Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    :p

Stop the bulls**t. Do people think it is cool to say they dont watch RTE?

No people are honestly fed up with RTÉ so they try to avoid it as much as possible. The politics is another issue IMHO and not how I look at it.

The number of repeats, the continual aren't we wonderful marketing "where in this together" .... "because .... we are so brilliant", the missery = entertainment formula that they push on every show that they produce, lack of original drama, no comedy (look at comic releif list of Celebs, NO NEW COMIC NEED APPLY), celebrity culture, the one question from Tub's interview with Soarise, was "Has Normal People got to you up there in Scotland yet?" FFS it was produced by Screen Ireland, BBC and Hulu not RTÉ and the ****ing national broadcaster is the BBC in Scotland!

I'd have watch Normal People only for RTÉ.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭tallaghtfornia

No people are honestly fed up with RTÉ so they try to avoid it as much as possible. The politics is another issue IMHO and not how I look at it

Thanks Elmo could not have put it better.

I reluctantly pay the licence fee as I stay within the law however I do not watch RTE and have no interest in there services.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭rightmove

Thanks Elmo could not have put it better.

I reluctantly pay the licence fee as I stay within the law however I do not watch RTE and have no interest in there services.

you shouldnt have to pay for a service you dont use, especially a service that is totally bias. I actually resent paying. If they took the money and used it for water services I would be happy but not rte.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭tallaghtfornia

rightmove wrote: »
    you shouldnt have to pay for a service you dont use, especially a service that is totally bias. I actually resent paying. If they took the money and used it for water services I would be happy but not rte.

RTE is a gravy train and always has been take a look at there board of directors.
    The licence fee will always be collected in some shape or form

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

rightmove wrote: »

How does that work? the government has all sorts of services that people use and dont use. IS the new rule now you only pay for the ones you want? :P

• Advertisement

How does that work? the government has all sorts of services that people use and dont use. IS the new rule now you only pay for the ones you want? :P

Water is one you need! (I disagree with water charges)

But all government run institutions should have some criticism levelled at them, their is no point paying for a service that doesn't seem to want to reform.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

fan wrote: »

Clean head shot there Shef....I would not go so far as to call the cats you refer to as
    "Entitled Tools" but the notion that you only pay for the services you use is laughable.!

The greatest problem with RTE is the obscene wedges some merely competent presenters are trousering.

Think Duffy,D'Arcy,George Lee, Dobbo and many many more....there is a strange reluctance from them in authority either in Government or in the Stn itself to confront this.

Why ?.......I wonder ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Elmo wrote: »
    Water is one you need! (I disagree with water charges)

But all government run institutions should have some criticism levelled at them, their is no point paying for a service that doesn't seem to want to reform.

I actually supported the water charges :-)

I actually supported the water charges :-)

Good for you but does that prevent criticism of Irish Water and the way that it was established?

Same goes for RTÉ, it seems to me RTÉ are beyond criticism and its laughable to think you criticise it in some way if you use it service or it must be a joke when you say you don't use its service.

There'll always be some who disagree with the Licence or the funding of any public service media, and that's fine but not to critical think of the problems that RTÉ face because of their own inaction and fail to consider the inaction of government and regulators is absurd.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,129 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Someone posted on this thread about the huge number of special correspondents rte seem to have, and you can bet they are all on very tasty wages.

Something really struck me today listening to the News At One on the radio.

The person anchoring the News mentioned the basic facts about the main headlines....maybe 3 stories. Can't remember who it was today, let's say it was Áine Lawlor for arguments sake.

She then said we'll hand over to Brian Jennings for the News.

Brian then read out the same stuff that Áine had just read, perhaps adding a couple of extra lines, or padding if you will.

And then within each story Brian said we'll go to 'such and such' for more on this. So he then handed us to a 3rd person who proceeded to repeat what Brian had said and added more padding.

This is the format for the News on rte all the time from what I can see, especially radio.

Could Áine not just have read it all out, without the need for 2 others to basically tell us the same details with extra padding?

It's worth a listen back armed with his in your head, and then it really stinks of jobs for the boys/girls. It could only happen in an organisation that doesn't have to account for it's spending.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

NIMAN wrote: »
    Someone posted on this thread about the huge number of special correspondents rte seem to have, and you can bet they are all on very tasty wages.

The person anchoring the News mentioned the basic facts about the main headlines....maybe 3 stories. Can't remember who it was today, let's say it was Áine Lawlor for arguments sake.

Brian then read out the same stuff that Áine had just read, perhaps adding a couple of extra lines, or padding if you will.

And then within each story Brian said we'll go to 'such and such' for more on this. So he then handed us to a 3rd person who proceeded to repeat what Brian had said and added more padding.

