Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Triax MPEG-4 DTT Receiver & HD Satellite and SD DTT MPEG 4 Combi Receiver

Options
  • 23-02-2010 3:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,481 ✭✭✭✭

Triax have launched two products for the Irish market, a basic zapper box, the TR110 and a High Definition (HD) Satellite and Standard Definition (SD) Terrestrial MPEG 4 Combi Receiver, the ST-HD527 CI (information thanks to What Satellite & Digital TV magazine, Mar '10 issue).

The TR110 does not have MHEG-5 for Digital Text and MPEG-4 HD included and so would not meet the Soarview minimum requirement.

No user guide or spec is available for the combi receiver. Denmark spec receiver here with Conax built-in plus 2 CI slots.

They appear to be sold through Alltrade.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Satts

I got this from the Triax UK website. Not alot of detail, but I hope it helps.

ST-HD527 CI (305014)

Product view

st-hd527_260x66.Png
    • Part Number 305014
    • High Definition (HD) Satellite and Standard Definition (SD) Terrestrial MPEG 4 Combi Receiver
    • Suitable for use in the Republic of Ireland
    • Blue, 7 segment LED display
    • IF loop-through
    • Electronic Programme Guide (EPG)
    • 2 x SCART
    • 1 x HDMI
    • USB interface
    • SPDIF
    • Optical Audio Output
    • Component Output
    • Audio L + R
    • CI Slot
    • 1 x SCART Lead supplied
    • Remote control (including batteries)
    http://www.triax.co.uk/Products/Set%20Top%20Boxes/Combi.aspx?productId={9818103D-C764-4542-8FBC-7928533A6A64}&Tab=0

• Registered Users Posts: 15,481 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Satts wrote: »
    I got this from the Triax UK website. Not alot of detail, but I hope it helps.

Already linked from my post above. Thanks anyway.

The Cush wrote: »
    Already linked from my post above. Thanks anyway.

:o

Main features of the ST-HD527CI as stated in the instruction manual.
    • Support MPEG-1 ISO/IEC 11172-2, MPEG-2 MP@ML and MP@HL, ISO/IEC 13818-2, MPEG-4 AVC MP@L4 and HP@L4.1
    • DVB-S (ETS 300 421), DVB-S2 (EN 302 307) compliant.
    • DVB-T (ETS 300 744)
    • 2 Slot common interface for Viaccess, Irdeto, CryptoWorks, Nagravision, Conax, SECA and more. (Conax Embedded).
    • Digital Audio with Dolby Digital support.
    • Stores up to 4000 channels.
    • PVR function when an external USB memory device is connected, (not included).
    • Record Terrestrial programmes while watching a satellite programme and vice versa.
    • Simple software upgrade and data download via the USB port.
    • Box to Box copying via the USB port.
    • Logical Channel Numbering, (LCN).
    • Electronic Programmr Guide (EPG) - 7 Day on Terrestrial, Now/Next on Satellite.
    • On Screen Display, (OSD).
    • Multi video output - Component Video Y/Pb/Pr, Digital Video HDMI, CVBS for TV SCART OUT (w/OSD), CVBS for VCR SCART (w/OSD), CVBS for VCR SCART IN.
    • SCPC/MCPC receivable from C/Ku band satellite.
    • Multi LNB controlled by DiSEqC 1.2 and 22KHz, 0/1 2 volt switching.
    • 256 colour ON-Screen-Display.
    • Automatic PAL/NTSC conversion.
    • Automatic last channel saving.

It has IF Loop through and Antenna Loop through, but no RF Modulator.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 drogs_1

PowerCity now have these units in stock. Has anyone got any reviews and how does the pricing compare?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

drogs_1 wrote: »
    PowerCity now have these units in stock. Has anyone got any reviews and how does the pricing compare?

It's on the site now:
    http://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-23-THD527&pages=2&prod=THD527&brands=TRIAX

€209 from a local retailer off the shelf - not bad considering similar units bought online from foreign suppliers were around €300 last year plus costs.

Am I correct in assuming that without DVB-T2 it might not support Irish DTT when Saorview becomes a reality?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭slegs

PauloMN wrote: »
    It's on the site now:
    http://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-23-THD527&pages=2&prod=THD527&brands=TRIAX

€209 from a local retailer off the shelf - not bad considering similar units bought online from foreign suppliers were around €300 last year plus costs.

Am I correct in assuming that without DVB-T2 it might not support Irish DTT when Saorview becomes a reality?

