Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JRPG general discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭skerry

The joys of having 3 Jrpg experts, three different valid opinion :pac:

I was laughing at that, glowing praise followed by 'their crap' :D

JPRG's can be very Marmite I'm finding

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,853 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well I don't think they are crap but they are just so safe and mediocre. You can do better than bothering with the series.

Also don't find JRPGs marmite. I find a lot of praise lately for the popular stuff like Ni No Kuni or Octopath Traveller. They got a lot of press but I feel they are just bad/mediocre games but there's been such a lack of good big budget RPGs that they tend to get put on a pedestal over better lesser known games. You've got stuff like DQXI, Etrian Odyssey, Trails of Cold Steel etc. getting overlooked because the gaming press no longer covers smaller games that won't get them clicks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,538 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Well I don't think they are crap but they are just so safe and mediocre. You can do better than bothering with the series.

Also don't find JRPGs marmite. I find a lot of praise lately for the popular stuff like Ni No Kuni or Octopath Traveller. They got a lot of press but I feel they are just bad/mediocre games but there's been such a lack of good big budget RPGs that they tend to get put on a pedestal over better lesser known games. You've got stuff like DQXI, Etrian Odyssey, Trails of Cold Steel etc. getting overlooked because the gaming press no longer covers smaller games that won't get them clicks.

Then all the praise for the total garbage Final Fantasy has been since the PS1.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

I think the the marmite-ness of JRPG's is mostly a result of the bottom falling out of a lot of Japanese publishers having varied catalogs. Almost every Japanese publishers used to have a JRPG franchise but now most games are from niche developers and publishers, (NIS, Gust, Idea Factory) which make low budget games for niche audience's with only SE and Atlus/Sega left making mid/high tier games.

Trails is a bit of an outlier left from a different time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,853 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Then all the praise for the total garbage Final Fantasy has been since the PS1.

FF13-2 and FF13-3 are fantastic games. And I used to hate FF12 but the zodiac job version makes it the great game it should have been.

FF10 is overrated.

Fight me.
    megaten wrote: »
    I think the the marmite-ness of JRPG's is mostly a result of the bottom falling out of a lot of Japanese publishers having varied catalogs. Almost every Japanese publishers used to have a JRPG franchise but now most games are from niche developers and publishers, (NIS, Gust, Idea Factory) which make low budget games for niche audience's with only SE and Atlus/Sega left making mid/high tier games.

Trails is a bit of an outlier left from a different time.

I think it's more games journalisms complete dismissal of handheld gaming as there's still amazing stuff there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

There has been a big lack of good quirky mid budget titles for the last few years, I think quite a few of these have been replaced by studios switching focus to Visual Novels which have seen a steady increase in Western releases in the last few years and dungeon crawlers.

As mentioned for every DQ, Disgaea, Persona, Ys, Trails, EO and SMT game you get bland mediocrity like Octopath, Bravely Default, Star Ocean, Final Fantasy and Ni no Kuni garnering all the sales and press.

I think it's more games journalisms complete dismissal of handheld gaming as there's still amazing stuff there.

That only really applies to the PSP/DS era.

FF13-2 and FF13-3 are fantastic games. And I used to hate FF12 but the zodiac job version makes it the great game it should have been.

FF10 is overrated.

Fight me.

I enjoyed Lightning Returns, the time limit really adds an element of panic to the game despite being quite generous. 13-2 is not bad but suffers from being rushed.

12 suffers from the change in director and the story being aimless for too long. The Zodiac System from International is a big improvement over vanilla I would agree. Also helps that you can speed up the slow combat.

FF10 can have pretty much all the same criticism as 13 leveled at it, it is just as guilty of most of the same issues.

FF15 was an absolute mess at launch that left me disinterested to revisit it up being updated. Didn't help that it launched near the same time as the vastly superior Persona 5.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Xenji wrote: »
    There has been a big lack of good quirky mid budget titles for the last few years, I think quite a few of these have been replaced by studios switching focus to Visual Novels which have seen a steady increase in Western releases in the last few years and dungeon crawlers.

As mentioned for every DQ, Disgaea, Persona, Ys, Trails, EO and SMT game you get bland mediocrity like Octopath, Bravely Default, Star Ocean, Final Fantasy and Ni no Kuni garnering all the sales and press.

Ya we don't need anymore blood visual novels or dungeon tropy dungeon crawlers :mad:, bring turn based combat .

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Ya we don't need anymore blood visual novels or dungeon tropy dungeon crawlers :mad:, bring turn based combat .

