Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HD Satellite Kit €50 in B&Q

Options
  • 18-02-2011 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭

Ross receiver + dish -

from what I could make out from the box it's this receiver
    (receiver on it's own selling for £61.48 on uk site)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Good price alright but just bear in mind its not a freesat box so no 7 day programme guide or red button interactive services.At €50 though even the receiver on is own is a good deal.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

Sorry Tony could you explain please for the technophobes (me)just what it does :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭meercat

fitted one today for a mate of mine
    easy install and set up
    couldnt fault receiver either
    cheap system and does job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭emptyshed

Its free to air satelite receiver.
    I got 2 the last time they had them, both working great still.

In Ireland they pick up the Astra 2 satellite and Eurobird satelite....assuming its english speaking channells ya want)
    (Depending on whats around your place, i.e. if there's high buildings etc they could block signal.

Around 300 english speaking channells including ITV, Channel 4 ,BBC, and all the regional variations, eg. wales, scotland, london etc.
    lots of terrible god and shopping channels. (No irish stations though, eg. rte, tv3 etc... but ya can tune them in via ariel)

I have about 8 film channels, most old films, probably 6 news channells, a few music channels etc.... oh it also does radio stations, mostly uk ones if I remember.

I probably only flick through about 10 channells, but they are free, no bills.

Go to satelite finder.com (I think), put in your address and see if you can get coverage).

Handy enough to install...ideally if you can see your tv...or have a small portable tv close e to dish while installling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

This is pretty good, I've maybe this one or the older model, Picks up BBC, ITV and Luxe in HD, Great quaility picture too.

The channel interface isn't great compared to a sky box, but hey it's much cheaper!

It's also got a PVR function ( well mine has ) you can recored/pause/rewind TV you need a memory stick though, formatted to fat 32 iirc!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,053 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

It's an ok box

pvr feature very basic but works most of the time

it will need to be retuned every so often to keep the channel list up to date

It picks up free to air HD and standard satellite channels using a dish basicially.

Hope this helps, lots of info in the satellite forum here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?daysprune=&forumid=55

moonshadow wrote: »
    Sorry Tony could you explain please for the technophobes (me)just what it does :(

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Bizzi Lizzy

Quick question, I have one of the Lidl dishes installed, and if I bought this one would I need to change the dish or could I just use the one that I have up already?

You can use existing dish, i'd take a look at the mounting though, the lidl mounts tend to break a lot.

Quick question, I have one of the Lidl dishes installed, and if I bought this one would I need to change the dish or could I just use the one that I have up already?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

Got it today. Will I be able to tune in RTE2 HD? I can watch it via coaxial via my Samsung LE40C750, but the picture messes up a fair bit and the audio is annoying when this happens.

My Dad says it is the TV lines outside, that they are old but they are OK for analogue but not digital.

• Advertisement

CorkMan wrote: »
    Got it today. Will I be able to tune in RTE2 HD? I can watch it via coaxial via my Samsung LE40C750, but the picture messes up a fair bit and the audio is annoying when this happens.

My Dad says it is the TV lines outside, that they are old but they are OK for analogue but not digital.

No you'll only get uk channels
    http://www.lyngsat.com/28east.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

CorkMan wrote: »
    Got it today. Will I be able to tune in RTE2 HD?

This is a satellite system.

You'll only receive RTE via an aerial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭tmcw

With a suitable dish/lnb, will it allow the channels on Saorsat to be viewed? (if/when they're available).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭gazzer

Are these for sale in all B&Q stores or just certain ones? I will be up in Dublin later and wouldnt mind picking up one of these

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Mr Keek

tmcw wrote: »
    With a suitable dish/lnb, will it allow the channels on Saorsat to be viewed? (if/when they're available).

No, it will only allow you to watch the UK Freesat channels, and a couple of HD ones like BBC HD BBC1 HD, ITV1 HD and Channel4 HD in April. You'll get all these channels http://www.freesat.co.uk/what-you-get/our-channels

The point Tony made earlier is that this box is not a branded Freesat Box and by that he means, you will not be able to view a 7 Day TV guide, only a Now & Next Program. And the Channels will not up date them selves i.e Channel4 HD launches in April, with this box you will have to reTune it for C4 HD, with a freesat box it will update itself when you switch it on,

Most the Freesat Boxs with HD are over €100 so this is really good value. With a PRV, you will be able to record programs onto a USB Stick or External Hard Drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭Invincible

No,you will not receive the Saorview channels on this,there is a dual receiver mentioned in the terrestrial forum here that has an MPEG4 tuner built in and willalso recieve Satellite channels.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055836245

Guys, also very worth while checking out Board's very own Adverts site for this stuff, even an old Sky bix will so the trick for these channels. Some great bargins to be had

http://www.adverts.ie/for-sale/electronics/satellite/251/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,766 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I got this box before when it was 120euro, the dish is fine but the box isnt great its quite slow when your flicking channels. I picked up a freesat box in Maplin for 50euro and it works brilliantly, just plug the new box in instead of this box.

