Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

will house prices in dublin fall post brexit?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Zenify

I heard the 7% figure being used at some of the Brexit talks. The Journal have an article on it too based on a report titled "Even in the best-case Brexit scenario, the Irish economy will still take a hit - government report". The mention the 7%drop if we have a no deal scenario. But as you can see from the title Brexit will not be good for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭mkdon

Zenify wrote: »
    I heard the 7% figure being used at some of the Brexit talks. The Journal have an article on it too based on a report titled "Even in the best-case Brexit scenario, the Irish economy will still take a hit - government report". The mention the 7%drop if we have a no deal scenario. But as you can see from the title Brexit will not be good for Ireland.

do you have the link??

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

I'm guessing the poster is referring to the unreleased/partially-leaked report produced by Copenhagen Economics at the start of the year.

The report apparently suggests GDP 7% less or growth 7% less (depending on the source) in the event of a hard Brexit/WTO Brexit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,507 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Graham wrote: »
    I'm guessing the poster is referring to the unreleased/partially-leaked report produced by Copenhagen Economics at the start of the year.

The report apparently suggests GDP 7% less or growth 7% less in the event of a hard Brexit/WTO Brexit.

Its published on both Copenhagen Economics website and the website of the client department.

but to stick to the topic at hand how would this in turn affect house prices........

mkdon wrote: »
    but to stick to the topic at hand how would this in turn affect house prices........

No thanks.

Do your own research OP. Is it a college project your doing or do you work for the media?

here here... just trying to keep the relevance of the topic on track

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 296 ✭✭portcrap

noodler wrote: »
    No thanks.

Do your own research OP. Is it a college project your doing or do you work for the media?

What an odd thing to say on a public forum and on a specific thread you're already participating in.

Back to your question OP, it depends if the economic impact directly affects jobs and therefore disposal income. If the downturn can be largely absorbed by the economy without significant job losses, then it probably wouldn't have an affect on house prices.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Nobody has a bulls notion.

Now if there were no brexit, then still nobody would have a bulls notion.

• Advertisement

apart from a certain Eddie Hobbs ;
    )

portcrap wrote: »
    What an odd thing to say on a public forum and on a specific thread you're already participating in.

Back to your question OP, it depends if the economic impact directly affects jobs and therefore disposal income. If the downturn can be largely absorbed by the economy without significant job losses, then it probably wouldn't have an affect on house prices.

When you create a thread on boards, you are supposed to actually contribute.

Not just chime in every couple of posts with "yes, but what about the effect on house prices".

The OP is clearly doing research of some kind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

I remember someone once commenting that he knew that things had got out of hand during the Tiger years when the price of a cottage in Donegal would buy you a château in France. Ye're not far off that now: for 450000€, take your pick of a 3-bed house on 0.4ha in Letterkenny or a 10-bed château on 5ha in Burgundy.

I wouldn't be surprised if prices fall soon-ish, but doubt it'll have anything to do with Brexit. It's far more likely that Trump will do something stupid (OK, extra-stupid) and pitch the world into a new phase of financial uncertainty. If not him, then some other global event.

lets keep to the topic

very odd thing to say altogether

very odd to repost this again

please stick to the topic and stopping repeating your prior post

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

• Advertisement

interesting ...yes seems like things have gone mental again a correction is over due

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

what is the concensus?
    As with everything post Brexit...

us-toy-tmp-images-catalog-products-m-a-mat3018811.jpg

interesting ...yes seems like things have gone mental again a correction is over due

Well there are plenty of people struggling to find housing. So while there is demand the prices still at least remain level.

I bought 18 months ago(semi-detached), needed a lot of work. House 3 doors down sold 12 months ago(terraced) needed similar level of work sold for 167% of what I paid for mine.

BIL bought only a few months ago, different area but the house is 46% smaller than mine and his cost about 17% more. Difference in location isn't big with regards valuation

Some areas outside Dublin have shortages too

Work for a British retailer, and we've been told nothing since the vote back in 2016. It seems nobody has a clue what's happening

what do you expect to be told by your british retail employer?

• Advertisement

what do you expect to be told by your british retail employer?

What the story is basically.

If there is no freedom of movement between Ireland and England. It means my trips become a bigger headache (visas?). Also supply of products.

