Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Increase Protein intake

Options
  • 18-10-2019 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭

I need to significantly increase my protein intake and I’m finding it quite difficult. In terms of meat I generally eat a chicken fillet for dinner and 2 slices of ham or turkey in my sandwich at lunch.

Aside from eating a lot more meat, are there other ways I can get to around 160g per day? Without causing serious constipation preferably

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,558 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Gael23 wrote: »
    I need to significantly increase my protein intake and I’m finding it quite difficult. In terms of meat I generally eat a chicken fillet for dinner and 2 slices of ham or turkey in my sandwich at lunch.

Aside from eating a lot more meat, are there other ways I can get to around 160g per day? Without causing serious constipation preferably

Where did you get 160kg from?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Where did you get 160kg from?

Because I’m trying to lose weight I need an excess of the normal calculation

Because I’m trying to lose weight I need an excess of the normal calculation

What's it based on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

Eggs are a great source of protein and make a great breakfast protein although its still an animal source . Other than that your options are quite limited. You could have some Greek yogurt , Cottage cheese or supplement with protein powder. What are your stats. Height/weight . You may not need 160g

By the way just to add meat isn't unhealthy, in case that's what you were thinking

• Advertisement

Minime2.5 wrote: »
    Eggs are a great source of protein and make a great breakfast protein although its still an animal source . Other than that your options are quite limited. You could have some Greek yogurt , Cottage cheese or supplement with protein powder. What are your stats. Height/weight . You may not need 160g

28 year old male. 5ft6 weigh 12 stone

28 year old male. 5ft6 weigh 12 stone

Post up what a typical diet is for you

At 5ft 6 a good weight to aim for is 10 stone(140lbs or 66.6kg) but believe it or not you may not even have enough muscle on your body for this weight so you may need to build up to it. Here's a good initial goal/plan

At your height 2000 calories is around maintenance for you so I'd shoot for that daily or maybe a slight deficet to 1750 and create the rest of the deficit with your training

For training google Strong lifts or starting strength and do either of them , they are basic but the best for building a base for beginners

Regards measuring fatloss, invest in a tape measure or myotape and measure around your belly button in a relaxed state . I reckon its at 36 or 37 inches right now. Your goal is to get to 29.5 , youll probably be below 10 stone when you reach this milestone but thats when your focus will shift from fatloss to muscle building

Regards protein 100-120g is enough for you

Post up what you typically eat in a day, there is no need to do a major over haul. All thats maybe needed is a slight adjustment up in protein and a slight adjustment down in calories

Minime2.5 wrote: »
    Post up what a typical diet is for you

At 5ft 6 a good weight to aim for is 10 stone(140lbs or 66.6kg) but believe it or not you may not even have enough muscle on your body for this weight so you may need to build up to it. Here's a good initial goal/plan

At your height 2000 calories is around maintenance for you so I'd shoot for that daily or maybe a slight deficet to 1750 and create the rest of the deficit with your training

For training google Strong lifts or starting strength and do either of them , they are basic but the best for building a base for beginners

Regards measuring fatloss, invest in a tape measure or myotape and measure around your belly button in a relaxed state . I reckon its at 36 or 37 inches right now. Your goal is to get to 29.5 , youll probably be below 10 stone when you reach this milestone but thats when your focus will shift from fatloss to muscle building

Regards protein 100-120g is enough for you

Post up what you typically eat in a day, there is no need to do a major over haul. All thats maybe needed is a slight adjustment up in protein and a slight adjustment down in calories

Typical day, with some variations
    Breakfast 50g of cereal with milk. 2 slices of brown soda bread with butter and jam
    Lunch: Sandwich with 2 slices of white bread, butter, a small amount of cheese and a slice of ham or turkey. Plus a biscuit or chocolate bar
    Dinner: 3 potatoes, a carrot and a chicken fillet or other piece of meat, can vary.
    Will usually eat a chocolate bar after dinner

How was the 160kg of protein arrived at?

Calories and macro breakdown and why the need to go over and above just because you're lowering your calories?

Just curious of the rationale.

Plenty of protein options...eggs, fish, meat etc. Whoever gave the advice on the macro breakdowns etc should be advising as well if they're working with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭geotrig

Typical day, with some variations
    Breakfast 50g of cereal with milk. 2 slices of brown soda bread with butter and jam
    Lunch: Sandwich with 2 slices of white bread, butter, a small amount of cheese and a slice of ham or turkey. Plus a biscuit or chocolate bar
    Dinner: 3 potatoes, a carrot and a chicken fillet or other piece of meat, can vary.
    Will usually eat a chocolate bar after dinner
    I wouldn't worry about protein, plenty you could change there
    .cut the bars and biscuits, it's very loose and that could easily be 500- 600 , 2 bars average 250k ea ,could even cut some of that bread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

Regarding having something sweet after something savoury: it's a habit that can be broken easily, and it would make a huge difference in terms of losing fat and maintaining energy levels equilibrium. Give it a try, and I reckon after a week you'll have it broken. When the craving hits, remember that they only last 10/15 minutes, and occupy yourself with something else for that time.

geotrig wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry about protein, plenty you could change there
    .cut the bars and biscuits, it's very loose and that could easily be 500- 600 , 2 bars average 250k ea ,could even cut some of that bread

I need to take a packed lunch to work so bread is convenient I suppose in that respect. I could cut the soda bread, I just eat that because it’s there.
    Could I do something simple like eating 2 pieces of chicken instead of one?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭geotrig

I think you can plan your lunches better and could add a breast of chicken if you want but I'd see other changes that could help with fat loss /lower calories
    What cereal are you eating? there is a big difference between coco pops and porridge !!
    You need to cut the bars and biscuits... No one ever eats just one biscuit lol..
    Like alf said I just don't see why the focus upon on protein n when you are trying to lose weight and there are good easy options to elimate 1st.

geotrig wrote: »
    I think you can plan your lunches better and could add a breast of chicken if you want but I'd see other changes that could help with fat loss /lower calories
    What cereal are you eating? there is a big difference between coco pops and porridge !!
    You need to cut the bars and biscuits... No one ever eats just one biscuit lol..

Like alf said I just don't see why the focus upon on protein n when you are trying to lose weight and there are good easy options to elimate 1st.

There doesn't need to be a focus on protein but he needs to make sure he gets in at least 100g . It's not just weight loss he's after it's fat loss. He doesn't want to be loosing muscle . Lifting weights will go a long way towards ensuring that but so will getting in adequate protein . He needs to strike a balance between what he enjoys eating being in a deficit and getting adequate protein . IIFYM makes this very sustainable so perhaps half the chocolate/ biscuits but I wouldn't cut them out completely other wise you could go in the other direction and binge

Advertisement