Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Zappi charge points

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64,891 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I just sent them an email. Will update here with any reply I get.

Are there any other smart chargers out there that can work with a solar PV system?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

The manual is up here lads. Can be handy trying to figure out exactly how it works in different configurations

https://myenergi.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/zappi-manual-v1.2.pdf

Got reply from Myenergi, basically they can not do the current model Zappi with a different length tethered cable other than 5m or 8m. The new Zappi (untethered) will ship from sometime next month and you can pre-order it.

At GBP695 (EUR795) it is too rich for me. I'll leave it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

unkel wrote: »
    Got reply from Myenergi, basically they can not do the current model Zappi with a different length tethered cable other than 5m or 8m. The new Zappi (untethered) will ship from sometime next month and you can pre-order it.

€795 outlay.
    Ill get the 600 grant once I get back into an EV.

running cost 195

Get the Zappi fitted.
    Maybe have to pay my mate a night out fee, lets say 100 for sign off.
    running cost 295

then sell my immaculate condition ABL unit
    maybe 200 ish?

total outlay €95 ish.....

worth considering now

You can still get the old model. Your total outlay would be zero for that :)

Anyone know is there any difference at all technically between old and new model?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭randombar

Page 29 of manual:
    zappi has an input which can be used to sense the availability of economy tariff electricity, this can be used to automatically
    boost the charge when in ECO or ECO+ charging modes.
    The eSENSE input is electrically isolated and effectively draws no current so the cable size is not important. An AC voltage
    between 100V and 260V across the L and N terminals of the eSENSE input cause the economy tariff symbol to be shown
    on the main screen. The eSENSE Earth terminal is not required to be connected.
    See eSense Input on page 19 for details of how to configure the eSENSE input.

Does this work in Ireland? How can they detect you're on nightsaver by the current coming in? Sounds strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

Anyone know is there any difference at all technically between old and new model?

Not sure. They didn't make it very clear in their promo video for the new one either.

Part of me thinks they made the gen 2 to up the price.

I just went with a gen 1 in the end. Nice bit cheaper and it seems to do the same thing.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,159 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I'm guessing this is a stupid question as you'd probably just do it if it was possible/not extremely dangerous but can you not plug a type 2 to type 2 cable into the end of the tethered cable to extend it?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I assume an issue will be if I ever changed again to an EV with a different type connector? (Gen 1 Zappi being tethered)
    For example, if I had this unit with my Leaf, is the same connector used on the i3?

Type 2 - Type 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

I bought a Type 2 Gen 1 Zappi with a Type 2 to Type 1 adapter for about €140 delivered. yet to test it out but will let ye know when I do

• Advertisement

GaryCocs wrote: »
    Page 29 of manual:

Does this work in Ireland? How can they detect you're on nightsaver by the current coming in? Sounds strange.

So support were back:
    This will work anywhere that has two separate meters. One for normal daytime useage and one for the cheaper tariff. It requires a wired connection from the cheaper tariff meter to the zappi and then whenever that meter goes live (say between midnight and 7am) there will be a voltage across the esense terminals so zappi knows it can charge.

Most properties now have one dual tariff meter so it's usually easier just to set the boost timer in zappi to correspond with those times which reaches the same result.

Anyone know about event log details, what they mean?

00:00 Evse ready
    00:00 Charging
    04:10 Evse ready
    04:11 Pilot pb !
    04:11 Evse ready
    04:12 Evse ready
    07:00 Evse ready
    07:44 Stand-by

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Get your DIY on. :D

https://www.ioniqforum.com/forum/234-hyundai-ioniq-electric-ev/32480-home-made-zappi-trickle-charger.html

Very cool solution and very cheap too :)

Bit messy though having to use the granny cable and putting out the light sensor every time you want to charge. I'd be happier with a hands-off fully automatic procedure.

Maybe we should setup a dedicated thread for ways to charge your EV with PV anyway? I believe you can do it with a Garo charger too and even with the Open EVSE project?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

Nedved85 wrote: »
    I bought a Type 2 Gen 1 Zappi with a Type 2 to Type 1 adapter for about €140 delivered. yet to test it out but will let ye know when I do

Thats what i did,no issues :)

Need to extend the CT clamp wiring from PV output using cat 6. Do I just join the wires with the usual wire joiner or what's the story?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

GaryCocs wrote: »
    Need to extend the CT clamp wiring from PV output using cat 6. Do I just join the wires with the usual wire joiner or what's the story?

If it was me I’d solder it with a linesman splice, then use heat shrink wrap, but TBH it’s overkill. If they are not going to be put under any mechanics stress or exposed to moisture then you’re probably ok to twist them together and wrap in insulating tape.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭MM3

Hi Folks

What do you think is a reasonable charge to install the zappi? I’ve a fairly standard semi with fuse box in hall backing on to gable wall with meter, so probably the most straightforward install going. I’ve got two quotes so far , 380 and 450 plus VAT - seems excessive to me. BTW I’m in Dublin

Crazy. It's the same work as installing an outside socket. Cable, ducting, RCBO and materials would be well under €100 and it would take someone who does them regularly 1-1.5 hours

Have you no friendly electrician in the family / friends / neighbours?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,837 ✭✭✭daheff

MM3 wrote: »
    Hi Folks

What do you think is a reasonable charge to install the zappi? I’ve a fairly standard semi with fuse box in hall backing on to gable wall with meter, so probably the most straightforward install going. I’ve got two quotes so far , 380 and 450 plus VAT - seems excessive to me. BTW I’m in Dublin

I’m in a similar position, and I’m getting same(if not worse) quotes

I guess there is a cost for testing & certifying afterwards too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭denismc

I have posted it here previously and on the electrical forum, but there seems to be a shortage of electricians in Ireland at the moment, I contacted 14 and only managed to get a single quote!:eek:
    There seems to be a bit of a mini-building boom going on at the moment and I guess this is where all the electricians are at, I guess all the little jobs aren't worth their while right now.
    I ended up getting Nigel Daly in the end after a load of faffing about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭cgc5483

daheff wrote: »
    I’m in a similar position, and I’m getting same(if not worse) quotes

I guess there is a cost for testing & certifying afterwards too.

I was looking recently and cheapest quote I got for install only was 315 (incl VAT). I ended up going for a supply/install for €950. Very happy with it and would recommend. Send me a pm if you want the details.

For a Zappi?

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭cgc5483

For a Zappi?

Not sure who that was directed at but in my case was a Zappi.

EUR950 incl VAT is probably one of the better quotes I have seen for a Zappi. Less the EUR600 subsidy too, so only net EUR350 cost to you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭dhaumi

I contacted a few electricians. It is clear that they are busy with jobs and this one is not an attractive one to them. I managed to get 2 quotes and ended up paying 400€ incl VAT to install the Zappi and Harvi. This includes the trunking inside and outside the house and labor which I believe took roughly 4 hours. I live in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,566 ✭✭✭SteM

We got our zappi installed at the end of January. I was looking at the charging log for February today and it's reading 12289.15kWh

We wouldn't do high mileage.

Does that reading sound right?

SteM wrote: »
    We got our zappi installed at the end of January. I was looking at the charging log for February today and it's reading 12289.15kWh

We wouldn't do high mileage.

Does that reading sound right?

That looks a bit odd. It shows no power taken from the grid. It's possible that the grid sensor is is incorrectly wired. Also the number of days is wayyyyy off.

That looks a bit odd. It shows no power taken from the grid. It's possible that the grid sensor is is incorrectly wired.

It must be because we only pull from the grid. No solar panels yet.

SteM wrote: »
    It must be because we only pull from the grid. No solar panels yet.

But the charger is saying that nothing came from the grid. Something is bass ackward.

• Advertisement

Even the amount 12289.15kWh seems very high for less than a month. As you say, the amount of days is way off too.

Advertisement