Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Tipp Town Thread

• 03-11-2016 6:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭

New restaurant in Tipp town.
    Lovely food there last Saturday night
    400701.JPG

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,073 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Wishing the best of luck to the new restaurant, it would be great to have a good restaurant in the area !

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 503 ✭✭✭johnb25

Paddico wrote:
    New restaurant in Tipp town. Lovely food there last Saturday night

What's it called & where is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Bit expensive for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,839 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

tipptom wrote: »
    Bit expensive for me

Nice name

• Registered Users Posts: 4,073 ✭✭✭Xenophile

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭PacMan

Its beautiful.
    The Manager is called Claire, and is such a wonderful and professional person. I do hope that Tipp Town residents gives it the support is really deserves,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,495 ✭✭✭cml387

Was that not a pub years ago? The front looks very familiar?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭blackbird99

401201.jpg
    was a pub back in the 70's as far as i know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭blackbird99

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Paddico

A minimum of 37000 euro to half pedestrianize 25 meters of Kickham Place and make it one way.
    Now there’s calls to reverse this

http://www.nationalist.ie/news/home/232148/retailers-call-for-reversal-of-tipp-town-plaza.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Black_Ninja

Paddico wrote: »
    A minimum of 37000 euro to half pedestrianize 25 meters of Kickham Place and make it one way.

http://www.nationalist.ie/news/home/232148/retailers-call-for-reversal-of-tipp-town-plaza.html

Mattie McGrath stated last week he learned the project has run to over €300,000!!!

Paddico wrote: »

Mattie McGrath stated last week he learned the project has run to over €300,000!!!
    Disgraceful if true. 100 projects that could be done in Tipp ahead of this one

Tipperary Town in the sunshine
    412929.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭Expunge

Is that the White Elephant Excel Centre that many people in Tipp Town are calling for the council to bail out (again)?
    How's it going now?

Its the Excel Centre alright but its actually a gem in the town like Tipperary. Lovely Cafe, meeting spot, cinema/theatre, gift shop and now the town Library is going in there.
    Never heard the white elephant bit or request to bail it out.

Where did you hear it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭Expunge

That place has been lurching from crisis to crisis for years. Court cases over a decade ago with one of the builders who wanted to appoint an examiner to the company.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/troubled-heritage-centre-agrees-terms-with-builder-1.368123

The cinema technology became obsolete and that was to close a few years ago.

As usual with these things, the state had to ride to the rescue in the form of Tipp Co. Council to take a hand in running it.

And then we had the outcry when it was to be closed for 6 months this year to facilitate the building of the Library in there. 1,200 people signed a petition, apparently. Pity they all wouldn't go in there and buy a cup of coffee and a cinema ticket.

It's a fantastic facility but I don' think our local authority should be in the business of propping up coffee shops and cinemas. There are private companies who will do it (if it's viable)

Tipp Co. Council could start with the disgraceful street surfaces of Tipp Town before it goes moving libraries into someone else's ill-conceived vanity project from nearly 20 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Expunge wrote: »
    That place has been lurching from crisis to crisis for years. Court cases over a decade ago with one of the builders who wanted to appoint an examiner to the company.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/troubled-heritage-centre-agrees-terms-with-builder-1.368123

As usual with these things, the state had to ride to the rescue in the form of Tipp Co. Council to take a hand in running it.

And then we had the outcry when it was to be closed for 6 months this year to facilitate the building of the Library in there. 1,200 people signed a petition, apparently. Pity they all wouldn't go in there and buy a cup of coffee and a cinema ticket.

It's a fantastic facility but I don' think our local authority should be in the business of propping up coffee shops and cinemas. There are private companies who will do it (if it's viable)

Tipp Co. Council could start with the disgraceful street surfaces of Tipp Town before it goes moving libraries into someone else's ill-conceived vanity project from nearly 20 years ago.

Excellent post. Agree with all of that.
    It's al lot easier be a keyboard warrior moaning about the place instead of actually patronising the excel as you mentioned.

Tipperary is an excellent town in terms of facilities. Two things killing it are lack of employment and the n24 running right through it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,484 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Expunge wrote: »

The cafe is great, I go there quite often for wraps/coffee/scones.

The cinema is it's own worst enemy though, I've had nothing but negative experiences with the place. High concentration of noisy scummy people every time I've been there, the screens are small, the sound is rattly, the place can be freezing, the popcorn/coke combo large size is the same size as the small in every other cinema...I mean its popcorn, it costs literally a few cents.

I've been in the main cinema (1) for various functions/meetings etc and that's great too, It's a pity the cinema side just appears to be run shoddily. I'd like to support it but with the negative experiences I've had there it's easier go to Limerick.

The cafe is great, I go there quite often for wraps/coffee/scones.

The cinema is it's own worst enemy though, I've had nothing but negative experiences with the place. High concentration of noisy scummy people every time I've been there, the screens are small, the sound is rattly, the place can be freezing, the popcorn/coke combo large size is the same size as the small in every other cinema...I mean its popcorn, it costs literally a few cents.

I've been in the main cinema (1) for various functions/meetings etc and that's great too, It's a pity the cinema side just appears to be run shoddily. I'd like to support it but with the negative experiences I've had there it's easier go to Limerick.

Tbf people are entitled to go wherever they want.
    As the poster said, maybe some of those 1200 who 'signed the petition' on social media with their faux outrage ought have physically supported the place....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,693 ✭✭✭flutered

tipp town is slowly dying, fone and charity shops abound, many members and ex members of the town council need stripping of their fancy pensions for their past and continued neglect of the place

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Harcrid

Couldn't agree more about the road surface. Pass through town every day and I can't believe the whole town has not been resurfaced yet. It's awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Black_Ninja

Supposedly there is an allocation of funds to resurface the road through Tipp Town from the Dunnes Stores roundabout to the graveyard on the Cashel road.