A little clarity for what they plan to do for each potential outcome

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭sunnyday1234

I remember someone once commenting that he knew that things had got out of hand during the Tiger years when the price of a cottage in Donegal would buy you a château in France. Ye're not far off that now: for 450000€, take your pick of a 3-bed house on 0.4ha in Letterkenny or a 10-bed château on 5ha in Burgundy.
    That house in Letterkenny is absolutely crazily priced

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »

If there is no freedom of movement between Ireland and England. It means my trips become a bigger headache (visas?). Also supply of products.

Free movement between Ireland and the UK is not going to end, the bottom line is nobody knows but on balance, uncertainty is not good.

By the way, a lot of those in the UK applying for Irish passports are not doing it to move here they could do that anyway, they want hassle-free travel to their second home in France or Italy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭snowcat

That house in Letterkenny is absolutely crazily priced

That is not a house for sale, that is a development site.

mariaalice wrote: »
    Free movement between Ireland and the UK is not going to end, the bottom line is nobody knows but on balance, uncertainty is not good.

By the way, a lot of those in the UK applying for Irish passports are not doing it to move here they could do that anyway, they want hassle-free travel to their second home in France or Italy.

a link on this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,342 ✭✭✭markpb

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »

The retailer has no idea because the British politicians have no idea. There's nothing to tell you because no-one knows. Even the list of possible outcomes is too vague to do much planning for. If they did try to discuss it with you, what use would that be? They'd tell you that a) it will be fine because there'll be a free trade deal or b) it won't be fine and you'll have no job because there's no trade deal and continuing to operate in Ireland would be too expensive or awkward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,295 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Retailers are in a particularly difficult position. Where goods are sourced from and how they are routed may have to change. some goods are partly manufactured in Ireland and partly in the UK or are assembled from goods imported into the UK. How all of this will be done will depend on the terms of any Brexit agreement. It may mean it is no longer economic to stock goods in shops which originate from or pass through Britain. Some shops may close because their business model is destroyed. The price of some consumer goods may rise and substitute products may appear in competition. If I was working in a british owned shop with products in stock coming from the Uk i would be bricking it.

It is also addressed in the draft withdrawal between the EU and UK in which, the Tánaiste said, there is a legal acknowledgement between negotiators on both sides “that the UK and Ireland may continue to make arrangements between themselves” relating to movement of persons between their jurisdictions.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/oireachtas/common-travel-area-a-bilateral-issue-for-uk-and-ireland-says-t%C3%A1naiste-1.3545550

I will have to dig around for a link on the Irish passport thing, it is important to note that Uk citizens have a legal right to reside in Ireland they do not need an Irish passport. Therefore the upsurge in UK citizens looking for an Irish passport is for other reasons it may be to do with work, keeping their lucrative EU job or contracts for example. A lot of UK registered legal staff are registering here as a hedge against Brexit it does not mean they will be wholesale moving here.

Being prepared is great, but I love how threads like this attract the :

We're doomed! brigade

The truth is nobody knows.

mariaalice wrote: »
    Being prepared is great, but I love how threads like this attract the :
    We're doomed! brigade
    The truth is nobody knows.

No-one has suggested that they do know. However, the reality is that a no-deal Brexit will have a negative impact on Ireland and, possibly, on house prices. It's hard to argue with that. Given that we're only a few months away from the Brexit date and no-one knows if the deal will be accepted, there's no real way to plan for it. Should companies start to move their supply chain away from the UK now, even though it might not be necessary and could result in a less efficient operation? Should exporting companies batten the hatches prepare to lose a major market if customs rules are in place?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Moonjet

markpb wrote: »
    No-one has suggested that they do know. However, the reality is that a no-deal Brexit will have a negative impact on Ireland and, possibly, on house prices. It's hard to argue with that.

It could also drive up property prices if there's a capital flight out of London. Like you said, nobody knows yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,106 ✭✭✭✭listermint

No-one has suggested that they do know. However, the reality is that a no-deal Brexit will have a negative impact on Ireland and, possibly, on house prices. It's hard to argue with that. Given that we're only a few months away from the Brexit date and no-one knows if the deal will be accepted, there's no real way to plan for it. Should companies start to move their supply chain away from the UK now, even though it might not be necessary and could result in a less efficient operation? Should exporting companies batten the hatches prepare to lose a major market if customs rules are in place?

