Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Used BMW i3 experiences

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

unkel wrote: »
    I used to watch the RTE news in my '96 BMW on my way home from work :D

Same here, in my V8 X5.
    That was in 2006!

That was before iPhones and the like though!

PS. Found the details on the ABL flashing.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=104149055&postcount=171

Can you remember exactly what driver and cooltherm program is needed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,717 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Pretty sure I didn't need to install any USB driver. And I don't think the version of Coolterm makes any difference. It's just a simple terminal program. I'll look for my charger keys tomorrow!

Did you get the 2015 Irish i3 REx?

Pretty sure I didn't need to install any USB driver. And I don't think the version of Coolterm makes any difference. It's just a simple terminal program. I'll look for my charger keys tomorrow!

Did you get the 2015 Irish i3 REx?

No, ended up with a 162 94ah BEV.
    15k miles
    Fluid black
    20” wheels
    Adaptive LED headlight
    Park assist
    Pro nav
    Privacy glass
    Front and rear PDC with reverse camera
    Sunroof
    Leather (suite world interior pack)
    Heated seats
    Cruise control with brake function
    Harmon Kardon surround sound system
    Rapid charge (although that’s standard on the 94ah)
    Being collected from the UK on Thursday please god.

Better value than the Irish one :D

Well wear! I know you are going to love it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭ewj1978

kceire wrote: »
    No, ended up with a 162 94ah BEV.
    Being collected from the UK on Thursday please god.

Great spec.
    What was the final cost incl VRT?
    Did you get it from a BMW dealer over?

ewj1978 wrote: »
    Great spec.
    What was the final cost incl VRT?
    Did you get it from a BMW dealer over?

No VRT on the BEV model.
    Bought privately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭ewj1978

Ah! miss read it. Thought it had the REx. Well wear bud.

ewj1978 wrote: »
    Ah! miss read it. Thought it had the REx. Well wear bud.

Cheers.
    I was actively looking for a BEV model but nothing with the spec I wanted appeared until this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,816 ✭✭✭micks_address

i was watching some video reviews on the car last night and it does look great apart from the back doors.. are they as awkward as they look for anyone that regularly has backseat passengers?

Its essentially a 2 door really, with the back doors opening for wider access... not sure i could convince the missus it would work as a family car. As a second car absolutely. Thats probably where need to switch our current cars, i drive the octavia to work every day and she has a honda jazz for local drops, drive to work when raining as its walking distance etc.. we could have a ev as the 'smaller' car and id commute in it and then use a bigger ice car for longer journeys and doing the shopping at the weekend etc.. hmm food for thought.. also watched a video review of the kona and it really is a lot smaller than i thought..even though the range does seem like a game changer

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,396 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

i was watching some video reviews on the car last night and it does look great apart from the back doors.. are they as awkward as they look for anyone that regularly has backseat passengers?

Its essentially a 2 door really, with the back doors opening for wider access... not sure i could convince the missus it would work as a family car. As a second car absolutely. Thats probably where need to switch our current cars, i drive the octavia to work every day and she has a honda jazz for local drops, drive to work when raining as its walking distance etc.. we could have a ev as the 'smaller' car and id commute in it and then use a bigger ice car for longer journeys and doing the shopping at the weekend etc.. hmm food for thought.. also watched a video review of the kona and it really is a lot smaller than i thought..even though the range does seem like a game changer

I'd say i3, Ioniq and Leaf are all more spacious inside than the Kona.

Kona is wider but it feels far less spacious in general. Sit in both and you'll know.

Kona has a larger boot but it's not huge and it's smaller than the Petrol model.

The i3 doors don't bother me but I've 2 small Boys so have to get in and out of the car to let them in and out anyway.

If you have older Children then all you have to do is take on and off your belt and they can let themselves in and out, you have to open your door first but it's not a big deal.

It's a lot of fun to drive so to me it's a minor deal altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭uphillonly

We've had ours nearly 2 years now, two kids (12 & 10 yrs) in the back all the time.

The kids love the car and no complaints about the door system. We've done a few long journeys & they are very happy passengers. They prefer it to the old 5 series diesel we still have. As it's pure EV build rather than an ICE - EV conversion, the interior space is excellent for its size. Many adults have been pleasantly surprised how much roomier it feels for a car of it's external dimensions.

No one's going to deny there isn't some occasional inconvenience from the door system but it has benefits too. When open, the rear access in/out is easier and appreciated by more elderly passengers. In this regard the i3 very much isn't a 2 door car which is awkward to get in/out of the rear.