This is the format for the News on rte all the time from what I can see, especially radio.

Could Áine not just have read it all out, without the need for 2 others to basically tell us the same details with extra padding?

It's worth a listen back armed with his in your head, and then it really stinks of jobs for the boys/girls. It could only happen in an organisation that doesn't have to account for it's spending.

Same with the RTE radio, never passed much notice with all the different presenters until i seen it on the News Now TV channel one morning, now this was before this covid 19.
    You had 2 main presenters, someone to read the news headlines, another to read out the newspaper headlines, another for the sport headlines.
    So you had 5 RTE staff doing what 1 person could do.

It just goes to show what a Government cheque book can do..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Depends on what you call the "padding" and where it comes from I think. If they are doing more work than just reading stuff out for the news (?) I don't really see the problem.

A backroom person doing churnalism with headlines/sections from Irish corporate & govt. press releases combined with items cut whole cloth from international/UK media + easy on the ear presenter to read it all out would be cheaper, but might not be of any value for the money spent on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Tis the montrose soviet a state within a state shielded from vagaries of the mother state forever cocooned in their own little perfect world

I've commented something similar on this thread about the six one or nine o'clock news, where they send Ingrid Miley out to the labour court or the Dail to report on unfolding events.

Aside from the irritation of her talking while the 46A drives past drowning her out, considering at 9pm to get from Kildare street to Montrose takes about ten minutes i really have to question the need for her to be there. She probably has a sound engineer and producer with her as well.

Would it not make more sense to phone in your report if you couldn't get back to the studio in time?

Its like yer one they sent out to salthill promenade to report on the big storm. There was no need for it when every wheelie bin in the country had already been blown over or brought in.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,382 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The actors they have brought in for Liveline is taking the piss, today they had a male and a female reading out supposed letters that listeners has sent in, whoy, whoy, whoy so to speak.

The actors they have brought in for Liveline is taking the piss, today they had a male and a female reading out supposed letters that listeners has sent in, whoy, whoy, whoy so to speak.

Because you can take the man out of Ballyfermot but you can't take Ballyfermot out of the man, and despite his significant salary he has really appalling diction and pronunciation.

They've started accepting these emails and letters, in this caller driven show and so perhaps it was thought for complex issues to bring in a voice actor. Id fully expect Joe to pronounce that popular messenger app as Snapcat. Now, whoy they need a small army of them is beyond me.

Its like yer one they sent out to salthill promenade to report on the big storm. There was no need for it when every wheelie bin in the country had already been blown over or brought in.[/QUOTE]

And made a big celebrity out of her after that, could only happen in RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,285 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Loiveline has become one staged show after another these days - a prepared letter voiced by an actor then later in the show a response voiced by another actor and basically ignored the matter the whole program bar one or two callers that made it thru the spam filter
    And that's before you even start on about Joe Duffy
    There was a time when the show was driven by people calling in with issues - now it's driven by what RTE want discussed

fritzelly wrote: »
    Loiveline has become one staged show after another these days - a prepared letter voiced by an actor then later in the show a response voiced by another actor and basically ignored the matter the whole program bar one or two callers that made it thru the spam filter
    And that's before you even start on about Joe Duffy
    There was a time when the show was driven by people calling in with issues - now it's driven by what RTE want discussed

Or subjects that Joe knows about. Which is a relatively short list comprising:

Abuse in various schools
    Fire Engines
    Gerry Ryan
    And er...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

fritzelly wrote: »
    ...now it's driven by what RTE want discussed

As they become the self appointed moral police of the country.

• Advertisement

Or subjects that Joe knows about. Which is a relatively short list comprising:

Abuse in various schools
    Fire Engines
    Gerry Ryan
    And er...

Free promoting of his own books and the new book of his crooked ex TD buddie.

And don't forget the great Mrs Brown Boys.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,285 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

mgn wrote: »
    Free promoting of his own books and the new book of his crooked ex TD buddie.

And don't forget the great Mrs Brown Boys.

That whole thing was so shameless you get the feeling they think they are untouchable (few days later the man in question who can "barely walk" is lifting scooters and doing exercises and wearing lace up trainers)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Here’s the correspondent list (just from the SixOne News), though I’ve given up on adding to it lately, there’s a few more I saw yesterday that are not yet on the list.....

