Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tear jerking movies

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭coolisin

One that always did it for me, that I was not expecting, was Leon:The professional

After that:
    Gladiator
    Green Mile (every single time)
    UP
    Toy Story 3

That episode of scrubs mentioned.
    Certain episode of Futurama

• Registered Users Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Has nobody here watched Dear Zachary?!?!

Whale Rider.

definitely this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭costacorta

My wife just said the biggest tear jerker ever was yrs ago on A Country Practice when Molly died ?? 😭😭 And her film was Beaches

• Registered Users Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Has nobody here watched Dear Zachary?!?!

That movie was a continuous punch to the feels for it's entire run time - really hit me hard....

Great film but i dont mention it to people cos I found it so tough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,165 ✭✭✭✭DvB

2 i haven't seen mentioned (or at least apologies if already mentioned & I missed them) that hit me in the feels were 1. Kramer Vs Kramer, Dustin Hoffman is brilliant in it, and the end scenes are so well shot, definitely worth a look, & 2. Sophie's choice, another Meryl Streep one but probably the first film that I watched as an adult that had me genuinely in tears. I was convinced I'd moved on & went to watch it again with my wife a few years back but it all came flooding back (literally!) Some real lump in throat scenes in both.

I would recommend Dear Zachary as mentioned by others above but I'm not sure anyone wants to feel the way you do at the end of that one.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

That movie was a continuous punch to the feels for it's entire run time - really hit me hard....

Great film but i dont mention it to people cos I found it so tough
    Thats a tough watch. Just in case anyone is tempted to watch it, don't google anything about it before you do.

One that I haven't seen mentioned that is a proper tear jerker is Bridge to Terribithia

• Registered Users Posts: 6,286 ✭✭✭positron

If you have kids the following might make you bawl for entirely different reasons.

August Rush
    Interstellar

Another one I would recommend is About Time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Mask.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,165 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Hrududu wrote: »

One that I haven't seen mentioned that is a proper tear jerker is Bridge to Terribithia

Ah yes, remember watching that with the kids, defo a lump in the throat with that one.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭splashthecash

positron wrote: »
    If you have kids the following might make you bawl for entirely different reasons.

August Rush
    Interstellar

Another one I would recommend is About Time.

Yes for Interstellar- I’ve young kids and the thoughts of missing their life like that gets me every time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Miracle in cell number 7.

On Netflix.

Remake of a Korean movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭somofagun

The curious case of Benjamin Button.....the ending to this got me right in the tear glands

• Registered Users Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Hrududu wrote: »
    Thats a tough watch. Just in case anyone is tempted to watch it, don't google anything about it before you do.

One that reminds of that is one called I Kill Giants. One of our kids was having one of those moments where they're having a mini-existential crisis and are afraid of death. We have a big chat and calm them down and make sure they're okay. Then I decide to take their mind off everything by suggesting we all watch a movie together and stick on I Kill Giants. Terrible mistake...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,286 ✭✭✭positron

There are some spectacular tear-jerker Indian movies that I have thoroughly enjoyed. They specialize on that type of stuff. Hollywood truly pales in comparison.

I can suggest a few if someone is open to watching foreign language films with subtitles.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Fluke. Hate that movie!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭pah

For me, every time regardless of the fact that I know it's coming and I've seen it a dozen times

Armageddon scene with Bruce Willis and Liv Tyler

Toy Story 3 final scene where Andy plays with the toys one last time

Right
    In
    The
    Feels

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Ki ki

Dead Poets Society
    Beaches
    Million Dollar Baby
    Randomly, The Greatest Showman

I'll cry from the start when I watch any of them, already preparing for what's ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

In general but moreso at some moments/scenes, The Elephant Man. Everytime.

Strangely Grave of the Fireflies left me unmoved. Sorry !

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Mary contrary

Beaches is the only film I have ever cried while watching.. great film..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,449 ✭✭✭tigger123

A Monster Calls.

Floods of tears.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭arcticmonkeys

And then there was one...haven't watched the movie in well over 20 years but just reading through the synopsis on IMDB just made me remember why the story was so heartbreaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭barrier86

The champ.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Rolling Stone

ET. Cried when I first saw it as a kid and still do when it's on over Christmas.
    Interstellar. Because my Dad promised me.
    Field of Dreams. Hey Dad, wanna have a catch.
    Shawshank Redemption.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Shadowlands.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭W0LFMAN

Grave of the fireflies. You'll never watch it twice. But recommend it to everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭harvester of sorrow

I'll echo a few that stirred the feels,
    Interstellar
    Up
    Benjamin Button

But a Monster Calls had me in bits, not like the others above where you get a pain in your throat holding back a tear or two, trying to be a tough guy(so what you wanna fight about it?)
    But tears streaming down... tough movie to watch.

Advertisement