Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

West classified as 'region in decline' by EU

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

dispersed houses are more expensive to provide services to. post, electricity, broadband, etc.

i will try to dig it out, but i once read that ireland uses four times as much miles of copper per capita in providing electricity to domestic customers than in the UK.

There are similar statistics on the phone network.

The Open Eir network in reality consists of about 45 actual telephone exchanges and something like 1600+ "RSUs" (remote subscriber units) which are the things that we tend to call 'exchanges' but actually are in reality just satellites of their parent switch. Some of them are big, especially in Cork and Dublin etc.. i.e. might have 10,000-15,000 lines hanging off them but in a lot of rural RSUs you could be talking 100 lines or fewer.

That's also a large part of the reason why in the old days i.e. pre digital, it was extremely hard to service rural Ireland. The post 1980 digital switches allowed us for the first time to serve some of those communities at reasonable cost as they were based on early distributed technologies, notably the Alcatel stuff that was designed for similar situations in far flung parts of rural France. With electromechanical era exchanges i.e. pre 1980s, there really wasn't very much technology that was usable in tiny places. Technologies like crossbar and so on were really expecting at least a few hundred lines per node. That's why many places were stuck with a plug-board in the post office and the local postmistress as operator.

With broadband, copper based ADSL never worked well in rural / semi rural hinterland areas because the copper lines are really really long. You can get voice service down a 4km line quite effectively, but DSL services drop off after at most a couple of km and there are very few ways of overcoming that problem.

VDSL and ADSL work great in towns and even small villages - any cluster of say 60+ connections and you can put in a cabinet / RSU and 100mbit/s+ broadband.

Then take something like the water pollution issues caused by malfunctioning septic tanks etc. Most of that is due to a proliferation of low density housing that's incredibly expensive to service with sewers but is slightly more dense than is safe to avoid ground water contamination. You saw loads of that around the lakes near Athlone and so on where there was this springing up of a scatter of homes from the 1960s onwards in lake-side locations and no public sewage systems.

The list goes on and on and on with these issues. Everything we do costs way more because we don't seem to be willing to cluster houses. It's not even about living in big cities. We don't even do villages, and often undermine their development by scattering housing the hinterland. The result is everyone drives to the local Lidl/Aldi and the village that was dies as people move out into rural one off stuff. So you end up with a hollowed out half dead village somewhere and a really low density scatter into the surrounding countryside. You certainly see that kind of pattern all over places like North Leitrim and Roscommon and so on.

I just think if rural areas are going to thrive and prosper long term, they need to focus on trying to become economically sustainable and that does involve developing villages and it doesn't have to be pokey developer-driven speculative town house estates either. They're not attractive to most people, but how about developing seriously nice serviced land in and around villages and encouraging people to build there rather than out in the middle of a field somewhere?

Again just to look at the towns in North Leitrim, a lot of them flung up houses in the Celtic tiger era that would make sense in the middle of Dublin, Cork, Limerick, Galway etc, but make absolutely zero sense in a small village where people have an expectation of a bit of space and privacy - gardens etc. There were loads of developments of town houses, apartments, duplexes and so on that sat empty because that simply isn't the kind of housing that people want in those kinds of places. From what I could see, a lot of it was also driven by applying large urban design ideologies to tiny villages - hence the gardenless duplex apartments etc etc that nobody wanted.

Take a look at what's done in say Norwegian villages - you get big spacious houses built on serviced land in / near towns and villages. It's a good compromise between the desire to have plenty of space and the need to cluster to be both sustainable and economically viable.

Living in a very small town can be extremely desirable, IF it has the right mix of housing and facilities and we still don't get that right.

There's also a huge advantage to some of this stuff as we age - you're not depending on people to drive you everywhere.

I'd also argue that this kind of thing shouldn't be about compulsion or forcing people to be in villages. They should be places that are desirable to live in.

We need to evolve a workable Irish solution to an Irish problem and I think that has to combine our desire for space and individualism with an ability to cooperate and cluster things. That isn't going to be achieved by trying to rigorously follow some notion of an imported model be it from somewhere in continental Europe or England. We need to come up with a solution that works for rural Irish wants, needs and ideals about what housing should be.

I genuinely do think we have a very different idea of how we want to live and that's something that we should be working with and not seeing as something we should necessarily change. There's nothing wrong with wanting a bit of space and privacy, but it can be done in the context of much better use of space.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    There's plenty of people living in Dublin, Cork or Galway who'd be more than happy to move back to their one off house in the middle of the sticks with average broadband, happy to have just a small school,...