Saorview is DVB-t so this will be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

Is the EPG just now&next for satellite?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Is there any pricing info for the terrestrial-only box?? The TR110.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭dahak

• Support MPEG-1 ISO/IEC 11172-2, MPEG-2 MP@ML and MP@HL, ISO/IEC 13818-2, MPEG-4 AVC MP@L4 and HP@L4.1
    • DVB-T (ETS 300 744)
    • 2 Slot common interface for Viaccess, Irdeto, CryptoWorks, Nagravision, Conax, SECA and more. (Conax Embedded).
    • Digital Audio with Dolby Digital support.
    • Stores up to 4000 channels.
    • PVR function when an external USB memory device is connected, (not included).
    • Record Terrestrial programmes while watching a satellite programme and vice versa.
    • Simple software upgrade and data download via the USB port.
    • Box to Box copying via the USB port.
    • Logical Channel Numbering, (LCN).
    • Electronic Programmr Guide (EPG) - 7 Day on Terrestrial, Now/Next on Satellite.
    • On Screen Display, (OSD).
    • Multi video output - Component Video Y/Pb/Pr, Digital Video HDMI, CVBS for TV SCART OUT (w/OSD), CVBS for VCR SCART (w/OSD), CVBS for VCR SCART IN.
    • SCPC/MCPC receivable from C/Ku band satellite.
    • Multi LNB controlled by DiSEqC 1.2 and 22KHz, 0/1 2 volt switching.
    • 256 colour ON-Screen-Display.
    • Automatic PAL/NTSC conversion.
    • Automatic last channel saving.

It has IF Loop through and Antenna Loop through, but no RF Modulator.

I'm just looking at the specifications and I'm slightly confused by the '(SD) Terrestrial MPEG 4' in the title.

The STB will play a HD MPEG-4 stream, so is the '(SD) Terrestrial MPEG 4' to warn potential UK buyers that this STB will not support the new Freeview HD service over DVB-T2, rather than it not being able to support HD MPEG-4 stream over DVB-T(1), which the Irish DTT spec calls for?

• Advertisement

drogs_1 wrote: »

This is a very good price for this box.

mullingar wrote: »
    Is the EPG just now&next for satellite?

Just now and next for satellite. 7 Day for terrestrial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Just now and next for satellite. 7 Day for terrestrial.

Dont buy one.

There is a combo box about to come on the market that will do 7 day epg for both and LESS than 200.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭gtg60

STB wrote: »
    There is a combo box about to come on the market that will do 7 day epg for both and LESS than 200.

What is it?
    And how do they have a 7 day EPG for SAT?

dahak wrote: »
    I'm just looking at the specifications and I'm slightly confused by the '(SD) Terrestrial MPEG 4' in the title.

The STB will play a HD MPEG-4 stream, so is the '(SD) Terrestrial MPEG 4' to warn potential UK buyers that this STB will not support the new Freeview HD service over DVB-T2, rather than it not being able to support HD MPEG-4 stream over DVB-T(1), which the Irish DTT spec calls for?

As far I know it is being broadcast at the moment in SD MPEG 4 Terrestrial DVB-T.
    I don't know if they are going to broadcast in HD MPEG 4 DVB-T or not in the future.
    The wholesaler I bought this receiver from said his opinion is that it will stay as SD MPEG 4 DVB-T, or if RTE are going to broadcast in HD MPEG 4 DVB-T, they would also broadcast in SD MPEG 4 DVB-T simultaneously. I really don't know.

Maybe Triax and wholesalers are taking a gamble. Maybe a more knowledgeable poster can enlighten.

I fitted this box for a relation, I liked the box overall.
    I liked the way the channel list for terrestrial and satellite is combined, terrestrial channels 1 to 5, satellite 6 and on. One box, one remote.
    HDMI output, so the scart socket on the TV is free for other uses.
    I like the way you can fit a recording device to it via USB.
    I don't like that there is no RF modulator, unlike the TR110 which is also SD MPEG 4 DVB-T by the way.
    I didn't like the menu system.
    Standard Teletext is working fine.

As far I know it is being broadcast at the moment in SD MPEG 4 Terrestrial over DVB-T.
    I don't know if they are going to broadcast in HD MPEG 4 or not in the future.
    The wholesaler I bought this receiver from said his opinion is that it will stay as SD MPEG, or if RTE are going to broadcast in HD MPEG 4, they would also broadcast in SD MPEG 4 in simultaneously. I really don't know.

Maybe Triax and wholesalers are taking a gamble. Maybe a more knowledgeable poster can enlighten.

I fitted this for a relation, I liked the box overall.
    I liked the way the channel list for terrestrial and satellite is combined, terrestrial channels 1 to 5, satellite 6 and on. One box, one remote.
    HDMI output, so the scart socket on the TV is free for other uses.
    I like the way you can fit a recording device to it via USB.
    I don't like that there is no RF modulator, unlike the TR110 which is also SD MPEG 4 by the way.
    I didn't like the menu system.

