Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blackhall PPC1 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 conork12

Hi does anybody know roughly when we will receive details of when to pay the fee etc and get the timetables. I have indentures registered etc. Thanks in advance

I rang the Trainee Section yesterday and was told the remainder of fees are due by August 13th

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

I am only getting my application signed by my new firm now as got a TC offer last Friday! Total last minute stress. I am just going to send all fees in at once including application fee and late fee. Hopefully they won't take too long sending Indentures out.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭legalease2172

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭claiomh solais

Amazing thanks for that. I notice that the mandatory LPI classes end November 01st.

I have a holiday that I booked two weeks in November, I booked it before I found out I was going to blackhall this year.. Do you think I should just cancel or is it possible to get away if I contact the law society?

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Lumi77

Thank you for that, I literally cant make any sense of it....
    how does it work are all the classes compulsory?

• Advertisement

It's a fairly messy timetable alright!

They better not all be compulsory. Anyone I know who has done PPC1 keeps talking about having loads of free time ha

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Has anyone considered which iPad they're getting or gotten any advice as to which is best? I'm considering going for the top spec one but am still thinking about it. Not sure if it's worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 10922UCD

I was going to but I’ve decided on the higher storage pro so I don’t need to cart a tv around!apparently normal size is fine but I was going to get one anyway.timetable seems a bit tight this year compared to last!

I am having the same issue and i think I am going for higher memory and a mini even though LS iPad dept just advised me that the normal size would be better.
    Are they up to get?I cant find them

Think they are up to purchase mid August?

• Advertisement

Looks like iPads are up to purchase from tomorrow until 2 August which is an issue for me considering that my firm don't appear to have fully registered me yet.
    iPad Information
    iPad is used across all courses on PPC1 and PPC2. As part of the course fee each student receives an iPad. For PPC1 2018 the standard iPad is the latest iPad 6th Generation 9.7-inch 32GB Wi-fi https://www.apple.com/ie/ipad-9.7/. This is the latest iPad from Apple and it also supports the Apple Pencil should you wish to purchase one to us with it. If a student wishes to upgrade to a higher spec iPad we will accommodate this.

ALL trainees are required to identify the iPad they wish to receive as part of the upcoming PPC1 2018. In order to select your iPad, trainees must be logged into the Law Society website using your 8 digit Law Society ID number (also known as your FE1 number). If you need to, you can reset your password.

Please note if you decide on the standard iPad 9.7-inch WiFi 32GB there is no additional cost to the student, but you must make your selection using the link below.

Students can select their iPad from 4pm on Tuesday July 24th until Thursday August 2nd 2018 at 4pm.
    Unfortunately, it will not be possible to accept any requests to upgrade after this date and all incoming trainees thereafter will be issued with the standard iPad 9.7-inch WiFi 32GB.

You are required to print off your iPad receipt once your selection is complete as you will need to produce this as receipt as proof of purchase prior to collecting your iPad during the first two days of the PPC1 course (Sept 4th and Sept 5th).

The upgrade cost must be paid by the trainee to enable the payment to be processed.

Please click on the iPad that you would like to receive and proceed to checkout.

Please click on the iPad that you would like to receive and proceed to checkout.

· 01 - iPad 9.7-inch WiFi 32GB - €0.00 (no additional cost)

· 02 - iPad 9.7-inch WiFi 128GB - €130

· 03 - iPad Pro 10.5-inch WiFi 64GB - €380

· 04 - iPad Pro 10.5-inch WiFi 256GB - €535

· 05 - iPad Pencil - €100

We would suggest that you consult www.apple.com/ipad/ to select an iPad that best suits you before making your choices.

If you have any queries re iPads, please email: iPad@lawsociety.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭FreeFallin94

So I still haven't received any email from the law soc confirming my application. Surely my firm would let me know by now if anything was wrong? I've emailed the law soc just to make myself feel better, hopefully they'll respond to me at some point.

Apologies all the LSI had told me it would be mid August!thats great news just checked there and if you don’t make selection the website say last you’ll still be issued with standard size!

So I still haven't received any email from the law soc confirming my application. Surely my firm would let me know by now if anything was wrong? I've emailed the law soc just to make myself feel better, hopefully they'll respond to me at some point.