Irish Water are holding it up as they have to replace some lead piping in the town. Work is due to start in June and last up to 6 months so it'll be early next year before anything done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60 ✭✭Einstein A. Gogo

What's happened to the pubs in Tipperary? Was there on Monday and many were closed. Even a big one, kielys.

What's happened to the pubs in Tipperary? Was there on Monday and many were closed. Even a big one, kielys.
    the recession, how many buisneses closed to be replaced by fone and charity shops, lack of spending money, the price of drink, a bottle of sspirits is 20-25 lids, two or three can have a might night at home in front of thir tv, what would the same money purchase for twwo or three in a pub, the having to watch whatever a bored barperson was watching, which perhaps the punter would never watch at home

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

Investment is badly needed to bring people into the town.
    I have to go Limerick / Waterford to buy clothes for my kids. Dunnes is okay but sometimes they don't have a good range.

Penny's would be great!

Why would anyone invest in the town if the locals won't shop locally? Why have all the shops closed? Because everyone is going to Clonmel or Limerick to shop!!!

Why would anyone invest in the town if the locals won't shop locally? Why have all the shops closed? Because everyone is going to Clonmel or Limerick to shop!!!

The rates in the town are a huge issue as to why most of the smaller shops have closed. Parking is another issue as is the appalling permanent traffic jam. Building the likes of Tesco and Dunnes on the edge of the town has also added to the exodus.

High unemployment rate.
    No factory in the town.
    Piss poor facilities of any kind.

It's not a case of people "not bothering" to shop in the town, it's any number of those factors.

i failed to buy a voda sim card there last week

flutered wrote: »
    i failed to buy a voda sim card there last week

Jesus, you're just bursting with positivity aren't ya

• Advertisement

Vicious circle. Local leave to shop as there aren't any good shops there. Old fashioned boutiques aren't suitable for kids clothes or even young people in general.

If the shops were there, locals would support them.

The rates in the town are a huge issue as to why most of the smaller shops have closed. Parking is another issue as is the appalling permanent traffic jam. Building the likes of Tesco and Dunnes on the edge of the town has also added to the exodus.

High unemployment rate.
    No factory in the town.
    Piss poor facilities of any kind.

It's not a case of people "not bothering" to shop in the town, it's any number of those factors.

It was the local business who objected to Tesco / Dunnes going into the town centre for years.
    So they set up just outside. Now the same businesses are giving out because footfall in the town has decreased.

The whole place really needs to be modernised. The mart on a Friday in the town centre keeps people away from the place.
    The crazy Wednesday afternoon closing for local business has to stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Tipp town is truly the worst, most horrible looking town in the country, It's just missing a few Cash 4 Gold type shops now.

Tipp town is truly the worst, most horrible looking town in the country, It's just missing a few Cash 4 Gold type shops now.

I'm a proud Tipperary man and I have to agree. I've moved to Limerick and commute to Tipperary for work.

I'm a proud Tipperary man and I have to agree. I've moved to Limerick and commute to Tipperary for work.

It's just one of those towns were the best thing about it really is the road out of it. The town is just so grim and depressing looking to drive through. No reason to stop there. Housing estates all look rough too.

I have to agree with you on all points there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,839 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Agreed - Nearly there with the amount of bookies in the town anyway. Miserable place. The road is an absolute mess too

digzy wrote: »
    Jesus, you're just bursting with positivity aren't ya[/QUO

its true

Is Kielys bar closed for good?

Is Kielys bar closed for good?

Why not ask him if it's bothering you so much

digzy wrote: »

??? ...Ok

I didn't even know the bar was closed, I was aware the night club had gone about a year ago, probably something to do with the fact the bouncers liked beating the crap out of anyone in there, men or women... absolute scum bags.

• Advertisement

??? ...Ok

I didn't even know the bar was closed, I was aware the night club had gone about a year ago, probably something to do with the fact the bouncers liked beating the crap out of anyone in there, men or women... absolute scum bags.
    due to the increasing number of injury claims, insurance could not be found, the door staff had to put up with a lot of schit in tipp, so much so that no one wanted to work the doors there, so high/no insurance, no door staff has led to tipp not having a nite club

flutered wrote: »
    due to the increasing number of injury claims, insurance could not be found, the door staff had to put up with a lot of schit in tipp, so much so that no one wanted to work the doors there, so high/no insurance, no door staff has led to tipp not having a nite club

I'd have no sympathy for those bouncers.

digzy wrote:

Ok. Sorry if I touched a nerve. Was just an innocent question...

I'd have no sympathy for those bouncers.
    for the ones who refused to work there

Ok. Sorry if I touched a nerve. Was just an innocent question...

No it wasn't. You're gossiping about a mans private business. Gossip away and throw mud all ye like....:the mods are ignoring it anyway

I don't know the man you're talking about. I don't live there. Fyi I stop off in Tipp every week on business and usually have lunch there. Noticed it closed last two weeks. No need for the attitude.

I don't know the man you're talking about. I don't live there. Fyi I stop off in Tipp every week on business and usually have lunch there. Noticed it closed last two weeks. No need for the attitude.

That's what the report button is for!

Gossiping about man's private life? "Is kielys bar closed" simple enough question.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,037 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

The mods are not ignoring anything. Can ye all please try ro behave like adults and stop insulting each other and insulting/defaming people in the town. Any more rubbish on this threads and bans will be handed out liberally.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

If you report it, it'll be viewed. Even if you are abusive in the report. Be nice.

• Advertisement
Advertisement