Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Weather 2016/17 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

-13C over Clare on Evelyn's 9.30 forecast for tonight!! Talk about a micro climate!

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

At 1.30 in the morning the birds are singing like a it's a midsummers day. What the hell is going on??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

At 1.30 in the morning the birds are singing like a it's a midsummers day. What the hell is going on??

Same in sallins at 4am

What the hell !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Missymoohaa

Yes same here in West wicklow, noticed birds singing around four am last few mornings. Is that unusual?

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

That'd be the super moon I reckon. The birdies may think its sunrise!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

2c and raining in Knock at 10:30am. Any snow on nearby mountains?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Yes same here in West wicklow, noticed birds singing around four am last few mornings. Is that unusual?

Nothing too unusual, any time from 4:00am onwards is the start of the "dawn corus".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

What's the forecast for Christmas?

It's a little too far out at this stage for anything of real certainty. Keep looking at the daily forecasts from MT http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=101974507&postcount=4303 . The real picture will start to emerge over the coming days.
    Forecasts can change very rapidly and it's only ever a day or two in advance that you will have any real idea of what may happen.
    My bet is on wet and windy!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    My bet is on wet and windy!

Looking at trends of the models over the last few days,odds would be on an unsettled picture with a possible major storm Christmas Eve. Models have been all over the place of late so still nothing anyway certain.
    In the broader picture I would be surprised if we went through the Xmas period without getting at least one named storm.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The atlantic staying very much in charge up to 1st week of January so far, some cooler periods and very windy conditions over Christmas week. Anyone wishing for decent snow can forget about it!.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ArKl0w

Gonzo wrote: »
    The atlantic staying very much in charge up to 1st week of January so far, some cooler periods and very windy conditions over Christmas week. Anyone wishing for decent snow can forget about it!.

It's looking like our normal winter weather,the usual wet and windy spells,nothing too excessive

MT must be pulling his hair out regarding his winter forecast because it was fairly wrong
    The colder than average December outlook from the U.K. Met office is also Wrong

Nature 1

Lrf's nill

• Registered Users Posts: 16,650 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

ArKl0w wrote: »
    It's looking like our normal winter weather,the usual wet and windy spells,nothing too excessive

MT must be pulling his hair out regarding his winter forecast because it was fairly wrong

Nature 1

Lrf's nill

I had high hopes for December when the BBC gave their long range outlook. They were spot on with the 2010 cold outbreak, just as MT was. We have been unfortunate the blocking high did not set up favourably to pave the way for snowy weather. Maybe a ssw event, if we get one, might deliver.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

ArKl0w wrote: »

Nature 1

Lrf's nill

this could be another forgettable winter, there looks to be no let up in the power of the Atlantic any time soon. After such a great Autumn and November, December is back to the same old westerly muck we get every winter.

Let's hope the patterns change over next few weeks to show something more snow and easterly for mid January onwards.

My mam used say 'the birds that sing in Winter will cry in Spring'. Basically you often get a harsh March and April after a mild winter, which has a grain of truth to it.

nagdefy wrote: »
    My mam used say 'the birds that sing in Winter will cry in Spring'. Basically you often get a harsh March and April after a mild winter, which has a grain of truth to it.

and by then it's too late for decent snow that stays on the ground.

2013 was a harsh March and we had several light to moderate snowfalls over night, all melted by midday.

Gonzo wrote: »
    and by then it's too late for decent snow that stays on the ground.

It's actually more normal for us or at least more common to have winter in spring

Sky is still clear here in Arklow,might there be a frost before the rain arrives tonight
    Today has been beautiful, the perfect antidote to yesterday here when it rained all day

anything is an improvement over yesterday. Mostly sunny all day, side roads here are still covered in mud and water from yesterday. Yesterday was one of the darkest, wettest and dirtiest days since the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Yes indeed, Christmas week looking very interesting at the moment. All models point to a disruptive storm around Christmas eve.
    Of course it wouldn't be the first time that we got a serious storm as it did happen around 15 years ago (forget exact year) on Christmas Eve.

With emergency personnel such as esb on skeleton staff it would cause a lot of disruption.
    I would imagine the Irish Met will be keeping a very close eye on developments as they would need to pre warn the likes of esb

Yes indeed, Christmas week looking very interesting at the moment. All models point to a disruptive storm around Christmas eve.
    Of course it wouldn't be the first time that we got a serious storm as it did happen around 15 years ago (forget exact year) on Christmas Eve.