The wholesaler doesnt know what he is talking about.

The chipset will dictate whether it decodes HD regardless of whether its DVB-T or DVB-S2.

High Profile level is key: ie MPEG-4 AVC MP@L4 and HP@L4.1

(Level 3 is SD)

gtg60 wrote: »
    What is it?
    And how do they have a 7 day EPG for SAT?

QBox HD Mini. See thread. I'm very excited :)

Is there any pricing info for the terrestrial-only box?? The TR110.

€75 (ex. VAT) from http://tvtrade.ie/show/323,Triax-TR110-Terrestrial-Receiver.

STB wrote: »
    The wholesaler doesnt know what he is talking about.

The chipset will dictate whether it decodes HD regardless of whether its DVB-T or DVB-S2.

High Profile level is key: ie MPEG-4 AVC MP@L4 and HP@L4.1

(Level 3 is SD)

The wholesaler didn't mention anything about DVB-2.

So it's clear in my head, are you saying that this receiver will receive HD MPEG 4 DVB-T as well as SD MPEG4 DVB-T ?

If so, why would Triax sell it as SD MPEG 4 DVB-T only ?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭dahak

DVB-S2 is in the specs in your previous post.
    • DVB-T (ETS 300 744)
    So it's clear in my head, are you saying that this receiver will receive HD MPEG 4 DVB-T as well as SD MPEG4 DVB-T ?

The tuners and the decoding chipset are separate, the tuners basically take the incoming signal (DVB-T, DVB-S or DVB-S2 in this case) and pass the pass the data stream for the selected channel to the decoding chipset. The tuners don't care what the stream contains (could be in any kind of format) but the decoding chipset will only decode specific formats. In the case of this receiver:

So as long as the data stream being sent to the decoding chipset meets that spec it'll decode it. It's my understanding that both MPEG-4 AVC Main Profile (MP) and High Profile (HP) can be use for HD video but the DVB spec set Main Profile Level 4 for standard definition and High Profile Level 4.1 for high definition. So as long as the HD MPEG 4 DVB-T met MPEG-4 AVC HP@L4.1 then all is good :)

In the US HD is broadcast in MPEG 2.

Also the specs for Irish DTT state that MPEG-4 AVC HP@L4.1 has to be included and that any box must be able to downscale this for SD televisions. As such any of the Irish broadcasters could just have a single HD channel* without the need to broadcast in SD at all.

*Available bandwidth and other operational factors notwithstanding.

My guess would be not to confuse the UK market. MPEG4 for terrestrial in the UK is going to mean Freeview HD for the foreseeable future. As Freview HD is DVB-T2 they are probably trying to ensure that it's not bought in the UK for Freeview HD and receive negative reviews because of this. As Ireland doesn't have a HD DVB-T service (or any service outside of engineering tests :) there would be no negative reaction from Irish market to SD MPEG 4

• Advertisement

I see where the confusion is coming from for you. They list it as "High Definition (HD) Satellite and Standard Definition (SD) Terrestrial MPEG 4 Combi Receiver "

First off it is in a .co.uk website (so you must remember that it is primarily aimed at that audience).

The clever guys in Triax do not want to mislead the UK public. And fair play to them. What they mean is without breaking down into tech talk is:

UK

HD in the UK is on a different platform - DVB-T2. This box does not have a DVB-T2 tuner, it has a DVB-T tuner.

SD in the UK is MPEG2 on DVB-T (MPEG4 H264 processor will decode this obviously from the DVB-T Tuner as MPEG4 is backward compatable with MPEG2)

So in the UK the DVB-T tuner will only work for SD services as the UK has chosen a different platform for HD (which requires a different tuner - a DVB-T2 one)

IRELAND
    HD should it exist in Rep of Ireland in the future will be on DVB-T.

That boxes profile level covers HD via MPEG4 H264 on DVB-T.

Therefore it is both HD capable on both tuners for Rep of Ireland for OUR DVB-T platform.

That is the basics of combo boxes on the market. Chipset and profile level.

Hope that explains it better.

It's my understanding that both MPEG-4 AVC Main Profile (MP) and High Profile (HP) can be use for HD video but the DVB spec set Main Profile Level 4 for standard definition and High Profile Level 4.1 for high definition. So as long as the HD MPEG 4 DVB-T met MPEG-4 AVC HP@L4.1 then all is good :)

In the US HD is broadcast in MPEG 2.

