Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dash cams, what to get and where to get it (Q&A only)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Hi lads, the old fella is looking to get a dash cam for about 40-50 euros.

I'm gonna read back through the thread but you can make any recommendations?

Dont forget to factor in an SD card.

Most men have them in the man drawer. But if you dont have one, it will be an extra 15-20 quid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

Nino Brown wrote: »

Here's the first page of the options menu on the Lukas, 5,10,15 fps are greyed out, maybe there's other settings I need to change to make them available.

This is different from the pdf manual available from the link I found, that must be an older version.
    Probably if you set a lower image quality it lets you choose slower frame rates. It could make sense.
    I used to drive a focus, and the cigarette lighters are always on in them too. It wasn't a problem, the camera was just always on.
    The Lukas is designed to be always on all the time anyway, and you can get regulator kit with them I described earlier in this thread so that you don't use the cigarette lighter at all.

Alright! :)

I checked all the manuals of all models from Lukas.
    None of them mentions the frame rate... :confused:
    More, as I understand not all models have a GPS receiver built-in, it seems that only models 7700 and 7900 do have it.
    Then, I haven't understood how the system is turned on and off. Alright, there's an on/off button, but do I always have to power it off before removing the key? What if I remove the key without turning the cam off? This may happen when in a hurry, or distract by other thoughts, or when the engine stops for an incorrect manouvre and I have to restart the engine... will all data be erased or lost?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,838 ✭✭✭✭cormie

You're looking into this too much :)

Buy a decent camera, buy 2 memory cards since you seem to be concerned (I have two for mine too ;)). If you record something important, pop out the card and replace it with the other one until you have had a chance to back up the video files to a computer, or, with the new ones using micro SD cards, you could back it up to most android phones by inserting the memory card for 5 minutes.

To the poster concerned about proof of delivery, some cameras allow you to snap a photo, this evidence would be pretty much equal to camera footage that you were at the location, unless you want to specifically position and park your van so it's facing you walking into the building etc. Also, presuming you use a dedicated GPS while driving, most GPS units have the feature to leave a snail trail of where you've driver, so you could use them both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Nino Brown

I checked all the manuals of all models from Lukas.
    None of them mentions the frame rate... :confused:
    More, as I understand not all models have a GPS receiver built-in, it seems that only models 7700 and 7900 do have it.
    The 7500 definitely has GPS too. I don't know what to tell you about the manuals. I just checked the manual that came with mine, and it just tells me how to get to the options screen, it doesn't explain any options at all. BTW the options are not edited on the camera, you edit them on the player, then save it to the card, and when you put the card in the camera the options upload.
    Then, I haven't understood how the system is turned on and off. Alright, there's an on/off button, but do I always have to power it off before removing the key?
    Okay in your case, if you leave it plugged in to the cigarette lighter, the camera will always be on, 24/7. But in the case of the lukas it would detect that you're not driving anymore and enter parking mode.Where it would only record motion and impacts.
    If you have a car which powers off the cigarette lighter when the ignition is off, the internal battery will have enough power to safely shut down the camera, and will power on again when you turn on the ignition, no need to touch the power button.
    I use the on/off button because my camera is hard wired to the car, and the camera should be off before removing the SD card. In your case you could either turn it off, or plug it out before removing the card, that's really all the button is for, you don't need to use it on a daily basis unless you're worried about your car battery.
    And the data records in segments of usually 1-5 mins, so even if your internal battery had failed completely, and you turn off your ignition, you'd only lose the last few minutes of video.

All right Nino Brown, I think I have all the details and info that I needed, I think that I won't bother you anymore :P
    Thanks a lot for you huge kindness!

All right Nino Brown, I think I have all the details and info that I needed, I think that I won't bother you anymore :P
    Thanks a lot for you huge kindness!

No problem at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Spotted in BA, http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057139832

Any opinons? Think I saw one like this posted here before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

zerks wrote: »

Not a great cam anymore but one like it did set the standard, unfortunately it has been cloned and cloned and cloned again ~ if it's an original it does basic dash-cam functions.