No lets get to grips with real facts.

There are no houses, we have build a handle of thousand in the last few years. Which means the commodity is rare.

that never means cheaper.

Anyone who is looking for 2008 style crash in housing prices will be severely disappointed.

And yes the economy will take a hit they are saying 2-2.6% But not enough to put us in greece or UK style recession.

listermint wrote: »
    No lets get to grips with real facts.
    There are no houses, we have build a handle of thousand in the last few years. Which means the commodity is rare.
    that never means cheaper.
    Anyone who is looking for 2008 style crash in housing prices will be severely disappointed.
    And yes the economy will take a hit they are saying 2-2.6% But not enough to put us in greece or UK style recession.

Your post cracks me up. It's like a condensed summary of every pub conversation in Ireland between 2005 and 2008. First they said it wouldn't happen because "the fundamentals are sound", "Ireland is different" and "there aren't enough houses". Then they accused negative people of talking down the economy in the hope of getting cheap houses (which led to Bertie's gaff telling negative people they should commit suicide). When things started to slow down, the same people backtracked from their line that a recession was impossible and started trotting out the "soft landing" rubbish. Ironically, during the downturn, anyone suggesting that it could be on the way back up was shot down equally quickly. The idea in 2010 (at the very depths of the recession) that we'd have a boom in 2015 was ridiculous and widely scorned.

The shortage of houses was quickly rendered moot by tens of thousands of people leaving the country because they couldn't get a job any more. The remaining houses could not be sold because the banks pulled up the ladder and stopped lending (although you'd imagine the EU and CB rules would help mitigate that risk this time).

Market Economies are very fragile, Ireland's particularly so. All it takes is a lack of confidence and it all comes tumbling down. If prices start to rise significantly in shops or if goods can't make it here to be sold, retailers will be the first to go which means job losses. Job losses mean less spending in the economy so other retailers are next in line. The rest is history.

Like I said before, I've one apartment barely out of negative equity and another house which wasn't cheap. I'm the last person hoping for a recession but anyone confidently telling us that it'll all be fine is blissfully ignorant of economics and history and that's a dangerous place to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

There was no shortage of houses in 2006/07. We were building way too many propped up by cheap and abundant credit. This time is totally different, not necessarily better but it is different. Statements like "sure that's what they all said last time" are completely ignoring the huge differences in the housing market compared to 10 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,106 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Your post cracks me up. It's like a condensed summary of every pub conversation in Ireland between 2005 and 2008. First they said it wouldn't happen because "the fundamentals are sound", "Ireland is different" and "there aren't enough houses". Then they accused negative people of talking down the economy in the hope of getting cheap houses (which led to Bertie's gaff telling negative people they should commit suicide). When things started to slow down, the same people backtracked from their line that a recession was impossible and started trotting out the "soft landing" rubbish. Ironically, during the downturn, anyone suggesting that it could be on the way back up was shot down equally quickly. The idea in 2010 (at the very depths of the recession) that we'd have a boom in 2015 was ridiculous and widely scorned.

The shortage of houses was quickly rendered moot by tens of thousands of people leaving the country because they couldn't get a job any more. The remaining houses could not be sold because the banks pulled up the ladder and stopped lending (although you'd imagine the EU and CB rules would help mitigate that risk this time).

Market Economies are very fragile, Ireland's particularly so. All it takes is a lack of confidence and it all comes tumbling down. If prices start to rise significantly in shops or if goods can't make it here to be sold, retailers will be the first to go which means job losses. Job losses mean less spending in the economy so other retailers are next in line. The rest is history.

Like I said before, I've one apartment barely out of negative equity and another house which wasn't cheap. I'm the last person hoping for a recession but anyone confidently telling us that it'll all be fine is blissfully ignorant of economics and history and that's a dangerous place to be.

Pub talk....

You are aware we were over supplied in the tens of thousands during that period

Right now we needed about 35k houses a year to be built but are managing about 25% of that figure.

There is only one person here engaged in pub talk.