Fair enough; why would governments want to facilitate this, though? They would be setting themselves up for generations of inflated costs in order to supply services to these households - look how much the broadband programme will cost the state coffers
    NIMAN wrote: »
    Maybe so. But not ALL people. How these cities will cope with the numbers in the future will bring it's own issues.

In Ireland, do more people live in cities than not I wonder?
    Edit: just googled it. Apparently 2.9 mill live in urban areas out of 4.7mill population

And Ireland is playing catch-up, as we remained more agrarian society a lot later than many other western countries.

I agree with other posters that the we can't have everything in Dublin, but the answer to that is to encourage the sustainable development of Cork, Limerick, Galway, etc - not to encourage people to move miles from civilisation, and then complain that it takes an hour for an ambulance to reach their isolated bungalow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

The big problem though is we are where we are. You can't undo decades of bad planning, particularly as the houses all exist, but you can at least try and avoid compounding the problems by continuing to undermine the regional cities (and Dublin actually too) with pathetically weak local government. If you consider the 5 cities in Ireland, including Dublin, have less power to manage their own development in terms of things like transit systems, facilities, education etc than your average tiny village in rural France.

I'd also argue that we need to reestablish town councils but with a far better structure and setup than they had before. There was no logic to which towns had and hadn't town councils / UDCs other than that's what they had in the 19th century and nothing changed.

I'd argue that every town and village in Ireland should have some kind of cost-effective local government system similar to what you see elsewhere in Europe. It's bizarre that we don't have it as those are the structures that drive local discussion and implementation of services and making those villages and towns desirable to live in.

What we seem to have is a parallel system of volunteers doing what should be local government roles e.g. Tidy towns committees and local development groups and so on all desperately trying to make their towns and villages better, without any of the democratic mandate, legal powers or normal structures to do so.

The whole thing is a watered-down mess and has been for decades and we seem to have almost no political will to change it and nobody's really driving any discussion on why it's wrong.

Good development plans and decent towns and villages and cities don't happen just out of some kind of random accidental thing. They happen because there are good structures in place to facilitate their development.

I find Ireland has a tendency to wallow in self-pity about how things are cultural when they're in reality down to structural issues. There's absolutely no reason that our cities and towns couldn't be as well run as anyone else's in Europe, other than we don't have the structures in place to allow that to happen and there's no line of accountability to the local population really - it's all watered down or powers are exercised by central government or totally unaccountable agencies e.g. OPW, TII etc or by government departments who are often driven by a minister who's an interest in their own constituency or are hampered by national political issues.

Also there's a rather erroneous notion that Dublin has power. The Dail sits in Dublin but the city itself has no ability to run its own affairs any more than Cork has and it's suffering as a result - i.e. no metro, inadequate infrastructure, squabbles over policing resources etc. and we seem to be incapable thinking of cities other than Dublin as viable urban areas. I still encounter ridiculous attitudes about Cork City being "down the country" etc

We are on most measures the most centralised country in the OECD and EU and I find it's ridiculous that we can't take initiatives on local government ourselves instead of having to be dragged into doing something about it by the EU. I would actually suspect that had it not been for European notions of subsidiarity, the Irish political tendency would have been to do away with local authorities entirely because back bench TD survive by fixing their constituents' potholes and streetlamps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,521 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

2. the govt should commence a programme of regeneration in strategically-identified towns in order to promote these locations as options for business, citizens and services and to encourage citizens away from the acknowledged undesirable option of dispersed settlement.

In fairness I think FF tried this about 20 years ago with the national spatial strategy. Everybody knew Dublin was becoming an enormous problem and there was no regional balance.

It had a great professionaly written report but it was all abandoned with fighting and squabbling between local politicians and towns arguing over who was most important and strategic to focus expansion on.

It was a nice idea on paper in a Dublin office, but then it met local politicians.:cool:

i genuinely don't know what point you're making.
    it's not a radical thing to suggest that so many people wanting to live in one off houses several kilometres from the nearest nucleated settlement isn't good for the country as a whole.

and yes, on a selfish level, my electricity bills are higher because of people wanting to live in a field, undisturbed by humanity, except for people living in the next field over.
    it's more expensive for me to post a letter because of one off housing.
    my broadband is more expensive. my taxes are higher.

the point im making is irrelevant if you are popping in to give out about one-off rural housing, which nobody in this thread has in any way posted in support of as far as i can tell.

