Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

X-Men: Dark Phoenix

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Will make one hell of an alternate version if they decide to include it in the home release. Wonder how advanced (re. FX etc) the
    finale in space
    was before the reshoot

• Registered Users Posts: 60,363 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

James McAvoy is saying the ending was reshot completely and is now not the ending that director Simon Kinberg wanted as the original ending was too similar to a previous superhero film.

Speculation guesswork I see is that original ending was too close to Captain Marvel's ending.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Hold on... so Cyclops lives? or maybe General Zod is in the film? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,770 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

James McAvoy is saying the ending was reshot completely and is now not the ending that director Simon Kinberg wanted as the original ending was too similar to a previous superhero film.

Speculation guesswork I see is that original ending was too close to Captain Marvel's ending.
    they both a had fight to a no doubt song?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Might have to make the effort to catch this in the cinema, sounds like a train wreck.

• Advertisement

it cant be as bad as Apocalypse can it? reviews out tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 32,198 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

it cant be as bad as Apocalypse can it? reviews out tonight
    Reviews are pretty abysmal....as in it's on 15% on rotten tomatoes

• Registered Users Posts: 7,983 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Won't be going anywhere near the cinema to see this so.

Shame

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭El Duda

Am I correct in thinking that a summary of the films devlopment would be along the lines of...

Production complete

Test screening

terrible response

Re shoots

Another test screening

terrible response

Re-shoot the ending

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

They reshot the ending because apparently it was a carbon copy of the finale from Captain Marvel;

• Advertisement

El Duda wrote: »
    Am I correct in thinking that a summary of the films devlopment would be along the lines of...

Production complete

Test screening

terrible response

Re shoots

Another test screening

terrible response

Re-shoot the ending

Think....ah sure feck it...throw it out in cinemas, people will go to see it anyway, they went to that load of rubbish Apocalypse!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭kerplun k

shame, this series deserved a better send off. :(

I'm one of few who actually enjoys The Last Stand a lot. It is awful but it has a camp, tacky vibe that I just find extremely entertaining. Vinny Jones is amazing in it.

It upsets me that they've essentially remade this schlock classic for the final film. For me, the first iteration of the Phoenix will always be close to my heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

gmisk wrote: »
    Reviews are pretty abysmal....as in it's on 15% on rotten tomatoes

Currently has a blank score on RT, are they doing more deleting the scores?

pixelburp wrote: »
    They reshot the ending because apparently it was a carbon copy of the finale from Captain Marvel;

as in the ending of captain marvel was
    hero has a fight in a space ship,then easily defeats a former mentor?

nix wrote: »
    blank audience score as its not out yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

nix wrote: »

It's just critic scores of 17% on RT and 43 on Metacritic. Public scoring not up yet.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Saw it tonight and it was...pretty poor tbh. Worse than Apocalypse, which I found dull in its plot but with entertaining side elements (I liked the stuff with the younger characters going off to the shopping mall etc, and enjoyed the Evan Peters scene despite being quite similar to his scene in DoFP). Whereas this...the very start is a bit lumpen, but the first action sequence is pretty decent. Then it moves on to some not-very-well-written "character" moments attempting at building up dramatic tension (feeling very much in a similar plot to Last Stand, I must admit). And then...it changes to have an even less interesting story than that, with an antagonist even more underwhelming and thinly-sketched than Apocalypse.

I mean, a couple of the fight scenes are interesting (
    the one about 2/3 through where a small group of X-Men fight to stop Magneto & co from trying to kill Jean
    ) but frankly most of the last 30 mins was just boring, because the antagonist was just a generic unstoppable hostile force. The wrap-up is unsatisfactory and the ending is just "let's just never talk about any of the awkwardness that would've ensued from the preceding events, eh?".

Honestly, I'd say skip it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,669 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

So went and seen this . Its not the worst X-Men movie but its not the best either.

There is some really cool parts to it like
    The shuttle scene and the new jet

I think however the the film is lacking something a spark. It was strange not having
    Patrick Stewart in it as Charles Xavier

I was think this might be better than MIB International but I think MIB International might actually be the better film.

I think I would give this film a 6.5 out of 10.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Just back! That was great! Saw it in 3D IMAX. Kinda shocked at how much I liked it and trying to think it it might have been the disappointment of X-Men: Apocalypse in comparison. There was some fine 3D
    (Space scenes must just be the 3D friendliest things ever!)
    and the Big Screen and Sound System really helped!

The story was well paced.
    Sophie Turner
    really stuck the landing. I was not expecting
    her to perform that well
    . Although thinking about the trailers, maybe I should have.

They didn't blather about the place stuck in any undeserved backstory. They moved along well. There is plenty of mutant powers and action scenes and they are all done well.

I didn't expect the
    baddies
    . From the trailer, I thought
    Jessica Chastains character was gonna be a part of Jean Greys psyche

Memorable moments:
    • The teams fighting as teams! YES! Much needed!
    • Magnetos powers and fight scenes
    • WHAT THE FREAKIN WOW!
      Nightcrawler
      like I've never scene him! His action scenes on the train up there with his X2 raid on the White House.

Glad they
    didn't kill Cyclops.. this might also have me boosting this film from memories of X3.

Hans Zimmers soundtrack was really good.
    There's no post credits scene (although, there's a nod to Stan Lee in the credits).

Parental Warning:
    This be a hard 12A. There's a scene where a character gets impaled on spikes of wood.
    More detail on the Parental Warning:
    It's Jennifer Lawrence character Mystique. The show the spikes coming up out of her belly. It didn't even feel like a meaningful scene. I had heard a bit from before this film that Lawrence was just looking for some way out of the X-Men universe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Beric Dondarrion

Saw it last night......

Not the worst X-Men movie but definitely not the best.....it was just "ok".

That's about it really. The only thing I could think about after the credits rolled was now that the Fox/Disney deal is done what will happen with the X-Men and the MCU down the line? I don't think I'll miss any of these characters in their current guises (which is a shame as James McEvoy, Michael Fassbender and Nicholas Hoult are all fairly decent actors - in fact Beast is the one that comes out as perhaps the most well rounded from this flick).

Anyway time will tell I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Saw it last night......

Not the worst X-Men movie but definitely not the best.....it was just "ok".

That's about it really. The only thing I could think about after the credits rolled was now that the Fox/Disney deal is done what will happen with the X-Men and the MCU down the line? I don't think I'll miss any of these characters in their current guises (which is a shame as James McEvoy, Michael Fassbender and Nicholas Hoult are all fairly decent actors - in fact Beast is the one that comes out as perhaps the most well rounded from this flick).

Anyway time will tell I suppose.

The best thing they could do now is give this a nice big long break.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

The best thing they could do is bring Fassbender, McAvoy and Hoult into the MCU 5 years from now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

The best thing they can do is leave this franchise and move on. Let Marvel take the X-Men on and work them into their universe. This film series doesn't need to keep limping forward when it can get a new lease of life.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Ideally they'll stop trying to do the Dark Phoenix story as well, we've had two attempts that were a bit pish and frankly it's maybe time we admit that as stories go it's not particularly good, no matter how fondly folks remember it from the comics (or the cartoon version)...

I'd prefer if the X Men took a decade long hiatus before returning to screens, with a completely new cast. The MCU should just do their own thing for another 20 film arc, bring the X men in after that.

I'd rather see new characters in the MCU that have never been seen before like Shang Chi etc...

Just saw this evening, it was a bit of a disjointed mess, it did have it's moments though some excellent scenes and really excellent special effects.
    To be honest some of the actors feel like they are going through the motions, fassbender and Lawrence especially.
    I enjoyed it more than apocalypse but that isn't saying much. Probably about the right time to end the series, the whole thing just feels a tad dated 5/10

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Ouch!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,163 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I don't think Marvel will sit on the X Men for 10 years - what I hope will happen is that they start drip feeding specific characters into the fold as soon as it's possible.

They don't have to start off with a full roster anyway that's for certain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,163 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Well I went to see it there after work with a grand total of about 5 of us in the place.

To be honest I thought it was enjoyable enough but the villain absolutely kills this film and not in a good way. Every time Chastain was on the screen I just zoned out.

That's not a go at Chastain just the absolutely abysmal use of her.

I would call it a serviceable end for the actors who have embodied their roles for the last couple of years interspersed with some wonderful set pieces.

Advertisement