Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Introducing the Current Affairs/IMHO forum

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,300 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Raconteuse wrote: »
    Glad there is a dedicated covid19 forum and it must be a lot of work.
    Certainly is!
    Discodog wrote: »
    I think it's getting better as the volume reduces.
    By my reckoning we're now getting about as many posts in the forum as we were getting in the dedicated threads when it was confined to CA

To put it all in perspective it's attracting about a third of site traffic in terms of posts since the new forum was set up last week

However having a number of "Megathreads" is making things a bit easier. The main problem I find is that a large number of posters want to start threads on any related topic they can think of, rather than posting in one of the Megathreads (which are often relevant to those topics). Then some of the longer running/more substantial threads get pushed off the front page, encouraging more to start similar threads

A little search, or simply scanning through the first 2 or 3 pages will often identify a relevant thread. To date I reckon I've probably closed a dozen or so threads (in addition to those closed for getting to 10k posts) and merged another 40-50 into other threads. We still have getting on for 150 or so "open" threads already in the few days the forum has been open

Beasty wrote: »
    Certainly is!

By my reckoning we're now getting about as many posts in the forum as we were getting in the dedicated threads when it was confined to CA

To put it all in perspective it's attracting about a third of site traffic in terms of posts since the new forum was set up last week

However having a number of "Megathreads" is making things a bit easier. The main problem I find is that a large number of posters want to start threads on any related topic they can think of, rather than posting in one of the Megathreads (which are often relevant to those topics). Then some of the longer running/more substantial threads get pushed off the front page, encouraging more to start similar threads

A little search, or simply scanning through the first 2 or 3 pages will often identify a relevant thread. To date I reckon I've probably closed a dozen or so threads (in addition to those closed for getting to 10k posts) and merged another 40-50 into other threads. We still have getting on for 150 or so "open" threads already in the few days the forum has been open

The last main thread and the current one appear to be a continuous moan about kids/people being outside, a few posters asking the same question again and again, political bickering, misinformation, along with the usual (being polite) edge lords.

If we ever go into an actual lockdown as being called for, not that anyone appears to know what one is and what it will entail, I expect those that were calling for it to be complaining about the length and restrictions introduced.

Hat off to ye, I wouldn't have the patience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

I wonder could the people who are insisting this is a cover for fascism (yet not suggesting an alternative) maybe be redirected to Conspiracy Theories? Their derangement is purely to antagonise. They are literally calling people nazis.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,349 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I wonder could the people who are insisting this is a cover for fascism (yet not suggesting an alternative) maybe be redirected to Conspiracy Theories? Their derangement is purely to antagonise. They are literally calling people nazis.

I occasionally read the dedicated Covid-19 forum, but these loons are in after hours too.

It's a pity they can't be redirected to Facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I occasionally read the dedicated Covid-19 forum, but these loons are in after hours too.

It's a pity they can't be redirected to Facebook.

The dam “burst” awhile ago, L. Threads were left in AH for far too long and the weirdos, creeps and oddballs stuck around.

Lots of nasty, and odious, “opinions” constantly being spat into every thread, at any opportunity.

The Covid “sub forum” has certainly provided a distraction for their nonsense but they still come back when they can.

The tide is turning…

• Advertisement

its a real ""cesspit""!

"Totalitarianism as I have pointed out.

Adolf Varadkar strikes again."

:rolleyes:

The way they're pretending it's for no reason is just trolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,185 ✭✭✭This is it

I presume you're reporting these? Just let the mods deal with them and card/ban as they see fit. I haven't read much today but the main C19 thread is almost self modded. Anyone talking shyte is called out pretty quick. Some continue but reporting is all we can really do.

This is it wrote: »
    I presume you're reporting these? Just let the mods deal with them and card/ban as they see fit. I haven't read much today but the main C19 thread is almost self modded. Anyone talking shyte is called out pretty quick. Some continue but reporting is all we can really do.

It's getting so many zombie accounts resurrecting that it's starting to look like shaun of the dead.
    Also hard to tell if people banned in previous versions have been allowed back in or just chancing their arm and posting the same type of guff in the latest version.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,300 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

"Totalitarianism as I have pointed out.