If it happens it will probably be suitable

I think TMCW was reffering to the soon to be launched saorsat service which is aimed at prople who cannot get Saorview terrestrial reception. This receiver in theory should also work with saorsat but it will mean either a separate dish or a multi lnb set up. As saorsat will be using a different frequency band called KA band it will need a different LNB. The LNB is the thing that goes on the end of the arm on the dish that the cable connects to.

Lots of info on this in the satellite forum.

• Advertisement

Invincible wrote: »
    No,you will not receive the Saorview channels on this,there is a dual receiver mentioned in the terrestrial forum here that has an MPEG4 tuner built in and willalso recieve Satellite channels.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055836245

Thanks for the replies, but I did say Saorsat, but probably premature to ask given it's not available yet.

Couldn't care less about the EPG, find them cumbersome and slow (detest the Sky boxes and their EPG) and prefer to include and line up my channels how I want; in fact, I'd have to be jumping in and out of Freesat mode with a Freesat box, as I view other sat positions like 26E and 19E, so a FTA box is really what I want.

I must do a search and see if I can see any reviews or videos of it working. Thanks again.

EDIT: Thanks Tony and Ghost Train.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭norbert64

Ricky91t wrote: »
    This is pretty good, I've maybe this one or the older model, Picks up BBC, ITV and Luxe in HD, Great quaility picture too.

The channel interface isn't great compared to a sky box, but hey it's much cheaper!

It's also got a PVR function ( well mine has ) you can recored/pause/rewind TV you need a memory stick though, formatted to fat 32 iirc!
    It's an ok box

pvr feature very basic but works most of the time

it will need to be retuned every so often to keep the channel list up to date
    What video format does she record in, and what's the quality like.
    Also, any chance it's a simple copy and paste .ts files to PC jobby, like the HUMAX? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Can the dish be used with a Dreambox for those typical uses by people?

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Bizzi Lizzy

Tony wrote: »
    You can use existing dish, i'd take a look at the mounting though, the lidl mounts tend to break a lot.

Thanks Tony, I already have had to replace the mount on the Lidl dish, had it about a year when it broke.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭breaux

I got this box before when it was 120euro, the dish is fine but the box isnt great its quite slow when your flicking channels. I picked up a freesat box in Maplin for 50euro and it works brilliantly, just plug the new box in instead of this box.
    There is no way in the wide world you got a FREESAT box in Maplins for €50 (at least not in the good 'ol ROI)................more like €450.!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

breaux wrote: »
    There is no way in the wide world you got a FREESAT box in Maplins for €50 (at least not in the good 'ol ROI)................more like €450.!!!!!
    Well definitely not a freesat HD anyway.

I would imagine they probably meant Freesat SD box.
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/grundig-freesat-sd-digital-box-261705
    Could have been a sale over Xmas with a big discount?

Getting back to the OP and his kit, if you can wait until Wednesday and provided they still have the stock, we could get one of our parents to pop in and use there Over 60's card to get 10% off the price.
    Mind you, is this kit already discounted, as they may not let you double up?

BTW, after a little more investigating, I discovered that the receiver does indeed record using transport streams, in 2 GB chunks.

norbert64 wrote: »
    BTW, after a little more investigating, I discovered that the receiver does indeed record using transport streams, in 2 GB chunks.

Was looking for some info myself on your earlier question, found a manual on the Ross website, but it didn't mention any details like this. Would you mind pointing me to where you found your info about the transport streams? Thanks.

Was looking for some info myself on your earlier question, found a manual on the Ross website, but it didn't mention any details like this. Would you mind pointing me to where you found your info about the transport streams? Thanks.
    Didn't find any official specs I'm afraid. I just happened upon a few message boards like this one, where existing owners talk about it
    http://www.digitaltvbanter.co.uk/uk-tech-digital-tv-digital/27920-ross-hd-box-timer-recording.html

I imagine it would be the same principal for this kit too. :cool:

• Advertisement

Got this Pack yesterday, just got it for the Decoder Box itself for my bedroom, we've the Humax Foxsat HDR down in the livingroom.

At €50 for a HD box that records, this is an absolute bargain. Thanks OP.

Got mine in B&Q Galway, they were out of stock so I had to order and pay for it at the customer service desk. Expecting a call from them on the 25th. They did mention that the €50 price tag ends either yesterday or today, if you want this at this price, then get yer skates on!

Advertisement