Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Minimum wage - ten cents increase

2»

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 41 Laughing with Me

mikhail wrote: »
    I could believe it. There are a hell of a lot more college graduates these days. The value of a degree has been eroded to hell.
    That fact was from a book called 'Head, Hand, Heart' by David Goodhart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,642 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I can smell something, can't quite tell what it is.

Fresh bread?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,284 ✭✭✭✭rob316

It's only 10c yes, a number that is ineffectual and pointless tbh. There is a valid argument though that the minimum wage itself is dangerous. You set the minimum wage and in tandem set the entry/exit point point to various benefits, it sets a baseline price for goods and services, HAP contributions towards housing are based on it so there's a baseline price for accommodation.

As the baseline price for these items is tethered to min wage, we can never really from the point it was instated reduce the cost of living. We must always move the minimum wage up instead. However this will never be agreed to or in some cases can not be afforded by business to rise quicker than price inflation. So it ends up hurting the people it was intended to help and worse still it feeds endless inflation in the economy.

Good for neo-liberals, bad for pretty much everyone else.

I like the minimum wage, its important their is a baseline for a wage for any employee. However it shouldn't be seen as "whats the absolute minimum I can pay someone do X job". We all know the jobs that are by default minimum wage. If you can pay someone an extra €1 above min wage or even 50c, its worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭Homelander

A lot of places with minimum wage offer increases based on years service as well as opportunities to make that basic job a career.

Become a supervisor, get slightly better pay, potentially up-skill on the side in some way (either related to said field or not), climb your way into bigger retail management, etc.

Really there is scope in almost all jobs to climb at some point, either by practical experience or paper experience to get you in the door.

It's not really fair to expect all minimum wage jobs to be automatically "living wage". The knock-on effect anyway would be severe and suddenly all other careers would get a bump and thus the price of living would rise again.

Some places pay it because it helps greatly in staff retention and increases efficiently. It wouldn't be feasible if every minimum wage job suddenly transformed into living wage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Fresh bread?

Nope, BS actually. The poster claimed to work 12/14 hours in a 12 hour window 13 at most all at the tender age of 12.I would consider that child abuse charges should be retrospectively be levelled against his parents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

Nope, BS actually. The poster claimed to work 12/14 hours in a 12 hour window 13 at most all at the tender age of 12.I would consider that child abuse charges should be retrospectively be levelled against his parents.

FFS, a lot of that time was travel, to the bakery, load the van then travel to the delivery destination area, them travel home after. Hardly child abuse. Don't be so dramatic! You've never been to the west, have you? You can drive for 2 hours and still be in the same county!

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Game Face MCGee

Access to capital?

not as difficult as you think. yes traditional go to the bank is difficult but there are plenty of enterprise grants, entrepreneurial government assistance programs, investors, business angels, crowd funding the list is endless

vision, drive, persistence - the capital will follow

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Game Face MCGee

i always felt the min wage was cyclical. you raise the min wage by 10 cent. the shop keeper raises his prices by 10 cent. said employee goes buys the products at the new higher price and low an behold he's no better off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,642 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

This could be beleivable if he's over 50 now!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Gentlemanne

i always felt the min wage was cyclical. you raise the min wage by 10 cent. the shop keeper raises his prices by 10 cent. said employee goes buys the products at the new higher price and low an behold he's no better off

That's a really reductive view of the complex economics involved. For one thing, not everyone's on minimum wage, so there wouldn't be a one-to-one increase from the seller.

Inflation wil always continue to occur so minimum wage earners should be entitled to these increases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I am sorry how dear I not believe his story. Hopefully his uncle who is still delivering bread aged alot slower than Gooey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,519 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

It costs jobs. I started working at 12 delivering bread every Saturday with my uncle. He's still delivering bread but has no help. The minimum wage cost this job. There are no part time summer jobs for teens and the teens are of the attitude that if a job doesn't pay minimum wage is not worth doing

Is your uncle Auld Mr Brennan?

Not far off the mark!

Of course it was one day a week and summer hols until the age of about 18. Something like this just isn't available for today's teens

I am sorry how dear I not believe his story. Hopefully his uncle who is still delivering bread aged alot slower than Gooey.

He's close to retirement age, has a short run closer to home, no longer works long days not that it matters

Are you going to comment on the 10c increase minimum wage or are you just here to troll?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

He's close to retirement age, has a short run closer to home, no longer works long days not that it matters

Are you going to comment on the 10c increase minimum wage or are you just here to troll?

We are on After Hours. Trolling is more fun

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 312 ✭✭Vittu

All I know is that the more you earn the more work, responsibility, stress come with it.

If your boss drives a nice car it's by earning it or it's on finance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,597 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Also, as we have seen during COVID, supermarket workers and food processors etc are more important to society than Fintan or Sorcha who tweets all day for a PR company on 90k a year.

Wages have never been set based on value to society, but on the rarity of skills and the capacity of an employer to pay.

That's why essential workers like supermarket staff have low wages, while non-essential entertainers like pro footballers get sky high wages.

Also, as we have seen during COVID, supermarket workers and food processors etc are more important to society

Yes, and that's why we built a society where they can be easily replaced so that the show is kept on the road.

Would you like the food sector of the economy to be union-riddled and overpaid like others? How would we guarantee shops would stay open in that case?

Advertisement