Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dancing With the Stars - Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,813 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I get the impression that Strictly is going ahead. Not really surprised RTÉ canceled this tough.
    It would involve too much money.
    I think RTE will have lots of misery programs on in future regarding Covid-19!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I'm actually a huge dance fan having been "forced":rolleyes: to do a lot of it and numerous styles as a child. Watching DWTSIreland was a guilty pleasure - even though I wasn't a fan of certain aspects of it.

Despite liking the show however, I do think it was on its last legs. It's no Strictly, that's for sure. Whilst the quality of the pros was by and large comparable, the "stars" were scraping the bottom of a very shallow barrel. I can't imagine how much worse that could get if they continued with it for another season. I think this is likely to be more of a permanent cancellation than a hiatus, and I'd hope they'd have enough sense to leave it at that.

Julian however should (health-permitting) be given his own show, perhaps a Graham Norton-type chat show (and yes I know he wouldn't get the A-listers but I mean stylistically). He was the show's star.

As much as I mocked it I really enjoyed it. It was just something so light and fluffy to watch on a dreary Sunday evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Certainly the Irish judges were at least on a par with the UK judges.
    Loraine was easily on a part with Shirley in terms of achievement and ability through their careers - both world champions
    Brian and Motsi were both pros for years
    Craig and Julian - both involved in stage although Craig would have a much better pedigree.
    Bruno jumped the shark years ago.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,674 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I hope the year's break will give them a chance to find some new people I've heard of to compete.

Strictly's pros are doing 6 weeks of quarantine together to prep and film the pro-dances apparently. So they won't be live. Probably to shorten the filming time. Can't see how an audience is in the mix this year though, and we know Bruno is out.

Genealogy Forum Mod

pinkypinky wrote: »
    I hope the year's break will give them a chance to find some new people I've heard of to compete.

If it does return you'll get a rugby player, a GAA player, Fair City members, some social media one and maybe some presenter.
    Similar to strictly a few sports people, people from the soaps, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

It’s a shame but maybe there’s room for Kai and Pasquele on Strictly this year? Since they lost Kevin and AJ? I think Oti’s husband Marius will join Strictly this year as an extra pro with no celeb partner like Johannes and Neil used to. I hope Gorka is back with a partner this year too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

STRICTLY Come Dancing have signed up handsome dancer Kai Widdrington to appear on this year’s series.

Kai, 24, recently moved to the UK from Ireland, where he appears on Dancing With The Stars, after being recruited by the BBC.

Says it is only a group dance role but it is the start I guess

New season will be back in January 2022.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Xander10

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Láidir agus Dílis

Okay, I think I've the year correct now. I should have just settled on January.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Láidir agus Dílis

We're all thinking the same. The 'covid' years of 2020 and 2021 feel like one year. Time really has flown I find.

Now that I've got year correct.

These people have being spotted at reheraals.

Neil Delamare comedia.

Ellen Keane an Irish Paralympic gold medal.

Aengus Mac Grianna former news reader.

Missy Keating Ronans daughter.

* Don't shot the messenger!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Ryan McShane ISN'T returning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Yes and it sounds like he has been treated badly.

Glad to see he has good things to say about Julian Benson. Notably, he didn't mention the other judges or the presenters.

I hope he gets snapped up by Strictly in the UK (if that's what he wants) because from what I remember he has strong partnering skills and a strong personality.

The RTÈ show is a Mickey Mouse production in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭Heroditas

He's too old to be a pro on Strictly nowadays. Strictly only focuses on eye candy pros who might not even be that technically proficient. That's what makes Kai's introduction to the series this year very surprising. He's actually bloody good!

The budget for the RTE show is a tiny fraction of what the BBC one is. They do a very good job, all things considering.

In fact, I'd go so far as to say that the pros on DWTS have been of a far superior quality than the ones on Strictly recently.

Grainne Seoige!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

I wouldn’t feel any sympathy for that McShane fella. He’s the make version of Karen, him and his bird Thalia will do anything for a bit of publicity. He’s jumping on the mental health bandwagon now, no doubt we’ll see him on the next series of celebrity he’ll week.

Latest confirmated

Erica Cody.

Nicolas Roche.

Missy Keating.