IMO - the rear door opening is pretty cool & relatively unique on modern cars. It impresses most people we show it to adding to the different, futuristic feel of the car and a chance to show off the carbon fibre body. Kid's friends also think the doors are cool.

uphillonly wrote: »
    Kid's friends also think the doors are cool.

My kids friends thought my Leaf was cool too, simply because it was electric and sustainability is being talked about in school etc. He's only 7, so he has some time to cop on :)

Cant wait to show him the i3 when it arrives!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 TheOracle77

I can enable video in motion if you need it ;)

Is there a particular format that the car likes?
    I can also enable it to accept all formats but I haven’t tried it yet.

AVI or MP4. I think. Well wear with your new car. Smashing spec.

Just back from my first rapid charge. Combo. It was about 60% charged when plugging but was indicating about a 2 hour charge time until fully charged? Is this normal. Dropped a few minutes initially but that was it. Now, it was charging a lot faster than that. Is rapid charging really only suitable up to 80% battery charge?

The i3 will play various video formats, stick to high quality mp4 ( x264 )

The screen is excellent quality and videos look great on it.

I must take a pic in the dark.

• Advertisement

When you enable AM you will see it has the 49 meter Shortwave band which I thought was pretty cool.

Sadly due to the carbon fibre body there is no metal chassis for grounding so the electronics destroy AM reception and you can see why they disabled it. Am in the Leaf was pretty decent considering all AM stations are 100 - 100's of Kms away.

BMW got quite a bit of flack over having no AM particularly in the U.S and Canada where they are not turning off Am stations like in Europe, here they are trying to get us to adopt DAB which I can't even receive, DAB is being hailed as the new Modern Radio which makes me laugh because DAB was invented in about 1985 ! lol.

I can get tonnes of stations on the 49 Meter SW band alone when the car is stopped because then the electronics are not interfering with reception.

vbOj9pS.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭MM3

My kids friends thought my Leaf was cool too, simply because it was electric and sustainability is being talked about in school etc. He's only 7, so he has some time to cop on :)

Cant wait to show him the i3 when it arrives!

My youngest is now boring the pants off anyone who will listen on the virtues EV’s!

BTW I think I saw your car on autotrader last week , definitely caught my eye, looks like a cracker.

I3 video . Obviously it will look better in the dark. It looks a lot better than in the pics.

1Z2tVci.jpg?1

0WpkUec.jpg?1

TcObXHi.jpg?1

[IMG][/img]e8czIiK.jpg?1

MM3 wrote: »
    My youngest is now boring the pants off anyone who will listen on the virtues EV’s!

BTW I think I saw your car on autotrader last week , definitely caught my eye, looks like a cracker.

Black, parked on a bridge for the main image?

AVI or MP4. I think. Well wear with your new car. Smashing spec.

Just back from my first rapid charge. Combo. It was about 60% charged when plugging but was indicating about a 2 hour charge time until fully charged? Is this normal. Dropped a few minutes initially but that was it. Now, it was charging a lot faster than that. Is rapid charging really only suitable up to 80% battery charge?

Yes that’s normal. After 80% give or take, the speed of charge drops significantly so much that you would be as quick on one of the type 2 chargers. It was that way in my old leaf, nearly sure the i3 is the same as it may get to 90% in 2 hours at home, but take another 2 hours for the final 10%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭Patser

Ok I have to ask how you do that with the videos. I haven't even thought to try?

Is it simply connect phone via USB and go to media? Can it be blue toothed? Or do I need to start to learn code and get a connector? Don't think I should be tempted with video while in motion, but just to sit and watch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Just be careful with the videos. It will sometimes start to autoplay anything that might be on your phone. "Anything" so be careful what you keep on the phone ðŸ˜

So a friend told me anyway 😉

It was that way in my old leaf, nearly sure the i3 is the same as it may get to 90% in 2 hours at home, but take another 2 hours for the final 10%.

Shocking stuff. Whoever designed a charging system like that should be shot. I always thought it was bad enough in Ioniq in that it was slowing down and only charging at 23kW by the time it automatically disconnected at 94% charged. It seems all other EVs are far worse than that.

Charging heavily per minute and per kWh will fix this promptly though :D

Shocking stuff. Whoever designed a charging system like that should be shot. I always thought it was bad enough in Ioniq in that it was slowing down and only charging at 23kW by the time it automatically disconnected at 94% charged. It seems all other EVs are far worse than that.

Charging heavily per minute and per kWh will fix this promptly though :D

Post 54

"and it was still pulling 47 Kw when I disconnected" that was at 85% charge.

I3 slows down at 90% and again at 95%.

90% is about 22 Kw.