Tony Connolly - Europe
    Michael Lihane - Politics
    Seán MAC an tSÍTHIGH
    Pascal Sheehy - Southern
    Ingrid Miley - Industry & Employment
    Theresa Manion - West
    Paul Cunningham - Politics
    Sean Whelan - London
    George Lee - Science
    Ciaran Mullooly -
    Samantha Librairi
    Vincent Kearney - Northern Ireland
    Tommy Gorman - Belfast
    Emma O’Kelly - Education?
    Brian O’Donovan - Washington/U.S.
    Juliet Gash
    Albha Kineally
    Eleanor Mannion
    Fran McNulty - Agriculture
    Dimitri O’Donnell
    Eamonn Horan
    Conor Kane - Southeast
    Pat McGrath - Western
    Kathy O’Halloran
    Robert Short - Economics
    Sinead Crowley
    Helen Donohue
    Conor Hunt
    Fergal O’Brien
    Sinead Hussey
    Jackie Fox
    Laura Fletcher
    Gail Conway
    Justin Treacy - Sport?
    Philip Bromwell
    Fergal Bowers - Health
    Dyane Connor
    John Kilraine
    Coleman O'Sullivan
    Joe Stack - Sport (and Kerry lotto)
    Eileen Magnier
    Adam McGuire
    Aengus Cox
    Petula Martyn
    Brian Finn
    Kate Egan
    Claire McNamara
    Tommy Mescall
    Orla O Donnell
    Sharon Gaffney
    Dave Kelly
    Paul Reynolds - Crime
    Will Goodbody - Technology

That’s 50 (there are more) and let’s say at an average salary of €50k works out at least €2,500,000 (or 15,625 TV Licences)

Add to that all the expenses they’d incur, particularly those in London, Brussels & Washington etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Here’s the correspondent list (just from the SixOne News), though I’ve given up on adding to it lately, there’s a few more I saw yesterday that are not yet on the list.....

Tony Connolly - Europe
    Michael Lihane - Politics
    Paul Reynolds - Crime
    Will Goodbody - Technology

That’s 50 (there are more) and let’s say at an average salary of €50k works out at least €2,500,000 (or 15,625 TV Licences)

Add to that all the expenses they’d incur, particularly those in London, Brussels & Washington etc...

That is substantial to say the least.

And I'd say they're on a lot more than €50,000, I'd say between €60k and €70k

That's a lot bread.. :eek:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I've not been counting a lot of the sports correspondents, who'll be all appearing again shortly, and there's a few more regular news correspondents I've seen in the last few days that I didn't add to the list (couldn't be ar$ed really), but I might try and add them over the next few days!

its just a Note I have on my iphone that I'll add a name to when I see a new one.

But yeah, 50 and counting! I'd say in total theres probably around 70 when you add in all the sports folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

The sports dept seem to have just closed up shop for the last few months apart from Des and his desert island vehicle with the usual subjects. Sat sport completely given over to wall to wall music while the OTB crew kept the show on the road with interesting discussions, picking teams etc. Imv keeping the sports programmes going would have been much more condusive to public health and morale in that it provides an escape mentally from the wall to wall covid coverage basically saying the same thing over and over. Who wants to be lookin at that stuff before bed every night

• Registered Users Posts: 8,281 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

The sports dept seem to have just closed up shop for the last few months apart from Des and his desert island vehicle with the usual subjects. Sat sport completely given over to wall to wall music while the OTB crew kept the show on the road with interesting discussions, picking teams etc. Imv keeping the sports programmes going would have been much more condusive to public health and morale in that it provides an escape mentally from the wall to wall covid coverage basically saying the same thing over and over. Who wants to be lookin at that stuff before bed every night

Joanne Cantwell does the Sunday Game now. As in, RTE have started showing it again, with a mix of interviews and so on.

It's bizarre RTE felt they needed to keep that show going, despite having nothing to show on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Because you can take the man out of Ballyfermot but you can't take Ballyfermot out of the man, and despite his significant salary he has really appalling diction and pronunciation.

They've started accepting these emails and letters, in this caller driven show and so perhaps it was thought for complex issues to bring in a voice actor. Id fully expect Joe to pronounce that popular messenger app as Snapcat. Now, whoy they need a small army of them is beyond me.

He's never had any complaints - according to himself!

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/who-the-hell-knows-what-the-public-are-going-for-1.58641

"WHO knows what the public are going to go for." Gay Byrne was quoting Hollywood screenwriter Willam Goldman, in response to a question about the sort of format which might succeed in drawing a younger listenership to Radio 1.
    "It looks like we are going to try something different. We'll see how it works," he said. He recalled that he had been criticised four or five years ago for saying there was too much talk on Radio I. "From 7.30 a.m. to 2.45 p.m. it's all talk." It now seemed people at RTE were coming around to that view.

He spoke of the greater spread of audience now with 26 new stations and the advent of Radio Ireland. The latter, he felt, probably presented "the biggest problem for RTE". He believes Radio Ireland will face "a ferocious uphill battle" and that its biggest difficulty will be staying in business long enough to hold on.

