Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This week's EV bargain that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64,945 ✭✭✭✭unkel

If you would charge a lithium battery to 100% and discharge down to 0% it would have a very short life. Also when you let the battery get hot or cold while charging, battery life would be greatly reduced

That's why all EVs have a clever battery management system (BMS) that checks temps, cools or heats the battery and let it charge only to a certain percentage (usually 90% or so) and not below a certain percentage (about 5% or so)

If you keep a lithium battery at 20C at all times and only ever have it between 25% and 75%, it will last 100 years and still have plenty of capacity by then (60-70%) :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,501 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

slave1 wrote: »
    yes, both warranty's transfer

No one knows yet, that model is only a few years old so we have no real world experience of battery replacement.
    Mrhamks for the tepky

• Registered Users Posts: 21,506 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

So in effect the car's software retains a consistent buffer throughout battery life (on the Ioniq), good to know
    All cars. Leaf etc is the same.

• Moderators Posts: 12,367 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Soarer wrote: »
    And it's not white!

Think i prefer white to the grey/silver. At least in those pics it doesn't look very appealing.

IMO, white with the black wrapped grill is quit nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Round Cable

Think i prefer white to the grey/silver. At least in those pics it doesn't look very appealing.

IMO, white with the black wrapped grill is quit nice.

At the weekend, I saw a white Ioniq, with a white wrapped "grill", and I have to admit, it looked well.

• Advertisement

ELM327 wrote: »
    Possibly the cheapest Irish Ioniq EV for sale so far
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/car/21540390

5 years (3 left) of free servicing too it seems.

Half tempted to take a look, though the grey/silver doesn't appeal to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,423 ✭✭✭eagerv

Haven't seen many Ioniqs on the road, but I think white looks the best. And the boss agrees.:)

As most in the country appear to be white I can understand why people in an area with a lot of Ioniqs would prefer something different.

Think the black wrapped grill looks well, but didn't like the white wrapped in Waterford.

eagerv wrote: »
    Haven't seen many Ioniqs on the road, but I think white looks the best. And the boss agrees.:)

As most in the country appear to be white I can understand why people in an area with a lot of Ioniqs would prefer something different.

Think the black wrapped grill looks well, but didn't like the white wrapped in Waterford.

I've seen this one online for a while now, and the total white never really appealed to me. Even wrapped the entire back of the car:
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2017-premium-5dr-automatic-full-electric-sat-nav/20985798

^^ NOT A BARGAIN

I've seen this one online for a while now, and the total white never really appealed to me. Even wrapped the entire back of the car:
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2017-premium-5dr-automatic-full-electric-sat-nav/20985798

^^ NOT A BARGAIN

Dropped in price to 23k. I can't be the only one who just naturally assumes that dealership is dodgy? It's been for sale for ages too.

On a side note, it seems like Ioniqs are dropping a bit in price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭baldshin

Dropped in price to 23k. I can't be the only one who just naturally assumes that dealership is dodgy? It's been for sale for ages too.

On a side note, it seems like Ioniqs are dropping a bit in price.

Reviews for that dealership suggest that a large amount of the cars they sell are write offs from the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭DM1983

My Tekna/SVE 24kwh 152 Leaf is for sale. Low enough mileage. 92% SOH in Leafspy and only 10 quick charges in its life. I think its priced well against others available. Can be viewed in Greystones.

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/nissan/leaf/used-2015-152-nissan-leaf-e-tekna-5dr-wicklow-fpa-201904066694503

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭DM1983

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

gally74 wrote: »

There's another one with frontal damage, same colour. I wonder what they'll end up going for. You could make repairs to one with bits from the other and still have the battery, drivetrain, wheels and interior spare. :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

No propilot on that model, worth noting
    Otherwise that's a pretty good deal as a second car/runabout for someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭ewj1978

40k miles in a year.. I'd love to see the SOh on the battery.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

40k miles should be no issue, why would you think it would be?

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

40k miles should be no issue, why would you think it would be?

I would imagine the problem would be the number of rapid charges in that time, and how much overheating it has suffered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

I would imagine the problem would be the number of rapid charges in that time, and how much overheating it has suffered.

The whole point of #rapidgate was that it didn't overheat, so there shouldn't be an issue.

I dont think it's correct to say it didnt overheat.
    Rapidgate mitigated against it but it still allowed operation above 50 degrees C which for a Li-ion battery is too hot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

I dont think it's correct to say it didnt overheat.
    Rapidgate mitigated against it but it still allowed operation above 50 degrees C which for a Li-ion battery is too hot.

Have any data on that? Genuine question.

For which? Operation over 50 degrees is confirmed by many youtubers using leafspy including Bjorn

Regarding the impact of operating above 50 degrees (45 degrees is actually the threshold), there are many papers produced on this. A quick google gives@
    https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/discharging_at_high_and_low_temperatures

• Registered Users Posts: 64,945 ✭✭✭✭unkel

The Leaf can only charge at 1C anyway :p

(Ioniq almost 3C / Tesla Model 3 over 3C)

1C with no cooling is arguably worse than 3C with good management and active cooling but thats another story
    Charging a leaf 40 at 47kW is about 1.1C-1.2C

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

50 degrees every so often is not the end of the world apart from the 1st generation LMO (pre-lizard) chemistry on L24. I have myself seen 50 degrees temps at 35 degree ambient so it does happen. And it also happens with the IONIQ battery. Tesla Model S apparently use LMO chemistly at least in some of the packs or parts of the pack for power density purposes and that's why they have to keep the pack temperature in check religiously in order not to heat damage the cells.

As Nissan/Hyundai designed the charging system to allow temperature of excess of 50 degrees it must be safe for the batteries occasionally. The real question is have the makers using non-chilled cooling systems or passive cooling also optimised the chemistries to be more temperature resilient?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

It says Categpory D Salvage, for parts?

• Advertisement

I don't see anything about for parts?

Advertisement