Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If a German regime took over the running and planning of Ireland in the 1950s..

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I think you may have arrived to this thread after the sneaky title edit, which referred to the Nazis and not the Germans.
    Never mind that last that I checked nuac wasn't a mod of this forum, so g'way to feck. :D

giphy.gif

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

A lot of the same problems most likely, Germany isn't perfect either. Berlin Brandenburg Airport is a classic example of how Germany can get it wrong too.

Ireland will always suffer from the problem of economies of scale. Germany has the best infrastructure because its economy is wide enough to produce the money necessary to create wealth. Ireland, with only the same population as Berlin, doesn't have that luxury.

The only benefits I can think of there might be better policies. The health service would be properly managed for example.

National attitude might be different too. I'm a believer that a nation's beliefs change and mature over time. Ireland is the grand scheme of things is very young. The incoming European Union grants have transformed Ireland for the better and the influx of European culture means that we have come to expect higher standards. Things are progressing rapidly here, give it time. I know Ireland is far from perfect but if you look at the previous 50 years in Irish progress, the next few decades will be interesting to say the least.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Genius, who would have guessed the solution would have been that simple?
    and final..

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

nuac wrote: »
    Mod
    The OP refers to the 1950s. The Nazis were off the pitch since April 1945 so leave them out of this. OK?
    I was presuming the op meant if the Nazis succeeded in the 40's, otherwise this scenario wouldn't make sense?
    What would Ireland look like today?

If they (or any other regime, free from gombeenism) had wanted to make a go of Ireland as a country, putting all their resources and strategic planning behind it. What would Ireland look like today. What would be the social and economic landscape look like?

Let me get out my calculator

I can't imagine childcare costing 1000 per month in some places? Possibly free or 90 % subsidised with childcare amenities planned for

Housing. Would a average sized house in a nice area in Dublin cost 1 million? Lol. 1/4 million max?

Cost of food and entertainment? 50% less? 148 euro plus 8 euro ticketmaster fees for front row seats to see David Gray in an arena? Are you having a laugh

Sports. Would it have taken 72 years to build an Olympic sized pool in Ireland? Would Ireland be having a national holiday getting dumped out of the soccer world cup quarter finals?

Infrastructure. I presume there would be fast and frequent rail transport from airports

Industry. We would be leaders of renewable energy technologies employing 10s of thousands. The size of the waves off the coast of Ireland

Average industrial wage. Double what it is today
    Ireland in the 50's was dirt poor and dependant on agriculture. If the Nazi's took over we would be nothing to them but a peasant working class. Ireland joined the EU in the 70's and lost fishing grounds but gained grants in other areas such as infrastructure and agriculture. By the 90's when the Celtic Tiger took off we were reaping the rewards of investing in education, infrastructure and dissociating from the Catholic Church.

To put it in perspective, my mother didn't progress beyond primary school. It wasn't that she was stupid, it was simply her mother decided it was better for her to go and get a job and start contributing financially. There is 19 years between my mother and oldest brother and not only did he go to secondary school, he also went to university. That's how fast Irish society changed.

This question is silly because if history has taught us anything, it's that invading forces don't care about the locals beyond what they can use them for. Yes Ireland has a housing crisis because of Government mis-management and child care costs are high but socially we are progressive and have come on leaps and bounds in the last 50 years. We no longer throw pregnant women into laundries and sell off their babies. We don't shun gays. Instead of being somewhere you emigrate from, now we have people immigrating here.

Ireland is not perfect by any means but I think we're doing fine. If we could sort out housing, health and child care, we'd be doing great.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Think Nazi Germany would have taken the whole island and settled it with German folks. It wouldn't have been too hard to export a million Irish to a gulag in Siberia. The rest of the population would have been moved into the urban centres, and reeducated in speaking German, to work in factories/industry.

The population was under 3 million in the 1950's. Irish people would have been exterminated almost completely. The Nazis would have found it easy peasy to turn Ireland into a giant Nazi farm.

