Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another mass shooting in the U.S

Options

Comments

wow just say this not shocking at all

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭RuthieRose

EZ24GET wrote: »

I agree that this man must be mentally deranged, to kill innocent children, but how can you make someone seek help? How can you know what evil thoughts are lurking in someone elses mind?

You cant make anyone ask for help. I'm no expert on the signs that someone could be a mass murder but if I thought something was wrong with someone I knew then I would be asking for help in what to do. Maybe the family did. I'm sure it will come to light.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

NIMAN wrote: »
    I have just seen Obama's press conference on it, and for me if he was to make steps to take weapons out of the hands of maniacs then it would be the greatest thing a US president will have done in recent times.

For me, it is not right that nearly anybody can go out and buy automatic weapons. That is not a normal society imho.

And they can't just buy automatic weapons, they are banned. And they weren't used in this event. Do we have to keep going over this?
    We see the crocodile tears everytime a shooting incident like this occurs, but this time its more shocking considering a lunatic dressed in black, wearing a bullet proof vest and carrying 4 weapons murdered innocent children between 5yr and 10yrs old. They hurt no-one and had their lives ahead of them.
    Meanwhile "In over twenty countries around the world, children are direct participants in war. Denied a childhood and often subjected to horrific violence, an estimated 200,000 to 300,000 children are serving as soldiers for both rebel groups and government forces in current armed conflicts"
    Not too much about that on the news today.
    I say have an gun amnesty now, get all the guns rounded up and let people reapply for them with stricter controls.
    Yes, all the criminals, smugglers, dealers and plain idiots will rush to register those weapons.
    Take the right to bear arms out of the constitution. Its a nonsense.
    Most Americans don't feel that way, how do you propose now to remove it?
    Other countries can do without it, make USA do without it.
    Out of interest, which countries have a total ban on firearms?
    May they all RIP.

We agree on something.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

The shooter Adam Lanza was shot by a self inflicted gunshot wound ( ref: wcbs radio )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

MadsL wrote: »
    And I have posted numerous links in this thread to show you that in fact rampage killings are more common in Asia than the US.

Perhaps you should watch less media and do more reading?

I never said there were no problems, what I am reacting to is the fact that people here always react to these events like the only ever happen in the US. Demonstrably they don't, yet we don't have "Typical Norway" or "Sick Germany" comments when they do.

America has over 300 million people, and roughly 20 incidents a year with public shootings not linked to crime.

Meanwhile Mexico has lost almost 100,000 people, the population of Limerick, to drug wars. Can we get a sense of perspective here?

Of course they don't only happen in the US, but getting incredibly defensive about stuff like this doesn't help. Neither does whataboutery. It's a thread discussing a shooting that happened in the US, not Asia or Norway or Germany. It's hardly surprising then that people are going to discuss the problems that exist in that country that leads to this kind of stuff.

Also, why would anyone say "typical Norway"? There was nothing typical about what happened in Norway. They had not had anything like that happen there since the Second World War, and it was an act of terrorism, not a random public shooting with no apparent motive. There's no comparison.

• Advertisement

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Yes and it's not necessarily everybody and their dog. I personally think that section of the constitution was included to ensure the people could be armed in case of an invasion again. They had just won their independence and put measures in place to protect themselves and the country. I would think today, the world is past that.

Switzerland for one, begs to differ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭petersburg2002

Sky news is reporting that the shooter's mother, a teacher at the school, is among the adults shot dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

Sky news is reporting that the shooter's mother, a teacher at the school, is among the adults shot dead.
    Its beginning to sound like a famuly issue that spiraled out of control. Wasn't the father found dead?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

People thought this was the killers twitter account until the real owner posted to say it wasn't.

After reading some of his tweets, it wasn't be a hard assumption to make.

https://twitter.com/Ryan__Lanza

EDIT: he has deleted some of the weird ones.

Gunman, Adam Lanza, graduated from Newtown High School

• Advertisement

Of course they don't only happen in the US, but getting incredibly defensive about stuff like this doesn't help. Neither does whataboutery. It's a thread discussing a shooting that happened in the US, not Asia or Norway or Germany. It's hardly surprising then that people are going to discuss the problems that exist in that country that leads to this kind of stuff.

Also, why would anyone say "typical Norway"? There was nothing typical about what happened in Norway. They had not had anything like that happen there since the Second World War, and it was an act of terrorism, not a random public shooting with no apparent motive. There's no comparison.

So to be clear then shootings that happen in other countries are senseless tragedies, without reason or sense, committed by mentally unstable people.

And the ones that happen in the US are a direct result of either US gun laws, fcked up sick 'merica, or Rambo culture.

Gotcha. Sorry I didn't get it at first.

20 children dead
    6 adults dead plus the shooter
    another adult dead at another location.

Adam Lanza 20- drove in his mother car - killed his mother Nancy .

Used a Glock and a 223 pistol .

Adam Lanza girlfriend is missing

Adam had his brothers ID - to get into pubs / clubs

Thrill wrote: »
    People thought this was the killers twitter account until the real owner posted to say it wasn't.

After reading some of his tweets, it wasn't be a hard assumption to make.

https://twitter.com/Ryan__Lanza

EDIT: he has deleted some of the weird ones.