PS. Even Amazon Co UK were selling the clone knockoffs ~ :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

zerks wrote: »
    Spotted in BA, http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057139832

Yes I have something similar and its been doing its job everyday for the last 18 months.

Its hard to get a number plate from a moving car though, which could be very important in the event of a crash.

As soon as the next pay check comes in, upgrade time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Got my dashcam today.
    The cigarette lighter socket in my A6 is powered even when the car is off.
    Anybody have a rough idea how long before a dashcam drains a car battery?

Anybody know where to buy a fuse tap local?
    Want to hardwire it in.
    Will probably post question on how to do that later

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭huggs2

I got a fuse tap in Halfords recently for my dashcam.

Sound lads ,will go to halfrauds today to check.

XsApollo wrote: »
    Sound lads ,will go to halfrauds today to check.

No fuse jack in halfords limerick.
    Will have to go online

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭frogstar

Hi

Any thoughts on this http://www.i-esale.com/battyshow.php?code=2.8%20inch%20HD720P%20Car%20Black%20Box%20Camera%20with%20External%20Camera#

My dad wants me to get it for him but I think it's expensive? He got a cheap one last year but thinks this will be better

I think his main concern is how much it can record. Is this a good one? He is elderly and I don't want to waste money on something that doesn't suit.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

frogstar wrote: »
    Hi

Any thoughts on this http://www.i-esale.com/battyshow.php?code=2.8%20inch%20HD720P%20Car%20Black%20Box%20Camera%20with%20External%20Camera#

My dad wants me to get it for him but I think it's expensive? He got a cheap one last year but thinks this will be better

I think his main concern is how much it can record. Is this a good one? He is elderly and I don't want to waste money on something that doesn't suit.

Thanks

I would suggest you get one thats been reviewed and earned a positive rating.
    Techmoan.com has reviews of a number of cameras, across different price ranges. There are some truly awful ones about so its best to know what you are getting in advance and to buy from a reputable seller.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Notdream

But i was wondering, if i already have a gps in the car, and its already using the power souce(the ciggarette lighter thingy), where is the camera gonna be connected to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Notdream wrote: »
    But i was wondering, if i already have a gps in the car, and its already using the power souce(the ciggarette lighter thingy), where is the camera gonna be connected to?
    One of these

CJhaughey wrote: »

Except I'd get a three port output of better quality. I'm collecting a few of those cheapish ones in the trash.

For me they have not lasted in daily use, keep them for occasional use [imo].

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,810 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

I've two more cig lighter sockets installed for such a purpose. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Woodpecker1

I got one of these today.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/310752336819?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

This is my 3rd dash cam .

The quality is outstanding. Highly recomended. Very cheap as well. This is as good as it gets for the money.

I got stung with a fake G1w dash cam recently. Was a clone of a clone. Terrible grainny picture.

But this seller is very trustworthy .

tester1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭mjv2ydratu679c

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/310752336819?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

This is my 3rd dash cam .

The quality is outstanding. Highly recomended. Very cheap as well. This is as good as it gets for the money.

I got stung with a fake G1w dash cam recently. Was a clone of a clone. Terrible grainny picture.

tester1.jpg

Quality looks great - how long does it record for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭mjv2ydratu679c

Sorry 1 last question - have you tried it at night yet?

Sorry 1 last question - have you tried it at night yet?

I have been on the road with work till now.
    With some dark back roads and city driving.
    So I will try and get some up on Youtude later.

Right here is some of the daytime. I will hold off on dark vids. I ran out of windscreen washer on my trip and the dirty window does not help.

You need to set the youtube vid to full HD in the bottom RH corner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Decoda

Hi Woodpecker,

Great looking dash cam footage for the price. Just a quick question. I've tried to order off of that ebay seller through your link but he doesn't seem to deliver to Ireland? Do you mind me asking how did you get it delivered?

