Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tear jerking movies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Gladiator, Master and Comm, Saving Private Ryan tear-jerkers?
    Sorry, I'm in a strange dimension I think. Best ignore my earlier suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,509 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

A.I , that film had so many heartbreaking moments in it. Haley Joel Osment was fantastic in that film, I wonder would Stanley Kubrick have done a good job with that film ,as he died before he got to direct it and Steven Spielberg stepped in to do it...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

I think it's just a misleading title. They're all action movies with moving scenes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Sorry about that

Whale Rider.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭zoe 3619

So not much use as I can't think of the name of the movie I was going to suggest.
    But it's bugging me now-wonder if anyone can help out?
    Siamese cat,bull terrier and elderly labrador travelling to find their owners.
    Ending brought a lump to my throat.
    Edit..The Incredible Journey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Other mention here for 'My Girl'. If you don't at least shed a tear, there is something wrong with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭AlphabetCards

I went to AH with this thread initially before the mod moved it, as I knew this forum would be more 'in-depth' than the punters over on after hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

I went to AH with this thread initially before the mod moved it, as I knew this forum would be more 'in-depth' than the punters over on after hours.
    Stick around; we don't bite. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Brief Encounter imdb
    Couldn't resist. 1945 Black and white.
    That'll blow your mind. (I'm making assumptions about your youth.)

But seriously ... Dr Zhivago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭Homelander

Manchester by the Sea and Schlinders List are two that gut-punched me.

Schlinders list has the sadder scenes, but the entire premise of Manchester by the Sea, and the knowledge of same while watching individual, seemingly "casual" scenes, is what does it there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Homelander wrote: »
    Manchester by the Sea and Schlinders List are two that gut-punched me.

Schlinders list has the sadder scenes, but the entire premise of Manchester by the Sea, and the knowledge of same while watching individual, seemingly "casual" scenes, is what does it there.

Casey Affleck's character in Manchester by the Sea and his inability to express any of his pain or grief is heartbreaking. The scenes with the wife and with the nephew at the end are particularly hard-going.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭unplayable

Arrival

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Space Dog

Imitation of Life (the one from 1959)
    Boys on the Side
    The Color Purple

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Mick McGraw

Hachi: A Dogs Tale is a real tear jerker, I was depressed for weeks after watching it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

Legends of the Fall had me convulsing at the TV in hysterics.

I didn't find it that funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,837 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

zoe 3619 wrote: »
    So not much use as I can't think of the name of the movie I was going to suggest.
    But it's bugging me now-wonder if anyone can help out?
    Siamese cat,bull terrier and elderly labrador travelling to find their owners.
    Ending brought a lump to my throat.
    Edit..The Incredible Journey.

Remade as Homeward Bound, if you're interested

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Nickla

I’d agree with the colour purple - great movie, also Life is beautiful

• Registered Users Posts: 12,961 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I thought the closing scenes of The Lord of the Rings were tough, when (spoiler alert) Frodo reveals that he also has to leave and go "into the West" because his injuries could never heal. Bilbo's life had been unnaturally extended, and Frodo's unnaturally shortened, but at least it meant they could go together in the end. :(

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭costacorta

The Champ... Marley and me

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭costacorta

The Champ... Marley and me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,973 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Beaches and fried green tomatoes would be the classic ones that Irish mum's cry at I would think. Shocked they haven't been mentioned.

Very rare I would cry at a film, more likely at a doc.

Bizarrely I did cry at the fountain but I was a bit drunk watching it. Oh and Philadelphia.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,266 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Brian’s Song and The Champ.

Oh definitely The Champ

• Registered Users Posts: 13,316 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Another vote for Hatchi A Dog's Tale.

Someone mentioned House of Sand and Fog earlier in the thread, worth a watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭Ardent

Million Dollar Baby

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭BSK

Paulie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

Already mentioned, Afterlife and the Fraser Scrubs episode.

Not mentioned, but one I have actively avoided watching again as it was so emotional is 'About Time' with Domhnall Gleeson. I'm still not right all these years later!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

yermandan wrote: »
    Not mentioned, but one I have actively avoided watching again as it was so emotional is 'About Time' with Domhnall Gleeson. I'm still not right all these years later!

When 'The Luckiest' by Ben Folds starts playing near the end... that just slays me.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,312 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Just remembered another one.
    Father son type black comedy

Nebraska 2013

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nebraska_(film)

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭BSK

A Dogs Journey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭baron von something

I haven't cried at those because I'm a heartless monster but these are the saddest films I've ever seen:

Grave of the Firelights. Probably the saddest film I've ever seen. I still haven't recovered from it

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. Man, that ending..

1 particular scene in the Robert Downey Jr film Hearts and Souls gives me a lump in my throat every time I watch it

Advertisement