Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2018/2019 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

I’ve already built my igloo in preparation.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Vxlkss

I'm just wondering, was the latest ECM deemed an outlier?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Vxlkss wrote: »

We can't really deem anything at all for at least another couple of days. Keep an eye on all the major models. Tonight's 12z ECM wasn't the worst tbh, it did show the high pressure dissolving but only at the very end of the run, and with a large opening still in the PV near Greenland - if it continues to downgrade over multiple runs, and if other models get on board, then I'd get concerned. Not yet though. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Vxlkss wrote: »

It was an outlier near the end of the run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,491 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

gfs-0-300.png?0

gfs-1-324.png?0

tumblr_n5z53yeOPO1tzyjzvo1_400.gif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

It’s 15 here in Limerick and I’m melting

Horrendous ECM 0z this morning :eek:

Dissolves the block completely between 168 and 216 hours, and throws us back into a jet stream / Atlantic dominated regime. I can't help wondering if part of the ruckus, and that very compact depression curving up and around the US East Coast which has been showing up on the last few runs is what's left of invest 96-L, a tropical wave which was originally forecast by the NHC to become a tropical storm by this weekend, but ultimately failed to launch and got sheared apart.

The only saving grace on this run is that it does show the Scandi block trying to begin re-establishing on the very last frame, at 240h. Incredibly weak and small, but the yellow patch is there nonetheless, where it had entirely disappeared on the previous frame:

ECH1-240.GIF?15-12

This, to be honest, is where my FI hypocrisy comes in. I'mma choose to believe that this run is just the usual FI BS, while regarding any blocked charts as genuinely likely. :D:D:D

On a serious note, this is still FI and still all to play for, but it's a timely reminder that one small factor can change and therefore disrupt the whole pattern. If I'm right about invest 96-L being the seed for the low pressure which challenges the block near the end of the run, it would be the second time this year that a system of tropical origin has caused major shenanigans, interfering with a block in our part of the world - the other was Hurricane Chris earlier this year, which caused the first real disruption to our prolonged heatwave and threw our models into complete chaos for several days as they tried to get a fix on where exactly he would end up.

If 96L is indeed the origin of this low, expect its behaviour to be somewhat erratic and cause some unpredictable and contradictory model runs. Ultimately, we won't know what's going to happen with that until we get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

:-(

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

Horrendous ECM 0z this morning :eek:

Dissolves the block completely between 168 and 216 hours, and throws us back into a jet stream / Atlantic dominated regime. I can't help wondering if part of the ruckus, and that very compact depression curving up and around the US East Coast which has been showing up on the last few runs is what's left of invest 96-L, a tropical wave which was originally forecast by the NHC to become a tropical storm by this weekend, but ultimately failed to launch and got sheared apart.

The only saving grace on this run is that it does show the Scandi block trying to begin re-establishing on the very last frame, at 240h. Incredibly weak and small, but the yellow patch is there nonetheless, where it had entirely disappeared on the previous frame:

ECH1-240.GIF?15-12

This, to be honest, is where my FI hypocrisy comes in. I'mma choose to believe that this run is just the usual FI BS, while regarding any blocked charts as genuinely likely. :D:D:D

On a serious note, this is still FI and still all to play for, but it's a timely reminder that one small factor can change and therefore disrupt the whole pattern. If I'm right about invest 96-L being the seed for the low pressure which challenges the block near the end of the run, it would be the second time this year that a system of tropical origin has caused major shenanigans, interfering with a block in our part of the world - the other was Hurricane Chris earlier this year, which caused the first real disruption to our prolonged heatwave and threw our models into complete chaos for several days as they tried to get a fix on where exactly he would end up.

If 96L is indeed the origin of this low, expect its behaviour to be somewhat erratic and cause some unpredictable and contradictory model runs. Ultimately, we won't know what's going to happen with that until we get there.

This is very far from a dissolved block. I think people may be getting used to fillet steak output and are now referring to rump-steak as gristle! Look at the pressure which remains over Scandanavia. The pattern is still blocked, very blocked, with undercutting, and I would say that a reload would follow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

That is not a horrendous 0z run from the ECM, its not ideal but it's very far from horrendous. It's just a variation on the same theme, yes it could be the correct solution but I doubt any model has this right yet. It wouldn't exactly be warm if the ECM came to pass either, GFS and UKMO looking very good still, lots of flipping and flopping to come. This is the rollercoaster of model watching.

Yaaaay BLIZZARD7 and KingdomRushed!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

The ECM 0z (also ECM 12z of last night) is the kind of scenario that plagued December 1978 in creating a very wet month with close to average temperatures. I could imagine many frustrated faces from a month like such. It was followed by the coldest January since 1963 and the coldest New Year period for a long time, colder than 1963. This January has not been bettered since including by 2010 for its depth of cold.