Visual novels & turn based combat have the same depth.

Fight me :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Visual novels & turn based combat have the same depth.

Fight me :pac:

Get out!

vHMXqPO.gif

:pac:

What have I started :D:D

Feic it, at 14.99 I'll give Berseria a shot. Will report back when I get stuck in and let ye know who was wrong or right on it ;)

Have Dragon Quest XI on my radar too but not sure if I should wait for Switch release or just go with PS4 version.

I'm waiting on switch to get stuck in proper. Playing dq8 post game so should be well done by release.

skerry wrote: »

Have Dragon Quest XI on my radar too but not sure if I should wait for Switch release or just go with PS4 version.

Unless your a stickler for image quality it probably seems best to wait out for the switch release at this stage?

Feic it, at 14.99 I'll give Berseria a shot. Will report back when I get stuck in and let ye know who was wrong or right on it ;)

I'd wait for the Switch version seeing as the score is being redone by an orchestra and you can swap between the 3D graphics of the PS4 version and the 16 bit pixel art of the 3DS version.

I'd wait for the Switch version seeing as the score is being redone by an orchestra and you can swap between the 3D graphics of the PS4 version and the 16 bit pixel art of the 3DS version.

I had seen that they were adding the option to switch to pixel art which sounds interesting. Didn't know the score was being redone which I gather was one of the main criticisms of the PS4 release. Decision made so I think, I'll hold out for Switch.

You'll I was right in this instance :D :pac:

kidding

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Gave Tales of Vesperia a real go on the Switch but couldn't for the life of me get into it. The battle system seemed all over the place and it was just old tropes and cliches in terms of characters.

Going to start Radiant Historia on the 3DS after hearing decent things.

Started FF9 on the switch and it has these vertical borders on it and it really distracts from the game, probably wouldn't have bothered with it if I had known about it :-/.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,247 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Started FF9 on the switch and it has these vertical borders on it and it really distracts from the game, probably wouldn't have bothered with it if I had known about it :-/.

What's the alternative given its a 4:3 game though? Id hate to have it stretched or have bits of the screen cut

• Advertisement

noodler wrote: »
    What's the alternative given its a 4:3 game though? Id hate to have it stretched or have bits of the screen cut

Hmmm I suppose you're right :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Aren't the FF VII & IX console ports based on the Steam games which are basically the mobile versions of the ga.e or am I mixing it up with other games.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

ERG89 wrote: »
    Aren't the FF VII & IX console ports based on the Steam games which are basically the mobile versions of the ga.e or am I mixing it up with other games.

All releases of the game after the mobile port or basically based on it, they even have all the same bugs and issues as well that were never fixed.

ERG89 wrote: »
    Xenji wrote: »
    All releases of the game after the mobile port or basically based on it, they even have all the same bugs and issues as well that were never fixed.

I thought it was the ps4 version :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

I thought it was the ps4 version :-/

So did I... But I eventually managed to look past the borders. I haven't played IX since it's release and I'm enjoying rediscovering it.

Rather a 4:3 presentation than a stretched presentation where everyone looks fat.

I'd be more concerned about the washed out backgrounds due to them using the mobile art and terrible load times.

Notorious wrote: »
    I haven't played IX since it's release and I'm enjoying rediscovering it.

Same here!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,092 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Gave Tales of Vesperia a real go on the Switch but couldn't for the life of me get into it. The battle system seemed all over the place and it was just old tropes and cliches in terms of characters.

Going to start Radiant Historia on the 3DS after hearing decent things.

Radiant Historia is great played it through on friendly mode am at the final battle with about 45% of the backstory and about 60% of the sidequests done too. Never got this far on the ds version game is tough but enjoyable.

Trying to start Dragon Quest VII again just not getting much from the opening island too much back and forth but that seems to be the aim of the game

Nearly done with Dragon Quest 8. The 3DS version is visually downgraded from the PS2 original but the quality of life additions make up for it. It's a great remake of an already excellent game.

Almost done with the Dragovian trials and will hit the optional super boss dungeon next. Should be able to hit lvl 99 pretty easily as well, liquid and king metal slime hunting is pretty painless in this game with a good set up.

• Advertisement

Got stuck back into Persona 5 again this week. Had played about 20 hours of it when I got PS4 first and left it down for some reason, I'm guessing some shiny new game walked into my life.

Loving it now again. Almost finished second palace which I understand is a low point of the game and gets better from here so looking forward to giving this another good go and hopefully finish it this time.

Advertisement