprecedented times and all that...

She needed the bells... Tom Nook is ruthless.

I got all the fruit now to start selling it

Hit another road bloack, no ladder, I have to recruit people to get it?

Nook will get a call mid-announcement one ofthe mornings, make sure you speak to him after. This game encourages the worst in humanity - nosiness, stripmining, plying anthropomorphic animals with tawdry baubles so they'll invite you into their house....

Island-devouring tip - it looks like if you put a flower in your hair, you put the whole stack of flowers in your hair. So your head is like a free inventory slot for blossoms. That's 1 more thing you can take home to flog!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,898 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Aghh just logged in to see the Museum is gonna take another day to build, it's the one thing I want built so I can get rid of all these creatures

You've all got it wrong Nook doesn't own that studio it belongs to a guy named Harvey

I thought he was doing 23 large in the big house.

Aghh just logged in to see the Museum is gonna take another day to build, it's the one thing I want built so I can get rid of all these creatures

Put them in storage in your house

Picking up a flower isn't enough to be able to plant it you need to dig it up you can pick up flowers too to use or sell but you need to did em to plant em

Anyone had a spade fail during the 8-swing-at-a-rock mini-rhythm game?

Just got a gold nugget. Thrilled.

Getting solidly into the groove of grinding activities for Nook Miles so I can get a ticket to grind an island for resources so I can advance the plot and get more activities that earn more nook miles. Still no sign of a shark. But I caught an Oar Fish and by golly it looks insanely big.

Zebra turkey fish looks like evolution pauused halfway through that one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Banjo wrote: »
    Anyone had a spade fail during the 8-swing-at-a-rock mini-rhythm game?

Just got a gold nugget. Thrilled.

Getting solidly into the groove of grinding activities for Nook Miles so I can get a ticket to grind an island for resources so I can advance the plot and get more activities that earn more nook miles. Still no sign of a shark. But I caught an Oar Fish and by golly it looks insanely big.

Sharks don't turn up until June according to the internet. I did some time travelling yesterday to confirm a few things and saw a shark fin in the sea. Didn't catch anything or pick up anything or talk to anyone so the universe wouldn't explode around me.

Well I just had a great expedition on my friend's island in Australia, picked up plenty of off-season creatures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭_Godot_

Ahhh, I want this game so bad, but all the switches seem to be sold out right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭rumplyconch

nintendoo wrote: »
    So, long term AC players, is this the best version ?

Still think I prefer New Leaf but wow the museum in New Horizons is so beautiful!! Deffo the best yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭nintendoo

_Godot_ wrote: »
    Ahhh, I want this game so bad, but all the switches seem to be sold out right now.

Damn - now you don't even have a Switch to play on the toilet or toilet paper either. Things are getting bad ! :)

Still think I prefer New Leaf but wow the museum in New Horizons is so beautiful!! Deffo the best yet!

If the Museum from New Horizons was real I would be in it all the time. So nicely laid out, beautiful displays. Superb.

I miss the Kapp'n and his shanties full of rambling advice...

And his granddaughter offering pennies for items she's a touch of the Nook in her

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RedRochey

Just got my switch today after ordering it from Symths on Sunday, downloaded this straight away!

Having fun but not much to do on the first day other than fish and watch our for tarantulas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭dragona

I am so loving this! Waiting for Isabelle and KK..... Love all my villagers, got Norma, Audie, she's funny!

I can waste the best part of a day just doing things :)

Got a pink kangaroo Marcie as my 2nd recruit yes she has a baby in the pouch I love this game it's such a great stress relief

I'm looking for Bob the Cat and Octavian the Octopus

Don't forget to order the daily song from the ATM and install it on your stereo so KK knows you're a fan when he finally shows up!

I'm going to catch a stringfish if it fcuking kills me

bait.jpg

Just realised that you only get 80% of an item's value if you put it in the shop's dropbox, seems a little dumb that building the shop means you go from a 24 hour store to an 8am-10pm store where you can't get full price on products in the off time.

• Advertisement

I guess the trade.off is the Hot Item? And progression of the island, ladder access and the expanded sales inventory. Not great, I guess, but better than sitting on a tonne of beetles all night waiting for the shop to open.

8 tarantulas bagged tonight on a particularly hairy nook miles island. Up yours, you eight legged freaks! I've got your number!

I guess the trade.off is the Hot Item? And progression of the island, ladder access and the expanded sales inventory. Not great, I guess, but better than sitting on a tonne of beetles all night waiting for the shop to open.

8 tarantulas bagged tonight on a particularly hairy nook miles island. Up yours, you eight legged freaks! I've got your number!

The other trade off is not having to go into the shop and have the little creeps follow you around. They are cute... but they crowd you.

Encountered my first tarantula last night, jaysus they are freaky. Was holding the vaulting pole and ran into it and it sort of bumbled around but as soon as I backed off a little and took out my net it got defensive and raised its front legs. So gross. There are scorpions later on in the year too.

If getting chased by wasps save your game and restart and they're gone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

If getting chased by wasps save your game and restart and they're gone

Or catch them with your net :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭holly_johnson

chrislad wrote: »
    Or catch them with your net :)

Or make your own medicine with the empty bees nest & 3 weeds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Rhyme wrote: »
    The other trade off is not having to go into the shop and have the little creeps follow you around. They are cute... but they crowd you.

Encountered my first tarantula last night, jaysus they are freaky. Was holding the vaulting pole and ran into it and it sort of bumbled around but as soon as I backed off a little and took out my net it got defensive and raised its front legs. So gross. There are scorpions later on in the year too.
    My daughter went to a tarantula island and filled up her entire inventory dumped everything except her net. Loaded she was over 200ks worth.

