Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bird box

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

Awful.

Anyone who hasn't watched it yet, spare yourself.

I have to agree. I know some think it was great. Not me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,330 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Very decent film and I am not a fan of Sandra Bullock at all. Lacking in the explanation part about what was actually happening though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Thought it was entertaining, good acting from SB and the cast in general were very good, in the same vein as the characters in 'lost' I'd give it a 7/10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

It was perfectly decent in parts with some great tension - the original scenes, shopping trip, the boat trip. The whole was not the sum of the parts for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Awful movie. People are right on saying it's similar to The Happening. It's not as bad as The Happening but that's not saying much. The Happening is possibly the worst movie I have ever seen.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,330 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

(and one masterpiece)

What film out of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,830 ✭✭✭appledrop

I thought it was a great thriller + perfect for Christmas time. Don't know why people are slating it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    What film out of interest?
    Roma. Sure, it's a foreign film in black & white.

That is what I thought. Watched it tonight. Quite different to Bird Box ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

It's also a pretty weak story with a whole bunch of clichés thrown in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

Just watched...I am traumatised! Best film I've seen in ages! Just catching my breath here and drying my tears!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,266 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I enjoyed it. Reminded me of The Quiet Place.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,254 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Shockingly bad. Turned it off after an hour and sorry I didn’t sooner.

Awful acting, bad script and really cheap feel to the whole thing.

Malkovich should be ashamed of himself.

2/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭TJ Mackie

I don't know about you, but I don't think I could make it out of my driveway blindfolded, let alone drive to my local shop with abandoned cars dotted everywhere. That scene was utterly ridiculous.

I was absolutely furious that they were able to drive right up to the door, so accurately in fact that Charlie was able to say "the door should be just to your left".

Thank God for pinpoint accurate GPS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭Sunflower 27

Really enjoyed it and the twist at the end :)

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭MillField

Enjoyable film. Bit of an anti climax I think but I liked the idea.

TJ Mackie wrote: »
    I don't know about you, but I don't think I could make it out of my driveway blindfolded, let alone drive to my local shop with abandoned cars dotted everywhere. That scene was utterly ridiculous.

I was absolutely furious that they were able to drive right up to the door, so accurately in fact that Charlie was able to say "the door should be just to your left".

They literally crashed into the building.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,254 ✭✭✭facehugger99

They literally crashed into the building.

The GPS driving sequence was so stupid I felt my IQ dropping while I watched it.

The gps and proximity system in a car could be used like that, in fact. Was a fairly clever idea.

Not that I look for anomalies in movies so much but there were far more than that. Like the electricity lasting for more than a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭Wailin

The gps and proximity system in a car could be used like that, in fact. Was a fairly clever idea.

Are you serious? Think about it...

Awful movie. 4/10

• Advertisement

TJ Mackie wrote: »

Oh come on, if they spent 15 mins navigating there you would say scene was too drawn out.

Sheesh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I don’t get the hate. I was thinking that Americans must have seriously good gps systems compared to the ones I’ve used but I’m willing to overlook the dodginess of that to get on with the story. All in all, It was quite forgettable but I can’t say I wasn’t entertained.

theteal wrote: »
    I don’t get the hate. I was thinking that Americans must have seriously good gps systems compared to the ones I’ve used but I’m willing to overlook the dodginess of that to get on with the story. All in all, It was quite forgettable but I can’t say I wasn’t entertained.

It's a film, it's subjective. Some will love, some will like, some will hate. Expecting it to be true to life in every aspect is ridiculous. It's not a true crime documentary.

I think most people are able to overlook a few anomalies in a futuristic film.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,277 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Not that I look for anomalies in movies so much but there were far more than that. Like the electricity lasting for more than a day.
    Of all the things you could find fault with in the film, that wouldn't be one for me, they could very easily have there own solar panels etc.

The GPS driving sequence was so stupid I felt my IQ dropping while I watched it.

Wasn't as bad as the cow being caught up in the tornado in Twister. :D

Mooooooooooooooooo.

gmisk wrote: »
    Of all the things you could find fault with in the film, that wouldn't be one for me, they could very easily have there own solar panels etc.

That’s a lot of excuses for something unexplained (along with where the food came from for 5 years).

The gps and proximity system was a fairly decent explanation of how they could get about. It was a suburban street, most people committed suicide in the event so they drove their cars deliberately off the street.

With a gps and a proximity sensor you could get a mile without crashing unless the street was totally blocked. Yes they probably got lucky with stopping close to the door, but it’s a movie.

It’s a good example of how it’s best not to explain much in movies though. Don’t explain anything and people will just not think about it, go too detailed and you need to be perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

On the GPS debate...

GPS is fairly accurate down to a couple of meters. So that'll keep you on the road. Throw in the proximity sensors and you can navigate around obstacles. It's not that crazy an idea. Feels like it's just being jumped on as an easy example of why we should hate this movie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

They really didn't get the balance right when running the 'then and now' stories concurrently. I thought the back story could have been fleshed out a bit more.

It's not awful by any means though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,904 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Watched it last night, wasn’t expecting much. 6 out of 10. Worth watching for Bullocks statuesque face.

• Advertisement

I thought it was an interesting spin on the zombie genre. I was impressed with the different ways which they used the gimmick. Mildly entertaining but should have been a half an hour shorter.

Advertisement