Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** Vehicle Hire queries **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭TheQuietBeatle

tatranska wrote: »
    Used them a few years ago. Absolutely the best ive dealt with.

Drove a lot of the country and was able to load my toll tag over the phone with them.

Yeah it's best to stay away from the bigger brands in the Algarve I noticed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Yeah it's best to stay away from the bigger brands in the Algarve I noticed.

Agreed. Found drive4fun through a recommendation here a few years ago. Super to determine with. No hassle pickup and dop off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭leex

Drive4Fun are great, we used without any issues late last year. Appears to be one of the cheapest also. They're based in Faro airport.

Used them in 2017 also. No issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭k123456

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭galwayllm

I`m looking to book for my Italian holiday. I`m unsure as what car i need to rent, i need a boot big enough for a Uppababy Vista and a large suitcase.

i don`t know if a Golf`s boot will be big enough or do i need to go to a big saloon, estate or SUV.

If anyone could help if they have experience with this it would be very much appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭bromley52

Can anyone recommend a car hire company at Barcelona Airport? Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭cgc5483

bromley52 wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a car hire company at Barcelona Airport? Cheers

Used Centauro there last year. Rate was very good and no hassles with the drop-back when they checked the car over. I returned a day early and was refunded for that as well.

Only issues are that it is located off-site from the airport. Only a 5 mins drive or less but bit of a walk to the collection point and then have to wait on a mini-bus. There was a bit of a wait as well in the office.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭bigar

I used Hertz twice and it went smooth both times. They are in the terminal so no bus to take.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,291 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Also would recommend hertz in Barcelona

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Greg81

I have used Sixt last year. No problems at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭manshay

I used Avis. No problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Mike3549

Centauro. Paid like €50 for 9 or 10 days through ryanairs website last sept.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,618 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Might be useful
    carhireexcess.ie

€2.99 insurance for the excess which they will charge you loads for at the desk.
    Used them a couple of times but never have had to cliam so no idea what they would be like then.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,291 ✭✭✭✭ted1

okidoki987 wrote: »
    Might be useful
    carhireexcess.ie

€2.99 insurance for the excess which they will charge you loads for at the desk.
    Used them a couple of times but never have had to cliam so no idea what they would be like then.
    I claimed they want all the original documentation. They also require quotes from the hire company for repairs.

Once they have this they are grand

Used auto reisen in Lanzarote last week thanks to this thread.
    Booked a saloon and got a 7 seater.
    Very smooth service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Hardtochoose

This policy with Alamo says I have Collision damage waver with zero excess (see screenshots). Does this mean I will not be on the hook for any potential damage caused ?

It says it doesn’t cover glass or wheels, if I got a separate excess policy from carhireexcess etc would that cover that part of it?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

For the past number of years I have holidayed with the family in the Canaries. I have always used CICAR (Canary Islands Car, Cabrera Medina). These came recommended and I have never had an issue with them - there is no attempt to sell excess insurance.

This year we are going to Majorca. If I take out excess insurance in Ireland and have 1500 available on my credit card, am I good to go?

Thanks,
    D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭elperello

BraveDonut wrote: »
    For the past number of years I have holidayed with the family in the Canaries. I have always used CICAR (Canary Islands Car, Cabrera Medina). These came recommended and I have never had an issue with them - there is no attempt to sell excess insurance.

This year we are going to Majorca. If I take out excess insurance in Ireland and have 1500 available on my credit card, am I good to go?

Thanks,
    D

It depends on the class of hire car you will be renting.
    Some can have an excess of more than €1500 though that amount should cover most smaller classes.
    Just check before you buy to be sure.

Looking at a Qashqai classed as Intermediate with RecordGo

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭elperello

BraveDonut wrote: »
    Looking at a Qashqai classed as Intermediate with RecordGo

Just go back to the website and check what the excess is.
    Good luck in Majorca.

• Advertisement

Thanks

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Used auto reisen in Lanzarote last week thanks to this thread.
    Booked a saloon and got a 7 seater.
    Very smooth service.

Used Auto Reisen in Gran Can recently too. Probably the best hire company I've ever used. Couldn't recommend them enough.

Quackster wrote: »
    Used Auto Reisen in Gran Can recently too. Probably the best hire company I've ever used. Couldn't recommend them enough.

I have to agree...as good as drive 4 fun in Faro.

Paid the €2 a day insurance for keys etc and that was it. Just dropped the keys back to the desk and off we went home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭vickers209

any recommendation for car hire in florida in june

went 7 years ago with avis no issues only when we returned with car discovered that they had given me a rental agreement with someone elses name and address on it!!

lucky i wasnt stoped by police or could have been in trouble

i should have checked it at time but just threw in car door and didnt look at it till i was returning car and person checking it in said name that was on agreement and i said no!

I`m looking to book for my Italian holiday. I`m unsure as what car i need to rent, i need a boot big enough for a Uppababy Vista and a large suitcase.

i don`t know if a Golf`s boot will be big enough or do i need to go to a big saloon, estate or SUV.

If anyone could help if they have experience with this it would be very much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭k123456

galwayllm wrote: »

You could google dimenson of the golf boot, will be on the VW website

However I would guess most hatchbacks would fit one large suitcase, and a buggy, Have you an option to fold down the rear seats if needed.

Bear in mind if you book a Golf, you are not gauranteed that you will get a Golf

No option to fold down the seat as I have to kids with seats.

I've google the size Of the boots on the cars but it's one thing having the size and another making out how they will fit in it.

I was just wonderin did anyone have this issue or hired a car with the same issue I have.

I may just go for a large car to be safe.

Thank you for the reply.

I'm flying into Luton next month for s few days. Whose best to hire from?
    Tia

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭radar0976

I am travelling to Milan Bergamo, Italy and want to rent a car with a debit card and not have them reserve a huge amount of money on my card while I have the car. This seems to be the case with any places who do accept debit cards. I'm happy to pay the extra "Super Insurance" which they offer if it means them not reserving money on my car. I've done this in Spain before with a local car hire company. Surely there is something similar in Italy.

Anyone have any good experiences in this regard in Milan Bergamo Airport ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

radar0976 wrote: »
    I am travelling to Milan Bergamo, Italy and want to rent a car with a debit card and not have them reserve a huge amount of money on my card while I have the car. This seems to be the case with any places who do accept debit cards. I'm happy to pay the extra "Super Insurance" which they offer if it means them not reserving money on my car. I've done this in Spain before with a local car hire company. Surely there is something similar in Italy.

Anyone have any good experiences in this regard in Milan Bergamo Airport ?

I'm looking for similar but in Girona in spain if anyone has any tips

Advertisement