Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Wearing masks and face shields outdoors in a country that has effectively eradicated the virus strikes me as rather silly. But I guess with all the money riding on this they have to reassure people that they are taking the necessary precautions.
    Probably excessive, but perhaps not very silly if they're mingling with an international crew who just arrived in-country? It may be partly PR and/or psychology - undercutting "Guess what these reckless Hollywood buffoons are up to" clickbait, and reassuring the more nervous members of the cast and crew that they're taking precautions.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,796 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I have to ask, how much of the film will be non cg, considering alien planet. Or is this just where they've rented studio space for motion capture and all?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Wearing masks and face shields outdoors in a country that has effectively eradicated the virus strikes me as rather silly. But I guess with all the money riding on this they have to reassure people that they are taking the necessary precautions.

I don't think anyone should be taking chances at this point, especially with the risk of a second wave hitting. Complacency during the slow reopening of economies are perfect conditions for another outbreak. IMO they're reopening productions too soon but NZ presumably relies too much on TV/film productions in its economy to delay any further.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

pixelburp wrote: »
    I don't think anyone should be taking chances at this point, especially with the risk of a second wave hitting. Complacency during the slow reopening of economies are perfect conditions for another outbreak. IMO they're reopening productions too soon but NZ presumably relies too much on TV/film productions in its economy to delay any further.

NZ only has one active case of the virus. It's totally suppressed there. If it's not safe to go back to work in NZ then it's not safe anywhere until a vaccine is made and distributed and that could be years.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

NZ only has one active case of the virus. It's totally suppressed there. If it's not safe to go back to work in NZ then it's not safe anywhere until a vaccine is made and distributed and that could be years.

And what better way to ensure cases balloon upwards, then lettings hundreds of foreign nationals enter into & work across the country within a "high touch" industry :D

I think we're in that weird limbo phase where while yes, cases are dropping & economies reopening (Italy is letting in tourists again, which feels so weird after it being the epicentre for so long), the risks are still there & second waves of infection well known.

So I get why Cameron would be wearing a mask and isolating for 2 weeks all the same, even if he's probably entering the safest country for CoVid right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

the US hasn't if thats where they just came from

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

if he just finished up and made the second Cameron wouldn't need to shoot so soon lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

I find this really frustrating - i think avatar was a really bad film with no public desire for sequels.

Yet he won't spend time releasing true lies and the abyss on blu ray.

Even on lockdown i wonder did he even give them any time.

Really frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 IrishJedi75

I find this really frustrating - i think avatar was a really bad film with no public desire for sequels.

Yet he won't spend time releasing true lies and the abyss on blu ray.

Even on lockdown i wonder did he even give them any time.

Really frustrating.

I can think of over two and a half billion reasons why there is public desire for sequels.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭Homelander

I can think of over two and a half billion reasons why there is public desire for sequels.

That's commercial desire rather than public desire. I mean financially there's every reason to make "Titanic 2" but hardly any public desire for it. There are no end of unnecessary sequels made that tanked at the box office.

Not saying Avatar 2 will tank, but there's not that much public desire for it. The film was just an incredibly impressive technical marvel, but the film itself is just OK and fairly forgettable when stripped of that amazing gimmick and it's been 10 years.

Even today it's still a joy to watch on a 3D screen, no other film ever made close to the level of use of the format the way it did. It's a shame lazy, crap 3D jobs ruined it for everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,796 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Homelander wrote: »
    That's commercial desire rather than public desire. I mean financially there's every reason to make "Titanic 2" but hardly any public desire for it. There are no end of unnecessary sequels made that tanked at the box office.

Have I got news for you.
    https://m.imdb.com/title/tt1640571/

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

So we have an official title; Avatar: The Way of Water

The first trailer will be premiered before the new Dr Strange film when it releases next week.

I'm curious, definitely, but I'd never claim to be excited either. Suppose, a new James Cameron is always cause for cheer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Staplor

A whole film on water bending!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Terminator 1, 2, Aliens, The Abyss Special Edition, some of my absolute favourite films. Even True Lies is a lot of fun. Powerhouse action movies, with characters and outcomes you really care about.