Adolf Varadkar strikes again."

:rolleyes:

The way they're pretending it's for no reason is just trolling.
    I really cannot understand why you choose to complain here rather than report posts you have a problem with

You may feel you have a larger "audience" here, but I am fed up with these crappy digs at moderation by people who cannot be arsed to follow a process they are totally familiar with. Modding that forum is hard enough without having to deal with this sort of crap

• Advertisement

its a real ""cesspit""!

You’re not wrong, S. But it’s a necessary one and I, for one, hope it continues in its present “format” and that the moderators continue as they are letting the place “flow”.

As I’ve stated previously, I feel it’s the AH crew that are letting the “side” down by not moving threads which just encourages the CA “creatures” to spew all over the place.

The tide is turning…

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

You’re not wrong, S. But it’s a necessary one and I, for one, hope it continues in its present “format” and that the moderators continue as they are letting the place “flow”.

As I’ve stated previously, I feel it’s the AH crew that are letting the “side” down by not moving threads which just encourages the CA “creatures” to spew all over the place.

Hey Emmet. I'm stuck at home for the day. Could you please report any threads you think should be moved and I'll have a look.

I've just had a look at the first 4 pages and besides 3 covid threads I moved to the new forum I can see no others.

Beasty wrote: »
    I really cannot understand why you choose to complain here rather than report posts you have a problem with

You may feel you have a larger "audience" here, but I am fed up with these crappy digs at moderation by people who cannot be arsed to follow a process they are totally familiar with. Modding that forum is hard enough without having to deal with this sort of crap
    But this is the feedback forum. I'm not having a go at moderators but at that particular group of posters who are more interested in pushing an Infowars type political agenda and being antagonistic.

Not sure why you just selected my post for admonishment.

But this is the feedback forum. I'm not having a go at moderators but at that particular group of posters who are more interested in pushing an Infowars type political agenda and being antagonistic.

Not sure why you just selected my post for admonishment.

I made it very clear in my post why I "selected" your post

You complain here about something you cannot be arsed to report

Why is that?

Why do you complain about something in Feedback, but not point it out to moderators?

Maybe if you realise we have had over 500 reports from a forum that has only existed for less than 2 weeks. I have looked at pretty much all those reports, plus more from when the topic was in the main CA forum, I really do not appreciate it when someone comes over here to whinge about something they have failed to alert us to

Nosnon wrote: »
    Hey Emmet. I'm stuck at home for the day. Could you please report any threads you think should be moved and I'll have a look.

I've just had a look at the first 4 pages and besides 3 covid threads I moved to the new forum I can see no others.

Hi N, apologies for not replying sooner, day got away from me. Not one of those posters who’s always hitting “refresh” to see if someone has posted.

My “grievance” stems more from a couple of weeks ago, the “Covid” forum has proven a excellent distraction. Back then there were a number of threads that were really more suited to the “Current Affairs” forum. One just descended into a “free for all” against trans people.

When that carry on goes “unchecked” in AH the “perpetrators” tend to take root, like weeds. Then spread out into other, more normal, threads. Real creepers. You end up with seemingly “innocuous” posts about poor dog walker behaviour getting signed off with ‘they were probably man-hating feminists anyway’.

Can I ask you where the “report thread” button is? I’ve asked about it before as I don’t feel right reporting a post when I feel like the thread, itself, belongs in CA. I, usually, put in a post suggesting the thread be moved, which is, inevitably attacked with the usual “guff” of ‘just because you don’t agree doesn’t mean it shouldn’t be moved’. Usually from the type of poster that writes “loose” when they mean “lose”.

To be perfectly honest with you, I don’t have much faith in the whole reporting “system”. I’ve only reported one post and that was when I was new to the “game”. It was over me being accused of being another user. Obviously, this got no reply and, as such, it’s become “open season” to throw that, particular, accusation about.

I find it easier to just ignore it now, along with the “cohort” who seem to follow me around like a bad smell. I actually think it would “go against” me if I were to start reporting as a couple of them appear to be quite close to the mods as it is.