But he believes much of the criticism of Radio 1 is "a bit unfair". Its listenership losses were from "fantastically high figures", whereas growth for the other stations came from a very low base. And when these other stations wanted to target Radio 1, they did so with talk radio, despite being critical of it for having too much talk.

By doing this they had done the opposite of what people had said they wanted in surveys. "People never do what they say they will in surveys, anyway, Mr Byrne said. And still the top six radio shows most listened to in the country were on Radio 1. These are Morning Ireland - including the 8 and 9 a.m. bulletins - The Gay Byrne Show, News at One, The Gerry Ryan Show, Liveline and The Pat Kenny Show, in that order.

He agreed his proposed swap with Pat Kenny was "in a way a voluntary handing over of the baton". But he did not know what would happen where Joe Duffy was concerned. He thought it was "more likely Joe will be reporting for The Pat Kenny Show".

He appreciated "hugely" Mr Duffy's contribution his show. "A great adjunct to the programme," was how he described him. For years they had been anxious to get the programme out of the studio and had tried out many people, "but as soon as Joe came along I knew he was the one to do it".

Through him they had managed to get out and about, which he did "extremely well". It had been said to Mr Byrne by some that Mr Duffy's strong Dublin accent was not appreciated by listeners down the country. It is not a view he shares.
    THE proposed schedule change for the autumn has not been discussed with Pat Kenny at all. All he knows is that he will "have a prominent place in the schedule" then, following a recent assurance from the Director of Programming, Mr Kevin Healy. In that context Mr Kenny did not wish to comment until the changes were confirmed.

Joe Duffy has no idea what is to become of him, as no one has spoken to him so far. It seemed everything was up in the air, then all settled, and Joe was missing in action in Aran actually," he said. He had been doing an outside broadcast from Inishmaan this week. He is on a yearly contract which expires in December.
    "Why are they dumping me?" he asked. "They cannot fault my figures, or my work rate. I've had a big input when it comes to ideas. They cannot say I'm incompetent, and I have never been caught out saying something stupid on air. I want to know why. The staff are asking me why" he said.

His accent "is not a Dublin accent, it is a Dublin working class accent", he said. "Yet no one had ever phoned in to complain and never, in 7 1/2 years on The Gay Byrne Show, travelling the length and breadth of the country, never once have I been pulled up, challenged, sneered at or jeered at because of my accent. It doesn't feature."

He can see no reason to change the existing Gay Byrne Show format. "Why change a winning formula?" he asked. "It is a very particular, almost unique brand." The show is "the best thing going for the station". He can see "nothing wrong" with it, pointing out that young people like "good radio, not just music," and he felt no shame that 90 per cent of the over 555 listened to the programme.
    HE was critical of the lack of promotion of Radio 1 as a station, compared, for instance, to the promotion of 2FM. Radio 1 didn't have a logo until a year ago, and it had no head, unlike all the other RTE stations. While Mr Healy oversees Radio I, he also has responsibility for 2FM, FM3 and Radio na Gaeltachta, each of which has its own head. "There's no one to bat for Radio 1," Mr Duffy said.
    But what upset him most was to hear Gay Byrne saying he was tired and would do whatever RTE wanted him to do. Joe Duffy's reaction was one of disbelief, "that a man of his stature and calibre, a man who had challenged the RTE Authority itself on the abortion issue and who has taken on politicians every day of the week, was now tired.

"What I loved about Gay was his passion and energy, his instincts, his concern for the underdog." The "you wouldn't ever go up there and see if Brendan Smyth will talk to you" audacity of the man. "There will never be anybody as big [in broadcasting] as Gaybo again. For infinity. For all sorts of reasons.

He is "upset for Gay, upset he feels that way. I am sorry that he does feel tired. There was such fight in him. I still worship the water he walks on."

No, he is not upset at Gay. Why should he be? "Gay has his own pressures and concerns. He is not my boss, Kevin Healy is. He is not my employer, RTE is."
    But Joe Duffy is not tired, and he has no problem getting up at 6 a.m. "It is not the presenters who are tired" at RTE, he said, "it is the items they do. The presenters should not be scapegoated".

The Gay Byrne Show will continue until Friday week, June 28th, by coincidence the same day the RTE Authority will decide whether to implement the proposed new schedule. The programme will be presented by Joe Duffy each day until then, as Gay Byrne finished last Friday. He will, however, return for the final programme.

I'd say he never reads boards then but we know he does, as do the show's producers and researchers. Great to kow he's as deluded and detached as ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

That is substantial to say the least.

And I'd say they're on a lot more than €50,000, I'd say between €60k and €70k

That's a lot bread.. :eek:

You're seriously underestimating salaries in RTE if that's what you think they're on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,487 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Tony Connolly is literally the only person on that list likely to be poached by another news organisation

Advertisement