I can barely remember Avatar.

I hope this movie has some real world weight, acting and action wise. Otherwise it'll be lost beneath all the McMarvel movies.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I really find it difficult to predict whether this will be a megahit or met with a shrug.

The first film’s wild success is such a peculiar abnormality. It follows that a second one will be a hit too, but by the same token the film’s general cultural status is more bemusement than adoration.

Could go either way, but Cameron seems to have committed the remainder of his personal career to the sequels project and he has made some sensible bets in the past 🤷🏻‍♂️

I think the blockbuster industry has moved on since 2009; IRon Man 1 came out the year before and maybe Avatar was the last gasp of the New IP Megahit IMO. Though I suppose now it's just another franchise - and yet another Disney owned one at that - I never once got the sense the pop-culture world was bouncing up and down with anticipation over a sequel. Fury Road, this is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

I think it will be a massive hit. The re-release in September will help too.

Avatar is still really unique, in terms of how there are no spin-off TV shows, no pre-existing IP. There's the movie, and now there's the sequel 13 years later. If the spectacle is evident in the trailers and the underwater shooting is as revolutionary as promised, it'll be a mixture of an 'event' and a nostalgic return to Pandora. People may not remember specific quotes or characters, but I think they remember the immersive experience of the world and the 3D at the time.

Also, the original's script was very simplistic in a way that meant it resonated with a lot of cultures and was interpreted in many ways - environmentalism, colonialism, etc. That this will be released in 160 languages is absolutely intentional. If there's a Chinese release, you can likely add an extra $500m to what will be easily a $1bn worldwide gross.

To be clear, four sequels is madness and the quality will have to be insane to sustain interest, but The Way of Water will definitely be a success.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,563 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

13 years seriously 13 years to make a sequel. Crazy. I totally forget anything about the first film except that it looked and sounded great and that was in 2d :). So I for 1 will not be going to see this no doubt over hyped sequel.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,563 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

The teaser trailer is also leaked, albeit in horrible "camera in cinema" quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

the special effects were amazing but the movie itself was pretty rubbish , much worse than Titanic , Worthington is a terrible actor

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

The trailer was played tonight before Doctor Strange

Trailer seemed to be leaning into a story that will explore Pandora deeper.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Hmmm, those stills look bad.

Haven't seen the trailer.

It's got to the stage where video game graphics stills are at the same quality as this.

Uncanny valley, even in the stills.

The Abyss and Titanic had read water scenes, with real actors, with more convincing acting 'cause they were actually in/under/surrounded by water during the shoot.

Not sure how this is going to play out. Looks like Horizon Forbidden West.

😀

• Registered Users Posts: 14,743 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Hard to bet against Cameron, but 13 years for the sequel to a film that no-one is really waiting for; most people have forgotten the original, 3D has gone out of fashion again and people have gotten out of the habit of going to the cinema because of Covid. Presumably it has cost a fortune to produce, we could be looking at a flop of historic proportions. But then again, it's James Cameron...

Literally every time Cameron has a new movie people say this, and then it turns into an enormous success. When will people learn? This won't make as much as the original but $1bn worldwide is the lowest it'll make.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Trailer here.

My steaming, controversial hot take is: that sure does look like a sequel to the motion picture Avatar! Don't @ me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,743 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

there was a trailer doing the rounds a couple of weeks ago that had been cut together using video game footage. TBH I can't tell if that one above is also game footage or if its the real trailer.

• Advertisement

I called the first film "sanctimonious" in this thread and watching the trailer for the sequel, completely stand by that sentiment. Amazing visuals but the story is just blergh.

Look, I love James Cameron, the man has more notches in his belt than most mainstream directors could ever dream to achieve. We know his films, they're baked within the DNA of blockbuster-cinema itself. But there's something about that over-earnest, Dances With Smurfs hippy/boomer environmental messaging that rubs me up the wrong way. In the 13 years since the last movie our planet seems exponentially more fúcked and poised to collapse completely; it seems a bit late for this kind of cautionary, Fern Gully tale.

Advertisement