The 94 Ah i3 charges a lot faster than the 64 Ah i3.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057812141&page=4

"Originally Posted by kceire View Post
    It was that way in my old leaf, nearly sure the i3 is the same as it may get to 90% in 2 hours at home, but take another 2 hours for the final 10%."

I'm sure he was talking about charging at home anyway not at fast charger .

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭MM3

Black, parked on a bridge for the main image?

Yep that’s the one

Picked up my i3 this evening.
    Very happy.
    Impressed and surprised with how it handles and accelerates. Also, how efficient compared to my old L24.

Will get a thread going tomorrow when I get a chance to get some pics.

For the last 3 weeks since I sold the L24, I’ve been driving an E60 525d SE and also an F10 525d sport with 313bhp but I’m glad to be back in an EV for some strange reason.

Well wear!

I'm interested myself in an i3 too as a second car. But it would have to be one of the cheapest and it would have to be the fastest, so an early 60Ah BEV. But I don't know all that much about them, almost nothing about optional extras. Have even the earliest cars the option of active cruise control? And lane assist? What are options you folks find desirable?

Well wear!

I'm interested myself in an i3 too as a second car. But it would have to be one of the cheapest and it would have to be the fastest, so an early 60Ah BEV. But I don't know all that much about them, almost nothing about optional extras. Have even the earliest cars the option of active cruise control? And lane assist? What are options you folks find desirable?

I haven’t seen lane departure on many of them tbh
    I have radar controlled cruise control with brake function but have no idea what that does. Ill test over the coming weeks.

The options i think are needed are leather, led, pro nav, HK.
    Nice add ons then are upgraded wheels, privacy glass, sun roof.

radar controlled cruise = active cruise control

A really good feature to have if you drive on busy motorways at peak times. Driving from Dublin to Naas this afternoon with the traffic brutal because of the road works and it is really helpful. I can only imagine the godsend this is for people doing a daily M50 commute.

I put a cheeky low bid on a white i3 on eBay, was outbid, bidding went to GBP8,900 but that was below the reserve. I like going over the UK to bring cars in, so if I would have won the auction I would happily have brought in the car to be used by myself or to sell on

Picked up my i3 this evening.
    Very happy.
    Impressed and surprised with how it handles and accelerates. Also, how efficient compared to my old L24.

Will get a thread going tomorrow when I get a chance to get some pics.

For the last 3 weeks since I sold the L24, I’ve been driving an E60 525d SE and also an F10 525d sport with 313bhp but I’m glad to be back in an EV for some strange reason.

Well wear, welcome to the i3 club. :D

It's a lot of fun, take it to back roads, it absolutely loves them !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

They seem to come with a fairly eclectic set of kit. I have leather seats, pro nav screen, privacy glass, HK speakers. No lane assist or brake assisted cruise control. No reversing camera either.

Well wear!

All i3's have the option of Active cruise with lane assist in slow traffic. Active cruise works at all speeds. Sadly mine doesn't have it.

Be careful of the specs that say Cruise control with brake function, this is not active cruise and simply means the car will brake to keep the set speed if going down a hill for instance.

The Media Professional and keyless entry are good options, this gives the full size screen and not the ugly small one. Keyless is handy.

Leather is nice. Led lights look great compared to halogen.

You might be better off waiting for a 33 kwh version the extra range and faster DC charging would be better to have than want, only so much fun you can have driving in Dublin so the extra range would be handy.

Well wear, welcome to the i3 club. :D

It's a lot of fun, take it to back roads, it absolutely loves them !

It's a pity yours is slowed down pulling that dino juice cart :pac:

I signed up to go cars just for the ease of taking an i3 for a test drive whenever I felt like it, but I discovered all their i3 are REx. Too slow for me. I'm trying to make a business case for myself here, will an EV replace my Porsche. Going ahead, even with a very fast off the line i3 BEV it would probably be a mistake I will come to regret anyway. In the looks department alone I would go down from a 9/10 to a 2/10 :(

It's a pity yours is slowed down pulling that dino juice cart :pac:

It's a good compromise until the charging situation greatly improves. So I'll take a bit of a performance hit for now. I had high hopes for the network in 2015.

I'm getting the 42 Kwh i3 BEV next thursday while mine is in for service, it will be interesting to see the range difference.

You could just wait for 2nd hand model 3 if the i3 rex is too "slow" for you, still a lot faster than your ioniq !

Was on the list for Tesla Model 3 but then we got a dog. So a sedan with a boot (not a hatchback) like the Model 3 won't do.