• Advertisement

In fairness I think FF tried this about 20 years ago with the national spatial strategy. Everybody knew Dublin was becoming an enormous problem and there was no regional balance.

It had a great professionaly written report but it was all abandoned with fighting and squabbling between local politicians and towns arguing over who was most important and strategic to focus expansion on.

It was a nice idea on paper in a Dublin office, but then it met local politicians.:cool:

i remember it well!

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭thegetawaycar

Having had a lot of dealings with the IDA, they always highlight the potential of rural locations and also the grants all get highlighted for rural bases to be front and centre.

The problem they have is most of the companies looking for a European base have a list of boxes to tick, proximity to workforce is usually very high, access to flights to their country of origin, multi-lingual supports, broadband and ability to attract foreign staff are all pretty high on the list.

The IDA is usually in competition with the likes of Amsterdam (who offer expats 30% tax back on moving to NL), Frankfurt, London, Rome etc... Do you really think many of these companies want to locate in Letterkenny to tick these boxes?

What may have potential to work is looking at companies already here that are in hyper growth to the extent of outgrowing their current location and seeing if there is potential for them to open regional hubs instead of having 3,000 workers in Dublin. This could also be done by working with them when they say in 5 years they will be hiring X number of staff and getting them in touch with the local third level to make sure they are going to have a local employee base.

Anyone who thinks the IDA are only pushing Dublin must not have had many dealings with them as any time I've met them there is huge emphasis on regional hubs getting more jobs but it's a difficult sell to companies with a lot of other options.

If the Government were to invest in transport, build housing in town (not one offs in the middle of nowhere) and actually made the broadband level acceptable before companies located then there may be a draw but we just don't have a government willing to speculate at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

I often crack a wry smile when people hold forth that the unsustainable nature of development in the western region is to blame for its decline, when all our major cities have been allowed to develop akin to regional small towns for decades, and still get all the investment.

The amount of low rise low density housing estates in Dublin (a capital 'city') is doing immeasurably more economic and ecological damage to the country than a few houses in fields in Donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,851 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

lostcat wrote: »
    I often crack a wry smile when people hold forth that the unsustainable nature of development in the western region is to blame for its decline, when all our major cities have been allowed to develop akin to regional small towns for decades, and still get all the investment.

The amount of low rise low density housing estates in Dublin (a capital 'city') is doing immeasurably more economic and ecological damage to the country than a few houses in fields in Donegal.

If you look at the economic statistics, that's plainly not true.

The country would collapse without Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

Zebra3 wrote: »
    If you look at the economic statistics, that's plainly not true.

The country would collapse without Dublin.

not really, rather Dublin is eating the rest of the country. And its not even set up to do it properly so is getting indigestion in the process.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Balf

lostcat wrote: »
    rather Dublin is eating the rest of the country.
    ? Does that statement actually mean anything?

The missing element in all this is critical self-analysis by rural advocates. They need to get clear about what it is that they actually want, and why all the many attempts to develop rural areas have achieved so little.

Do rural sub post offices and one/two teacher schools actually support a thriving rural society? If so, why hasn't it thrived? Are rail services really important for rural Ireland? If so, is the area along the Westport and Sligo rail services showing some results?

There's a perfect willingness to refocus on a positive agenda. But too many rural advocates have the mindset of a menopausal woman. It's all so emotionally fraught, for reasons that never quite become clear, and you have the feeling that only Dr Freud could really tell you what's going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Balf wrote: »
    ? Does that statement actually mean anything?

The missing element in all this is critical self-analysis by rural advocates. They need to get clear about what it is that they actually want, and why all the many attempts to develop rural areas have achieved so little.

Do rural sub post offices and one/two teacher schools actually support a thriving rural society? If so, why hasn't it thrived? Are rail services really important for rural Ireland? If so, is the area along the Westport and Sligo rail services showing some results?

There's a perfect willingness to refocus on a positive agenda. But too many rural advocates have the mindset of a menopausal woman. It's all so emotionally fraught, for reasons that never quite become clear, and you have the feeling that only Dr Freud could really tell you what's going on.

The answer is generally "because we're not being given enough money from the cities".

