Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Weather 2016/17 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Looking at MT's and other forecasts, it seems the bbc forecast last Sunday was fairly spot on

To be fair there was uncertainty re the track of the two storms given that most swing to the north east outside of FI. Escaped by a few hundred miles so while windy nothing overly dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

To be fair there was uncertainty re the track of the two storms given that most swing to the north east outside of FI. Escaped by a few hundred miles so while windy nothing overly dangerous.

Oh I know, I meant MT's and other forecasts today, I know weather can change fairly quickly, was just saying the bbc's forecast last Sunday was fairly accurate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

We're due decent January snowfall. Bar 1st-12th Jan 2010 there has been very little since 1987. January 1991, January 1996 (around 28th Jan) and January 1997 (the first 10 days) had some snow alright. But really heavy falls, no, and not widespread for lower ground.

And no snow in the real core of the winter, January 15th-January 28th, when our coldest ever temperature was set, -19.1, on 19th January 1881.

Januarys with heavy snowfall were always on a par with July heatwaves that reached 30C. Now many Julys have reached 30C recently inc this year, 2013, 2006, 2005. But the January snowfalls aren't keeping apace.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,106 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Did a July this year not reach 30c?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

It's not strictly related to storm Barbara but it is in the aftermath and the storm did cause this airflow.

But I wonder will we have wintry showers following on from the storm front?
    It's nearly always a sign when you see these clouds on the satellite picture.

screenshot_1.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ArKl0w

The tops of the Donegal hills maybe
    It's not cold enough where people actually live
    Better to concentrate on the FI thread for hope ;)

ArKl0w wrote: »
    The tops of the Donegal hills maybe
    It's not cold enough where people actually live
    Better to concentrate on the FI thread for hope ;)

Yea but it will actually be wintry (whether snow or hail).

I don't care what happens on the ground.:P
    But when you see those clouds in the sat, they do be wintry.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Eamondomc

Its lashing rain here for the last hour.
    It lashed earlier on and cleared for a while and its looking like clearing again now. Gusty but not really bad winds, I think most of Barbara will pass us by in Longford.
    Definitely too mild for anything wintry here as yet anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

a mild xmas day :(

don't like it, i like my xmas days to be frosty, snowy or foggy

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Did a July this year not reach 30c?

Now many Julys have reached 30C recently inc this year, 2013, 2006, 2005.

Mount Dillon on 19th July 30.4C

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Well I would get over the blowtorch Christmas day, if we could bank some of the charts being shown for early January. They would lead to our first proper snow fall since January 2010- when a Met Eireann radio presenter said(through grinding teeth): "you can never turn your back on snow" due to being caught out by a surprise snowfall just before the cold spell came to an end that year.

Ah yes, the January 12/13 snowfall of 2010. Very much a high ground affair.

I remember digging out.. Note the depth, i'm 6ft 3in. Also in my day job my boss was wondering why i was out of work so i sent him these pics :D

18938_274264935907_2503687_n.jpg?oh=64b4eb1de6ef3da844d0e6802e7e6379&oe=58EB9975

18938_276960535907_6018330_n.jpg?oh=75bdf0f028634eb168e77c6bb5380b7f&oe=58DBD517

18938_276969260907_6144632_n.jpg?oh=b254e957a8a97d2a964a8f4d7f987a55&oe=58D8CDF4

18938_274289235907_2351540_n.jpg?oh=41dfe60c8966f80dc643daf4f3026435&oe=58E53545

18938_274264945907_6740229_n.jpg?oh=a8774f3421168e97da980fe9dfcfa58c&oe=58F3502F

Digging about 3ft outside the front door and still not near the ground.

We had a hill snow on 31st March that year that was almost as heavy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Nice pics, where was that? On mobile so can't see your location

I remember the March 31st event well, drove from Tipperary to Letterkenny that day and watched the heavy rain turn progressively more to snow the further north we got. Ended up getting stuck and having to wait for a plough to clear the road while going through the Barnesmore Gap.

There folks weren't as lucky

http://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/breakingnews/breakingnews_ukandireland/300-rescued-from-glenshane-blizzards-28526819.html

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Was there another huge snowfall in March 2012 as well? i remember someone posting pictures from a roadside in Cavan, the snowdrifts were like something you'd expect to see in North America during winter, not Ireland in springtime!

ps I am glad you had your priorities straight; enjoying the snow is more important than any day job:p

Sorry i didn't hit the quote button but a reply to Donegal Storm..

It's in Co. Laois on a 3 county border with Carlow and Kilkenny. It reaches to 340m asl.

Interesting little piece on the area below, especially the last 2 paragraphs which paint us as bolsheviks! Mining was big in the area. Kind of unique in many ways. Last place in Leinster that gaelic was spoken as the first language. Rathcairn, Meath, would have had Connemara families brought there in the early 20th century.

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~irlcar2/Bilboa.htm

Your parents were badly caught out, hope they got home ok. Those events take more out of people if they're elderly.

Was there another huge snowfall in March 2012 as well? i remember someone posting pictures from a roadside in Cavan, the snowdrifts were like something you'd expect to see in North America during winter, not Ireland in springtime!

ps I am glad you had your priorities straight; enjoying the snow is more important than any day job:p

March 22nd Northern Ireland in 2013? Early March 2012 snow showers with some covering but nothing too major. I know the UK had serious snow blizzards on 3rd April 2012.

We had the 'heatwave' at the end of March 2012. 21/22C.

I was having trouble in those January 201o pics clearing paths for to use machinery to get fodder to animals :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ArKl0w

Did someone mention snow,this was taken in Arklow exactly 6 years ago today

If anyone goes meh typical boring irish weather, i'll murder them.;):D

Squall lines crossing the country and a tornado in Dublin. Brilliant.:D

Now to another squall line and more tornadoes on Christmas Day.:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Eamondomc

Its not boring, but it is typical Irish weather.
    Today was interesting tbs here anyway, wind that moved anything not tied down, I finally put the patio set away, rain like a monsoon, no need to powerwash the yard, sun that would blind you, had to put on me shades while driving for a while, and Jesus I thought there was a stretch this evening?

• Advertisement

Eamondomc wrote: »
    Its not boring, but it is typical Irish weather.
    Today was interesting tbs here anyway, wind that moved anything not tied down, I finally put the patio set away, rain like a monsoon, no need to powerwash the yard, sun that would blind you, had to put on me shades while driving for a while, and Jesus I thought there was a stretch this evening?

There actually is a stretch in the evening :)

Sunrise Dublin 23 Dec 8:39
    Sunset Dublin 23 Dec 16:10

Sunrise Dublin 15 Dec 8:34
    Sunset Dublin 15 Dec 16:06

The same is true nationally with sunset later in the west. The earliest sunset was between 10th and 15th December.

Where the shortest day comes in is the fact that the mornings are still not be getting bright until later. The latest time being from tomorrow 24th December until 31st December at 8:40. That time of sunrise in the west will be later. So the combination of sunrise and sunset which produces the shortest day/least daylight is 21st December.

So yes, the evening was roughly 4min longer than at the earliest time of sunset, last week.

You get the sunset and sunrise times on the web but you can't beat Old Moore's Almanac when you have it to hand ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

That was the 2010 event iirc, the photos just weren't posted until a year or two later

The other one was in March & April 2013 as negdefy mentioned, arguably the worst snowstorm in living memory for the NE of Northern Ireland. I was in Belfast at the time and even at sea level in April the snow was over a foot deep and didn't melt for about 10 days, crazy times.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-26689384

That was the 2010 event iirc, the photos just weren't posted until a year or two later

The other one was in March & April 2013 as negdefy mentioned, arguably the worst snowstorm in living memory for the NE of Northern Ireland. I was in Belfast at the time and even at sea level in April the snow was over a foot deep and didn't melt for about 10 days, crazy times.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-26689384

That was a rough month. With the bitter easterlies it felt almost as cold as December 2010 (though obviously temps were much higher). I remember a lot of ice days in late March at home.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Projected rainfall totals for tomorrow from the warm front

wnbOBJB.gif?1

wuFjhzC.png

Cold front on Sunday looks weaker then today's

5ip5OBs.gif

tjf07xc.png

• Registered Users Posts: 10,063 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Damp and wet in castlebar on this Christmas eve. Happy Christmas to all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Damaging wind gusts for western coastal areas tonight with severe winds continuing in coastal areas of the west tomorrow says the latest met update.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Beginning to look more interesting in the extended range in the last couple of EC runs.

ECH1-240.GIF?24-0

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Warm plume of air being dragged up by Storm Conor's warm front and being replaced by cool Maritime air Sunday night into Monday.

td2DSvB.gif

XuMHYWt.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,106 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Dewpoint unusually low here in West Clare this evening, showing -1c on the weather station, temperature of +7.4c.

Advertisement