Thanks

D

Mine is very similar, got it off Chinavasion as like you, my first foray into this world was also a clone of a clone, it's a pity we have to suffer them, especially as they are not real bargains usually and ironically sometimes even more expensive than a genuine dealer.

My feedback to the clone of a clone was something like this "Shut this one down, clone of clone total rubbish"

Decoda wrote: »
    Hi Woodpecker,

Great looking dash cam footage for the price. Just a quick question. I've tried to order off of that ebay seller through your link but he doesn't seem to deliver to Ireland? Do you mind me asking how did you get it delivered?

Thanks

D

If you set up an account with Parcel Motel you will get it. I think the first couple deliveries are free with them.

http://www.parcelmotel.com/about.html

There was a two week wait as the cam will be coming from Asia.
    It depends on the card you use. I use a class4 32gb mini sd card and it has filmed about 5 hours so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

That doesn't have a GPS though does it? Looks great otherwise!

• Advertisement

ironclaw wrote: »
    That doesn't have a GPS though does it? Looks great otherwise!

No GPS. But to be completely honest. I think one is better off turning the GPS off.

All it will serve to do is incriminate you if you wander over the limit and someone crashes into you.

Even if I had a real good dash cam, the GPS would not be turned on.

S would not be turned on.

GPS though is about 10 mile per hour lower [slower] than than a speedometer.

Red Nissan wrote: »
    GPS though is about 10 mile per hour lower [slower] than than a speedometer.

GPS is accurate depending on what system you use. My Garmin is spot on the mark as long as I am not driving on a hill.

A Speedometer in a car reads low for a number of reasons. Most important is to keep you below the legal limit, others are different wheel and tire sizes that make you go faster than you think you are going.

A Speedometer in a car reads low for a number of reasons. Most important is to keep you below the legal limit, others are different wheel and tire sizes that make you go faster than you think you are going.

All good points. But a speedometer must be accurate, it's not deliberately low.

I've matched my own speedo with wind anemometers at 50 miles on calm days, they match my speed.

Two GPS units agree with each other, one a Garmin and the other in a dashcam [which can only be seen in playback on the PC, I often shout out the speedo reading so the microphone picks it up].

Accuracy diminishes with speed, 50 miles an hour is the max reliability of the wind anemomoters, on motorways with clear slies and even speeds GPS will approach a 70 mph accuracy with speedometer. BUT ~ I suspect that is predictive, in the same way one is tracked in a tunnel for five minutes.

No commercial unit of GPS sold to the general public in Garmin units or Sat Navs will have the military grade accuracy for real time speed accuracy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

I'm looking for a camera with very good visibility at night, and that can also run when the car is off. Any ideas? Naturally I'd like to keep costs down also.

A Speedometer in a car reads low for a number of reasons. Most important is to keep you below the legal limit

Actually, I think that a speedometer reads a higher speed.
    I mean, it reads 53 when you're going 50, it reads 110 when you're going 100, and so on.
    This way it helps you be on the safe side. You think you are speeding, but actually you are a bit slower than the limits.

Actually, I think that a speedometer reads a higher speed.
    I mean, it reads 53 when you're going 50, it reads 110 when you're going 100, and so on.
    This way it helps you be on the safe side. You think you are speeding, but actually you are a bit slower than the limits.

Sorry . yes. I got my hi and low mixed up there:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

You can read it all here but Speedometers, at least under EU law, are not designed to be accurate:

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2010:120:0040:0048:EN:PDF

GPS is far more accurate. In fact I'm surprised newer cars are not taking a feed from the tyres and a GPS to improve accuracy.

Interestingly however, every car I drove in the US was spot on compared to GPS and even a laser gun (On a track day) So it would appear US law is different.

ironclaw wrote: »
    You can read it all here but Speedometers, at least under EU law, are not designed to be accurate:

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2010:120:0040:0048:EN:PDF

GPS is far more accurate. In fact I'm surprised newer cars are not taking a feed from the tyres and a GPS to improve accuracy.

Interestingly however, every car I drove in the US was spot on compared to GPS and even a laser gun (On a track day) So it would appear US law is different.