Main family car Ioniq is fine, 100% for our needs, we never need to travel beyond the range of the car. I like the idea of the Model S, but they are just poor value for money second hand. Hopefully their values will drop like a brick within the next year and then I might reconsider

No, this is for my second car. Currently a Porsche (and again an 80s Mercedes) doing ultra low mileage. I like the idea of having two EVs but it makes very little sense to me, financially and otherwise...

Was on the list for Tesla Model 3 but then we got a dog. So a sedan with a boot (not a hatchback) like the Model 3 won't do.

Main family car Ioniq is fine, 100% for our needs, we never need to travel beyond the range of the car. I like the idea of the Model S, but they are just poor value for money second hand. Hopefully their values will drop like a brick within the next year and then I might reconsider

No, this is for my second car. Currently a Porsche (and again an 80s Mercedes) doing ultra low mileage. I like the idea of having two EVs but it makes very little sense to me, financially and otherwise...

Then ditch the Ioniq and get the 42 Kwh i3 ! :D

Then ditch the Ioniq and get the 42 Kwh i3 ! :D

Family of 5 ;)

BMW i3 only has 4 seats...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭Patser

Family of 5 ;)

Pick your 2 favourites, leave the other one at home. You'd have a set excuse with an i3

mordeith wrote: »
    They seem to come with a fairly eclectic set of kit. I have leather seats, pro nav screen, privacy glass, HK speakers. No lane assist or brake assisted cruise control. No reversing camera either.

I wouldn’t say they have a good spec as standard, yours has good spec like mine but most people didn’t add the option packages that really make the car.

Leather seats are part of the interior world suite package. That’s too interior spec. A 2k Sterling option.
    Pro nav is an option on its own. A 960 Sterling option.
    Privacy glass, HK and led are part of the sports pack. A 1720 Sterling option.

The reverse camera is part of the park assist package and comes with front PDC. A 799 Sterling option.

I have the original sales receipt for my car here from the original UK owner.
    Sun roof was only 780, that’s a great price imo.

• Advertisement

Family of 5 ;)

Ditch one of the Family ! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Genghis

Hi lads, avid reader of forum and thread. You guys are great.

So been saving and hoping to buy soon. Was ready to buy Leaf but kept saving and now interested in i3. Compared to Leaf, I find trying to know spec is what esp difficult with i3.

Here's one I think looks good, but confused on what spec it would have?

https://www.motors.co.uk/car-52443640/?i=0&m=sl

Eg it has leather from photos. It has wider screen, but is this 'Pro Nav' when description is 'BMW Business Advanced Nav'. It has Cruise Control with Brake Function (from above thanks @MadLad I understand that) ... Professional radio I take to mean basic / Not HK.

Besides the spec, this is just over the top of my budget ... Would love to know if you think this is good value.

BTW 2 car family, keeping ICE, 2 Kids (am okay with rear doors), main use will be 15k X 2 daily commute, would be nice if I could make a round trip 150k trip with say 30 mins charging. Will have home charging, also have an always empty charger at my train station

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Orebro

Folks, what would be ballpark VRT on a 2016/2017 94ah Rex?

Genghis wrote: »

So been saving and hoping to buy soon. Was ready to buy Leaf but kept saving and now interested in i3. Compared to Leaf, I find trying to know spec is what esp difficult with i3.

Eg it has leather from photos. It has wider screen, but is this 'Pro Nav' when description is 'BMW Business Advanced Nav'. It has Cruise Control with Brake Function (from above thanks @MadLad I understand that) ... Professional radio I take to mean basic / Not HK.

Besides the spec, this is just over the top of my budget ... Would love to know if you think this is good value.

BTW 2 car family, keeping ICE, 2 Kids (am okay with rear doors), main use will be 15k X 2 daily commute, would be nice if I could make a round trip 150k trip with say 30 mins charging. Will have home charging, also have an always empty charger at my train station

This is what my 2017 i3 Rex has according to the VIN decoder.

