Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blackhall PPC1 2018

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Lumi77

who can understand anything now after the tutorials groups assigned?
    I am right in saying that some have to go in first day and some dont?
    and the gaps in between classes?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Redo91

Lumi77 wrote: »
    who can understand anything now after the tutorials groups assigned?
    I am right in saying that some have to go in first day and some dont?
    and the gaps in between classes?
    I can’t figure out the Red/Blue groups at all. Hopefully it becomes clearer once we start.

From looking at the timetable it seems the lower numbers (ie core group 1-12) have gotten a raw deal. It seems like I’m in around 9am most mornings with the odd exception. I know it means I finish earlier but it’s not like we will be in late either way. Not ideal when I plan on predominantly commuting and staying up maybe 2 nights a week.

Redo91 wrote: »
    I can’t figure out the Red/Blue groups at all. Hopefully it becomes clearer once we start.

From looking at the timetable it seems the lower numbers (ie core group 1-12) have gotten a raw deal. It seems like I’m in around 9am most mornings with the odd exception. I know it means I finish earlier but it’s not like we will be in late either way. Not ideal when I plan on predominantly commuting and staying up maybe 2 nights a week.

I agree I am commuting myself and have to get a childminder. I am group 7 myself. But the gaps in between to me are a waste of time hanging around.

does anyone know if there is a canteen in the Law Society?

I agree I am commuting myself and have to get a childminder. I am group 7 myself. But the gaps in between to me are a waste of time hanging around.

I know and unfortunately they have said they won’t entertain any requests to swap to another stream. I’ll be commuting from Galway on the train so face an early start on the mornings I don’t stay up the night before. Also like you say the gaps are far from ideal although at least it will allow time to study.

Speaking of the train does anyone know if I am right in saying we will be entitled to a student travel card? I had a look at the Iarnrod Eireann website and I did not see any reference to Blackhall or the Law Society under the institutions which are entitled to student tickets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭randomrb

I know and unfortunately they have said they won’t entertain any requests to swap to another stream. I’ll be commuting from Galway on the train so face an early start on the mornings I don’t stay up the night before. Also like you say the gaps are far from ideal although at least it will allow time to study.

Speaking of the train does anyone know if I am right in saying we will be entitled to a student travel card? I had a look at the Iarnrod Eireann website and I did not see any reference to Blackhall or the Law Society under the institutions which are entitled to student tickets.

You are entitled to a student travelcard, might be worth looking at the taxsaver scheme if you are with a firm as well

randomrb wrote: »

You are entitled to a student travelcard, might be worth looking at the taxsaver scheme if you are with a firm as well

Thanks for the reply. I wonder would I get away with a student ticket and showing some of the correspondence we received from the law society to show I’m a student until I get the student card which I presume we won’t get until a day or two in. I’ve heard of the taxsaver scheme also although I believe I would be able to claim little or nothing back due to the wage I’m earning and the small amount of tax I’m paying.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭randomrb

Thanks for the reply. I wonder would I get away with a student ticket and showing some of the correspondence we received from the law society to show I’m a student until I get the student card which I presume we won’t get until a day or two in. I’ve heard of the taxsaver scheme also although I believe I would be able to claim little or nothing back due to the wage I’m earning and the small amount of tax I’m paying.

It is worth talking to your employer as i believe it will save them money as well as it is a direct reduction from your gross wage

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

does anyone know if there is a canteen in the Law Society?

A friend told me there is an area with a couple of microwaves and fridges? And I think there are two coffee docks?

smeal wrote: »
    A friend told me there is an area with a couple of microwaves and fridges? And I think there are two coffee docks?

thank you , kind of poor considering the fees we pay but it ll have to do :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

thank you , kind of poor considering the fees we pay but it ll have to do :rolleyes:

I know... said friend (who works for a top 5) was like "Oh there's plenty of nice cafes around the area to go for lunch" and I'm just like giiiiirlll I'll be lucky if I can afford lunch out once a month with the wage I'm on (or barely not on ha!!) I'll be the one hovering around the microwave on a daily basis warming my beans on toast!!

Luckily I'm in the later stream but it seems on some occasions that the earlier stream starts earlier and finishes late which doesn't make sense. I wouldn't look too much into the timetable at this point though (annoying for making plans I know) but I imagine its very much a draft format..

smeal wrote: »
    I know... said friend (who works for a top 5) was like "Oh there's plenty of nice cafes around the area to go for lunch" and I'm just like giiiiirlll I'll be lucky if I can afford lunch out once a month with the wage I'm on (or barely not on ha!!) I'll be the one hovering around the microwave on a daily basis warming my beans on toast!!

Luckily I'm in the later stream but it seems on some occasions that the earlier stream starts earlier and finishes late which doesn't make sense. I wouldn't look too much into the timetable at this point though (annoying for making plans I know) but I imagine its very much a draft format..

i agree with you, they should have a concession canteen or something. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭claiomh solais

When we are uploading our photos for our ID, do they have to be passport style photos?

EDIT: yeah it says so on the website

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Get a bed in the Generator for a tenner on the weeknights.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 KMR91

Hi everyone!

I was just wondering if anyone was commuting from further away e.g. Waterford etc and had any tips on cutting the cost? So far, the cheapest return fare I can find on Iarnrod is 22eur which I know isn't horrendous but certainly adds up. Unfortunately not in a position to stay up! Also, I see some people are feeling stung with their core group allocation because they're commuting; I know the LS has a policy of not allowing requests but I just went ahead and explained my situation and was allocated to TG18 so it's well worth trying!