....the cities which are apparently failing and losing more money than the countryside. If anyone can figure that one out.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,289 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i work for an IT company in SW donegal, we have been here for 22 years, we have just been sold to a UK company, the infrastructure deficit is amazing, we have a MAN in the town but ENET Are useless unless you are a multinational or bank, we have just got siro in the town last november but its going to be interesting linking us to the new company.

but we are here and hoping to double in size in the next 12 months with this investment.

there is an amercican company in the town doubleing the size of its operation

my house is in the coutryside but its on the 1854 ordnace survey maps so hardly a recent addition

anyway we are here in sw donegal and trying to expand

• Registered Users Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

We've tried to hire people in the NW and cannot get them for love nor money. It really stifles the enthusiasm of a multinational when they're advertising for 6-12 months and effectively begging people to relocate to the NW to fill a role.

We find that when people from the NW go to university, they become quite connected to the area they study in, and the lifestyle that they lead there. It's quite hard to entice them back to the NW afterwards. So we end up finding raw candidates and putting them through college to try and get a graduate at the end who may or may not be of any use. It's a little bit dysfunctional.

From this it looks to me as though an education deficit could be a part of the problem. Perhaps centralised "office" or "remote work" hubs in the villages and small towns could help people to both do some of their university training or work remotely. I don't think broadband to every house is a feasible concept, but broadband to every village or even a set number of villages MIGHT be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Balf

but we are here and hoping to double in size in the next 12 months with this investment.

there is an amercican company in the town doubleing the size of its operation
    And that's good to hear.
    my house is in the coutryside but its on the 1854 ordnace survey maps so hardly a recent addition
    Grand, but also fair enough to note that Census figures half of the housing stock in County Donegal was built in the period 1991-2011.

Would you feel all that relatively recent housing was planned in such a way as to make it easy to provide infrastructure and services?

Another thing that occurs to me is that people on the Ivearagh and Beara peninsulas (penninsulae?) are every bit as remote as the people in the NW, but I seem to hear far less complaining about it.
    Allihies, Waterville, Valentia are well over 2.5 hours from their nearest city and they don't tend to have very good infrastructure, internet, hospitals, universities, or big multinational investment. Their rural way of life is very much ebbing away from them also, but I just tend to hear much less about it.

Does anyone have any thoughts about what's different about the NW that makes "lack of central investment" such a hot topic there, compared with the SW? Is it purely that it's (generally) poorer?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,893 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

There seems to be a 100% belief that all companies are saying "we want to be in Dublin and nowhere else".

How do people know this?

Because they're prepared to pay a significant premium in terms of wages and land/leasing costs to locate there.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,893 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Look up rundale system , comes from the time of the landlord's and tenant farmers, it's centuries old

How's that the explanation for late 20th century bungalow blight?

Xertz wrote: »
    We need to evolve a workable Irish solution to an Irish problem

Which has become a joke of a phrase for a good reason, it's never an actual solution, it's always a fudge to try to make an issue go away because actually solving it would upset some people (generally a tiny but very noisy minority.)

Really, we might like to think we are unique but we're not. All of the problems our country faces have been encountered and solved elsewhere. Just pick the right solution and then implement it, don't half-ass it. Of course this will upset some people but you can't please everyone and the greater good of the region or indeed the country as a whole has to be more important.

This is a bit of a nitpick (I suppose anyone who lived through the early Haughey era shudders when they hear that phrase.) The points you made were well made though.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Fr D Maugire

Another thing that occurs to me is that people on the Ivearagh and Beara peninsulas (penninsulae?) are every bit as remote as the people in the NW, but I seem to hear far less complaining about it.
    Allihies, Waterville, Valentia are well over 2.5 hours from their nearest city and they don't tend to have very good infrastructure, internet, hospitals, universities, or big multinational investment. Their rural way of life is very much ebbing away from them also, but I just tend to hear much less about it.

Does anyone have any thoughts about what's different about the NW that makes "lack of central investment" such a hot topic there, compared with the SW? Is it purely that it's (generally) poorer?

Well one huge difference would be the level of Tourism in the SW compared to NW. Go to Kerry in summer and you cannot move with Tourists. I would say there is 10 hotels in Sligo/Letterkenny combined, the 2 biggest Towns in the NW. Compare that with Killarney/Tralee/Kinsale/Kenmare. Tourism is the lifeblood of the SW region. But, then Tourism is a double edged as I would much prefer the NW to visit as it is not jam-packed with Tourists. My own feelings dont put more money in pockets though.

