Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Turning very warm/hot, heatwave conditions likely; Sunday 24th -->

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭amandstu

Who has the highest reading in their car? I had 37 yesterday.... (parked ,I mean)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

RobertKK wrote: »
    Manmade heat islands are not representative of the actual weather. It is like lighting a fire in your garden and placing a thermometer close enough to be affected and then making out it is representative when it manmade influences causing the temperature to be higher.
    If this was fine. I would move my weather station to a location I know where it would give me higher summer temperatures and lower winter temperatures during frosty periods as I could use manmade influences to achieve this.

Sure, this is all obvious, I'm not arguing that stations shouldn't have an identical baseline.

I'm simply pointing out that the Shannon station, being surrounded by man-made influences, is still representative of how hot the temperatures are for most humans in this country, who are surrounded by the exact same influences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Shannon still a rounded 30 at 3 pm, the same as the yesterday and Wednesday (30.3 and 30.1, respectively).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,597 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

pauldry wrote: »
    Thats the carpark!!:D

the wind is blowing from the southeast, the car park is to the north. How does that heat get to the weather station?

The car park is 'quite close' but still more than 50 metres from the weather station, and the weather station itself is on an elevated site

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,867 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

sryanbruen wrote: »
    The UK Met Office switched over to Celsius in January 1961.

So the KK record was 92°F ?

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,666 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

So the KK record was 92°F ?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

On the way down to my summer house on the cork coast. .........

Fine for some!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭JaMarcus

Been putting t-shirts in the fridge before my gym sessions this week. Absolutely one of the top 5 feelings you can experience in life changing into a nice cold, refreshing t-shirt when you're on the verge of melting. Doesn't last very long, mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

For those of you who have home weather stations , where is the best location for the thermometer ? Granted I won’t have an ideal spot as I live in a 3 bed semi.
    Currently have it attached to a trellis in middle of garden.. would like to upgrade my current set up..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

It's pretty difficult to get a perfect location - there are bound to be manmade or geographical factors which cause variations between each station (in respect of Shannon that is).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Really really getting tired of this now. There is no escape!

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

This is interesting.for every one comparing 1976 to 2018 (so Far)

16 consecutive days over 30 °C (86 °F) from 23 June to 8 July[4] and for 15 consecutive days from 23 June to 7 July temperatures reached 32.2 °C (90 °F) somewhere in England. Furthermore, five days saw temperatures exceed 35 °C (95 °F). On 28 June, temperatures reached 35.6 °C (96.1 °F) in Southampton, the highest June temperature recorded in the UK. The hottest day of all was 3 July, with temperatures reaching 35.9 °C (96.6 °F) in Cheltenham.

Oneiric 3 wrote: »

Get along to Eamonn Deacy Park tonight - one of the coldest places in Ireland

EDIT - I might even chance not bringing a jacket

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Struggling a bit to keep up with yesterday at 2 pm. Shannon a bit lower, but dewpoints in general are several degrees higher today.

I feckin’ knew it! The overall picture for the country earlier was lower temps than yesterday. :)

Akrasia wrote: »
    the wind is blowing from the southeast, the car park is to the north. How does that heat get to the weather station?

The car park is 'quite close' but still more than 50 metres from the weather station, and the weather station itself is on an elevated site

The carpark and buildings cover the whole eastern 180 ° of the station, and a southeast flow has the longest fetch over the hot surface (almost 200 metres). The centre of the square compound is only around 10 metres from the tarmac.

454485.png

Also add that 76 heatwave lasted from early June to end of August Huge thunderstorms ended it

Steve F wrote: »
    Also add that 76 heatwave lasted from early June to end of August Huge thunderstorms ended it

I explained all the facts and figures in my Summer 1976 which I posted here on the 20th June. :)
    Lots of comparisons will be made with this heatwave to 1976 and as a result, I have made this video to give you an insight into the Summer of 1976.

It was the year that ABBA was number one on the charts and Denis Howell was appointed Minister for Drought (but was followed by thunderstorms and a very wet Autumn).

Enjoy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

On the way down to my summer house on the cork coast. Driving for 20 mins and car says 32 degrees. It’s warm alright.

Your parents summer house ;)

I explained all the facts and figures in my Summer 1976 which I posted here on the 20th June. :)

Sorry
    Steve

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

Come to Tenerife
    It has clouded over completely today
    Cool and breezy
    And not even a World Cup match on to watch
    Heaven for you
    Hell for me

Shannon just hovering below the 30.0 threshold at 2 pm, and the other 3 stations lower than yesterday too. Still, not too shabby...
    Highest in the North is 29.1 at Castlederg.

454568.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

amandstu wrote: »
    Who has the highest reading in their car? I had 37 yesterday.... (parked ,I mean)

I got 39 on Tuesady in south offaly. Parked in a Tesco carpark with no other cars nearby

• Registered Users Posts: 33,752 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

harr wrote: »
    For those of you who have home weather stations , where is the best location for the thermometer ? Granted I won’t have an ideal spot as I live in a 3 bed semi.
    Currently have it attached to a trellis in middle of garden.. would like to upgrade my current set up..

A grass surface, in the most open location you can use away from man made influences, thermometer placed at 1.2 metres from the surface.