January is the month to watch out for if you ask me. Like I said previously, I have no strong thoughts on December being anything special though many forecasts and some models disagree with me a lot on this. Several differing opinions on if this Winter will be front loaded, fully loaded or back loaded. I’m kinda leaning towards back loaded despite the QBO. Hopefully nature can prove me wrong.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Everyone remain calm! :D

*screw it, go nuts

BORN.gif

The ECM operational is an outlier in the ensemble suite this morning. The general theme is more blocked and cold than the operational. Steady as she goes. Looking forward to the morning GFS run.

im-so-excited-meme.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭sjb25

Wexford Co co expecting excitement

• Registered Users Posts: 16,648 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

sryanbruen wrote: »

I’m kinda leaning towards back loaded despite the QBO. Hopefully nature can prove me wrong.

Why exactly are you leaning to a backloaded winter, with the declining QBO easterly phase surely that favours a milder end to winter? What factors do you see overriding this?

This is very far from a dissolved block. I think people may be getting used to fillet steak output and are now referring to rump-steak as gristle! Look at the pressure which remains over Scandanavia. The pattern is still blocked, very blocked, with undercutting, and I would say that a reload would follow.
    BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    That is not a horrendous 0z run from the ECM, its not ideal but it's very far from horrendous. It's just a variation on the same theme, yes it could be the correct solution but I doubt any model has this right yet. It wouldn't exactly be warm if the ECM came to pass either, GFS and UKMO looking very good still, lots of flipping and flopping to come. This is the rollercoaster of model watching.

On reflection, there may have been some element of morning grumpiness in my initial assessment :D That large, possibly ex-96L low does concern me, but this morning's GFS (a thing of absolute beauty!) isn't picking up on it at all and the UKMO actually has the block shove that system back towards North America :D Apologies if my post startled anyone :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

I've a flight out of Dublin on the 07th of December, will I be ok?**

**I'm joking:D:D

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I'm reserving my excitement for now unless we get into a very reliable time frame for the colder and possibly snowy conditions that's being hinted at during last week of November. However, it does seem that the Atlantic is being shut off and is packing it's bags for another holiday.

For now I am really looking forward to things turning dryer over the next week with seasonal temperatures taking hold. FI is hinting towards cold conditions building into bitter conditions lasting well into the first week of December and possibly beyond.

Alot to play for over the next 3 weeks, but I'm going to take it day by day to see what happens before building up far too much hope.

We struck it lucky with direct hits in 2010 and earlier this year. Its crazy to think that all the charts over the next 3 weeks could happen in the same year as the Beast From The East, Storm Emma and the Summer heatwave.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Gonzo wrote: »
    I'm reserving my excitement for now unless we get into a very reliable time frame for the colder and possibly snowy conditions that's being hinted at during last week of November. However, it does seem that the Atlantic is being shut off and is packing it's bags for another holiday.

For now I am really looking forward to things turning dryer over the next week with seasonal temperatures taking hold. FI is hinting towards cold conditions building into bitter conditions lasting well into the first week of December and possibly beyond.

Alot to play for over the next 3 weeks, but I'm going to take it day by day to see what happens before building up far too much hope.

We struck it lucky with direct hits in 2010 and earlier this year. Its crazy to think that all the charts over the next 3 weeks could happen in the same year as the Beast From The East, Storm Emma and the Summer heatwave.

Don't forget about the cold wet weather in March (after Storm Emma) and April this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Strangegravy

Very interesting to see the model watching and potential Easterlies starting so early this year.

For me, it's watching to see if after a few months of relatively quiet solar activity, will it correlate again with more frequent stable colder weather patterns emerging from the east/north east, rather than our typical messy, westerly Atlantic friends.

If it does and some of the current data about a possible new longer solar minimum comes to pass... Fun times in here over the next few winters and beyond! ðŸ˜ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

Don't forget about the cold wet weather in March (after Storm Emma) and April this year.

And more snow for some mid-March. Here's a short video from late St. Patricks night snow this year.

https://streamable.com/2cubn

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭kittyn

Rougies wrote: »
    And more snow for some mid-March. Here's a short video from late St. Patricks night snow this year.

https://streamable.com/2cubn

Where did you shoot that? I know the road but I just can't place it lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

https://mobile.twitter.com/MJVentrice/status/1063073630249250816

An exceptional December pattern, swap out 'northeast' for Ireland and the UK in that tweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,491 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

At this time of year it takes a couple of bites of the cherry but as long as the overall flow remains persistent and we see the deep cold air getting a foothold in Scandinavia and then down in to the continent.

That has not happened yet so the initial incursion next week is not going to be that really dry, frigid type of cold we saw in March.

Give it another week or two however and it would be a very different story!...if the pattern remains consistent and it broadly looks a good bet that it will right now..

At this time of year it takes a couple of bites of the cherry but as long as the overall flow remains persistent and we see the deep cold air getting a foothold in Scandinavia and then down in to the continent.

That has not happened yet so the initial incursion next week is not going to be that really dry, frigid type of cold we saw in March.

Give it another week or two however and it would be a very different story!...if the pattern remains consistent and it broadly looks a good bet that it will right now..

But I'm sure we've been let down like this in the past Kermit? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Met Eireann weather app and forecast for my location in Kilkenny is showing a high of 5C for next Wednesday in a north easterly wind.

• Advertisement

I agree with Kermit. Nothing going to happen right away even when the wind turns east. Gonna take a few weeks. Get Northern Europe buried in snow, weak jet stream holds south, then bide our time. It will come

Advertisement