I've found the bamboo island but not the spider one

iamtony wrote: »
    My daughter went to a tarantula island and filled up her entire inventory dumped everything except her net. Loaded she was over 200ks worth.
    I've found the bamboo island but not the spider one

All I have found is multiple instances of 'my island but with a big pond' and no hills. Disappointing. Will keep looking.

I've left my gate open most evenings/nights but no visitors yet :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RedRochey

How many times do you need to shake a tree before furniture falls out? Is once enough or do I need to shake every tree 10 times just to be sure?

iamtony wrote: »

This is my plan for tonight. I saw a Twitch streamer do this (RTGameCrowd). You can also make any island a tarantula one. Just chop down & dig up all the trees, pick all weeds & flowers, leaving nothing else to spawn.

8000 each! I'm rich!
    OK - so I've heard of Tarantula Island with the spiders in the middle but this wasn't it. It was a regular Nook Miles island that I had entirely stripped of resources. Then a Tarantula bit me. So I thought "feck it, I'm nabbing that son of a lady tarantula!" and went after him. I couldn't find him at first but after running around a bit, there he was. It was a very tense few minutes creeping up, waiting for him to de-rear, creeping a little again, etc etc and then catching him. But I was on the far end of the island now and on my run down to the dock there was another one. Jaysus! And that bugger bit me. So I thought I'd build a fire-break of holes (the lake in the middle of the island meant 5 holes would separate one half of the island from the other) so if he chased me I could jump it. But when I fecked up the next catch and tried to jump the holes I got stuck and he bit me again.

I've googled this and there's a science to it that matches what I did -
    1. Play at night
    2. Strip the island - pull the flowers, pick the weeds, dig up the tree stumps, break the rocks. Leave NOTHING!
    3. Dig some holes, so you can run for your life.
    4. Run around. This forces bugs to generate, and they generate based on the local flora. But there isn't any. So that limits you to the Wharf Roach, Tiger Beetle, Tarantula and something that chirps but I can't find the bugger. Scare away what you don't want till the Tarantula comes.

I got 8 in about 40 minutes including stripping the island and that was without knowing that there was a plan.

With #3 above, I found that if I made a channel leading to the jump I could jump the hole accurately - then the tarantula would run around where I jumped from and I could catch him - much easier and quicker than creeping up on it.

|*|
    ->|*|:cool:

So I had like a checkerboard of holes that blocked it's path, and I'd run in between 2 holes (where the -> is) to jump a third and land like Morphius from the Matrix, hence the shades - those 2 holes either side of me meant I was always lined up with the hole I was jumping.

8000 each! I'm rich!
    OK - so I've heard of Tarantula Island with the spiders in the middle but this wasn't it. It was a regular Nook Miles island that I had entirely stripped of resources. Then a Tarantula bit me. So I thought "feck it, I'm nabbing that son of a lady tarantula!" and went after him. I couldn't find him at first but after running around a bit, there he was. It was a very tense few minutes creeping up, waiting for him to de-rear, creeping a little again, etc etc and then catching him. But I was on the far end of the island now and on my run down to the dock there was another one. Jaysus! And that bugger bit me. So I thought I'd build a fire-break of holes (the lake in the middle of the island meant 5 holes would separate one half of the island from the other) so if he chased me I could jump it. But when I fecked up the next catch and tried to jump the holes I got stuck and he bit me again.

I've googled this and there's a science to it that matches what I did -
    1. Play at night
    2. Strip the island - pull the flowers, pick the weeds, dig up the tree stumps, break the rocks. Leave NOTHING!
    3. Dig some holes, so you can run for your life.
    4. Run around. This forces bugs to generate, and they generate based on the local flora. But there isn't any. So that limits you to the Wharf Roach, Tiger Beetle, Tarantula and something that chirps but I can't find the bugger. Scare away what you don't want till the Tarantula comes.

I got 8 in about 40 minutes including stripping the island and that was without knowing that there was a plan.

With #3 above, I found that if I made a channel leading to the jump I could jump the hole accurately - then the tarantula would run around where I jumped from and I could catch him - much easier and quicker than creeping up on it.

|*|
    ->|*|:cool:

So I had like a checkerboard of holes that blocked it's path, and I'd run in between 2 holes (where the -> is) to jump a third and land like Morphius from the Matrix, hence the shades - those 2 holes either side of me meant I was always lined up with the hole I was jumping.

The thing that chirps is a cricket. They spawn underground. Listen to where it’s loudest & dig!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭tbahh

When the store closes at 10 the evening before but you've decided to do some late-night fishing :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Gyan84

Anyone manage to catch a stringfish ? 40 pieces of bait later and all I have to show for it is plentiful black bass. I'm reliably informed that it is in fact the most metal of fish.

Don't want to time travel so trying to catch all the bugs/fish leaving Tuesday.

According to this: https://www.polygon.com/animal-crossing-new-horizons-switch-acnh-guide/2020/3/25/21194292/march-bugs-fish-insects-critterpedia-leaving-last-chance

The only ones I'm missing are the stringfish and the Sturgeon. I managed to get the football fish by chance.

Gyan84 wrote: »
    Anyone manage to catch a stringfish ? 40 pieces of bait later and all I have to show for it is plentiful black bass. I'm reliably informed that it is in fact the most metal of fish.

Don't want to time travel so trying to catch all the bugs/fish leaving Tuesday.

According to this: https://www.polygon.com/animal-crossing-new-horizons-switch-acnh-guide/2020/3/25/21194292/march-bugs-fish-insects-critterpedia-leaving-last-chance

The only ones I'm missing are the stringfish and the Sturgeon. I managed to get the football fish by chance.

Got him last night.

stringfish.jpg

I found both the Stringfish and Sturgeon on mystery islands, I feel like they have a much higher drop rate for rare fish.

• Advertisement
Advertisement