Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tear jerking movies

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭AlphabetCards

you guys are good. Lots of stuff to get through this evening!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Haitchi. Leaves Marley and Me in it's dust.

If I'd have been making Marley and Me, it'd been 15 minutes long, he'd have been sent to the "farm in the country".

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭hermano

Warrior. Should be on Netflix

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭emo72

"Grave Of The Fireflies". That destroyed many a childhood. Can still hear my daughter " but Da it's a cartoon..... It's meant to be happy.....

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Prefect_1998

The fly 2......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭neddynasty

Not a movie but After Life on Netflix. It's Ricky Gervais series. You'll be laughing and 30 seconds later welling up.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Field of Dreams

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

Probably odd choices but...

Raising Arizona (Hi's dream at the end)

Steve Jobs (The scene on the rooftop with Lisa)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

The king of them all is Dear Zachary. A documentary that needs to be seen without knowing anything about it just to get the full punch in the guts.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

The only Film I remember actually bawling at was Terminator 2. I was certainly less than 10 years old granted but I don't think any film has upset as such me since. Of all things an episode of Scrubs probably came closest a number of years ago (Anyone who has seen the show probably remembers the "Brendan Fraiser" episode) and I had a lump in my throat in a scene during the first season of After life.

My wife cries at anything remotely sad so she thinks i'm a heartless monster

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

The Green Mile (already mentioned) and Shawshank both bring out the emotions in me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Finding Neverland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,035 ✭✭✭bigroad

RoboCop the first one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,953 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

emo72 wrote: »
    "Grave Of The Fireflies". That destroyed many a childhood. Can still hear my daughter " but Da it's a cartoon..... It's meant to be happy.....

Oh f*ck you........

It's the only film I cannot rewatch. Imagine: In Japan it was originally released as a double bill with Totoro!!!!

I've just realised, there is a fantastic movie that moved me about 10 years ago (to this month, perhaps)

Kikujiro.

220px-Kikujiro_summer_-_album_cover.jpg

Not the most realistic of situations, but enjoyable nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Something along the lines of Saving Private Ryan, Gladiator or what not. I'm not good at movies so there might be some obvious titles that will fit the bill.
    If you liked Gladiator, try Master and Commander. Russel Crowe as a manly leader in another piece of historical fiction. Not quite as tear-jerking, but several scenes are very sad.

mikhail wrote: »
    If you liked Gladiator, try Master and Commander. Russel Crowe as a manly leader in another piece of historical fiction. Not quite as tear-jerking, but several scenes are very sad.

ahaha, you've tapped into my machismo. That the movie that used Vaughn-Williams 'fantasia on a theme by thomas tallis' on the soundtrack if I recall, I'm actually excited to see if whatever scene it is used in is as moving as that piece itself...

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Flagrantfolly

Gremlins (the first one)
    Project X (the 1987 one with Matthew Broderick)
    Armageddon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Try A Simple Plan. A great little thriller from about twenty years ago with a brilliant turn from Billy Bob Thornton. It's all about men so that might appeal to your machismo.

Manchester in the Sea is about a man struggling to get by in the aftermath of a tragedy. Casey Affleck is outstanding in the lead role. This film stayed with me for days afterwards - as did A Simple Plan

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Loads of old ones.
    Madame X
    Stella Dallas
    Mildred Pierce

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,786 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

emo72 wrote: »

Better not let her see Plague Dogs or Watership Down.

Lassie Come Home and other Lassie films from the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

I'll be upfront here. Us men aren't supposed to cry at movies but I did get close twice. In the name of the father the last scene Emma Thompson and the end scene of Veronica Guerin. Very sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

I watched Stephen Kings It at the age of 4 let’s just say that was an emotional experience, thanks grandad! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

I'll be upfront here. Us men aren't supposed to cry at movies but I did get close twice. In the name of the father the last scene Emma Thompson and the end scene of Veronica Guerin. Very sad.

My wife and I watched Veronica Guerin in the cinema in Dun Laoghaire. The cinema was almost empty and my wife, in the early stages of pregnancy, really lost it during the funeral scene. There may have been someone at the very end of Dun Laoghaire pier who couldn't quite hear her bawling...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

A monster calls is a recent-ish one that stands out for me, great performances all round :)

And sad :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,990 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Legends of the Fall had me convulsing at the TV in hysterics.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

Dades wrote: »
    The Green Mile (already mentioned) and Shawshank both bring out the emotions in me.

" The Sisters kept at him. Sometimes he was able to fight them off... sometimes not "

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭KaneToad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

The Notebook.

Gets you right in the feels.

There’s just no need to be making films as sad as this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

Bing Bongs last scene in Inside Out . ****in Hero

Advertisement