I'm in the same situation. Asked my firm and was told that they'd get the confirmation and let me know.

10922UCD wrote: »
    Apologies all the LSI had told me it would be mid August!thats great news just checked there and if you don’t make selection the website say last you’ll still be issued with standard size!

Do you think there's any point in splashing out on more memory or the pro? I can't see myself using it too much outside of college to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Tigerlilly18

Hi has anyone sent in the €8300 fee? do we need to have that paid before we pay for ipad upgrade?? I have indentures registered and returned to me but Ive heard nothing since.
    Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Dunne1995

Hi has anyone sent in the €8300 fee? do we need to have that paid before we pay for ipad upgrade?? I have indentures registered and returned to me but Ive heard nothing since.
    Many thanks

I just got a request for the fees today in the post. They also send you a form to fill in just telling them your PPS number.

If you haven’t already registered your indenture they just tell you to return it with the fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭Redo91

Many thanks
    I’m wondering the same about the iPad. I noted on the covering letter that came with my indentures that I would receive another letter about fees. Haven’t paid anything besides the application fee obviously. I will be sending back my indentures today. Didn’t realise you had to pick an iPad upgrade so soon. Definitely going for the Pro as want to be able use the keyboard for typing. Just unsure about what size to go for.

no Ipad mini this year and I was told there will be one and I bought the case with keyboard already.
    I have carpal tunnel so thats disappointing now.
    For the ones that are looking for the Ipad Pro as far as i know if you get the Bluetooth keyboard third party it works.

Dunne1995 wrote: »
    I just got a request for the fees today in the post. They also send you a form to fill in just telling them your PPS number.

If you haven’t already registered your indenture they just tell you to return it with the fee.

Thanks so much for your reply.

• Advertisement

Redo91 wrote: »
    I’m wondering the same about the iPad. I noted on the covering letter that came with my indentures that I would receive another letter about fees. Haven’t paid anything besides the application fee obviously. I will be sending back my indentures today. Didn’t realise you had to pick an iPad upgrade so soon. Definitely going for the Pro as want to be able use the keyboard for typing. Just unsure about what size to go for.

Yes I thought i was missing out on something regarding payment of fees etc. Someone has kindly confirmed that there are letters out today requesting the fee etc. Re IPads I got someone to look over them for me. Think im going for pro 10.5 64gb . Hopefully this be good enough to cover ppc 1 and 2!!

conork12 wrote: »
    10922UCD wrote: »

Do you think there's any point in splashing out on more memory or the pro? I can't see myself using it too much outside of college to be honest

I asked the trainees where I work and they said that the standard is more than enough plus Dropbox accounts are set up by most tutorial groups/various trainees of firms!i was going to get upgrade but after after seeing their ones I’m happy with standard size,no flashy ones for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭Redo91

Redo91 wrote: »

Yes I thought i was missing out on something regarding payment of fees etc. Someone has kindly confirmed that there are letters out today requesting the fee etc. Re IPads I got someone to look over them for me. Think im going for pro 10.5 64gb . Hopefully this be good enough to cover ppc 1 and 2!!

Ya I received that letter when I got home this evening.

With regard the iPad I emailed the Law Society regarding the sort of storage needed and they confirmed that the previous base model would have been the iPad Mini at just 16gb so the 64gb is more than sufficient.

anyone having issues with the new ipad, comes at 100 and then it changes to 149? which one is the actual price?

Lumi77 wrote: »
    anyone having issues with the new ipad, comes at 100 and then it changes to 149? which one is the actual price?

It changed between €100 and €149 a couple of times during the day.

I paid €100 so hopefully that's right!!!

Yes its very very strange. and confusing.

Does anyone know how necessary a locker is?

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

Does anyone know how necessary a locker is?

I’ve been advised they are very very handy as they save you lugging manuals in and out. Also some of them have charging ports for ipads and phones inside.

Is anyone here applying for editorial post with H.Law Journal as a trainee since we will have free time during the year at PPC?.The current board are all from McCann Fitz,couple from William Fry and Arthur Cox-one from McDowell Purcell.Just wondering is it a closed shop or if many from slightly smaller firms are applying before I submit cv and give all my details to an unknown board of peers.TIA!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭legalease2172

Has anyone not received anything from the law society yet? In terms of a pack/email etc...

Advertisement