But this isn’t about me, if there’s a “report thread” button do let me know. I’m mostly on my phone so using the “Touch” site, I haven’t been able to find one on the “Full Site” either though.

Thanks for taking the time.

The tide is turning…

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Hi N, apologies for not replying sooner, day got away from me. Not one of those posters who’s always hitting “refresh” to see if someone has posted.

My “grievance” stems more from a couple of weeks ago, the “Covid” forum has proven a excellent distraction. Back then there were a number of threads that were really more suited to the “Current Affairs” forum. One just descended into a “free for all” against trans people.

When that carry on goes “unchecked” in AH the “perpetrators” tend to take root, like weeds. Then spread out into other, more normal, threads. Real creepers. You end up with seemingly “innocuous” posts about poor dog walker behaviour getting signed off with ‘they were probably man-hating feminists anyway’.

Can I ask you where the “report thread” button is? I’ve asked about it before as I don’t feel right reporting a post when I feel like the thread, itself, belongs in CA. I, usually, put in a post suggesting the thread be moved, which is, inevitably attacked with the usual “guff” of ‘just because you don’t agree doesn’t mean it shouldn’t be moved’. Usually from the type of poster that writes “loose” when they mean “lose”.

To be perfectly honest with you, I don’t have much faith in the whole reporting “system”. I’ve only reported one post and that was when I was new to the “game”. It was over me being accused of being another user. Obviously, this got no reply and, as such, it’s become “open season” to throw that, particular, accusation about.

I find it easier to just ignore it now, along with the “cohort” who seem to follow me around like a bad smell. I actually think it would “go against” me if I were to start reporting as a couple of them appear to be quite close to the mods as it is.

But this isn’t about me, if there’s a “report thread” button do let me know. I’m mostly on my phone so using the “Touch” site, I haven’t been able to find one on the “Full Site” either though.

Thanks for taking the time.

The report button is the little triangle in the lower left corner of a post. The problem with you posting in a thread is we the mods cannot and do not read every post of every thread so never see your post.

Screenshot-6.png

for the touch site its the flag is on the lower left
    Screenshot-7.png

There is no report thread button but what most people do is report the opening post of the thread and just add a note like 'Think this might be better elsewhere'

• Registered Users Posts: 5,185 ✭✭✭This is it

There is no report thread button. Just report your own post or someone else's and explain your reasoning, or PM a few mods. Bringing it up on thread doesn't do much good. A mod likely won't see it and you're pretty much dragging the thread off topic, and you're met with hostility as you said.

Not sure why you've an issue with the report function itself. One report wasn't actioned so you've no faith? It's vital to mods that posters report posts, the place would fall apart without it.

Nosnon wrote: »
    The report button is the little triangle in the lower left corner of a post. The problem with you posting in a thread is we the mods cannot and do not read every post of every thread so never see your post.

Screenshot-6.png

for the touch site its the flag is on the lower left
    Screenshot-7.png

There is no report thread button but what most people do is report the opening post of the thread and just add a note like 'Think this might be better elsewhere'

Thanks for that. Duly noted.

This is it wrote: »
    Not sure why you've an issue with the report function itself. One report wasn't actioned so you've no faith? It's vital to mods that posters report posts, the place would fall apart without it.

Ah, it got a bit “disheartening” to see it go unchecked for so long but I just grew a thicker skin and got on with it.

Some people seem to just get a bit “obsessed” on here and, I guess, they don’t have very much else going on in their lives.

The tide is turning…

strikes me that all this could be avoided by coding a feature upon signup - could flash once for those already signed up when next they log in

"do you wish to see content that mods have allowed but that you personally think ought not to be allowed?" could be the prompt, and if the answer is "yes" no actual changes are needed and if the answer is "no" the user is sent back to google.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

The Ahmaud Arbery and George Floyd threads have been a bit of an eye opener over the last couple of weeks.

There has been-
    -Victim blaming of Floyd who had a knee compressed on his neck for 9 minutes
    -Victim blaming of Arbery who was chased up and down a street for 4 minutes by gun toting men in SUVs before being murdered
    -Heavy levels of whataboutery/off topic posting
    - The spread of disinformation on Boards which has originated from far right and white supremacist websites
    -Bad faith arguments being used as political point scoring alongside subtle racism

Im not having a go at the mods but moreso just pointing out that it is going on. Im all for broad ranging view points on topics but when you see disinformation coming from white supremacist websites being written on Boards as fact its perhaps time to reflect.