Also travel time is not the same, it takes approx 3 hours to get from Dublin/Galway to South Donegal, go to the more remote parts of the rest of Donegal and you are looking at 4/5 hours. Big part of the problem is Donegal is cut of from the natural hinterland. Northern Ireland, Derry is right there and Belfast is closer than any city in the Republic, unfortunately both in a different jurisdiction.

Likewise, train to Sligo, still another 45min or so to South Donegal, much longer to the remote parts. Airports, Shannon caters to SW, nearest major airport to Donegal in Republic, Dublin. Sligo might not be so bad, but Donegal is much more isolated than the SW of Ireland.

Well one huge difference would be the level of Tourism in the SW compared to NW. Go to Kerry in summer and you cannot move with Tourists. I would say there is 10 hotels in Sligo/Letterkenny combined, the 2 biggest Towns in the NW. Compare that with Killarney/Tralee/Kinsale/Kenmare. Tourism is the lifeblood of the SW region. But, then Tourism is a double edged as I would much prefer the NW to visit as it is not jam-packed with Tourists. My own feelings dont put more money in pockets though.

Also travel time is not the same, it takes approx 3 hours to get from Dublin/Galway to South Donegal, go to the more remote parts of the rest of Donegal and you are looking at 4/5 hours. Big part of the problem is Donegal is cut of from the natural hinterland. Northern Ireland, Derry is right there and Belfast is closer than any city in the Republic, unfortunately both in a different jurisdiction.

Likewise, train to Sligo, still another 45min or so to South Donegal, much longer to the remote parts. Airports, Shannon caters to SW, nearest major airport to Donegal in Republic, Dublin. Sligo might not be so bad, but Donegal is much more isolated than the SW of Ireland.

Pardon my ignorance, but what difference does it make that Derry is across the border?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Fr D Maugire

Pardon my ignorance, but what difference does it make that Derry is across the border?

Surely that is obvious, technically a different country, different government, different currency, different health system etc. During the troubles, the border was a huge issue and that is why nobody wants to see it back. Are you suggesting that people in Donegal should rely on Britsh Government & Services rather the Irish government?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,192 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I don't see what dispersed housing has got to do with government not investing money into roads and jobs?

We don't want jobs delivered to our front door. We'll drive to the nearest town to work!

That lifestyle is unsustainable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭MrAbyss

One of the great mythologies of places like Donegal is that 'deh Dublin government closed our railways down'

Firstly, Donegal had mostly rattle box narrow gauge lines that took hours and hours to cross relatively short distances. There were romantic 'are ye right there Michael' bendy slow rail lines, but useless once buses came along

Secondly the two Mainlines (Bundoran and Ballyshannon) you had were killed off by Unionists in the north. No one packs sandwiches and a flask of tea and takes the trains to seaside anymore.

Thirdly, building a rail line between Sligo and Derry would be one of the biggest engineering project in the world and you could pay for the cost of the Dart-underground and Metro and get more passengers than a FTP few grannies on 3 trains a day and trainspotters.

Fourthly, go away and blame your local politicians and planners for making public transport - and all other infrastructure - impossible in Donegal.

You are not getting Dublin's jobs because you have done NOTHING to deserve them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Sligo eye

Ireland is quite unique in that Infrastructure never gets added until it’s too late.

In other countries they plan for infrastructure in advance to bring development. It shouldn’t take a lot of brain power to figure out that the whole laizzez faire approach to Irish planning policies failed and failed a long time ago.

In many respects we should look at the Derry/Letterkenny/Strabane area as an area ripe for intense development as a new city area.

Road and rail links need to be developed and then housing and industry should be offered tax breaks to develop, but strictly around built infrastructure. The quality of life offered in the Northwest is outstanding but it’s inaccessibility holds it back. This approach is proven to work elsewhere, there’s no reason why we shouldn’t take this approach here.

This would be an outstanding example of post Brexit cross border cooperation and a genuine attempt to bring the border region together.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Firblog

A good few people have asked what it is that people want the govt to do to to stop the transition of the west / northwest back to objective one status, and the simple answer is to improve the communication and transport infrastructure; so that it doesn't take more than 2.5 hours to drive from Dublin Airport to any large town (5000+) in those regions, and that all towns- say population of 2000+ in those areas have access to 1000MB broadband.