He clearly needs to check the news. Nothing funny about the situation. Some real dumbasses on Twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭twinytwo

if these assholes want to die so badly why not just eat a bullet or jump off a bridge or something..going in shooting a place up, killing kids.. dosent make you tough or prove some sort of agenda... your just a coward, infact your even less than a coward... its hard to find a word so instead ill use a quote from con air
    For me, you're somewhere between a cockroach and that white stuff that accumulates at the corner of your mouth when you're really thirsty

twinytwo wrote: »
    if these assholes want to die so badly why not just eat a bullet or jump off a bridge or something..going in shooting a place up, killing kids.. dosent make you tough or prove some sort of agenda... your just a coward, infact your even less than a coward.

He even went out of his way to kill the school's counsellor after killing most of the kids in his own mother's kindergarten class. Sick individual indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭justaskin likeyakno

UrbanSea wrote: »
    Can't believe the stupidity of a huge number of Americans defending the gun laws over there. It seems no matter how many of these mass shootings occur they'll still defend it

I,m over here at the moment, anyone I've met is appalled, some are even apologising on behalf of the country.

Most of these crimes are commited using non legally held firearms.

One lady said to me, ''I suppose when you think of the amount of schools there are and it's only one now and then, it's not so bad, just like a plane crashing, loads in the air but you only hear about the ones that crash''..

I was a bit speechless to say the least, an air crash is tragic, a school shooting is senseless.

They're weird here...can't wait to get home..

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

The shooter Adam Lanza was shot by a self inflicted gunshot wound ( ref: wcbs radio )

Of course he was. Coward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

MadsL wrote: »
    Do you know what a Militia is?
    From Google.

The term militia, or irregular army, is commonly used today to refer to a military force composed of ordinary citizens to provide defense, emergency law enforcement, or paramilitary service, in times of emergency without being paid a regular salary or committed to a fixed term of service.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Suryavarman

No statistics!? Are you freaking kidding me!? http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/research/hicrc/firearms-research/guns-and-death/index.html

There is a multitude of evidence out there.

Those studies merely state that homicide is more common in states with more handguns. They don't say what happens when gun ownership in those states increases.

In this interview John Lott talks about his research:
    States with the largest increases in gun ownership also have the largest drops in violent crimes.
    For each additional year that a concealed handgun law is in effect the murder rate declines by 3 percent, rape by 2 percent, and robberies by over 2 percent.

This article refers to Thomas Baker's research into the link between gun ownership and gun crime in Virginia:
    From 2006 to 2011, the total number of guns purchased in Virginia increased 73 percent, while the total number of gun-related violent crimes decreased 24 percent over that period. And when adjusted for population growth, the number of crimes further decreases to more than 27 percent, with 79 gun-related offenses per 100,000 in 2006 dropping to 57 by 2011.

According to this study:
    Nations with stringent anti-gun laws generally have substantially higher murder rates than those that do not. The study found that the nine European nations with the lowest rates of gun ownership (5,000 or fewer guns per 100,000 population) have a combined murder rate three times higher than that of the nine nations with the highest rates of gun ownership (at least 15,000 guns per 100,000 population).
    I love how the pro-gun lobby bring up shootings in other countries to defend their position but than don't delve into the statistics at all. 80 people die in a Norway shooting and yet statistically you are still far less likely to die in a shooting in Norway than any US state of comparative size. The same is true of Germany, Scotland, wherever you want to pick.

People are more likely to die in the US because it is a more violent country. There's no proof that it is because there are more guns.
    And linking to some stabbings in schools in China is not a defense, imagine how many would have died if those perpetrators had access to firearms.

How many people could have been saved if a law abiding citizen had a handgun?
    150 Million is half the population. I think he would need at least three-fourths to make it to "most".

Well I was willing to give him a bit of leeway :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

kincsem wrote: »
    From Google.

The term militia, or irregular army, is commonly used today to refer to a military force composed of ordinary citizens to provide defense, emergency law enforcement, or paramilitary service, in times of emergency without being paid a regular salary or committed to a fixed term of service.

Yes. How are they armed in times of emergency?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

darced wrote: »

The pub bombings were war crimes then?

Based on random rampage killings, American society is "****ed up", do explain.
    Are these killings normal for you?Are you American?

Normal, no. Typical of rampage events that take place in every continent, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

3 guns associated with the shooting found - 2 pistols inside the school, and a rifle in the back of a car

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Suryavarman

There isn't really a difference. It just goes to show that when motivated to commit mass murder, people will do it with whatever weapons they can get their hands on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I don't know a lot about the Iraqi way or how people are there or Russia. I've never been there. I wouldn't claim any moral superiority to those countries based on what others tell me.

I am Irish. Living in America. No mass killings, no matter where in the world are normal for me. It's always sad. My instinctive reaction is not to criticize America, it's a feeling empathy for the people involved.

Rather tragically ironic, Newtown is a suburb of Danbury, voted safest city in the State:

http://www.prayct.org/2008/12/05/danbury-takes-crown-as-states-safest-city/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

How many people could have been saved if a law abiding citizen had a handgun?
    Are you saying that there would be many more mass killings but these have been prevented by citizens with handguns stepping in to kill the gunman before he caused multiple killings?

You are throwing out many "statistics". Why not put up the base numbers, and name the European countries and states. I'd like to see the full picture, not just what the gun lobby have cherry picked.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Well maybe the gun-control supporters would bring up statistics to back up their positions as well if they had any. But they don't because there aren't any. All they can do is name call and demagogue.

The point that they never admit to is this - THEY DON"T CARE. They don't care about those being slaughtered. They don't care about the kids in Columbine. They don't care about the kids in this slaughter. They don't care about their families.

They only care about their guns. They only care about their glorious guns. They only care about themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

It's hardly even a gun problem. It's a people problem. Problems within American society.

Yes. A sick gun-obsessed, violence-obsessed society.

Advertisement