Billy McGuinness and Nina Carberry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭Radio5

Still waiting for the retired GAA star to appear on the lineup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

I've a feeling that there's gonna be a lot of "Who da f** is dat?" at the start of this series. The only one of the above I wouldn't have to google is Nicolas Roche. Just as well that the "Star" aspect of the show isn't really all that important.

Cathy Kelly!

• Advertisement

Final two.

Jordon Conroy and Matthew MacNabb.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

"stars"

Shameful for RTE as a national broadcaster to lose most of the sporting rights and then pay these nobodies 3k a week...

Thought yer wan Erica Coady looked familar. She's the one who played the race card last year when she had a public spat with Versatile.

From RTE:

Star status: Erica Cody is one of the brightest new stars to breakthrough into the Irish music industry in recent years. In 2020, Erica was one of the most prominent voices in Ireland amid the Black Lives Matter protests. She was named one of Irish Country Magazine's Women to Watch in 2020. Erica was part of the Irish collective of female singers and musicians, Irish Women in Harmony, who recorded a version of Dreams by The Cranberries. Proceeds went to a charity which deals with domestic abuse which rose significantly during the Covid-19 lockdown.

What are RTE smoking? One of the brightest new stars to breakthrough? One might expect the next sentence to list a song or two that did well, got played on the radio or did well in the charts....but no, it's "she was a voice during the Black Lives Matter protests".

She was named one of Irish Country Magazine's Women to Watch in 2020

Big publication! A whole 10k twitter followers. 😂We're in 2022 and I don't think 99.9% of Irish people would have ever heard of her. Some claim to fame...being "one to watch" 2 years ago in some nobodies blog.

Her biggest claim to fame is being part of a choir that released one cover song. lol

RTE are embarrassing. Another tick the box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Agree 100%, box ticking exercise. Anyone who supports blm shouldn't be let near the media.

• Advertisement

I remember when that happened. She videoed the whole thing and posted it on Instagram. She was in her car completely freaking out because done other car drive into the carpark and was hanging around. The versatile fella even had his bird in the car with him, so whatever they were doing she was also a part of it, so I doubt they were doing much other than a bit of messing. And Cody had a big written spiel about it all of how she was being victimised and bullied. Now I don’t know really what went on between these 2 but she made an awful hullabaloo about this carpark incident, and she got a lot of attention and sympathy from the woke warmy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,151 ✭✭✭Danye

I highly doubt they get all get paid 3k a week?

Matthew MacNabb has Covid.

As does Emily Barker which means Aengus Mac Grianna is isolating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,424 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I presume this show is live? Are they going to bring an audience in until 8pm and then feck them out for the last half hour?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,643 ✭✭✭✭fits

I didn’t know any of the folks on strictly either but it was a good show this year. Not sure I’ll bother with this now

3k a week was the figure for everyone when it started. It's probably up to 4k now.

They do it to compensate the contestants for missed earning opportunities...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,151 ✭✭✭Danye

Maybe that’s true but I would of thought Grainne Seoige would command a higher fee than Erica Coady? I’d be surprised if they were all getting the same fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,357 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

This is going to be a glorious slow motion of a car wreck that will have very little to do with dancing in the end.

Ginger, get the Popcorn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,297 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

OK Arther needs to either cut his hair or shave but having both is just wrong. It looks like he is too mean too buy anything or go anywhere.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,752 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

They did well with the stars this year.

• Advertisement
    Ms

I am up for Grainne and the first I want to see leave or at least one of the first is Neil Delemare can't stand him.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,530 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

That Italian judge, whoever he is, was just a little bit too excited when being introduced!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

Where is Ellen Keane?

Ms

That gold dress on Jennifer is beautiful but it could be more beautiful if it was symmetrical.

She is still looking amazing anyway.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ms

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Utterly shocking tbh. I know Nicholas Roche but I wouldnt refer to him as a star. I presume Missy Keaiting is one of Ronans. Wtf has she done to warrant inclusion.

Jesus christ. If they cant get bigger names then just pull the show. Typical waste of our money. Nonsense

Arthur is Brian Dowling hubby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 317 ✭✭Maryanne40

Well I'm going to do my best to enjoy it anyway. Strictly was great this year, though I hardly knew any of them before it started. I like the new Italian judge; I hope Julian is ok though and wish him the best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,155 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Jennifers voice is hurting my ears

Advertisement