Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HOW, 45 Tons of my (flying) CO2 to be removed from the atmosphere

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Effects wrote: »
    I wasn't aware that the regs had changed that much. When I last looked into it I knew about having to keep it certain distances from roads, other dwellings etc.

I met with a couple of forestry advisers but it seemed pointless in the end.
    They looked at me like I had ten heads when I told them I didn't want to plant sitka spruce.

Get one of the Teagasc forestry advisors to look at the land, they will give you impartial advice on what to plant, plant it yourself and get a registered forester to do the paperwork. The bigger forestry companies only see things from a commercial side.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,152 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if you want to know what to plant, i reckon it's simple. have a wander around the area and see what native species are doing well there.
    and collect seed locally, it'll be more likely to enjoy the conditions.

i know a chap with some land at carna in connemara. he got a load of rowan - not locally - which really did not thrive there. but the stuff he collected from seed locally was quite happy, he assumes it was salt on the wind which the 'imported' rowan couldn't cope with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,100 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

easypazz wrote: »
    If you leave the land to its own devices trees will grow anyway.

it's a constant battle to stop sycamores taking root in my small suburban garden, I'm surprised the country isn't covered in them.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

loyatemu wrote: »
    it's a constant battle to stop sycamores taking root in my small suburban garden, I'm surprised the country isn't covered in them.
    Loads of those seeds down here this evening.
    Wind will take them all over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

OP

Would you consider paying someone else to plant the trees on their land? So pay for the tree/tree guard/post, cone up with a price and then pay/donate to have them planted.

Would it be important for you to actually be able to visit the trees? Or would you be happy if you just knew that they were growing and had some pics/videos.

I am asking because there are lots of people around Ireland who are planting their land with native trees, and get zero incentive from the government, and these trees will never be harvested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 RioSafari

I just buy a few tree for these guys to plant every time I have to fly...I can't post links but look up hometree in Clare

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

for me the cost of planting trees is working out to 3 euro per tree = fencing post/drainage pipe guard/2 big cable ties per tree.

Thankfully I don't have to buy the trees as I have grown them.

200 dug out and planted this month.

There is a campaign on YouTube to raise 20 million to plant 20 million trees by the end of the year, OP you could donate to that.

Advertisement