Steve F wrote: »
    Sorry
    Steve

Nothing to be sorry about dude, just showing you the video. Perhaps I could intrigue you into researching more about Summer 1976 after seeing it. ;)

The carpark and buildings cover the whole eastern 180 ° of the station, and a southeast flow has the longest fetch over the hot surface (almost 200 metres). The centre of the square compound is only around 10 metres from the tarmac.

Bing Maps has slightly clearer satellite imagery for that area, in case it's useful:

nNwBrC8.jpg

• Advertisement

amandstu wrote: »

54 in my campervan yesterday...does that count? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Gambas

So disappointed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

I think we should scrap Shannon's data, as clearly, going by the 'rule book', it is not located properly. I's mean, most other official stations are located in fields in the middle of nowhere, which, I am told, is standard practice, so how it that Shannon gets a 'free pass' regarding this? Can the data from this station be really fairly compared to data from the bog warrior stations?

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

MidMan25 wrote: »
    Your parents summer house ;)

Aha true :)

Just looking forward to that bit of a sea breeze. 27 degrees according to the car in Clonakilty :)

The only image of the met station at Shannon that I can find is this one from the old met.ie site.

shannonterm_build1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Comhrá

harr wrote: »

I'm also in a 3-bed semi with a back garden of sorts so not the ideal location for a weather station. I mounted mine in a concrete base within a flower-pot which means I can move it about a little in order to avoid direct sunlight.

36414774_10213750983021073_4043675944991326208_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&_nc_eui2=AeF4BiEv0Y81QHYGchumacNljwABM3bLu58-Te5rlt60l8ZOLvcrLzqRtZyiJaDW_e3ukhoRbkE6Mdm7XwEZLeXEOaSuHmMpydxr29tgxutnkg&oh=f20e9a95446a23a6891d3b3b13fb25ff&oe=5BE211E4

Was Shannon on this page? It doesn't seem to be right now.

EDIT: Then again, none of the synoptic Airport stations are (Cork and Dublin too) along with others like Casement Aerodrome.

Fl9yviJ.png

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

It just edged over the 30C mark in Castlebar for the third day straight, later though today reaching the mark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Comhra wrote: »
    I'm also in a 3-bed semi with a back garden of sorts so not the ideal location for a weather station. I mounted mine in a concrete base within a flower-pot which means I can move it about a little in order to avoid direct sunlight.

36414774_10213750983021073_4043675944991326208_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&_nc_eui2=AeF4BiEv0Y81QHYGchumacNljwABM3bLu58-Te5rlt60l8ZOLvcrLzqRtZyiJaDW_e3ukhoRbkE6Mdm7XwEZLeXEOaSuHmMpydxr29tgxutnkg&oh=f20e9a95446a23a6891d3b3b13fb25ff&oe=5BE211E4

Brilliant idea ,thanks for that. It’s time I invested in a better set up...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

km79 wrote: »
    Come to Tenerife
    It has clouded over completely today
    Cool and breezy
    And not even a World Cup match on to watch
    Heaven for you
    Hell for me

ask the barman to stick on Dundalk v Cork City for you later!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,959 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

sea breezes really knocking several degrees of the temperatures here since about 1.30pm. Currently 24C and feeling very pleasant in the breeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Temperature after dropping now in North Cork as a breeze had taken hold ..

25.9 DegC @ 48% humidity. (Down from 30.4 DegC this time yesterday)

Northern Ireland getting a hosepipe ban now starting today.

https://twitter.com/bbcweather/status/1012713564686217216

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,597 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Sorry, I thought the weather station was somewhere different.

Looks like an awful place to put it, but I've gone and checked an old photograph from the 1950s and it appears that the car park and at least some of those buildings were there back then. And if that's the case, then even if there is a heat island there, at least it's been there since the start.

9e7b571e85d8b5da86d16a8521e677e4.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭snowstreams

I always thought that the saltmarsh there could have a heat affect too.
    Its quite dark soil, but it is kept damp twice a day though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,227 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I think we should scrap Shannon's data, as clearly, going by the 'rule book', it is not located properly. I's mean, most other official stations are located in fields in the middle of nowhere, which, I am told, is standard practice, so how it that Shannon gets a 'free pass' regarding this? Can the data from this station be really fairly compared to data from the bog warrior stations?

Someone's getting moody with the weather!

testicles wrote: »
    If that's the met station, it's not in the same location as the satellite images from earlier.

The car park in Shannon, where the satellite images are from, existed in 1976 too. It was formerly the car park for Shannon ATC Centre before it moved to Ballycasey

Yup, agreed. That photo is from the south/southwest of the airport.

Meanwhile, we've reached 31.1c here in West Clare. I doubt we've ever experienced such a high temperature here, and it's certainly the highest in my lifetime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,421 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Very bearable to sit out in today. Nice occasional fresh breeze blowing keeping everything nice and chill.

Athlone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Was out by the Royal Canal there. That is some sexy, sexy weather. 24 degrees at Phoenix Park, our nearest station, at 4pm and with a light breeze. Heaven.

New record (by just 0.1) in Roscrea 30.3 at 4:12 pm

Banned in Dublin from next Monday

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,959 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

temp here has dropped another degree, down to 23C now, after a high of 26C at 1pm.

Shannon 31.1 at 4 pm, 0.4 less than yesterday.. Dont think its going to beat yesterday.

Gurteen 29.5, the exact same as yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

JCX BXC wrote: »

Banned in Dublin from next Monday
    Better fill the pool now

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement