Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HOW, 45 Tons of my (flying) CO2 to be removed from the atmosphere

• 29-09-2019 6:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭

Would like to plant non-commercial broadleaf trees in Ireland, anybody got ideas?

🧐IMHO, God wants us all to ENJOY many,many ice-creams , 🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,171 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that's a lot of flying. is that a year, or a lifetime worth?
    you simply need land that's not currently wooded, and plant it. if 45 tons is your lifetime output, and you just want to remove 45 tons of CO2 over no fixed timescale, an acre should be sufficient. if however, you want to trap 45 tons a year, you need to up that by about a factor of 20.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭dohouch

The last 12 years of flying.
    An acre, doesn't seem too much.

Will have to start " Greta Thunberg Trust ( Irl ) Ltd " as beneficial owner , and get it National Park status so that it endures beyond me.
    That is too much slog for me at the moment, maybe forever:(

Maybe you could point me towards some energetically minded, socially priced, able legal administrative assistants to push me a bit further along the way???????????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

dohouch wrote: »
    Maybe you could point me towards some energetically minded, socially priced,

How much would you be willing to pay for the acre?

Effects wrote: »
    How much would you be willing to pay for the acre?

No, idea. Not I in the business so no idea of what I should expect to pay. Are you offering? If so where and suitability for tree planting. Thanks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,171 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

kinda hard to just buy an acre of land in ireland, the seller would see it as '1 acre SPP' and probably look for €50k - €100k for it.
    anyway, €10k as a round figure for land purchase and 1000 bare root whips, but that's (say) one one twentieth the cost of doing 20 acres.

also, it'll take me a bit of time to dig out the regs, but bizarrely you're not allowed just go and plant that much land; there's a kind of planning permission required now.

• Advertisement

No, idea. Not I in the business so no idea of what I should expect to pay. Are you offering? If so where and suitability for tree planting. Thanks

It's just an idea I had. I've got land in Mayo. Very suitable for planting.

It'll take me a bit of time to dig out the regs, but bizarrely you're not allowed just go and plant that much land; there's a kind of planning permission required now.

I wasn't aware that the regs had changed that much. When I last looked into it I knew about having to keep it certain distances from roads, other dwellings etc.

I met with a couple of forestry advisers but it seemed pointless in the end.
    They looked at me like I had ten heads when I told them I didn't want to plant sitka spruce.

Afforestation – an Afforestation Licence is required for all afforestation projects where the area involved is greater than 0.10 hectares (approximately 0.25 acres);
    https://www.agriculture.gov.ie/forestservice/forestryandthelaw/

so you need a licence to plant more than a quarter of an acre, and it's not trivial to get that licence either, IIRC.

Thanks all, me ol head goes fuzzy at the thought of dealing with regulations and departments. So maybe 4 separate parcels of 1/4 an acre. I'm learning as I go

Have emailed Eamon Ryan- Green Party, maybe he can recruit someone to work through the red-tape

• Advertisement

maybe he can pay someone to do the necessary groundwork?
    the green party do not have funds for that; unless you're supplying the funds maybe.

My funds will pay license/regulatory fees, not lawyers or consultants ,

I want to get another ball rolling. Did check. Carbon offset schemes online, but a too many options put me off. Might go back for another look at those websites.

I wasn't aware that the regs had changed that much. When I last looked into it I knew about having to keep it certain distances from roads, other dwellings etc.

They looked at me like I had ten heads when I told them I didn't want to plant sitka spruce.
    any reason you didn't just start putting trees in the ground yourself? was your plan to create just a natural woodland, or were you looking into growing hardwood for harvesting?

My funds will pay license/regulatory fees, not lawyers or consultants ,
    there are several organisations which might be of assistance, who restore or even try to create woodlands and other habitats; woodland is often mentioned because it's an obvious one, but bogs are also a carbon sink. i'm fairly certain there's a slower return on investment with a bog, in terms of CO2 sequestered per year.

anyway, if you had a reasonable sum of money, it might be worth donating to one of those organisations, who wouldn't (hopefully) be operating on an acre by acre basis.
    it's worth noting - from what i know (i'm a volunteer with one) - they will generally not offer time or money to assist with land which they don't control.

any reason you didn't just start putting trees in the ground yourself? was your plan to create just a natural woodland, or were you looking into growing hardwood for harvesting?

My plan was to plant about 1.5 hectares in total, and get the grant and annual payment for it. A lot of ground to cover if I was just to do it myself, not to mention expense.

Natural woodland, with a mixture of broadleafs and other trees. Some alder around some of the wet/marshy spots. I've no desire to plant anything to make money out of in the future, aside from some trees I can coppice for firewood.

I just want to do something good for the planet, and I love the clear feeling I get in my mind when I'm surrounded by trees.

I already plant a small amount of various trees each year. I put down around 25 apple trees ten years ago, and make cider with the apples.

I give in easily, found a few Irish based projects like, Trees on the Land, The boghill Centre,
    then
    Green-e® Climate- A global third-party certification program for carbon offsets
    http://www.climateactionreserve.org/

So looks like I will go and root round on those sites and see what I can figure out.

Appreciate the replies and added bit of knowledge harvested here.

My plan was to plant about 1.5 hectares in total, and get the grant and annual payment for it. A lot of ground to cover if I was just to do it myself, not to mention expense.
    you could let it spontaneously rewild? maybe plant a few small patches and leave it be?

i'm not aware of anyone who's tried it, but maybe just scatter seed and leave it to take care of itself - now's the time of year to gather seed (if you actually live beside or near the site)

you could let it spontaneously rewild? maybe plant a few small patches and leave it be?

I've already got sections of it that's rewilded. Some bogland as well that's just left to do it's own thing.
    I keep bees there as well, which can be a bit of a headache when I live 200km away!

I need to get some kind of income from the land though, in order to pay for maintenance and repairs.

I'll get the trees planted. It's just a matter of getting the time to research and organise the work.

I've already got sections of it that's rewilded. Some bogland as well that's just left to do it's own thing.
    what has been happening to the land that has been left? what sort of vegetation is appearing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Have emailed Eamon Ryan- Green Party, maybe he can recruit someone to work through the red-tape

Work the regulations/red tape in your favour.

Approach forestry growers groups. Making money from growing trees is hard, especially in the short medium term.

The reason the country is full of sitka is short rotation, low quality land is fine, it has a developed market and requires minimal work in comparison to lots of broadleaves(for the first 15 years I was barely in my 14acre sitka but have nearly names on my best 7 acee ash trees).

There is a deal to be done with farmers, once properly contracted in terms of long term lease in planting small parcels of native trees. It would need a robust legal framework however.

No reason a department couldn't do similar.

how is the ash doing? i'm starting to see a lot of stag headed ash appearing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

how is the ash doing? i'm starting to see a lot of stag headed ash appearing.

Very good, probably one of the best young private ash plantations in the country; that said with the knowledge I could be met by ash dieback any day.

The difference between the ash and the immediately adjacent sitka is pretty stark. In the ash I have seen (some quite regularly) badger, deer, hare, pine Martens and who knows how many types of birds and insects etc.

The sitka once canopy closed is a desert.

The short ash growing season with our mild climate really gives undergrowth a chance

but have nearly names on my best 7 acee ash trees).
    Geez I'll have to plant my Chestnut trees close to my bed so I can give them a cuddle during the night.:eek:

Have made contact with the Green Economy Foundation, and have hopes that they can help absorb some of my exhausts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

kinda hard to just buy an acre of land in ireland, the seller would see it as '1 acre SPP' and probably look for €50k - €100k for it.
    anyway, €10k as a round figure for land purchase and 1000 bare root whips, but that's (say) one one twentieth the cost of doing 20 acres.

also, it'll take me a bit of time to dig out the regs, but bizarrely you're not allowed just go and plant that much land; there's a kind of planning permission required now.

No it isn't that hard.
    There is plenty of agricultural land for sale, the price of marginal agricultural land suitable for planting is about 3k/acre.

It would be relatively hard to find a plot less than 10acres for sale though, you're best bet would be to go in with a farmer buying something larger and split. Since it's for planting long term with no intention to harvest you'd only have to negotiate access for the initial planting and pedestrian access. A far away corner of a plot would do.

No it isn't that hard.
    It would be relatively hard
    not sure if you're agreeing or disagreeing with me!

No it isn't that hard.
    There is plenty of agricultural land for sale, the price of marginal agricultural land suitable for planting is about 3k/acre.

The idea of having my acre of wood long term appeals to me greatly. Unfortunately , my gardening experiences, to date, have not been noteworthy for their output.:mad::o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Very good, probably one of the best young private ash plantations in the country; that said with the knowledge I could be met by ash dieback any day.

The difference between the ash and the immediately adjacent sitka is pretty stark. In the ash I have seen (some quite regularly) badger, deer, hare, pine Martens and who knows how many types of birds and insects etc.

The sitka once canopy closed is a desert.

The short ash growing season with our mild climate really gives undergrowth a chance

If the ash continues to grow well it will smother out the undergrowth in the next year or two, at eight years there was nothing growing under mine, oak is the same, the alder seems to lose its lower branches quickly and there is lots of undergrowth with it, despite it being 8-10 meters high

No it isn't that hard.

It would be relatively hard to find a plot less than 10acres for sale though, you're best bet would be to go in with a farmer buying something larger and split. Since it's for planting long term with no intention to harvest you'd only have to negotiate access for the initial planting and pedestrian access. A far away corner of a plot would do.

Forestry is a commercial activity so you would need the correct right of way to access the land, 10 acres of hard wood would produce a lot of thinnings within the first twenty years, so you would need access for a tractor at least

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

If you leave the land to its own devices trees will grow anyway.

Get one of the Teagasc forestry advisors to look at the land, they will give you impartial advice on what to plant, plant it yourself and get a registered forester to do the paperwork. The bigger forestry companies only see things from a commercial side.

if you want to know what to plant, i reckon it's simple. have a wander around the area and see what native species are doing well there.
    and collect seed locally, it'll be more likely to enjoy the conditions.

i know a chap with some land at carna in connemara. he got a load of rowan - not locally - which really did not thrive there. but the stuff he collected from seed locally was quite happy, he assumes it was salt on the wind which the 'imported' rowan couldn't cope with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,107 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

easypazz wrote: »
    If you leave the land to its own devices trees will grow anyway.

it's a constant battle to stop sycamores taking root in my small suburban garden, I'm surprised the country isn't covered in them.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

loyatemu wrote: »
    it's a constant battle to stop sycamores taking root in my small suburban garden, I'm surprised the country isn't covered in them.
    Loads of those seeds down here this evening.
    Wind will take them all over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

OP

Would you consider paying someone else to plant the trees on their land? So pay for the tree/tree guard/post, cone up with a price and then pay/donate to have them planted.

Would it be important for you to actually be able to visit the trees? Or would you be happy if you just knew that they were growing and had some pics/videos.

I am asking because there are lots of people around Ireland who are planting their land with native trees, and get zero incentive from the government, and these trees will never be harvested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 RioSafari

I just buy a few tree for these guys to plant every time I have to fly...I can't post links but look up hometree in Clare

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

for me the cost of planting trees is working out to 3 euro per tree = fencing post/drainage pipe guard/2 big cable ties per tree.

Thankfully I don't have to buy the trees as I have grown them.

200 dug out and planted this month.

There is a campaign on YouTube to raise 20 million to plant 20 million trees by the end of the year, OP you could donate to that.

Advertisement