I dont envy the mods either, we are just months away from what will prove to be the most divisive election in American history and if anything it ts going to get worse. There always seems to be a link back to Trump.

• Advertisement

"victim blaming" is in itself often- most often, id say- deployed as a bad faith "i don't want to address that aspect of this situation" kind of tool.

what happened to both those guys is wrong, utterly wrong.

posters on boards.ie should still nevertheless be able to decide for themselves what aspects of each incident they wish to discuss, emphasise or argue.

otherwise, your own focus on what is fact or otherwise is im afraid fairly hollow. a bit "no not *those* facts, *these* facts" imo

• Registered Users Posts: 15,822 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Muahahaha wrote: »
    The Ahmaud Arbery and George Floyd threads have been a bit of an eye opener over the last couple of weeks.

There has been-
    -Victim blaming of Arbery who was chased up and down a street for 4 minutes by gun toting men in SUVs before being murdered
    - The spread of disinformation on Boards which has originated from far right and white supremacist websites
    -Bad faith arguments being used as political point scoring alongside subtle racism

Im not having a go at the mods but moreso just pointing out that it is going on. Im all for broad ranging view points on topics but when you see disinformation coming from white supremacist websites being written on Boards as fact its perhaps time to reflect.

I dont envy the mods either, we are just months away from what will prove to be the most divisive election in American history and if anything it ts going to get worse. There always seems to be a link back to Trump.

I have to agree with you. It's as if the supposed Russian Bots have been replaced by Trump ones. As the person who suggest the CA forum, I rarely visit the horrible place that it's become.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I was heavily involved in the ahmaud arbery thread , apologies any offence was caused ,

I was surprised it was allowed to develop the way it did especially considering the op was given a specific warning about his op and several after but it just seemed to encourage them to go all out to blame the victim to the point of diagnosing mental health issues around anger and authority figures ,based off a single past offence,
    While is was acknowledged by the majority ahmaud arbery had a previous criminal record the one poster kept insisting he found more information from multiple sources which they refused to link ,one in particular was infact a White supremist site .

If mod action was quicker and to the point the thread would have died a natural death until the trial of the McMichaels later in the year

• Registered Users Posts: 81,644 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Gatling wrote: »
    I was heavily involved in the ahmaud arbery thread , apologies any offence was caused ,

I was surprised it was allowed to develop the way it did especially considering the op was given a specific warning about his op and several after but it just seemed to encourage them to go all out to blame the victim to the point of diagnosing mental health issues around anger and authority figures ,based off a single past offence,
    While is was acknowledged by the majority ahmaud arbery had a previous criminal record the one poster kept insisting he found more information from multiple sources which they refused to link ,one in particular was infact a White supremist site .

If mod action was quicker and to the point the thread would have died a natural death until the trial of the McMichaels later in the year

A lot of noise was made in that thread by dog whistling about whether his death was motivated by race.

Turns out it was. Today we learned FBI found fibers from Arbery's shirt, and handprints, on William "Roddy" Bryan's truck. Roddy admitted to investigators that Travis McMichael called Arbery a "****ing N*" after the killing, before police arrived on scene and after filming stopped. Bryan previously had claimed publicly he was not involved with the killing and only filmed it, and never mentioned Arbery coming into contact with the truck. This proves both he was an active part of the chase, and it was a hate crime where the shooter, Travis McMichael is concerned at least; FBI also confirmed he used the expletive frequently over the phone and online.

https://www.mediaite.com/news/roddie-bryan-who-filmed-ahmaud-arbery-killing-accused-of-hitting-arbery-with-his-truck-before-the-alleged-murder/

This development defeats a lot of the chaff that closed that thread, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

The current "Everyday Racism" thread is an abhorrent cesspool of a thread, which reads more like 4Chan than anything I would expect to see on Boards.