KMR91 wrote: »
    Hi everyone!

I was just wondering if anyone was commuting from further away e.g. Waterford etc and had any tips on cutting the cost? So far, the cheapest return fare I can find on Iarnrod is 22eur which I know isn't horrendous but certainly adds up. Unfortunately not in a position to stay up! Also, I see some people are feeling stung with their core group allocation because they're commuting; I know the LS has a policy of not allowing requests but I just went ahead and explained my situation and was allocated to TG18 so it's well worth trying!

Did you look at the weekly ticket? Or even the monthly one? Pretty sure it works out much better value than buying daily tickets. I’ll be commuting from Galway and staying up the odd day so will be facing a similar commute to you. Thanks for the heads up about transfers. I’ve probably left it too late to change now though. The one plus I’ve noticed is that I appear to have some Fridays off when the later streams have lectures. Although it’s a nuisance that I have such early starts I will be saving money by not having to go up on Fridays.

Having looked at the timetable again it seems all streams have the odd Friday off when others are in. One problem is the later stream have some 5:15 finishes which is very tight for the 5:30 train with the next one after being 7:30. It’s probably too late for me to transfer streams now in any event but in case I can I think I will have to compare both timetables and decide which is more manageable with my commute in terms of early starts/late finishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 KMR91

For some reason, both the weekly and monthly commuter tickets from Waterford to Dublin are dearer than if you were to buy a return ticket every day. I'm going to ring tomorrow to clarify because it makes zero sense if that is the case and I've read and re-read it every which way possible. In terms of your own commute, I'm sure it would be okay to leave the 5.15 ending lecture at say 5? There must be a lot of people in the commuting boat and I'm sure they've seen it all before. I wouldn't say you've left it too late to swap streams if that's what ends up being best for you, they're quite good if you ring them up and actually get to speak to someone as opposed to endless emailing back and forth.

I hope it works out for you!

KMR91 wrote: »
    For some reason, both the weekly and monthly commuter tickets from Waterford to Dublin are dearer than if you were to buy a return ticket every day. I'm going to ring tomorrow to clarify because it makes zero sense if that is the case and I've read and re-read it every which way possible. In terms of your own commute, I'm sure it would be okay to leave the 5.15 ending lecture at say 5? There must be a lot of people in the commuting boat and I'm sure they've seen it all before. I wouldn't say you've left it too late to swap streams if that's what ends up being best for you, they're quite good if you ring them up and actually get to speak to someone as opposed to endless emailing back and forth.

I hope it works out for you!

Ya that definitely sounds like a mistake. I’m commuting from Galway and I had a quick look yesterday but couldn’t find monthly tickets at all but I know they exist on that route.

Thanks for the advice. I will try to talk to someone this week. I would like to change streams if at all possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Blazedup

Briefly describe how blackhall is going for you so far.......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Blazedup wrote: »
    Briefly describe how blackhall is going for you so far.......
    kisspng-the-liver-cleansing-diet-liver-span-liver-disease-hewel-b%E1%BA%A3o-v%E1%BB%87-gan-5b65e2ead01fd6.1168071315334038828525.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Tony_TwoLegs

Hi. Can anyone who just finished the PPC1 fill me in a little.

I will be up in September. As I decided to work locally in a small/ medium form I will have to pay my own fees and pay to stay in Dublin. Hello bank loan!! (After I clear my BCL\Masters one.... it never ends!!)

Ideally I would only be in Dublin 3 nights a week if possible. Is it at all possible i would swing it so i am only in Tues- Fri OR Mon-Thurs?

Also, any practical advises??

Thanks so much

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Hi. Can anyone who just finished the PPC1 fill me in a little.

I will be up in September. As I decided to work locally in a small/ medium form I will have to pay my own fees and pay to stay in Dublin. Hello bank loan!! (After I clear my BCL\Masters one.... it never ends!!)

Ideally I would only be in Dublin 3 nights a week if possible. Is it at all possible i would swing it so i am only in Tues- Fri OR Mon-Thurs?

Also, any practical advises??

Thanks so much

Pretty much impossible to swing it on a regular basis. The timetable changes per week so you could be in 3 days one week and 5 days another. You could even end up with a day off in the middle of the week. Start times, etc. change every day/week too. There's even times where late stream has been in earlier than early stream.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Tony_TwoLegs

Pretty much impossible to swing it on a regular basis. The timetable changes per week so you could be in 3 days one week and 5 days another. You could even end up with a day off in the middle of the week. Start times, etc. change every day/week too. There's even times where late stream has been in earlier than early stream.

That reassures me that the LS have their act together!! FFS.
    I've also heard this off another helpful contributor.
    Sure I'll have to adapt. When they say jump.... "how high" is the response they expect.

I'm paying for it all myself so it's a bit of a nuisance. Esp not knowing how many nights a week I'll need (to tell my digs) until the week of/before.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

That reassures me that the LS have their act together!! FFS.
    I've also heard this off another helpful contributor.
    Sure I'll have to adapt. When they say jump.... "how high" is the response they expect.

I'm paying for it all myself so it's a bit of a nuisance. Esp not knowing how many nights a week I'll need (to tell my digs) until the week of/before.

You'll get the full timetable in September so will have a good idea in advance but being the LS things change regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Scarymary13

Hi guys,

Possibly entering in this year (hyrbid program) and I just wanted to see if anyone has any suggestions for weekend stays?

Advertisement