• Advertisement

Think Nazi Germany would have taken the whole island and settled it with German folks.
    I doubt it. They had a generally meh attitude to the country, but some of them loved the oul Celtic romanticism and they thought we'd be agin England.
    It wouldn't have been too hard to export a million Irish to a gulag in Siberia. The rest of the population would have been moved into the urban centres, and reeducated in speaking German, to work in factories/industry.
    Again unlikely and in those days to "export a million Irish to a gulag" would be a lot harder than today, and it would be hard today. They did note the number of Irish Jews here, which according to them was around 4000. Those Irish wouldn't have done so well...
    The Nazis would have found it easy peasy to turn Ireland into a giant Nazi farm.
    Not nearly as easy as you think. You forget the tech of the time. Ireland was "far away" as far as military matters were concerned. The Germans weren't great at sea assaults, actually they were pure sh1te at them. The sea "invasion" of England was cobbled together from canal boats and the like. Paratroopers from the sky? Sure, but again we were far away back then and from mainland Europe, good luck. Plus we had an army and a large bunch of non army who had fought a civil war twenty years back and a couple of military tacticians who had a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Das ist gut

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Sure 1950s Germans would be running the place as it was. The Republic would be West Germany and the North would be the East Germans controlled by the Stasi.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭jetsonx

The Irish psyche is really weird.

A substantial number of Irish drivers seem to have an unusual desire for German-style number plates on their (usually German) cars...

Where is this "need" coming from?

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

jetsonx wrote: »
    The Irish psyche is really weird.

A substantial number of Irish drivers seem to have an unusual desire for German-style number plates on their (usually German) cars...

Where is this "need" coming from?

Astethics. They make the car stand out a bit more, not a fan of the Germanic numerals myself, although I drive a VW. German cars are good, they handle well on our sh1te roads.

Mine currently has tyres from Japan though :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,944 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

How did this thread become a thread about the Brits? :confused:

The British, the Germans...there's really not a lot of difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,421 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Tony EH wrote: »
    The British, the Germans...there's really not a lot of difference.

I think the thread was originally " if the nazi's took over " . Not a modern Germany thing

• Registered Users Posts: 18,944 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Think Nazi Germany would have taken the whole island and settled it with German folks. It wouldn't have been too hard to export a million Irish to a gulag in Siberia. The rest of the population would have been moved into the urban centres, and reeducated in speaking German, to work in factories/industry.

The population was under 3 million in the 1950's. Irish people would have been exterminated almost completely. The Nazis would have found it easy peasy to turn Ireland into a giant Nazi farm.

The Nazis couldn't have cared less about Ireland in reality. There may have been some mickey mouse musings about getting us on side to annoy the British at certain points, but there was never any serious discussion about Ireland either before or during the war.

The Germans had immense trouble everywhere they had to/chose to invade and they were always on the back foot. The idea of wasting time, and troops to even bother setting foot in this country never crossed anyone's mind, except as some light academic conversation piece.

The historical situation was that the Germans were more than happy with the way that Ireland was. Neutral and not giving into British demands to use our western ports. That suited them just fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭fiveleavesleft

nuac wrote: »
    Mod
    The OP refers to the 1950s. The Nazis were off the pitch since April 1945 so leave them out of this. OK?

Lots of Nazi's flourished in West Germany, they were most certainly not off the pitch.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭badabing106

I asked Alexa to compare rent and childcare between Dublin and Berlin in 2019

Dublin vs Berlin

Apartment (1 bedroom) in City Centre 1,637.93 € vs 884.80 €
    Apartment (1 bedroom) Outside of Centre 1,342.17 € vs 648.05 €
    Apartment (3 bedrooms) in City Centre 2,967.47 € vs 1,687.10 €
    Apartment (3 bedrooms) Outside of Centre 2,280.36 € vs 1,190.96 €

Childcare

Dublin vs Berlin

Preschool (or Kindergarten), Full Day, Private, Monthly for 1 Child 1,028.39 € vs 188.39

Advertisement