I see a difference when going up or down a hill with GPS speed and incar speedo. I dont think the gps can compensate for the extra distance travelled when not on the flat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Damien360

Dord wrote: »
    I'm looking for a camera with very good visibility at night, and that can also run when the car is off. Any ideas? Naturally I'd like to keep costs down also.

Good visibility at night is the holy grail in these cameras. Very hard to get one without spending a lot. My budget was €100 and I got a camera that is excellent during the day but truly hopeless at night. I got the 0801 camera sold by e-prance. (check it on amazon). It really depends on your budget.

I was looking at this for a while and ticks all the boxes for you but it ain't cheap

http://www.mi-witness.co.uk/

Reviews here should get you started http://dashcamtalk.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

I'm looking for a dash cam that with motion detection that has the ability to record when parked. Reason for this is if my car is vandalised/damaged when parked I'd hopefully be able to capture faces/licence plates.

Can anyone recommend a model?

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    I'm looking for a dash cam that with motion detection that has the ability to record when parked. Reason for this is if my car is vandalised/damaged when parked I'd hopefully be able to capture faces/licence plates.

Can anyone recommend a model?

The model I recommend has motion detection and is quite good in the dark . It is from china though. God only knows how long it will last.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

The model I recommend has motion detection and is quite good in the dark . It is from china though. God only knows how long it will last.

According to this (excellent!) review website, the dashcam you mention doesnt have 'parking mode'? ....what exactly does 'parking mode' mean?

http://dashcamtalk.com/g1w/

I'm seriously considering buying this version of the dashcam you bought Woodpecker1...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/310830749213

Silvera wrote: »
    According to this (excellent!) review website, the dashcam you mention doesnt have 'parking mode'? ....what exactly does 'parking mode' mean?

http://dashcamtalk.com/g1w/

I'm seriously considering buying this version of the dashcam you bought Woodpecker1...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/310830749213

I got stung with a fake one the first time I bought.

But I sold it on and bought the correct G1w. I recommend using the seller I posted. He was also linked on techmans youtube page. The seller is selling the real deal.

Silvera wrote: »
    ....what exactly does 'parking mode' mean?

Once wired up correctly it will run keeping a watch on the vehicle whilst parked. Conditions apply.

Normal mode of operation is the device is wired to the car battery, through the cigar lighter [usually] and only operates with mains power on.

If under these conditions one were to force the power to stay on, one's car battery would flatten in an hour or two.

Cameras that support parking mode can stay on via their own internal power for about two hours, or use motion detection to only come on if motion is detected.

Also these can be wired to the engine through a device that prevents the car battery going too low to start, four hours I think is what that gives. ot a second battery can be installed in the car and the wired to that and it switches to mains as the engine runs.

• Advertisement

Red Nissan wrote: »
    Once wired up correctly it will run keeping a watch on the vehicle whilst parked. Conditions apply.

Normal mode of operation is the device is wired to the car battery, through the cigar lighter [usually] and only operates with mains power on.

If under these conditions one were to force the power to stay on, one's car battery would flatten in an hour or two.

Cameras that support parking mode can stay on via their own internal power for about two hours, or use motion detection to only come on if motion is detected.

Also these can be wired to the engine through a device that prevents the car battery going too low to start, four hours I think is what that gives. ot a second battery can be installed in the car and the wired to that and it switches to mains as the engine runs.

A dash cam won't run down a battery in a few hours. I've left mine on for days, and never had a problem. They draw very little juice.

A dash cam won't run down a battery in a few hours. I've left mine on for days, and never had a problem. They draw very little juice.

I can't obviously comment on any particular cam, it is industry advise to protect from a flat battery.

My Transit never seems to drain a battery, but my Nissan does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

My dashcam will completely drain my battery in a couple of hours.

sentient_6 wrote: »
    My dashcam will completely drain my battery in a couple of hours.

Fair enough. What camera is that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Fair enough. What camera is that?

Smartcam 2

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement