Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bird box

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Keyzer wrote: »

It's really disappointing the garbage being produced these days. Having said that, I watched the Revenant recently (masterpiece) and Children of Men (amazing).

Agreed.

The fact the movie is complete garbage in almost every way is fine. The fact that there are so many people saying they enjoyed it is concerning.

I don't want to live in a world where Bird box is considered an ok movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Agreed.

The fact the movie is complete garbage in almost every way is fine. The fact that there are so many people saying they enjoyed it is concerning.

Hyperbole is a feature of many modern movies. Just saying like.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭restive

Saw it tonight. Ok but not a patch on the quiet place.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I kept waiting for the twist or reveal.....

It never came.

Who or what were these creatures? What do they want and where do they come from? Why do they make people want to kill themselves? Why were some (clearly mentally ill) people happy to see them and largely unaffected....and why would these people want everyone else to see?

These aren't questions you can just gloss over when your entire movie revolves around them. Apart from some shoddy CGI with the boat on the river, visually it was excellent considering how low its budget was but ultimately I can't get over the massive hole in the movie regarding the creatures.

I thought Bullock was quite convincing, as per usual. The young girl was good too. It's hard to find decent child actors. I wouldn't be heaping the massive amount of praise on her she seems to be getting elsewhere...but she was passable which I guess is good enough. The supporting cast impressed me and unlike some I have no issue with Malkovich.

The ending made no sense. Okay, so the birds can give you a warning. So what? You can't fight these things so a warning wont do you any good. Whats to stop the roaming band of loonies from just breaking in to the blind school? And how in the hell do they FEED a hundred people like that?

Why did this movie get so much buzz and praise? I don't get it. A Quiet Place is a far, far superior movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,047 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Kirby wrote: »

It never came.

Who or what were these creatures? What do they want and where do they come from? Why do they make people want to kill themselves? Why were some (clearly mentally ill) people happy to see them and largely unaffected....and why would these people want everyone else to see?

These aren't questions you can just gloss over when your entire movie revolves around them. Apart from some shoddy CGI with the boat on the river, visually it was excellent considering how low its budget was but ultimately I can't get over the massive hole in the movie regarding the creatures.

I thought Bullock was quite convincing, as per usual. The young girl was good too. It's hard to find decent child actors. I wouldn't be heaping the massive amount of praise on her she seems to be getting elsewhere...but she was passable which I guess is good enough. The supporting cast impressed me and unlike some I have no issue with Malkovich.

The ending made no sense. Okay, so the birds can give you a warning. So what? You can't fight these things so a warning wont do you any good. Whats to stop the roaming band of loonies from just breaking in to the blind school? And how in the hell do they FEED a hundred people like that?

Why did this movie get so much buzz and praise? I don't get it. A Quiet Place is a far, far superior movie.
    Its a fairly "ok" version of a good book IMO. Bullock was poorly cast for the role IMO but was ok.
    It was always going to suffer from comparisons to a quiet place as it came out after, despite the book being around well before (I think 2014).
    In fairness the book gives no explanation of the creatures either.
    They also made some changes from the books which added nothing, for example they found and used dogs in the book, the ending in the book is also darker from what I remember.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

When the reveal of the blind school came I kinda assumed the next step would be that to stay they would need to be blinded, and expected it to end with her realising the choice in front of her.
    Afer going through so much to survive, would she be willing to do that to herself and the kids

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

I love this sentence. I feel exactly the same way

• Registered Users Posts: 32,047 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    When the reveal of the blind school came I kinda assumed the next step would be that to stay they would need to be blinded, and expected it to end with her realising the choice in front of her.
    Afer going through so much to survive, would she be willing to do that to herself and the kids
    You would have probably preferred the book ending in that case.
    https://www.bustle.com/p/the-bird-box-book-ending-ending-is-so-much-darker-than-the-film-in-this-scary-way-15643844

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Kirby wrote: »

It never came.

Took the words right out of my mouth.. Watched this last night and i'm lost how the movie got so much buzz, the marketing machines in full throttle i guess :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

gmisk wrote: »

FFS
    "It's just been unveiled that Bird Box's book ending is even darker"
    The ending of a book published in 2015 had just been 'unveiled'
    But yeh, thanks for that, send like Netflix butchered the ending in that case. To me that was the natural conclusion.
    There is no sense to seeing people being safe in the blind school just because birds would make some noise. It was never set up that the bird were any sort of defense, just a warning (from my memory).
    And for the blind ppl, taking in ppl with sight is just exposing themselves to the risk.
    I would have found that ending, or even a hint at that far more satisfying, as it is they've tagged on a 'hopeful' ending to something which otherwise was kind of interesting and full of people merging to make tough choices to survive.

Kinda reminds me of Dexter the happy lumberjack

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,353 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,307 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Amazing the difference 5 years makes as I now think this movie was horseshit.

The bits that don't make sense* are what stay with you

*which is most of it

• Registered Users Posts: 30,973 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

On the plus side it’s a completely different writing/directing team so it should be a different take on the idea - on the minus side, this new team don’t have much pedigree…

• Registered Users Posts: 60,353 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Advertisement