Probably thinks Fiats are crap too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Were we really oversupplied? How much of that was houses in estates in the middle of nowhere?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,295 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Brexit, whether hard or soft will affect Ireland negatively. The only issue is how bad it is going to be. there will be higher inflation which will ramp up wage demands . Bank lending will be much less for housing and so prices will fall. the only question is, by how much. It is likely a lot of east europeans will go home when the shtf. emigration to australia, canada and the Middle east will accelerate. Ex pats will not come home. There will be no housing shortage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

There was no shortage of houses in 2006/07. We were building way too many propped up by cheap and abundant credit. This time is totally different, not necessarily better but it is different. Statements like "sure that's what they all said last time" are completely ignoring the huge differences in the housing market compared to 10 years ago.

Why is there a shortage? Because there is a large number of buyers, not because of any mythical number that remains a constant.
    Downturn means less jobs, immigrants leave, young poeple emigrate and suddently there isn't a large number of buyers and less renters so landlords start selling, now the shortage is gone.

I'm certainly not saying the above will happen because of brexit, but I wouldnt be betting my house that it won't happen either, who knows??

Anyone on this thread saying something "will" or "won't" happen probably knows the least about what could happen and their opinions should be ignored.

Where is the evidence that it will affect Ireland negatively either way? Media sure is painting a different picture

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭ArnieSilvia

Not sure if it's Brexit related but the stock markets look like the bloodbath in the last few days.
    Bitcoin has gone to gutter in the last two days, shocking drop.
    The Irish consumer confidence index worst in the EU I read recently
    Also, the Italy and Turkey seem like a ticking bomb

Interestingly, what is different this time, is that the emerging market currencies (few I'm watching) did not respond like they used to so investors are not pulling out of there. Plummeting pound means they are getting out of UK though

Where is the evidence that it will affect Ireland negatively either way? Media sure is painting a different picture

Is it a school project you're doing OP?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

Look at what people in business are saying. More red tape and associated higher costs at a minimum. Collapse of many export markets and more expensive imports as well as more red tape at worst.

Not sure if it's Brexit related but the stock markets look like the bloodbath in the last few days.
    Bitcoin has gone to gutter in the last two days, shocking drop.
    The Irish consumer confidence index worst in the EU I read recently
    Also, the Italy and Turkey seem like a ticking bomb

Interestingly, what is different this time, is that the emerging market currencies (few I'm watching) did not respond like they used to so investors are not pulling out of there. Plummeting pound means they are getting out of UK though

Using bitcoin as any kind of reliable tracker of general
    market performance is utterly ridiculous. Stock markets have been on massive bear run and are due a correction. Brexit is probably the trigger for it but it was inevitable. I just don't see these things as harbingers of a massive Irish property price collapse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Graham wrote: »
    Stop nit picking.

Mod Note:

The topic is: will house prices in Dublin fall post Brexit?

Dublin has not achieved the contingency planning influx some predicted it could. Given the predicted negative economic impact to exports then I fear we will lose an important part of a strong economy - exports to the UK; which will result in even more reliance on multinationals and the employment they bring to the country. These workers do not generally tend to think about setting down roots in Ireland so they would only be seeking to rent not buy houses. As such, I see house prices falling.

Dublin has not achieved the contingency planning influx some predicted it could. Given the predicted negative economic impact to exports then I fear we will lose an important part of a strong economy - exports to the UK; which will result in even more reliance on multinationals and the employment they bring to the country. These workers do not generally tend to think about setting down roots in Ireland so they would only be seeking to rent not buy houses. As such, I see house prices falling.

More people renting will impact supply.

You don't need to be simply purchasing to impact on prices.

• Advertisement

noodler wrote: »
    More people renting will impact supply.

You don't need to be simply purchasing to impact on prices.

I didn't say more people would be renting, but that there would be an over reliance on that sector for employment while other sectors, like agriculture, may suffer job losses.

I didn't say more people would be renting, but that there would be an over reliance on that sector for employment while other sectors, like agriculture, may suffer job losses.

Following that through, farmers etc lose jobs and need to move to work in these multinationals. Most of these are based in and around the major cities. House prices go up.

Following that through, farmers etc lose jobs and need to move to work in these multinationals. Most of these are based in and around the major cities. House prices go up.

I would say emigration is more likely leading to less demand for properties outside big cities and therefore reduced demand leading to reduced prices. Would it?

Did that happen last time?

Did that happen last time?

The last time there was brexit? Must have missed that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement