Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Western Rail Corridor / Rail Trail Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

we'll be in debt for years, there won't be much capital expenditure going on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭serfboard

Our dispersed population in the West Or Ireland, shown by the fact that the main virus cases are in the densely populated East of the country, demonstrates even more effectively that a transport solution designed for mass transit, i.e. trains, is not needed here. And how great would it be to have a Greenway available for people to cycle and walk on now, during the exercise break from quarantine.

A tiny amount of whatever stimulus package is provided in the aftermath would do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

serfboard wrote: »
    Our dispersed population in the West Or Ireland, shown by the fact that the main virus cases are in the densely populated East of the country, demonstrates even more effectively that a transport solution designed for mass transit, i.e. trains, is not needed here. And how great would it be to have a Greenway available for people to cycle and walk on now, during the exercise break from quarantine.

A tiny amount of whatever stimulus package is provided in the aftermath would do it.

the trains need to be packed before there is risk of infection ....to be sure that won't happen on WRC!

westtip wrote: »
    the trains need to be packed before there is risk of infection ....to be sure that won't happen on WRC!

that's not true. An infected person sneezing on a handrail could leave infection for others to pick up for days after (for instance). It only takes one to infect dozens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,513 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

galwaytt wrote: »
    Whilst I agree a rail and velo solution are dead in the water, once we're out of CV-19 they'll be looking for 'schemes' left/right/centre to put people on & money into, to reduce the Live Register.

A Greenway would soak up a few bodies for a while.

CV-19 isn't the end of everything: it's a (big) Pause on everything.

Unless they come up with a magic money tree I very much doubt that. There's far more pressing public works than a greenway when we emerge from this.

• Advertisement

There's far more pressing public works than a greenway when we emerge from this.
    If that's the case, then the WRC has completely vanished over the horizon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,140 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

If that's the case, then the WRC has completely vanished over the horizon.

i would expect either option has done such now given our current situation.
    the game has changed big time now.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words.

i would expect either option has done such now given our current situation.
    the game has changed big time now.

absolutely the case. People are only just waking up to the effect on the Economy. All the extra Social Welfare benefits have yet to be paid for, all the businesses in trouble and likely not to reopen and the effect of that on the Banks, all the people who can't now afford their rent or mortgage , the reduction in income for the State by way of taxes and PRSI. It's frightening when you try to imagine what state we'll be in when the crisis is over, and the ongoing social effects of the tragedy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,209 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Isambard wrote: »
    absolutely the case. People are only just waking up to the effect on the Economy. All the extra Social Welfare benefits have yet to be paid for, all the businesses in trouble and likely not to reopen and the effect of that on the Banks, all the people who can't now afford their rent or mortgage , the reduction in income for the State by way of taxes and PRSI. It's frightening when you try to imagine what state we'll be in when the crisis is over, and the ongoing social effects of the tragedy.

WRC, Greenway, Metro. You name it and it's all on the line. The money borrowed now just adds to what we owe and still has to be paid back. Considering that Irish politics has never believed in ploughing money into any kind of rail/PT infrastructure outside roads etc. during recession, the Greenway probably has more chance over the short to medium term. Anything else is off the table, but I'm sure there will a few quid for more studies over the next 10 years. Business as usual while doing nothing.

Grandeeod wrote: »
    WRC, Greenway, Metro. You name it and it's all on the line. The money borrowed now just adds to what we owe and still has to be paid back. Considering that Irish politics has never believed in ploughing money into any kind of rail/PT infrastructure outside roads etc. during recession, the Greenway probably has more chance over the short to medium term. Anything else is off the table, but I'm sure there will a few quid for more studies over the next 10 years. Business as usual while doing nothing.

yes the Greenway could be progressed as a kind of FAS scheme perhaps.

Add the M20 to your list

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

I'm going to take the opposite view here. Even the Taoiseach said today that austerity won't be an effective weapon to deal with the fallout here.

I can see Metrolink, DART Expansion, the M20, N17 dual carriageway all going ahead in the next few years with the tailwind of ECB funding at zero or negative interest rates. A relaxation of fiscal stability rules to push on with big capital investment projects which will stimulate the economy, and decarbonisation where possible.

If FG or FF decide to let the country have a second helping of the post 2008 economic policies then they may as well drop the keys of the Ministerial fleet over to Mary Lou's house in the morning.

22 billion hole in the economy they say now..... that'll have to be funded before anything else. over half a million on social welfare.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

22 billion hole in the economy they say now..... that'll have to be funded before anything else. over half a million on social welfare.
    It's a different story when every country in the Western world is in the same situation though.

We ****ed up many times more than our peers in 2008, we actually stand a chance of being one of the lesser affected countries this time.

I still don't see the ECB regarding Athenry-Tuam as a stimulus project though.,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

The ECB may decide that pumping money into legacy systems with a time limited cut off like diesel fuelled road transport is a non runner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,476 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Remind me what trains run on again?

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Online petitions.

donvito99 wrote: »
    Online petitions.

:D:D:D:D:D:D

Online petitions.

Diesel for railways is screwed as well. Funny enough, over eighty years ago battery technology was used effectively on Irish railways but that would spoil a smart Alec answer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 54 ✭✭Griselda

its a game changer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,140 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

railway tracks.

Online petitions.

nope wrong see above for the answer.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words.

• Advertisement

Talking of on line petitions....:D

Press release From: The Western Rail Trail campaign April 24th 2020 for immediate release: words 415(main body text)

25,000 sign Greenway petition for West of Ireland.
    • West of Ireland petitioners sign up in their thousands to support greenway on closed railway from Sligo to Athenry.
    • Western Rail Trail: ‘must be included in programme for Government.’
    • Calls for half million Euro rail review to be seen by public.

A spokesman for the Western Rail Trail Campaign – an alliance of community-based campaign groups in Galway, Mayo and Sligo campaigning to preserve the alignment of the closed rail line from Athenry to Collooney by utilising the route for tourism and leisure as a greenway until such time as a railway may be possible – has welcomed the fact that an online petition asking to use the closed railway route from Athenry to Sligo as a greenway has now hit 25,000 signatures. ‘This is a real landmark, 25,000 people is a massive display of public opinion,’ said a spokesperson of the Western Rail Trail campaign.

‘There is overwhelming support for the greenway in Sligo, Mayo and Galway, with active community support groups in each county along the route,’ the spokesperson added. ‘The majority of petitioners are based in these three counties so this is a locally driven, West of Ireland campaign.’

The spokesman added ‘we are asking all members of the negotiating teams for the new Government to take note of the level of public support that exists for this project, and to include it in the programme for Government. In the post Covid-19 economic conditions there will be a need for civic projects which are economically feasible, which will have immediate social and economic benefits, and which have a short pay-back time. The Western Rail Trail meets all these criteria.’

The spokesman also called for the release of the independent report and assessment of the closed railway by EY Consulting which was delivered to the Department of Transport in October 2019 at a cost of half a million Euro. He said that the Department of Transport received over 200 Freedom of Information requests asking for the report, and about 20 TDs submitted Parliamentary Questions asking for the report in Q4 of 2019. Transport Minister Shane Ross who lost his seat in the recent election has steadfastly refused to release the report. He added that ‘it is astonishing how someone who is no longer a TD can decide that the public cannot be allowed to see a report which cost half a million Euro in Taxpayer funding. The numbers signing this petition show that there is public disquiet about the suppression of this report.’

The spokesperson concluded by saying ‘25,000 people supporting the greenway shows the huge level of support there is for the project, it would represent a ray of hope and good news in these difficult times if a decision was made in its favour.’

Contacts:
    Find us on Facebook: sligomayogreenwaycampaign

Link to petition for editors:

https://www.change.org/p/western-rail-trail-campaign-create-a-walking-and-cycling-greenway-on-the-closed-railway-from-sligo-to-athenry

Free to use images here: https://www.sligogreenway.com/media--images.html (please acknowledge Sligo Greenway Co-op as owners)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

I have seen a good few locals informally use the railway as a greenway during the lock down. I guess some are using it as a way for exercise within the 2k radius.

I have seen a good few locals informally use the railway as a greenway during the lock down. I guess some are using it as a way for exercise within the 2k radius.
    I've seen the same with the old West Cork railway on the outskirts of Cork even though its severely overgrown.

Makes you wonder how useful all these old alignments would be instead of growth areas for briars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

eastwest wrote: »
    I see that this weeks Connacht Tribune has the leaks from the rail report.
    What took them so long? That info has been doing the rounds for two months at least.
    "Review sees no future for rail" it says.
    So, tell us something new.

If the editorial policy of a newspaper has a bia, and many do, than this isn't telling us everything. I'd like to see the report itself...

Greaney wrote: »
    I'd like to see the report itself...
    So would we all. The question is, why haven't we? After all, we paid for it.

If the editorial policy of a newspaper has a bia, and many do, than this isn't telling us everything. I'd like to see the report itself...

Yup, it must be that they're biased on not that they've seen extracts of a report which quite possibly concludes that reopening a railway of this kind won't improve the lot of those who live in the region.... what we already know.

Put an FOI in asking for it.....you will get the same stock answer over 200 folk did, even better if you are a TD put a PQ in, quite a few have and also got refused, or a government minister, one did and also got a PFO, or ask for it as a registered body like a council or the NWRA, its been done and more PFO's or a negotiating party in the Government talks and more PFOs. The DTTAS is under lockdown! The report will not be released the unelected Lord Ross has given a diktat...though shalt not let the public see what their money is being spent on.

An appeal to an original FOI got refused it is now sitting with the ombudsman, that process could take another 6 months. It I ludicrous.

The only ones it seems not making a fuss about the release of this report is West on Track, that in itself must say something. Sean Canney TD and a previous minister insisted on this report being commissioned and written, but he has not asked for it to be in the public domain. Has he seen it! errr we have to presume he has and no demand for it to be published, make of that what you will.

The beat on the street is that it does not endorse the WRC but you know how these things can be fudged beyond belief. The saga goes on, tiresome isn't it?

If a report said rebuilding the railway would make the West worse off, there would still be a campaign to rebuild it because, ehh, you might have to pick up a pint of milk in Oranmore but you live in Claremorris and you break out in hives at the sight of a faster, less expensive and more frequent coach service.

Sean Canney TD and a previous minister insisted on this report being commissioned and written, but he has not asked for it to be in the public domain.
    Which leads to only one, inescapable, conclusion.

• Advertisement

Which leads to only one, inescapable, conclusion.

A hardcore of posters on Boards don’t want more train services, because they deem rail to be unusually wasteful That seems to be the obvious one alright.

A hardcore of posters on Boards don’t want more train services, because they deem rail to be unusually wasteful That seems to be the obvious one alright.

I wouldn't interpret opposition to the WRC as opposition to rail.

Not at all. I, for one, am all for double tracking Galway-Dublin, removal of level junctions, faster trains, etc etc. I've been a occasional user of the Galway-Dublin line for many years and will do for many more

A single track line, with crap speeds, to sparsely populated areas, costing a fortune to build, costing even more to keep running, providing a low frequency service, with slower travel times than can be achieved by a bus/car...... yeah sorry, never going to get much support for that beyond a few anoraks

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭ShaneC1600

This element of the review was written into the terms of reference as most know. The fact that it is taking so long is frustrating but until it is completed the report will not be available, again as most of the people constantly requesting it know. Why would SC request it to be published when he knows that element of the review is not completed? And as for the "leaks", it's easy see where they started, but they look more like wishful thinking.

I wouldn't interpret opposition to the WRC as opposition to rail.

That’s a charitable interpretation.

Honestly I do wonder sometimes, "hardcore" "don't want more trains" you have a vivid imagination LG perhaps supporters of WRC could be described as living in fantasy land. I don't recall seeing any anti-rail arguments from supporters of an alternate use of the line, what I have seen is pragmatic realism, Hardly hard core anti rail sentiments. Each to their own; I find your view tres bizarre and somewhat lacking in any level of rational thinking.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Sligo eye

Honestly I do wonder sometimes, "hardcore" "don't want more trains" you have a vivid imagination LG perhaps supporters of WRC could be described as living in fantasy land. I don't recall seeing any anti-rail arguments from supporters of an alternate use of the line, what I have seen is pragmatic realism, Hardly hard core anti rail sentiments. Each to their own; I find your view tres bizarre and somewhat lacking in any level of rational thinking.

There’s a great search facility on boards. Search for the user “westtip” on this board and you’ll see plenty of anti rail guff in the results.

https://youtu.be/oYOZ3IzRaf4

I think as DaCor has said, the opposition to the proposal in this thread comes from people who don't want to see a miserable railway service spread even thinner, and also people who recognise the inherent advantages and disadvantages of rail in the 21st century and on that basis question the virtues of this project.

I think as DaCor has said, the opposition to the proposal in this thread comes from people who don't want to see a miserable railway service spread even thinner, and also people who recognise the inherent advantages and disadvantages of rail in the 21st century and on that basis question the virtues of this project.

The problem is that if a minimalist attitude to rail is taken, it reinforces rural and suburban sprawl. Galway city and county is going to slide even further into the miasma of little America anti-planning. Of course, if sprawl suits landowners as a means of quickly cashing in...

The problem is that if a minimalist attitude to rail is taken, it reinforces rural and suburban sprawl. Galway city and county is going to slide even further into the miasma of little America anti-planning. Of course, if sprawl suits landowners as a means of quickly cashing in...

I don't see how rail wouldn't also induce sprawl and reinforce the idea that towns should be commuter satellites to Galway.

• Advertisement

I find your press releases hilarious. “A spokesman”. Do you get a podium out in your bedroom and film it on a selfie stick?

Really is that your view of life? whatever the spokesperson or even spokesman says it seems to work, and if you have written any press releases (and aside from this project I have written thousands in my life) it is an accepted from of presentation of views to the media, who by the way frequently call me for interviews on this subject after bashing our a press release for further quotes and interviews and soundbites for news items; Anyway the protocols of writing press releases aside, what I do find is that most of our press releases get coverage, sometimes minimal sometimes a lot and the media seems to accept them as credible, but hey ho your opinions are always amusing if nothing else, oh and real names have to be taken out of press releases put up on boards to apply the rules of this forum........as the spokesperson was saying.....hey ho on we go....

Sligo eye wrote: »
    There’s a great search facility on boards. Search for the user “westtip” on this board and you’ll see plenty of anti rail guff in the results.

"Guff" - foolish talk or ideas is one of the definitions, indeed Sligo Eye it is a word I would associate with a great deal of what you write yourself, but we are all entitled to an opinion, that is the beauty of this rather trivial debate. Still it's nice to see you back here making your contribution.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭ShaneC1600

Many of the railway supporters also don't want a miserable railway service spread even thinner. Many would like to see proper infrastructure develope and that line opend up the northwest to Galway city, Limerick and Dublin.
    What are the disadvantages of rail in the 21st century? Rail in general or just rail in Ireland or even just rail in the west of ireland?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Sligo eye wrote: »

Read the charter before posting again.

I find your press releases hilarious. “A spokesman”. Do you get a podium out in your bedroom and film it on a selfie stick?

This is off-topic and it's a strange thing to focus on -- it's a bog standard term used in press releases by companies, groups etc.

ShaneC1600 wrote: »
    Many of the railway supporters also don't want a miserable railway service spread even thinner. Many would like to see proper infrastructure develope and that line opend up the northwest to Galway city, Limerick and Dublin.
    What are the disadvantages of rail in the 21st century? Rail in general or just rail in Ireland or even just rail in the west of ireland?

I should have used limitations rather than disadvantages.

Railways are no longer the only game in town, when once they were just about the only way to get around over long distances. Today, they are useful at moving large quantities of people or goods, typically over long distances, and should continually be built for this purpose as it is more efficient in the long run.

I think we can all agree that the area the WRC proposes to serve is fantastically low density. As such, a motorway - from Cork to Sligo, the Atlantic Corridor as it was billed I believe back in the Transport 21 days - would be a much better prospect for economic development and society than a railway.

I'll be unpopular here and reject the positions of both of sides on this.

The sure roads are better people really are not learning from mistakes made here as well as the US or UK. And the tide might be changing on the heyday of large-scale road building: ie "New roads face Heathrow-style court action threat" https://www.bbc.com/news/business-51665682 etc.

WRC supporters who are suggesting what at best seems like an unrealistic proposals, which are too much driven from the perspective of villages, people wanting too many stops, and a route going via County Donegal rather than via Enniskillen and Omagh or further south going via villages rather than via Castlebar and Ballina. There's little right of way left north of Kiltimagh and less so north of Charlestown, and so if you're starting from scratch you might as well do Ballina to Sligo. Even including those places would be a stretch and need a Government with real vision for turning mid/small sized towns into much larger places (much like the Dutch did decades ago).

If you think having more vision on rail than currently exists is just dreaming, you have a problem if you're also still suggesting a Cork-Sligo motorway. If you're not a climate change denier you as as bad as them. Economic growth based on more and more roads is not compatible with the emission reductions which are needed. We don't have time to switch all cars to electric cars, electric cars aren't that green and large-scale road building is really not green.

monument wrote: »
    I'll be unpopular here and reject the positions of both of sides on this.

The sure roads are better people really are not learning from mistakes made here as well as the US or UK. And the tide might be changing on the heyday of large-scale road building: ie "New roads face Heathrow-style court action threat" https://www.bbc.com/news/business-51665682 etc.

We can still build high quality roads and not make the mistakes that have been made here, as well as in the UK, US and all over the world.
    If you think having more vision on rail than currently exists is just dreaming, you have a problem if you're also still suggesting a Cork-Sligo motorway. If you're not a climate change denier you as as bad as them. Economic growth based on more and more roads is not compatible with the emission reductions which are needed. We don't have time to switch all cars to electric cars, electric cars aren't that green and large-scale road building is really not green.

I'm not suggesting more and more roads, and in doing that it's absurd to say I am as bad as a climate change denier.

Is there some other way we are going to move people and goods efficently into, out of and around the West of Ireland that does not involve the use of roads?

We can still build high quality roads and not make the mistakes that have been made here, as well as in the UK, US and all over the world.

I'm not suggesting more and more roads, and in doing that it's absurd to say I am as bad as a climate change denier.

Is there some other way we are going to move people and goods efficently into, out of and around the West of Ireland that does not involve the use of roads?

You are suggesting builing roads is better than rail, you might not be suggesting more and more roads but the next person will be. The problem is that road building cannot get away from this:

blackhole.png

I'm quite aware of this phenomenon Monument. That's why I would support widespread road pricing to discourage the long distance commute we see in Dublin.

But you still haven't addressed the need for good quality roads enabling safe and quick transport over long distances? What is the alternative to decent roads?

Looking into the future, the "new normal" that will be coming our way.
    We could see less need for transport systems of any kind in the near future.

We have really reached a point in life where business are being forced to look again at what is important and which jobs "must" be done in the head office as there has been an enforced working from home whenever possible regime in place, many of those jobs may remain permanently "off site", thus reducing transport needs indefinitely.

• Advertisement
Advertisement