With emergency personnel such as esb on skeleton staff it would cause a lot of disruption.
    I would imagine the Irish Met will be keeping a very close eye on developments as they would need to pre warn the likes of esb

1997 it was :)

I remember it well. Was bringing a mare in out of a field and had trouble getting her into her house as she was frightened with the wind. She kicked me rearing up and knocked me out for about an hour.

The storm was so bad we didn't bother with casualty.

Then Stephen's Day 1998, the following year, the northern half of the country got the brunt of a powerful storm.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭je551e

Where's Maq ?usually about when there's something interesting coming up?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Hasn't been on here in months

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

Never seen this site before nagdify mentioned it. Am flying to uk next Thursday. Will weather be ok. ?. Flying from dublin.

Never seen this site before nagdify mentioned it. Am flying to uk next Thursday. Will weather be ok. ?. Flying from dublin.

It would be hard to pinpoint exactly donkeykong. I've looked at the main forecasting models and at the moment next Thursday is just a breezy day. But in a fast moving Atlantic flow things can change quickly. Around Sunday you'd have a better idea. Best to keep listening to forecasts as timing changes. Next week has potential stormy weather.

Follow MT's daily forecasts here. He's excellent.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055579971&page=287

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Despite it being a holiday period, the ESB, local authorities, the emergency services and other interested bodies will be taking careful soundings from Met Eireann, on this and any similar type events.

In the case of the ESB, the planning will take place in the lead up to the storm but obviously their response will not kick into gear until the weather conditions would improve to allow the crews work safely. Notwithstanding this being a holiday period, repair crews will be rostered on in case they are needed. There are also "buddy" arrangements between the ESB, NIE and a number of UK electricity providers to assist one another. In the case of storm Darwin in 2014, the ESB sent crews up north and Scotland to assist once they were on top of things down here.

Of all of the front line agencies which need to mobilise in bad weather, the ESB is probably the best equipped and best prepared for situations like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

1997 it was :)

I remember it well. Was bringing a mare in out of a field and had trouble getting her into her house as she was frightened with the wind. She kicked me rearing up and knocked me out for about an hour.

The storm was so bad we didn't bother with casualty.

Then Stephen's Day 1998, the following year, the northern half of the country got the brunt of a powerful storm.

I just hope we are not martyred with more of this drivel weather this year especially at Christmas. One sure way to ruin Christmas is a hurricane. Probably won't happen though if it is predicted. Those 1997 and 1998 hurricanes came out of the blue. Last year was pretty miserable after Christmas but not as bad as 1997 and 1998.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

It would be hard to pinpoint exactly donkeykong. I've looked at the main forecasting models and at the moment next Thursday is just a breezy day. But in a fast moving Atlantic flow things can change quickly. Around Sunday you'd have a better idea. Best to keep listening to forecasts as timing changes. Next week has potential stormy weather.

Follow MT's daily forecasts here. He's excellent.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055579971&page=287
    Thanks a million. This site is very good.

Raining heavy almost 12 hrs now and here is the rub,an expanding Euro/U.K. High will cause fronts to stall over Eastern Ireland like this
    Sometimes over the west or the far SW(like all that west Kerry rain a few months ago)
    When you're under it you'll know all about it
    Today's doesn't look like exiting south Wicklow/Wexford until evening:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

Is there a technical term for todays weather?

screenshot_1.png

I mean you have High pressure to the west of Ireland with it's associated clockwise moving airmass and High pressure to the east of Ireland and it's clockwise moving airmass and then we have a very narrow elongated area of Low pressure in between. I think it's unusual anyway.
    Is there a technical term for this or do you just call it a weather front??:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

screenshot_1.png
    I had to look it up.:p

I'm not sure if there is a technical term for the area of low pressure sandwiched between the two areas of high pressure but the front is called an occluded front (that is a mixture of a cold front and a warm front together, i.e the cold front caught up with the warm front). Then the arrows on the front point in the direction that the front is moving and as we can see on our OC front the arrows are on both sides of the purple line at Ireland (so stationary or not moving much).
    It's a long occluded front though going from Spain to Iceland.

(You learn something new everyday).:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Not a bad afternoon for the 16th December , view from the mall in Castlebar ,long shadows with the very low sun

Advertisement