L812A 
    National version England / Ireland
    P5DUA 
    Parking Assistant Package
    P7KZA 
    BMW i interior design ''Suite''
    P7RSA 
    Package Comfort
    S230A 
    Extra package, EU-specific
    S249A 
    Multifunction f steering wheel
    S2G6A 
    BMW LA wheel, Turbine Styling 429
    S2PAA 
    Wheel bolt retainer
    S2VBA 
    Tire pressure display
    S2VCA 
    Tire repair kit
    S302A 
    Alarm system
    S322A 
    Comfort access
    S3AGA 
    Reversing camera
    S420A 
    Sun protection glazing
    S423A 
    Floor mats, velours
    S428A 
    Warning triangle and first aid kit
    S430A 
    Interior/outside mirror with auto dip
    S442A 
    Cup holder
    S473A 
    Armrest front
    S493A 
    Storage compartment package
    S494A 
    Seat heating driver/passenger
    S4EVA 
    Fine wood trim eucalyptus matte
    S4U6A 
    Quick charg.altern.current multi-phase
    S4U7A 
    Rapid charging, direct current
    S508A 
    Park Distance Control (PDC)
    S521A 
    Rain sensor
    S534A 
    Automatic air conditioning
    S544A 
    Individual equipment
    S548A 
    Kilometer-calibrated speedometer
    S570A 
    Reinforced power supply
    S5A2A 
    LED headlight
    S5DAA 
    Passenger airbag deactivation
    S5DPA 
    Park Assistent
    S609A 
    Navigation system Professional
    S654A 
    Radio Bavaria C III
    S674A 
    Hi-Fi System Harman Kardon
    S6ACA 
    Intelligent emergency SOS call
    S6AEA 
    Teleservices
    S6AKA 
    Connected Drive Services
    S6AMA 
    Real-Time Traffic Information
    S6ANA 
    Concierge Services
    S6APA 
    Remote Services
    S6FVA 
    Online Entertainment
    S6NSA 
    Convenience phone, expanded Smartphone
    S7AQA 
    Battery Certificate
    S845A 
    Acoustic belt warning
    S853A 
    Language version English
    S880A 
    On-board vehicle literature English
    S8KZA 
    Oil service interval 24 months
    S8R9A 
    Refrigerant R1234yf
    S8S2A 
    Coding alarm signal
    S8S3A 
    Automatic locking when driving off
    S8TGA 
    Thiefproofing device

Orebro wrote: »
    Folks, what would be ballpark VRT on a 2016/2017 94ah Rex?

Off the top of my head it's around 2000-3K for PHEV but go to revenue site and it will calculate it for you.

The sat nav looks like mine which is the business professional which is all you need.

Doesn't have the HK stereo.

Has halogen Headlights and led day time lights.

It's good enough value considering the cheapest 2015 is about 21 K on carzone and they are few and far between with decent spec. Brexit will only push 2nd hand car values higher. Good for me when I eventually trade.

150 Km won't be a problem, the 151 should be good for 100-110 Kms and maybe 120-130 in Summer, the battery will probably have deteriorated a bit.

A 30 min charge should easily see you get another 80-90 Kms, when you are on longer trips try use the AC points in town as this will greatly cut down the need to wait at fast chargers.

• Advertisement

That’s an early car.
    It’s the base model but has the upgraded interior world suite which includes leather, the wood dash and ambient lighting.
    It also has pro media/nav (larger screen), and hand writing on the touchpad.

It has the base wheels
    No privacy
    No front PDC so that means no park assist or reverse camera.
    Standard halogen lights.

Off the top of my head it's around 2000-3K for PHEV but go to revenue site and it will calculate it for you.

1148 for a late 2016 94ah rex

1148 for a late 2016 94ah rex

Even better.

Only a few weeks to go to Brexit then Irish car prices will rise a lot I'd say ?

The sat nav looks like mine which is the business professional which is all you need.

Doesn't have the HK stereo.

Has halogen Headlights and led day time lights.

It's good enough value considering the cheapest 2015 is about 21 K on carzone and they are few and far between with decent spec. Brexit will only push 2nd hand car values higher. Good for me when I eventually trade.

150 Km won't be a problem, the 151 should be good for 100-110 Kms and maybe 120-130 in Summer, the battery will probably have deteriorated a bit.

A 30 min charge should easily see you get another 80-90 Kms, when you are on longer trips try use the AC points in town as this will greatly cut down the need to wait at fast chargers.

Thanks Mad_Lad, great info. On your previous post, if I got the VIN from the dealer where is the decoder to get the same info? Any question you would ask the dealer, I've put some basic questions to them and they seem like a good outfit, if a little bit unsure of EVs.

That’s an early car.
    It’s the base model but has the upgraded interior world suite which includes leather, the wood dash and ambient lighting.
    It also has pro media/nav (larger screen), and hand writing on the touchpad.

It has the base wheels
    No privacy
    No front PDC so that means no park assist or reverse camera.
    Standard halogen lights.

Thanks kceire, now that's the sort of conclusion I'd never reach by myself!

Can live without privacy, it looks from one of the pics to actually had some reverse assist (pic of i3, with reversing zones shown), interesting it may not have that, again though I could live without.

Anything you'd recommend I ask the dealer? How best to assess battery health for the i3? I don't yet have a picture of dash but is there a 'bar' indicator as in Leaf to show battery health? Anything else critical to check?

Thanks both, ye are fantastic.

• Advertisement
Advertisement