Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most underated song

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭BOSTIK

These guys are more well known for other things, but in the mid-80s some of their lesser known tunes adorned a few movie soundtracks. Vincent Hanley featured this on MT USA a few times, from the movie of the same name.

I think it's excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,992 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

BOSTIK wrote: »
    These guys are more well known for other things, but in the mid-80s some of their lesser known tunes adorned a few movie soundtracks. Vincent Hanley featured this on MT USA a few times, from the movie of the same name.

I think it's excellent.

And here's another underrated Wang Chung song: Talk It Out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,716 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Wang Chung double CD reissues are due this year. Nice to get all the mixes together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭YoshiSays

Zoom - Fat Larry's Band
    Brilliant.
    What beautiful simple lyrics.
    What a gorgeous vocal.

Posted this in work and made a reference to Zoom video conferencing. Nobody got it. Sigh!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vTnff0pkgs

I have loads but this first came to my head, also its a personal story...

• Advertisement

^^^

"Night Owl" is great, I love the album version with the longer intro.

This little gem managed to reach the Top 30 back in 1988. Marc Almond has been involved in more well known material, but this solo single still sounds fresh.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,859 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Listened to Antony and the Johnsons, hope there's someone last night, a live version.

forgot how wonderful it is.

Anyone say Good Vibrations yet?

Anyone say Good Vibrations yet?

That's hardly an underated song !

YoshiSays wrote: »
    That's hardly an underated song !

Maybe underappreciated is more appropriate. Plenty of people I know simply dismiss The Beach Boys as a novelty band. Good Vibrations included.

• Advertisement

Maybe underappreciated is more appropriate. Plenty of people I know simply dismiss The Beach Boys as a novelty band. Good Vibrations included.

Still?

I remember them being dismissed in the mid-80s when the critical acclaim for Pet Sounds wasn't really there and not many cared about the long lost Smile. But now, you'd think people would know better and appreciate their genius and many great records.

Still?

I remember them being dismissed in the mid-80s when the critical acclaim for Pet Sounds wasn't really there and not many cared about the long lost Smile. But now, you'd think people would know better and appreciate their genius and many great records.

Maybe it's just my experience. But they don't seem as ubiquitous as other bands of that era.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,866 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

The last song on my favourite album of all time Automatic for the People, I think its the most nostalgic piece of music ever for me anyway:

Thargor wrote: »
    The last song on my favourite album of all time Automatic for the People, I think its the most nostalgic piece of music ever for me anyway:

Got that on a T Shirt before I went to Australia for work.
    And yes I found the river.
    But unfortunately I bloody came back.
    Should have stayed a least few years longer.

Thargor wrote: »

Brilliant end to that album - Kitten / Swimming / River

I first heard this when watching the excellent Wayne Wang movie "Smoke". It features in a heartwarming montage with Harvey Kietel's character at the end of the film and fits absolutely perfectly.

Tom Waits is just brilliant at this sort of thing:

That was a brilliant example of matching the music to the images. Great film as is Blue In The Face.

I like the instrumentation on this, nice pipe solo too. It was never cool in 1985 when it hit the Top 30, but I liked it anyway.

Love this song. Not only underrated but does not get played as often as it used to.

Cool Night by Paul Davis.

Nice tune Declan. I have it on this compilation CD - great series - https://www.discogs.com/Various-Hard-To-Find-45s-On-CD-Volume-14-70s-80s-Pop-Classics/release/5919832

• Advertisement

I haven't heard this for decades. Apparently one of the band members is the younger sister of Mama Cass. Now she's an attorney.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,330 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

maybe the title weighs against it. and the fact that it's extremely difficult to understand the lyrics. but it's great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭JackTC

Not your typical Green Day song, similar to Time of your life.

Proof that Billie Joe could write good songs at one point.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,581 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

People are more familiar with Bring It Back and The Time Is Now, but this is pretty fab.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

• Registered Users Posts: 13,624 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

You gotta admit it's catchy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,470 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

There are not many songs this brilliant with just 178 views on Youtube (after three years).
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwXhAwLjfUk

I Love It When You Call Me Names by Joan Armatrading.

Nice little belter from 1987. I prefer this to their more commercially successful 1970s disco revivals.

• Advertisement

Used to hear this a lot on Atlantic 252 back in the day. Not as well known as the thespians in his family, but this is a fine track.

Advertisement