I wouldn't expect it to be achieved overnight, but surely it should be planned for? and with matching funding from the EU it may not be as expensive as people might think.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,289 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

They don't serve Donegal, I don't think anyone is arguing that, they do serve the north west though. Regardless, a train service to Dublin won't fix any of the west's or north west's problems. Sligo, is a perfect example of this. It has a train to Dublin and Sligo has been stagnating for what feels like an eternity. All a train service will do is make it easier for the people who moved away to Dublin to go back home for weekends or events.

I've had this same discussion with people saying we need a motorway all the way from Sligo to Dublin. They say that it will lead to companies opening in Dublin. No, it won't. Why would a company that was originally going to open in Dublin suddenly open in Sligo because now it only takes 2.5 hours to drive to Dublin instead of 3 hours. They won't.

the problem with the train service into sligo is the first train doesnt arrive in until 10:15 (i think) so it cant be used fro people ccoming into sligo. it causes recruitement problems for sligo IT (where people have decided to go to dublin because they can get there on monday morning wheras they cant the other way.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,270 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Fairly shocking that the EU is willing to pay for more than 50% of the cost of some of the projects in the North West and the current government not in a position to make up the difference.

It will hopefully help fast track the M17 heading North and better connections to Enniskillen and Northern Ireland. Maybe eventually it won't be just somewhere for people from the east to have holiday homes dotted everywhere and the conditions are created for more industry to move there.

https://www.con-telegraph.ie/news/roundup/articles/2020/01/28/4184933-west-classified-as-regio/

“It is now official, we have a two tier economy, with Dublin and the south of the country classified as a developed region, with the west and north west classified as a region in transition, meaning that the north west of Ireland is declining at a rapid rate and well on its way to becoming an objective one status region.

“Objective one status would classify the west of Ireland as one of the least developed regions in the EU.

“Though the new transition classification will mean better EU co-funding rates for the west of Ireland, the reality is that successive governments have failed to nominate critical infrastructure projects in the west, even in circumstances where in excess of 50% matching funding would be available from the EU.

“The story is the same right across the EU, large tracts of rural Europe are now classified as regions in transition, with their nation states at best indifferent, and at worst, actively impeding the roll out of EU funded infrastructure to their respective rural regions.

“Tourism, CAP and Leader will not reverse rural decline, forestry, industrial wind farms and greenways are not the answer.

“National governments must stop discrimating against our regions and embark on a major extensive multi billion infrastructural investment plan.”

of course it's under developed... it's miles and miles of ribbon developments and one off housing

• Registered Users Posts: 32,987 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

blanch152 wrote: »
    That lifestyle is unsustainable.

Eh?

Have you seen the M50 every morning and evening? Dublin's hinterlands are packed with cars driving into the city.

So its ok for people from Louth, Meath, Kildare etc to drive to work, but not ok for me to drive much shorter times and distances for work, just cos I'm in Donegal?

Surely that is obvious, technically a different country, different government, different currency, different health system etc. During the troubles, the border was a huge issue and that is why nobody wants to see it back. Are you suggesting that people in Donegal should rely on Britsh Government & Services rather the Irish government?

is it possible that this is a cultural / historical thing? Because it unfortunately isn't obvious to me.

Are you saying that people in Donegal effectively avoid gravitating towards Derry? Because to me, that's the nearest City/University/Hospital/Big Urban Area etc.

It is not immediately obvious to me why a Donegal person wouldn't present at a Derry Hospital, University etc. Or to the point of the thread, achieve employment with a company based in Derry. The reason I say this is because I know people who have done all of those things without issue.

I totally agree that the border is critical, but as far as I'm aware there are no checks on that border at present (and hopefully not in the future either!). Is it all that very different than (for instance) all of the economy based around Basel?

I'm reading "the nearest city is 2.5 hours away", and although that's also the case in Kerry/West Cork it's apparently different because they have built industries based on their remoteness. That doesn't have much to do with government investment though?
    I'm reading "we need jobs, hospitals, education" and although these are available nearby, that they're considered inadequate because they're across the border.

I may be a complete idiot (highly likely) but if you'll humour me, I still don't fully understand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,270 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Eh?

Have you seen the M50 every morning and evening? Dublin's hinterlands are packed with cars driving into the city.

So its ok for people from Louth, Meath, Kildare etc to drive to work, but not ok for me to drive much shorter times and distances for work, just cos I'm in Donegal?

those are structural problems that are a consequence of growth... those are actually good problems to have...

Advertisement