Also the specs for Irish DTT state that MPEG-4 AVC HP@L4.1 has to be included and that any box must be able to downscale this for SD televisions. As such any of the Irish broadcasters could just have a single HD channel without the need to broadcast in SD at all.
    Just to clarify the Irish specs, the mandatory requirements are
    MPEG-4 Decoder (Standard Definition): Main Profile @ L3.0 (ISO/IEC 14496-10), SD 720x576 (576i25)
    MPEG-4 Decoder (High Definition): High Profile @ L4.0 (ISO/IEC 14496-10), HD 1280x720 (720p50), 1920x1080 (1080i25 / 1080p25),
    5.2. Video

The IRD shall support video decoding for;
    • MPEG2 video decoding up to Main Profile at Main Level (MP@ML)
    • MPEG4 AVC (H.264) video decoding up to High Profile at Level 3 (SDTV).
    • MPEG4 AVC (H.264) video decoding up to High Profile at Level 4 (HDTV).

Observe specifically that this means that all IRD shall support MPEG4 SDTV services using High Profile video encoding tools, MPEG4 AVC (H.264) HP@L3.

Minimum Receiver Requirements

Thanks guys, I learned alot from the previous posts.

My guess would be not to confuse the UK market. MPEG4 for terrestrial in the UK is going to mean Freeview HD for the foreseeable future. As Freview HD is DVB-T2 they are probably trying to ensure that it's not bought in the UK for Freeview HD and receive negative reviews because of this. As Ireland doesn't have a HD DVB-T service (or any service outside of engineering tests :) there would be no negative reaction from Irish market to SD MPEG 4

Now that I think of it, on the front of the box was written,
    " For Ireland and England " or something very similar.

So they want to get the description of the box correct for the system of the bigger market of 55 million in the UK and any buyers of the 5 million people here won't complain if the box is upward compatible even if it dosen't say it because it will mean they don't have to buy another box if Irish DTT changes to HD MPEG 4 DVB-T in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭glog

Priced at €190 off the shelf locally I am considering getting this Triax combo.

Just wondering if anyone who has this receiver has any feedback or comments on this box ?
    Particularly in comparison to Mvision or Edison combo boxes.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭rurs

I don't have one myself, but I had a play around with one in the local Power City.

Seems like a decent machine, better than the Mvision, as you can definitely record on one tuner, watch the other (I brought my own USB drive), which I don't think the Mvision can, or the cheaper Edision.

Clear, if a little utilitarian, GUI.
    Timeshift worked, recording ditto.

Interestingly, it does indeed have "UK & Ireland" writ large on the box, and the fadas showed up on RTE (can't do it myself:), I don't think any of the Euro-sourced boxes handle these correctly.

Also written in big letters on the box was M-HEG5 compatible, which is a nice plus, but I couldn't get it to work, only standard teletext, maybe it might be enabled in a later firmware, or maybe the fact that RTE are broadcasting both is confusing things, but it does show they are thinking about Ireland specifically, which should be positive in over the long term.

Overall, I'd be happy with it if I didn't already have a combo box (Ferguson Ariva)

Only downside I could see was that there only seemed to be 10 slots for scheduled recordings, which might get quickly used up if you plan use it as a PVR, but you'd want to double check that if you can if it's an issue for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Blue and Gold

I have installed a TR110 and when i put it into s'bye it kills off my analogue pictures. Anyone else come across this or found a sollution? Even returned the box an the new one is doing the same.

I have installed a TR110 and when i put it into s'bye it kills off my analogue pictures. Anyone else come across this or found a sollution? Even returned the box an the new one is doing the same.

Are you looping off the aerial from the Triax box to the TV ? Presume this box has a 5 volt power its sending to the aerial which you are looping to the TV which also benefits from the 5 volt boost. It would sound like the 5 v is turning when it goes to standby.

If you cant switch that option not to switch off the 5v on sleep then you will have to get a seperate aerial for analogue or ensure that you dont put the box in it in standby.

Can you give some info on what way you have it connected up ?

I powered up one of these today and the analogue channels were still there when box is on standby.

I had the cable coming from the aerial connected to "Ant In" on the box and another coax connected between "Ant Out" on the box and the TV.
    Connected scart between TV and box as well.
    When box is on, watching DTT through the scart.
    When box is on Standby, reverts back to analogue.

I think it sounds like you are missing the connection between "Ant Out" and the TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭liamtech

DOes anyone have any pictures of the Combo Units menu. Im seriously thinking of getting this one but there is very little info of any sort on the internet - ANy help would be great fully appreciated -

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭rurs

I've been meaning to have another look at this box in Power City.
    I'll take a few snaps while I'm there in the next day or two. Is there anything specifically you'd like me to try out?

Advertisement