As a user since 2003 I'm disappointed that this kind of ethno-nationalist circlejerk is allowed to continue with little input from any opposing views. I'd say most dissenting voices either already have most of the participants blocked or, like me, don't think it's worth the inevitable card but at some point it's not serving any purpose but dragging the site down the sewer.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,644 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

2ndcoming wrote: »
    The current "Everyday Racism" thread is an abhorrent cesspool of a thread, which reads more like 4Chan than anything I would expect to see on Boards.

As a user since 2003 I'm disappointed that this kind of ethno-nationalist circlejerk is allowed to continue with little input from any opposing views. I'd say most dissenting voices either already have most of the participants blocked or, like me, don't think it's worth the inevitable card but at some point it's not serving any purpose but dragging the site down the sewer.

It gave me the impression it was irish centric so I haven't bothered to read it much. Are you reporting cesspool posts?

Overheal wrote: »
    It gave me the impression it was irish centric so I haven't bothered to read it much. Are you reporting cesspool posts?

Hopefully they aren’t.

The last thing anyone needs is any of those “creeps” getting banned from CA only to have them taking root and infecting AH. Without the sewer forum keeping them busy the rest of the “normal” forums would get all stinked up.

Maybe there could be a way to make a ban from CA apply to AH as well

The tide is turning…

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

"victim blaming" is in itself often- most often, id say- deployed as a bad faith "i don't want to address that aspect of this situation" kind of tool.

what happened to both those guys is wrong, utterly wrong.

posters on boards.ie should still nevertheless be able to decide for themselves what aspects of each incident they wish to discuss, emphasise or argue.

otherwise, your own focus on what is fact or otherwise is im afraid fairly hollow. a bit "no not *those* facts, *these* facts" imo

Sometimes citing victim-blaming is a deflection and sometimes it’s bang on the money. If some posters are blaming the victims, then obviously that’s going to get pointed out by other posters. It doesn’t stop anyone from discussing it or, if they want, blaming the victims. They just probably won’t get to say it unobstructed. There’s nothing “bad faith” about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Muahahaha wrote: »

There has been-

Just to second that, after fun was banned in AH I decided to try CA after seeing the thread about George Floyd. CA does indeed house a lot of fans of the current POTUS and thinly-veiled racists. You can draw your own Venn diagram on those two sections of society. Its an impossible thread to keep up with, you would want to be on it all day in order to do so, so I can't say I've read it all. What I have read can be fairly disgusting at times.

For a current affairs forum it seems to attract a lot of folks who are not interested in current affairs discussion but just want a platform to spout stupid, meaningless phrases like "all lives matter" and direct anyone viewing to hate-filled right-wing "influencers" who are spreading disinformation at an unbelievable rate.
    Maybe there could be a way to make a ban from CA apply to AH as well

Probably not a bad idea, E.

• Advertisement

Apologies but TBH over the past few months the Coronavirus forum has been particularly time-consuming and the CA forum has probably been a little neglected from a modding perspective. Like the real world the past week has resulted in firefighting on two fronts and it can be a bit of a challenge to get back into some of the CA discussions

I've been AFK for the past couple of days, and have just been looking at some of those threads. I will have a deeper dig into reported posts as sometimes they do fall between the cracks

On the question of bans being applied across both AH and CA this is something that does not happen anywhere on the site. It applies to sub-forums, but AH and CA sit alongside each other in the hierarchy. It would also appear that since the inception of CA the problems have tended to migrate over there

We do now have a bit of a track record of posters in CA, and I am conscious that a number of posters are getting close to permanent bans from the forum. Equally one poster posting some particularly nasty stuff today received a 1 month siteban, with the threat the next one will be permanent

It should be borne in mind though that it's only the past week or so that we've seen some of the more "challenging" issues surrounding racism to deal with. It's not always clear whether someone is being deliberately racist, trolling, or posting innocently ignorant of the way they express things being likely to cause offence

Equally sometime posters can read things differently and may assume ill-intent which may not be there. We do have to exercise a lot of judgement on such matters and that often includes looking at a poster's history which may be more informative

In addition there have been times when I've sanctioned posters who have apologised unprompted when something may read differently than intended, and I often give such posters teh benefit of the doubt

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement